Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

The Sims 3

Old June 11th, 2009, 4:23 am
Third Year

Re: The Sims 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth83 View Post
I've got Sims 2 and various add ons is it worth getting 3? Somebody told me its not much different just better graphics.
The general consensus I've heard is that the traits system, open neighborhood, and just controlling everyone is amazing while the controls, lack of certain features, and controlling everyone (a "double edged sword" :P) is kind of wonky ^^;

"How do I save in the same neighborhood?" seems to be the question of the day on every sim website, and I'm sad to hear that the "Memories" feature is not in the game (Apparently this is pretty annoying too - some players want to know where the heck are all the random babies coming from ).

And I think Eaxis is working on a patch already? Apparently the fast-forward buttons are kind of slow and the story progression feature doesn't work.

Still waiting before I get it... I've got too much work to do before getting obsessed with a new game

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2009, 4:58 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_G135 View Post
The general consensus I've heard is that the traits system, open neighborhood, and just controlling everyone is amazing while the controls, lack of certain features, and controlling everyone (a "double edged sword" :P) is kind of wonky ^^;

"How do I save in the same neighborhood?" seems to be the question of the day on every sim website, and I'm sad to hear that the "Memories" feature is not in the game (Apparently this is pretty annoying too - some players want to know where the heck are all the random babies coming from ).

And I think Eaxis is working on a patch already? Apparently the fast-forward buttons are kind of slow and the story progression feature doesn't work.

Still waiting before I get it... I've got too much work to do before getting obsessed with a new game
I was also very sad to see the Memories feature go away, I alway loved having the memories there to look back at.

I hope the patch makes the game run easier on my computer.

Last edited by Lord Godric; June 11th, 2009 at 6:14 pm.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:32 pm
Zonko's Employee

Yeah, memories are a bad thing to lose. I created a different character (the one my character got maried to after her first love died), and when my character finally met her, she already had a child! I was shocked!

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old June 24th, 2009, 7:54 pm
First Year

I bought the game like two days ago, and I am very excited that it works, but it's sooooo slow! and twice I have had to completely unplug my comp because it froze so bad! I think that the fast forward buttons need some serious sorting out!I haven't been able to get past 11am in a new household because the game is running so slow!.
pft. aparently refunds are a no no if the plastic cover has been removed from the game also.
I love the sims- but I am not impressed .

Old June 24th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Sixth Year

I've been a big Sims fan for years and got Sims 3 2 weeks ago. I would say that it is not a huge improvement from Sims 2. There was a HUGE jump, I felt, from the original Sims to Sims 2. But from Sims 2 to Sims 3, a slight improvement. I haven't had any technical issues that others have had, it does run a little slow, but not to the point of crashing.

I feel the gameplay is a little off. I don't like how you can't have 2 people playing in the same neighborhood (my brother and I). You can, but you have to turn story progression off, but I also want other families besides us age too. I think there should be option to turn progression off for certain households.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old June 24th, 2009, 9:39 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyd View Post
I bought the game like two days ago, and I am very excited that it works, but it's sooooo slow! and twice I have had to completely unplug my comp because it froze so bad! I think that the fast forward buttons need some serious sorting out!I haven't been able to get past 11am in a new household because the game is running so slow!.
pft. aparently refunds are a no no if the plastic cover has been removed from the game also.
I love the sims- but I am not impressed .
Honestly I've had some similar problems, but its probably not the game itself and its your computer. If your computer does not meet the specifications to run the game at maximum quality then it will be slow. Mine is the same and it is because I do not have the correct video graphics card to support the game.

Old June 28th, 2009, 3:14 am
First Year

(Stupidly) I was watching videos and reviews of it, and IT IS SO AWESOME!!!
... I'll be able to play it on monday, but I won't be able to get it until FOREVER

Come pain
come hurt
See the halo
ha-ha-halo
"Hurricanes & Suns"

Old July 30th, 2009, 9:29 pm
First Year

I always had a love/hate relationship with the sims. I'm obsessed with it for a few weeks, and then I get bored.

The Sims 3 has a few innovations. Not enough, imo.

Old August 5th, 2009, 9:41 pm
First Year

They've ALREADY announced the first expansion pack. It sounds like they're trying to make it more real. I'm not too impressed with the game anyway. It's okay, but Sims 2 was a HUGE improvement on Sims 1. Sims 3 just seems to be on the same level as Sims 2, but slightly different. It's also absolutely impossible to make pretty sims

Old August 6th, 2009, 5:58 am
First Year

I have the Sims 3, and it's okay. It's better than The Sims 2 in some aspects, yet worse than others. It's really just different. I've come more accustomed to it, the last couple days I've got back into playing it after taking a hiatus after getting it. As for the new EP they've announced -- eh. Not too excited about it now. I'll see though. It reminds me of Castaway. :P

Old August 6th, 2009, 7:07 am
Second Year

I have the Sims 3 and tried playing it and it crashed nearly every time. Think my laptop's too old. Just gonna have to wait 'til I get a new one, I guess. 'Til then I'll probably reinstall the Sims 2.

Hufflepuff
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:41 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I got Sims 3 two weeks ago and having a new computer is a major plus. I stopped playing Sims 2 on my old computer because it took like half an hour to load, but now this one is fast, so I'm having a good time. Bad thing is my character had five babies! She had one then got pregnant and they ended up beings twins. Then, she got pregnant again with twins. I thought I was going to die. One of my characters had a want for five children. Usually, I wait the til the baby has turned into a kid before I have the character try for another one, but I wanted to fullfill the want. I did not know it would happen quite that fast.

I like being able to control their work, getting the opportunities, and the places they can visit. There's more to do in this version than the previous, though I don't think the graphics have really changed that much.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:53 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I don't think the graphics have really changed that much.
^I disagree. The Sims look really ugly now D: But I guess the graphics are smoother.

I played for a bit, but I get bored of Sims easily. I love using mods and custom content, though. What I like most about Sims 3 is how diverse Sims' personalities can be now.

Old October 5th, 2009, 8:20 pm
First Year

My computer, though it's a mac, has surprisingly been running the Sims 3 really well. However, for some reason, one of my characters is frozen while the rest of them are okay. Does anyone know a solution to this? He happens to be my favorite, and I would hate to put his rock star dreams on hold because he can't move. =P

Old October 6th, 2009, 5:01 am
Zonko's Employee

That happens even when you restart the computer?

Old October 6th, 2009, 6:43 pm
First Year

Yup. :/

Old October 6th, 2009, 7:47 pm
Zonko's Employee

Have you tried reinstalling the program? I'm pretty sure you have the option to save the game files, so you don't lose your games.

Old October 6th, 2009, 9:00 pm
First Year

I will try that and let you know what happens. Thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate it!

Old October 17th, 2009, 7:18 am
Sixth Year

I don't really like Sims 3. It feels too Second Life to me, not at all like Sims 2. I didn't like it.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old June 4th, 2010, 8:06 pm
Registered Animagus

Anyone playing Ambitions EP yet? I really really love it. It's a lot better than I thought it would be. Absolutely fun... and very unpredictable at the same time!

So far my sim has been killed once by electrocution on the washing machine while I was trying to upgrade it. I had to quit and go back to my last save... which was like 2 or 3 sim days before and I had to do a lot of stuff over.

Still... very fun. Love the inventor skill and the new firefighting career.