Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Old August 7th, 2012, 4:01 pm
First Year

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna_Keatley View Post
I absolutely love the DH Part 1 Harry & Hermione dance scene. It's just so well done. The moment of happiness shared between two best friends in what seems like an absolutely hopeless situation. It's beautiful!
I agree! I loved that part!

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2012, 6:11 pm
First Year

I love the possession scene in Order of the Phoenix. It is much broader than the corresponding scene in the book, in which Harry thinks about how death will at least being a reunion with Sirius. In the film this idea is expanded to more overtly show the notion of the power of love expelling Voldemort.

I think it is really well done in the film. On the one hand, they are showing a fairly fuzzy idea - love overcoming possession - and doing so in a really vivid way. The risk with this is that it could have come over as either confusing or cheesy but I think it avoids both of these. It brilliantly uses footage from previous films, making great use of a resource unique to the Harry Potter film (continuity of cast in a long form story told over many films).

It also covers very economically and in a very powerfully visual and cinematic way something that is covered by several expository conversations between Harry and Dumbledore in the books (Harry's power being the capacity to Love)

The scene in HBP where Harry finally persuades Slughorn to give up his memory is one I prefer in the film than in the book.

On the one hand, it is played slightly more for comedic value, with Harry acting all doped up. This broad comedy is meshed with a more absurdest brand of comedy with the funeral rights of Aragog played with a straight face. But all this comedy is contrasted brilliantly with a very moving scene where Slughorn talks about the fish he got from Lily and Harry persuades Slughorn to be brave like Lily.

Tonally, this scene (like much of the film) walks a tightrope but I think they bring it off with one of the most lovely intimate scenes in all the films.

Another change I prefer in the films compared to the books is the The "Mudblood" Slug burp curse scene in CoS. They changed it in the film so that Hermione knows full well what the "Mudblood" insult means, whereas in the book it has to be explained to her later. This gives the scene in the film more overt emotional drama than in the book, and I like it more. I also think it realistic to Hermione's 'know it all' nature that she would be aware of this term and the associated pure blood prejudices. It seems to me that we would have genned up on this even before she arrived at Hogwarts in 1st year.

I guess on the other hand it might be considered slightly out of character for Hermione to get so upset by a term of abuse, which she knows to be ludicrous in basis, uttered by someone she has no respect of affection for. I still think that the scene works better though.

Last edited by chinofjim; August 10th, 2012 at 12:51 am.
Old August 15th, 2012, 9:56 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna_Keatley View Post
I absolutely love the DH Part 1 Harry & Hermione dance scene. It's just so well done. The moment of happiness shared between two best friends in what seems like an absolutely hopeless situation. It's beautiful!
Yes, me too, although I can't stand Hermione and maybe I would have preferred an Harry and Ginny dance scene. And then, the song "Children" by Nick Cave is really beautiful, maybe even for this song that this scene looks good.

Last edited by Verena; August 15th, 2012 at 10:06 pm.
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:08 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I liked the scene just before Harry and Dumbledore come back from the cave, Snape is standing by himself, looking at the sky. They zoom in on his face, and he looks so sad. He is thinking about his promise he made to Dumbledore, his concern for Draco, his love for Lily and how it will look to Harry when he thinks Snape killed Dumbledore.
in the books, Snape is always angry, but in the HBP movie, this is the first time we see how sad and vunerable he can be.

Old August 15th, 2012, 10:09 pm
Fourth Year

I may have said this before, but I really like the Dumbledore-Voldemort battle at the end of OotP. Really creative (blasting glass shards into sand was brilliant), and much much more interesting visually than the battle at the end of DH2. That was sort of disappointing.

On a side note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verena View Post
Yes, me too, although I can't stand Hermione and maybe I would have preferred an Harry and Ginny dance scene. And then, the song "Children" by Nick Cave is really good, maybe even for this song that this scene looks good.
The song is mostly fine, but it rankles me so much that he puts the emphasis on the wrong sylLABles in "the kingdom" (so much so that when I first heard this song in the film, my first thought was "what the heck kind of place is Duckington?"). I'm not a hard-and-fast stickler for scansion, but that sort of thing is really grotesque. Alanis Morissette did that too. Ulch.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:14 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
The song is mostly fine, but it rankles me so much that he puts the emphasis on the wrong sylLABles in "the kingdom" (so much so that when I first heard this song in the film, my first thought was "what the heck kind of place is Duckington?"). I'm not a hard-and-fast stickler for scansion, but that sort of thing is really grotesque. Alanis Morissette did that too. Ulch.
Not familiar with the song, but has it occurred to you that as he's not an American, it could be just how he pronounces things. As an Australian like Cave I can't tell you how annoying it is to hear Americans mispronounce our cities by emphasising the wrong syllable.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 16th, 2012, 6:14 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Not familiar with the song, but has it occurred to you that as he's not an American, it could be just how he pronounces things. As an Australian like Cave I can't tell you how annoying it is to hear Americans mispronounce our cities by emphasising the wrong syllable.
I realize he's not an American (his accent is rather pronounced in the song), but I don't think I've ever heard any Australian (or any English speaker of any dialect, for that matter) say "THUHking DOM" in ordinary speech the way he says it in the song. I mean to say, my capitalization and spacing doesn't do the emphasis justice. It is really jarring.

Keep in mind that he's not saying the name of an actual city, it just sounded to me like he was. He's actually saying "the kingdom."

EDIT: As I say, Alanis Morissette does it too, and she's Canadian. I think this thing, whatever it is, transcends mere nationality. Some singers apparently don't have much trouble playing fast and loose with accenting syllables. Some listeners too.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; August 16th, 2012 at 6:26 am.
Old August 16th, 2012, 2:16 pm
First Year

I liked in DH 2 how Harry steps out of the groups of students after Snapes speech. I feel like it is more powerfull than him just being seen while he walks around the school. Now it is more a shock to the students and teachers.

Old August 24th, 2012, 8:35 pm
Third Year

I liked in the OotP movie when Sirius accidentally refers to Harry as James during the DoM battle. This didn't happen in the book but I thought it was cute and it also shows how Sirius sees Harry more as James/best friend rather than as Harry.

Old August 25th, 2012, 1:07 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I liked in the OotP movie when Sirius accidentally refers to Harry as James during the DoM battle. This didn't happen in the book but I thought it was cute and it also shows how Sirius sees Harry more as James/best friend rather than as Harry.
I have to admit, I liked this too. It was a really big "Aw" moment for me.

Another one- in Deathly Hallows, Harry duels with Voldemort. It was just cool to see Voldemort throwing curse after curse at Harry who is able to shield himself. Makes them seem a bit more equal in power until Voldemort starts choking Harry with his cloak.

Old August 25th, 2012, 1:21 am
Hogwarts Graduate

hmmm, for some reason Magic is Might works better for me on the film , I never liked reading that chapter but watching it, I usually have a good laugh. I know it is supposed to highlight how the Ministry has changed to show the new perspective of the Ministry but the actors playing the trio are hilarious. I simply like it , even if it lightened the mood of the scene.

Another thing I like better is Ron with love potion, Rupert is fabulous ! I had fun reading about it, but watching Ruppert was Fantabulous.

And one more that comes to mind is the moment between Harry and Hermione after Lavander Kisses Ron. It highlights that they are not a couple , that they are friends and even it is a bit cheesy, it shows that they understand each other... I like that moment and find it sweet.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old August 25th, 2012, 3:55 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I liked the scene just before Harry and Dumbledore come back from the cave, Snape is standing by himself, looking at the sky. They zoom in on his face, and he looks so sad. He is thinking about his promise he made to Dumbledore, his concern for Draco, his love for Lily and how it will look to Harry when he thinks Snape killed Dumbledore.
in the books, Snape is always angry, but in the HBP movie, this is the first time we see how sad and vunerable he can be.
I agree, I really liked how this was done.

Most of the other stuff that I liked has probably been mentioned already, but I will say it anyways haha

Some more things that I liked was the dementors in POA (seemed a lot creepier than they did in OoTP, and put together better than the description in the book imo).

The scene in COS with Ron and Lockhart in the Chamber when he loses his memory, (don't know why this came to mind, but oh well)

The whole Umbridge part was played out better in the movies I think, because I just had trouble visioning her

There were many other ones also, but for some reason I cannot think of them off the top of my head

Old August 25th, 2012, 1:14 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I like it too.
It’s so touching that a few moments later he rejoins to the person who he loved so much and who loved him like no one else did

Last edited by Verena; February 11th, 2013 at 5:12 pm.
Old August 26th, 2012, 5:52 am
First Year

^Oh, man, thinking of that is going to make me cry.

I loved in PoA when Remus transforms and Severus comes out of the tunnel how he's so furious with Harry, but when he realizes that there's a fully-grown werewolf right there, he immediately without hesitation protects the children. Even though he's so angry and they've just angered him even more, his first thought is "protect the trio," and I absolutely love that scene so much. -rewatches- And how even when Sirius comes out of nowhere as Padfoot, Severus still keeps the trio behind him.

And I love the possession scene in OotP. It's amazing. It gives me chills.

Old August 26th, 2012, 5:58 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillielle View Post
^Oh, man, thinking of that is going to make me cry.

I loved in PoA when Remus transforms and Severus comes out of the tunnel how he's so furious with Harry, but when he realizes that there's a fully-grown werewolf right there, he immediately without hesitation protects the children. Even though he's so angry and they've just angered him even more, his first thought is "protect the trio," and I absolutely love that scene so much. -rewatches- And how even when Sirius comes out of nowhere as Padfoot, Severus still keeps the trio behind him.
Yes!! This!! I loved this scene the first time I saw it- it shows exactly who Snape really is!

Old August 27th, 2012, 7:24 pm
First Year

I really liked the part in HBP when Hermione makes the canaries chase after ron and they explode on the door. That part was really well done. So was the escape scene in CoS when they are flying outof the chamber and Lockhart yells "This is just like magic!".

Old August 27th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillielle View Post
Yes, that is an awesome scene!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginny_hawthorn View Post
So was the escape scene in CoS when they are flying outof the chamber and Lockhart yells "This is just like magic!".
That is my favorite line from the movie!

Old September 16th, 2012, 8:29 am
Second Year

I liked the final battle between Harry and Voldemort better than in the book. Also, even though I loved it in the book. I thought Dumbledore vs Voldemort was better in the movie.

Old September 20th, 2012, 6:12 am
First Year

Harry and Hermione ravaging each other in DH1 - sexiest moment in the entire series!

Bathilda Bagshot came off extremely creepy in DH1 - the entire segment in Godric's Hollow was shot in a very moody, atmospheric way, both the emotion between Harry and Hermione at his parent's grave and then concluding with the crazy creepy scene at Bagshot's home.

"I'll go with you" - You all know the line! lol. Yates and Klove must have been massive H/Hr shippers because this one line transcended any other line in the movie and probably the series. Hermione is basically saying I would rather go off and die with Harry than live without him. Knowing everything she sacrificed for him, everything she experienced with him, it wouldnt have surprised anyone if Hermione was willing to die to protect Harry - but to put aside everything and everyone in her life and make the ultimate sacrifice not to SAVE Harry but just so that Harry wouldnt have to be alone when he died??? I couldn't believe the implications of this one simple line. To say that Hermione exemplifies courage and selflessness would be an understatement. lol.

Last edited by adrianavery; September 20th, 2012 at 7:05 am. Reason: Additional thing i loved most of all...
Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:17 am
Sixth Year

I really liked how they showed the story of the Peverell brothers. The animation along with Watson's reading were well done.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies