Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.20

Old September 6th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

There appears to be a small amount of alcohol in it. Winky gets drunk on it, and Harry remarks with surprise that it's "not strong." I think that implies it is a weak alcoholic drink...otherwise he'd have said "it's non-alcoholic."

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2011, 2:58 pm
First Year

Re: Butterbeer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
There appears to be a small amount of alcohol in it. Winky gets drunk on it, and Harry remarks with surprise that it's "not strong." I think that implies it is a weak alcoholic drink...otherwise he'd have said "it's non-alcoholic."
Or it might be some other ingredient that causes the drunkness. But given the fact that house-elfs are so tiny, they don't have lots of muscles or other tissues where the alcohol can bind, so it goes straight to their brain, thus causing the strong drunkness on low-level alcohol - percentages. It's like if a 7-year old would drink a beer - he/she would probably be pretty intoxicated even from that small amount. Also the liver of a House-elf is smaller and maybe less efficient in terms of alcohol-burning abilities ( a human can burn 1 gram of alcohol in an hour for every ten kilos of his/her mass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPotter911 View Post
Is butterbeer actually beer/alcohol?

When I was younger and would read a part about Harry or one of the other younger characters having a butterbeer I never thought much of it,but now that i'm older and i read i find it a bit odd.I know that in a thought of places other than America the drinking age is a lot younger but 13 is still really young to be drinking.
Well I know a few people that are my age (18) who have started drinking as 13 year-olds, but it is not the majority of people who do this. I quess the drinking culture is pretty different around the world though. And kids do drink mead right? It has so low level of alcohol in it, that you would have to drink litres of it to get even close to drunk, soI quess it's acceptable to drink butterbeer even if it has some alcohol in it.

Old September 6th, 2011, 4:20 pm
First Year

So first of September never in seven years is on a Saturday? And if it was they students had their first day of classes on a Sunday? Because they always have the sorting feast and the lessons start the next day.

Old September 6th, 2011, 4:48 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saawan View Post
So first of September never in seven years is on a Saturday? And if it was they students had their first day of classes on a Sunday? Because they always have the sorting feast and the lessons start the next day.
Strictly speaking, we only can look at six years, as we didn't see the start of the school year in DH. As far as I know, Harry's first year was 1991:

1991- September 1 is a Sunday
1992- September 1 is a Tuesday
1993- September 1 is a Wednesday
1994- September 1 is a Thursday
1995- September 1 is a Friday
1996- September 1 is a Sunday

So yeah, if the book has them attending classes the day after a definitely September 1 feast in OotP, then it is a bit of an inconsistency.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old September 6th, 2011, 4:59 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Why did Lupin act surprised when Harry told him he'd tried butterbeer? It seems readily available in bottles, so I always found that odd. That and Harry wondering on the train how Lupin knew his name. Seems like everyone knows Harry when they see him, plus all his friends had been yelling his name after he collapsed.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old September 6th, 2011, 5:25 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Why did Lupin act surprised when Harry told him he'd tried butterbeer? It seems readily available in bottles, so I always found that odd.
Indeed, it is a bit odd about the butterbeer. The drink is sold at the Leaky Cauldron, and Harry had spent a good chunk of the beginning of that book in that establishment. Maybe there was an age limit, and Harry was just below it.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old September 6th, 2011, 6:10 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saawan View Post
I wouldn't take the days of the week in the HP series too literally. For instance, November 1, 1981--when Vernon Dursley saw all the weird wizards and witches in traditional garb on his way to work--is a Sunday.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old September 6th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
I wouldn't take the days of the week in the HP series too literally. For instance, November 1, 1981--when Vernon Dursley saw all the weird wizards and witches in traditional garb on his way to work--is a Sunday.
I think the books go by a wizarding calender where days are different. The wizarding world probably has it's own calender that is similar to ours but also vastly different in terms of specific dates. They'd still use months and weeks but the days could be different.

It only mentions it's a Tuesday in the first chapter of PS/SS. Perhaps to the muggle world, it was a different date but it was November 1 by Wizarding world reckoning.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old September 6th, 2011, 6:55 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
I think the books go by a wizarding calender where days are different. The wizarding world probably has it's own calender that is similar to ours but also vastly different in terms of specific dates. They'd still use months and weeks but the days could be different.

It only mentions it's a Tuesday in the first chapter of PS/SS. Perhaps to the muggle world, it was a different date but it was November 1 by Wizarding world reckoning.
Possibly. For myself, I find it easier to accept that Rowling just made an oversight early in the series.

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old September 6th, 2011, 7:16 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Why did Lupin act surprised when Harry told him he'd tried butterbeer? It seems readily available in bottles, so I always found that odd.
It is slightly bizarre, but overall it does not appear that butterbeer is generally brought into the school. After their O.W.L.s, Dean and Seamus argued "about how many black-market Butterbeers they would need" for their post-exam party. And in PoA Ron and Hermione, "Wish [they] could have brought [Harry] some butterbeer" from Hogsmeade. So, overall, it seems that butterbeer is not generally brought into the castle by students. Though Harry was at the Leaky Cauldron at the beginning of PoA, I think Lupin assumed, correctly, that Harry would not know what "butterbeer" was nor would he taste it in Diagon Alley. Thus, he realized that Hogsmeade was the most likely place for Harry to try butterbeer, and given that Harry did not have access to Hogsmeade, Lupin would be suspicious. Especially if Harry then said that Ron and Hermione brought some back for him, when we learn earlier that Ron and Hermione could not bring back butterbeer from Hogsmeade. I think Lupin had reasons to be suspicious - especially when you add on top of all that that Harry is James's son.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul
That and Harry wondering on the train how Lupin knew his name. Seems like everyone knows Harry when they see him, plus all his friends had been yelling his name after he collapsed.
I would say that Harry often tried to forget he was famous and that everyone knew his name. And in times of stress like after he had just passed out to an unknown woman's voice in the presence of a bizarre creature, I think Harry's senses would be a little jarred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung
Possibly. For myself, I find it easier to accept that Rowling just made an oversight early in the series.
This is my thought. The HP Lexicon attempts to fit the series into a daily timeline when information is available, and I think the days of the week that are mentioned/assumed rarely match up to the Gregorian calendar - not only in SS/PS, but throughout the series.

JKR has admitted that she is horrible at math, and I simply do not think she wrote the series with a calendar in front of her, so there are bound to be differences between the Harry Potter calendar and the Gregorian calendar. Yes, it is possible that wizards use a different calendar, but I wonder if JKR would have followed any set calendar while writing the books. So I would say the conflict between days and dates is a genuine inconsistency, but one that is to be expected in a series as large as this one.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 6th, 2011, 7:42 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't like Voldemort. But, still, it is pretty cool that he learn to fly without any visible means of support, i.e. broomstick or thestral and he show Snape how to fly, which shows he really trusted him to the end. This makes regular magical means of Transportation seem so ordinary and not for special wizards like Voldemort.
This is just my opinion and it is something I thought of the other day. Any other thoughts?

Old September 6th, 2011, 7:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I don't like Voldemort. But, still, it is pretty cool that he learn to fly without any visible means of support, i.e. broomstick or thestral and he show Snape how to fly, which shows he really trusted him to the end. This makes regular magical means of Transportation seem so ordinary and not for special wizards like Voldemort.
This is just my opinion and it is something I thought of the other day. Any other thoughts?
We only have Minerva's statement that Snape learned to fly from his 'master'. As we find out later than Voldemort wasn't Snape's master I wonder if the former is also false.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 6th, 2011, 7:59 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I know, but it still seems like something Voldemort would teach Snape. He saw Snape as loyal until the end, when Harry told him otherwise. I guess we wouldn't know for sure how either one learned how to fly. But it still seems special to fly.

Old September 6th, 2011, 8:06 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I know, but it still seems like something Voldemort would teach Snape. He saw Snape as loyal until the end, when Harry told him otherwise. I guess we wouldn't know for sure how either one learned how to fly. But it still seems special to fly.
It certainly is special.

I like to think it was Snape who found out how to fly and shared it with Voldemort to further his standing with his 'master'.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old September 6th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Oh, I thought of that too. But, somehow, having someone "teach Voldemort" anything seems odd. Voldemort sees himself as the greatest wizard, learning how to fly was for special people like him and maybe a few others.

Old September 6th, 2011, 8:51 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
We only have Minerva's statement that Snape learned to fly from his 'master'. As we find out later than Voldemort wasn't Snape's master I wonder if the former is also false.
Actually, even Minerva's statement is indirect; didn't she say something along the lines of, "Apparently, [Snape] has learned a few tricks from his master"?

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:09 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
Actually, even Minerva's statement is indirect; didn't she say something along the lines of, "Apparently, [Snape] has learned a few tricks from his master"?
Yes, that's correct.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old September 7th, 2011, 8:41 am
First Year

So quick question,where does the Harry Potter wiki site get all its information from because i doubt J.k. is the one adding all the information, so where did these people learn all the stuff they add?

Old September 7th, 2011, 9:15 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPotter911 View Post
So quick question,where does the Harry Potter wiki site get all its information from because i doubt J.k. is the one adding all the information, so where did these people learn all the stuff they add?
From the books, interviews given by JKR, websites dedicated to the books and HP world (like The Leaky Cauldron, Mugglenet etc)

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 7th, 2011, 9:18 am
First Year

so do all these website get there information from J.K.?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References