Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Plot holes, inconsistencies, and contradictions v3

Old July 18th, 2011, 7:28 am
Second Year

Re: Plot holes, inconsistencies, and contradictions v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I do wonder how Draco discovered that the vanishing cabinet was in the Room though.
Since he knew about the room from the previous year he might have just asked it to show him where the vanishing cabinet was hidden.

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2011, 3:12 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revaunch View Post
Since he knew about the room from the previous year he might have just asked it to show him where the vanishing cabinet was hidden.
I'm not sure the Room would work that way. I would think that that would be like Harry asking for the Room where Draco is. If someone uses the Room to hide something, it would seem that it will not allow someone to just ask for a Room to find that thing, because that would contradict the first Room.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old July 18th, 2011, 4:43 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
I don't know about this. I think that it is a bit of an assumption to make. I think it would make sense for him to have known that it was the ideal hiding place because that was what he had asked for- so I think he would in fact have been more inclined if he did know the magic of the room. All in all, though, it is hard to say. Perhaps I am overlooking a quote.
I think very few people knew exactly what the Room of Requirement was capable of. The house-elves knew about it and used it - and Dobby passed that knowledge on to Harry - but the staff and students seem to come across it by accident more often than not. For the Weasley twins, it became a broom closet for them to use to hide from Filch - they never realized the room was magical and could become other things until the DA started using it. Even Dumbledore didn't know about that and he had also used the room - it met his need to use the bathroom by becoming a room filled with chamberpots. Dumbledore was able to detect magic, but he didn't realize what that room actually was and was never able to find it again.

For a while I wondered how much Professor Trelawney knew about the room, but in reading that passage again, it doesn't appear she knew very much at all. It was Harry who identified the room as the Room of Requirement when he asked her if she was trying to get into it. I think Trelawney - like many before her - just happened upon the room while looking for a place to hide things. She may have even discovered the "hiding room" as a student.

Hermione didn't know about the room either - which tells us it was not covered in Hogwarts, A History. The Room of Requirement remains a mystery. Was it something created by the castle because it was such a magical place? Was it something the house-elves created to help them perform their duties? Was it created by one of the founders - or all of them? However it came to be, it remained a secret room that very few knew about or fully understood.

I think Riddle probably stumbled across the room in a manner similar to the twins and Dumbledore. Dumbledore knew Riddle and his gang were responsible for various nasty incidents while at Hogwarts, but he could never prove it. Riddle may have found himself in need of a room to hide things on more than one occasion during his time at Hogwarts. He apparently created both the diary and ring Horcruxes during that time. I can see him wanting to hide those even then - particularly after he had framed Hagrid for opening the Chamber of Secrets because he knew Dumbledore was keeping a close eye on him. I doubt he ever saw any other incarnation for the room. I can also see him keeping a close eye on that area to see if any other students knew about the room and used it.

It does appear that Voldemort knew the room was magical, but Dumbledore got that much from the room appearing for him when it did and not being there when he went back. Dumbledore never figured out exactly what the magic of that room was. I don't think Voldemort figured that out either - not completely. It would have appeared for him as a hidden room with a lot of useless junk in it - making it a perfect hiding spot because it would be next to impossible for someone to find something in that room unless they knew exactly what it was and had a good idea where it had been placed. Perhaps he thought his ancestor, Salazar Slytherin, had created the room to hide things from the other founders while he was building the Chamber of Secrets - which is very possible.

Either way, I can see where Voldemort would believe he was the only person who knew about the room because everything in there was old. It would have appeared to be a forgotten room to him - and the entrance being hidden would support that conclusion as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
I'm not sure the Room would work that way. I would think that that would be like Harry asking for the Room where Draco is. If someone uses the Room to hide something, it would seem that it will not allow someone to just ask for a Room to find that thing, because that would contradict the first Room.
I agree. The magic of the room would prevent anyone from finding it that way. It didn't even show up on Harry's map and, as Neville explained in DH, the exit could change locations within the castle to prevent anyone from figuring out exactly where the room was.

I think it's more likely that Draco found out from Montague - or because of him - along with his realization that Montague's story about the cabinet meant there were two that created a pathway between them. Montague could have heard the staff discussing the need to get rid of the cabinet. Likewise, Draco could ask someone what was done with things that were broken - or even broken a piece of furniture himself to see what was done with it. He could also have found out from Umbridge or Filch the previous year - using Umbridge's admiration for Lucius to get information from her wouldn't have been very difficult, IMO. Umbridge likely instructed Filch to get rid of the cabinet after what happened to Montague. In that event, the Inquisitorial Squad may have been present for that since that incident occurred after Dumbledore left the school.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old July 18th, 2011, 6:42 pm
Second Year

An inconsistency that's always slightly bothered me is the rarity of the Parselmouth ability. In Chamber of Secrets Diarymort says that him and Harry are likely the only two Parselmouths to come to Hogwarts since Salazar Slytherin himself. That is what, three people that can talk to snakes in a thousand years? Sure, there's other wizarding schools and plenty of other witches and wizards that could have that ability, but Dumbledore tells Harry that there are Parselmouths among the great and the good as well. I always took that to mean there were good wizards that could talk to snakes as well, but we never hear of them. Possibly, Dumbledore was just referencing that Harry could do it and he wasn't a dark wizard, and if that's what Dumbledore means then that's a bit disappointing.

Old July 18th, 2011, 6:53 pm
Eldest Gruff

#4 is up.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References