Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Snape and Dumbledore: Joint Character Analysis

View Poll Results: How do you think Dumbledore and Snape viewed their relationship?
Colleagues 122 27.85%
Collaborators 225 51.37%
Friends 150 34.25%
Other 127 29.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 16th, 2011, 4:19 am
Fifth Year

Re: Snape and Dumbledore: Joint Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
I must be missing something here, I didn't read books in the series that were written in the First person from Harry's point of view. I read books that were written in the Third person with an omniscient narrator point of view.
I must respectfully disagree. The Harry Potter books are written in third person limited.

Third person omniscient is a tale told from the point of view of a storyteller who plays no part in the story but knows all the facts, including the characters' thoughts. It sometimes even takes a subjective approach, when the narrator conveys the thoughts, feelings, opinions, etc. of one or more characters. this almost never happens in the Potter books -- we usually only see the thoughts, feelings, opinions, etc. of the other characters through Harry's perception.

A shining example of third person omniscient/subjective is J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. The viewpoint is constantly shifting between characters, from Frodo to Sam to Aragorn to Denethor to Gandalf. About the only viewpoint we don't get is Sauron's.

If it is just one character, it can be termed third person limited, in which the reader is "limited" to the thoughts of some particular character (often the protagonist) as in the first-person mode (though still giving personal descriptions using "he", "she", "it", and "they", but not "I"). This is almost always the main character. This is patently the voice of the Potter books -- we see all the characters as Harry sees them, we experience their thoughts, feelings, opinions, etc. only as Harry sees or hears them. We're never inside Hermione's head, for example -- when the polyjuice gives her a tail and fur, we're not inside her head, we only see her from Harry's viewpoint.

[/didact]

As for what Harry believed about Snape being Dumbledore's man, I think he said it to rattle Voldemort, and I think, after seeing the memories, he knew it was true. Why would he cherry pick to believe one memory (he had to die in order to kill Voldemort) and not believe another (that Snape had been DD's man for the past 16 years)? That doesn't make any sense to me. Not to mention it sets aside the implied truthfulness of what was essentially a deathbed confession by Snape, made so that Harry would have the knowledge he needed to kill Voldemort...

JMHO, YMMV.

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO

Last edited by SadiraSnape; August 16th, 2011 at 4:27 am.
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2011, 4:52 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
Ah...but did he do this to undermine Voldemort's confidence or because he believed it to be the truth? The Third person omniscient narrator does not tell us, we have to make up our own minds as to Harry's motives here. Is he telling the absolute truth or is he playing Voldemort? Either way we are left to wonder about Harry's true feelings about Snape at this point in time. IMO.
Both. He most certainly wanted to shake Tom's confidence. But I think that he also wanted Tom to know the truth: that Snape was DD's man. You are correct that we don't know Harry's true feelings, but as I stated, I choose to believe that Harry started on his path of forgiving Snape at this moment. And I do think Harry believed what he was telling Voldemort. After all, Voldemort was an accomplished Legilimens - he would have known if Harry had been lying to him. But Harry honestly believed the truth in every word he spoke (at least, IMHO)

Quote:
I personally find Dumbledore somewhat emotionally cold and detached. Although I have no doubts that he really did love Harry.
This is a great way of explaining DD. He does often seem to be detached from the feelings others around him have. In his relationship with Snape, I think he shows this many times, perhaps the most when he asks Snape to kill him. Well actually, he does not ask: DD tells Snape that Snape must be the one to kill him. He doesn't stop to consider what it might mean for Snape to have to do this unfathomable act; instead, DD just demands it.

However, other times in DD, we see a great sadness, even helplessness. It's like he knows what sorrow others must face and he knows he can do nothing to stop it. DD has a great mind and with that great mind, he often sees the potential outcomes of a thousand decisions months/years down the road. But with that knowledge, he often has to stand alone and lead others to do tasks that DD knows will hurt them (all for the greater good, of course). I find his relationship with Snape to be quite complex for this reason.

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Old August 16th, 2011, 5:08 am
First Year

Quote:
Well actually, he does not ask: DD tells Snape that Snape must be the one to kill him. He doesn't stop to consider what it might mean for Snape to have to do this unfathomable act; instead, DD just demands it.
I don't think Dumbledore is lacking compassion here when he tells Snape that he must be the one to kill him. He expected Snape to respond and take action as a soldier in a war, which Snape does after a few snarky remarks, at the same time protecting Draco from having his soul ripped apart. Dumbledore and Snape were also in agreement that if Draco was unable to kill Dumbledore, Voldemort would eventually have Snape do it anyway. Snape knew this moment would come, sooner than later, and I am sure he preferred it to be on Dumbledore's terms than Voldemort's.

I think Dumbledore does seem to keep his emotions at bay, but we do see throughout the series that he certainly has them. We see him laugh, joke, cry, be fearful ... but he does seem to be able to separate emotions from reason as many people in positions of power have to do. I think Dumbledore understood others and interacted effectively with others, even those he found illogical and unreasonable - like Fudge.

Old August 16th, 2011, 7:39 am
MODLY CREW

Just in case you were wondering, the discussion of literary techniques and narrative devices is not on-topic in this thread. Everyone, even those not knowing what Chekhov's gun, a bildungsroman or a third-person limited point of view etc. is, is allowed to participate here and shouldn't feel excluded by posters doing literature 101.

Old August 20th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

From the Snape thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamentine View Post
Maybe that’s why DD took Snape under his wings and always trusted him. He saw himself in Snape and knew that everyone makes mistakes when they’re young.
Interesting list Flamentine - I've always thought that the similarities are the thing that most 'disgust' Dumbledore

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Old August 20th, 2011, 3:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittling View Post
From the Snape thread

Interesting list Flamentine - I've always thought that the similarities are the thing that most 'disgust' Dumbledore
Yeah, but not similarities with your very own self, and not the similarities in stepping the right way.:-)

Old August 20th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundOfMagic View Post
Yeah, but not similarities with your very own self, and not the similarities in stepping the right way.
Actually if you look at Flamentine’s list there are points which I think address both the person/character (1st point) and the reasons for turning ‘back to the light’ (3rd point).

Personally I think seeing a young man who has made many of the same mistakes he had coming to him for help must have been very uncomfortable for Albus. Especially when there was a chance that Severus would be able to stop someone dying as a result of his mistakes – could Albus really not have wondered for a moment what would have happened if he had broken away from Grindewald before Arianna had been murdered? It must have been a bitter pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamentine View Post
Today I came to conclusion that Snape’s interest in Voldemort and DE is a lot like Dumblerdore’s fascination with Grindewald .
- Both , DD and Snape were young, smart and also somewhat naïve. They wanted to be a part of something greater so much that they didn’t see or didn’t want to see how wrong it really was;
- Both put a lot of time and work in their new ventures they forgot what was really important, DD neglected his sister, Snape ruined his friendship with Lily;
- Both came to their senses when they lost someone important (or in Snape’s case, when he realized he may lose someone important to him - I noticed that many of you refer to Lily’s death was a turning point for Snape. I think it wasn’t really her death but awareness that nothing will stop LV from killing Lily if he have to do this. After all, he came to DD, promising anything for protection of Potters before that eventful night, and I think that this meeting on the hill was his turning point and personally believe that even if Potters didn’t die he’d remain on a good side .
Of course, there were many differences, for example Grindewald found DD as smart as he was, whereas LV he was too self-absorbed to treat anyone as equal although he valued Snape’s skills and knowledge.
Maybe that’s why DD took Snape under his wings and always trusted him. He saw himself in Snape and knew that everyone makes mistakes when they’re young.
Another similarity is that both would probably wanted to see similar things in the mirror of Erised – the victim of their mistake alive, whole and happy.

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Old September 25th, 2011, 7:38 am
Second Year

Carried over from the Snape thread, on how Dumbledore might have convinced Snape that letting Harry die was ultimately the right thing to do:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow View Post
Ironically, I think it is once Protect Harry is tossed out the window as a mission and Snape takes on the mission Make Sure Harry Dies that Snape starts to work for Good and earn some redemption, because then it isn't about Snape's feelings, it's actually about protecting the Wizarding World. Snape doesn't die on a mission to protect Harry, he dies on a mission to make sure Harry is killed.
My Reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Snape View Post
I don't see it that way. I think, in his mind, he may have seen protecting Harry as synonymous with atonement. And I think his personal commitment to protect Harry grew into a broader respect for the sanctity of life:

The Prince's Tale"You have kept him alive so that he can die at the right moment?"

"Don't be shocked, Severus. How many men and women have you watched die?"

"Lately, only those whom I could not save," said Snape. He stood up. "You have used me."[/i]

Dumbledore's mission was always to defeat Voldemort, and although canon doesn't show us anything after "always", I think the conversation must have continued in order to go from Snape being full of emotion (feeling horrified, feeling used, standing up in defiance to Dumbledore, casting his patronus) to Snape being rational about the situation, and agreeing to do his best to bring about Harry's death by Voldemort's hand.

How Snape went from being opposed, to being on board, is a matter of debate, IMO. Personally, I imagine Snape must have felt defeated that he was being asked to abandon his commitment to protect Harry, because again, in his mind, he may have seen that as synonymous with atonement. Therefore, I think Dumbledore must have explained to Snape that not only was defeating Voldemort imperative to preventing the deaths of innocent people, but that defeating Voldemort was ultimately the best way to atone for his hand in Lily's death as well, and that necessarily meant letting Voldemort kill Harry. JMO.
Reply from FurryDice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I think this was an important development for Snape. I think it forced him to realise that this could never be about what he wanted. There were more important things than Severus Snape making amends to Lily. Defeating Voldemort and keeping other families safe was more important, and I think it was a huge development for Snape to finally realise that. It was a change from the man who didn't care who was murdered as long as it wasn't Lily.
My reply:
I don't see it exactly like that.

First of all, I think his ethic of justice alone, shows a monumental change in Snape. Simply standing up and saying that he wouldn't let people die if there was anything he could do to prevent it shows that Snape had already come from a man "who didn't care who was murdered, as long as it wasn't Lily" to a man who wouldn't allow anyone to be murdered if there was anything he could do to prevent it -- Harry included. No exceptions. No special conditions. That's a very strong ethic of justice, IMO. It's a principle that is diametrically opposed to his worldview from his DE days, and he stands so firmly in his position that I believe the conversation must have continued after "always", and I believe Dumbledore had to show Snape that he was neither failing/betraying Lily nor being unethical by allowing Harry to die.

Second, with regard to how I believe that exchange would have gone down, I believe Dumbledore had to help Snape reconcile his ethic of justice(for the greater good), with his personal quest for atonement (for Lily), by showing him that they were one and the same, not by explaining to him that one was more important than the other.
Continued here:

In the scene after Lily's death, in Dumbledore's office, Dumbledore tells Snape that there is one way to go forward, but he sort of explained it in 2 ways. He told Snape that if he loved Lily Evans, his way forward was clear, and then he asked Snape to protect Harry so that Lily's death would not be in vain.

So I think in Snape's mind, protecting Harry (atoning for Lily's death) became synonymous with serving Dumbledore (the greater good as his way forward). Serving Dumbledore became synonymous with atoning for Lily's death. Protecting Harry became synonymous with serving the greater good - and whatever other combinations you can think of, but basically I think that's why he was totally horrified & dumbfounded when Dumbledore told him that Harry had to die.

Protecting Harry = means serving the greater good, which is ethical (Error! letting people die is not ethical, letting Harry die is unethical and not serving the greater good)
Serving Dumbledore = is the way to atone for Lily's death, and keeps her death from being in vain (Error! If Harry died, Lily's death would be in vain. Dumbledore is asking me to let Harry die. Dumbledore is letting Lily's death be in vain, and if I followed his orders, I would be failing & betraying Lily instead of atoning).

This mental process is frustrating (but hilarious, too ) I think Snape has such a hard-logic way of looking at things that is not easy to relate to. But basically, I think that's why he flipped out, and I imagine that Dumbledore had to help him untie those knots in his mind.

I would guess that what Dumbledore pointed out was very simple: Snape would be serving the greater good by doing all that was necessary to defeat Voldemort, and serving the greater good in itself would be atoning for Lily's death, since his decision to join Voldemort & the DEs in the first place is what led to the tragedy. Defeating Voldemort would require that he first destroy the part of his soul that resided in Harry, so despite all of their effots to keep Harry alive, helping Dumbledore carry out this plan was ultimately the right thing to do.

I think Dumbledore had to show Snape that there was no conflict, and that's why Snape did change his mind, and put his faith & trust in Dumbledore's judgement on Harry's predicament.

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved

Last edited by Charlotte_Snape; September 25th, 2011 at 8:01 am. Reason: clarity
Old September 25th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Snape View Post
I think Dumbledore had to show Snape that there was no conflict, and that's why Snape did change his mind, and put his faith & trust in Dumbledore's judgement on Harry's predicament.
Where and how, in your opinion, did Dumbledore show this? I don't see it, but would be interested in reconsidering the relevant bits in light of your view of them.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old September 25th, 2011, 2:52 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I personally have always thought that Snape worked it out on his own with no help from Dumbledore.

We don't have canon to show directly how Snape got from his shock to his acceptance, but I have always thought that his acceptance, like his shock, came about because his moral center had shifted during all those years (the discussion with Dumbledore illustrates that shift imo, as Charlotte illustrates).

IMO Snape does not accept the final mission merely for the sake of Lily and her son - because I think it is impossible to do so - but for something bigger: the preservation of the Wizarding World. He has had nearly a year to watch what the world is like with Voldemort in charge. But he, despite his snarkiness, is now more about saving lives (conversation with Dumbledore + 7 Potters) than about seeing people eaten for dinner by Nagini.

I don't think it was necessary for Dumbledore to explain it all to him and convince him that there was something bigger at stake than Lily. I think Snape was capable of following the evidence of his senses (i.e. watching Voldemort's destructive path) once Dumbledore was dead and making the connections and drawing conclusions himself. In other words, I think Dumbledore taught him well during their years of working together, and that when it came time for him to stand on his own, Snape was fully capable of standing up and choosing the right thing on his own. And the right thing was not what he had originally thought it was going to be.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; September 25th, 2011 at 2:56 pm. Reason: Clarity
Old September 25th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Second Year

Regardless of whether or not Albus went on to elaborate on exactly why Severus should go along with the plan for the greater good (I don't think he would have had to but he may have done in order to expedite mutual understanding in the light of the the urgency of the situation), I think that the interaction may shed some light on the relation between the two. In formal and public interactions, Dumbledore often goes out of his way to be clear and polite. In this instance, and in the "you have to kill me, Severus" conversation, Dumbledore appears playfully ironic and even rather flippant with Snape given the seriousness of the topics at hand. For me, this seems to be an indicator of the level of understanding and trust that existed between the two. We see Dumbledore act similarly with Harry and other trusted friends and allies. This reminds me of a lot of interactions between my own family and friends, where both parties are able to let down their guard and not worry about general standards of social etiquette and about whether or not our motives or meanings will be unfairly questioned or misinterpreted. We very rarely see Snape in these sorts of interactions, where he is met as an equal in terms of bluntness and mutual sincerity (though we seem him often in mutual exchanges of animosity). In my mind, these interactions indicate the closeness and understanding between the Dumbledore and Snape that exists not only from their long term partnership, and eventually friendship, but also because the two are not nearly as dissimilar as they seem at first glance.

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
— G.K. Chesterton

Old September 25th, 2011, 5:15 pm
Second Year

I think Dumbledore used Snape as a means to an end in the beginning, but probably came to respect and trust him over time. Hopefully he regretted having to sacrifice him for the greater good.

From Snape's perspective, Dumbledore had seen intensely personal things about Snape that nobody else knew about, and I believe the fact that he didn't go back on his word not to reveal them probably went a long way towards Snape respecting and trusting him as well.

Dumbledore always seemed a bit impersonal to me, and a bit manipulative, even though he basically always advocated for good. He and Snape were the two most complex characters in the series, in my opinion. Neither could be neatly pigeonholed.

Old September 27th, 2011, 11:27 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDahB View Post
We very rarely see Snape in these sorts of interactions, where he is met as an equal in terms of bluntness and mutual sincerity (though we seem him often in mutual exchanges of animosity). In my mind, these interactions indicate the closeness and understanding between the Dumbledore and Snape that exists not only from their long term partnership, and eventually friendship, but also because the two are not nearly as dissimilar as they seem at first glance.
I'm at about 99.9% agreement with these sentiments--there's just one uncomfortable fact I can't shake off. I just cannot find where Snape ever calls Dumbledore by his first name. I can't find where he calls any of the "good guys" by their first names. First name use is, as far as I can tell, reserved for Narcissa, Bellatrix and Lucius. And I feel that means something.

Unless, of course, I've just missed it in the canon--entirely possible. I hope I'm wrong! Do any members know of instances where Snape uses the first name of anyone besides Death Eaters, Dumbledore in particular? Please, please share!

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old September 28th, 2011, 2:55 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
Do any members know of instances where Snape uses the first name of anyone besides Death Eaters, Dumbledore in particular? Please, please share!
Will answer in the Snape thread.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old September 28th, 2011, 8:43 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
I'm at about 99.9% agreement with these sentiments--there's just one uncomfortable fact I can't shake off. I just cannot find where Snape ever calls Dumbledore by his first name. I can't find where he calls any of the "good guys" by their first names. First name use is, as far as I can tell, reserved for Narcissa, Bellatrix and Lucius. And I feel that means something.
I don't find it that surprising, given the different circumstances in which their relationships began. Lucius is a former schoolfriend, so Snape calling him and his wife by their first names seems natural to me. But there's a huge age difference between Dumbledore and Snape, Dumbledore is in a position of authority over Snape and, indeed, was actually one of his teachers when he was himself a pupil, so I think Snape calling Dumbledore "Albus" might seem as inappropriate and presumptious as calling Lucius "Malfoy" would seem cold and distant.

Old September 28th, 2011, 2:08 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka
I don't find it that surprising, given the different circumstances in which their relationships began. Lucius is a former schoolfriend, so Snape calling him and his wife by their first names seems natural to me. But there's a huge age difference between Dumbledore and Snape, Dumbledore is in a position of authority over Snape and, indeed, was actually one of his teachers when he was himself a pupil, so I think Snape calling Dumbledore "Albus" might seem as inappropriate and presumptious as calling Lucius "Malfoy" would seem cold and distant.
I think it is difficult to judge characters' relationships with Dumbledore based on how they addressed him. For the most part he seems to be called and alluded to as "Dumbledore" (with or without "Professor" or "Headmaster" preceding). When speaking to him, most of the Order seems to have called him by his surname; even Fudge, the Minister of Magic, used this "formality." One interesting exception is McGonagall, who calls him both Albus and Dumbledore in conversation. But I see Minerva as someone who knew Dumbledore a long time (though, notably, she was Dumbledore's student), they shared an interest in Transfiguration, and she had a position of authority (Deputy Headmistress) at Hogwarts.

However, since we have McGonagall's example, I think it is telling that Snape addresses Dumbledore by his surname. McGonagall was a student that formed a relationship/friendship with Dumbledore, and she felt comfortable calling him "Albus." Snape, meanwhile, was also a student that spent a lot of private time with Dumbledore; yet he refers to him as "Dumbledore." What does this tell us, then? Nothing definite, of course. But to me it seems to imply that Snape never considered his relationship with Dumbledore as personal and overtly friendly - it was more of a professional connection. If he and Dumbledore grew to become true friends I think it would have shown by Snape growing comfortable addressing Dumbledore in a more friendly manner. However, he does not. Of course, this refusal could just be part of a persistent respect for Dumbledore. But to me it indicates that Snape never saw himself as Dumbledore's equal and that their relationship did not blossom into friendship or genuine caring/love. And I think Snape's line of business (i.e. perpetual spy for Voldemort) may have contributed to that lingering distance between the student and his old headmaster.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 28th, 2011, 3:12 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Of course, this refusal could just be part of a persistent respect for Dumbledore. But to me it indicates that Snape never saw himself as Dumbledore's equal and that their relationship did not blossom into friendship or genuine caring/love. And I think Snape's line of business (i.e. perpetual spy for Voldemort) may have contributed to that lingering distance between the student and his old headmaster.
I think Snape never saw himself as Dumbledore's equal, but I don't see that as evidence that it didn't grow into genuine caring on Snape's part (I'm of the opinion that Dumbledore did care about Snape).

One thing I remember (actually, I think either SIP or Melaszka pointed this out not too long ago) is the similaritiy in Snape's reaction to killing Dumbledore, and Harry's reaction to feeding Dumbledore the potion in the cave.

Quote:
Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face.
Quote:
Hating himself, repulsed by what he was doing, Harry forced the goblet back toward Dumbledore's mouth and tipped it, so that Dumbledore drank the remainder of the potion inside.
Harry certainly respected & cared for DD, so I think it's reasonable to believe that Snape did respect and care deeply for DD as a confidant & guide, but maybe desired to keep an emotional distance because of his line of work, as you say.

Old September 28th, 2011, 6:03 pm
The Potions Master

I think just using last names--which he did with the students as well--helped him keep a distance that he needed to protect himself as well as his associates.

I would also hope, that if both had survived, they would have become even closer. There is part of GoF where Snape leaves and returns to Voldemorte...

Quote:
"Severus," said Dumbledore, turning to Snape, "you know what I must ask you to do. If you are ready . . . if you are prepared . . ."

"I am," said Snape.

He looked slightly paler than usual, and his cold, black eyes glittered strangely.

"Then good luck," said Dumbledore, and he watched, with a trace of apprehension on his face, as Snape swept wordlessly after Sirius.

It was several minutes before Dumbledore spoke again.
I've always hoped that DD's first concern was for his friend Severus and secondly for the mission.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old September 28th, 2011, 6:53 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrormere
I've always hoped that DD's first concern was for his friend Severus and secondly for the mission.
Me too I think they both knew the risk that Snape was walking into, and they must have realized that this moment might be the last time they would ever see each other. I imagine the urgency of a moment like that would be similar to having your life flash before your eyes; they would have both been confronted with how much the other person & relationship meant to them.

So, yes, I like to think Dumbledore's trace of apprehension/fear (and maybe the first of those several minutes of silence) was definitely for Severus. And Snape's black eyes "glittering strangely", could easily have been..... ::gulp:: tears

:::ducks & runs away :::::

Old September 28th, 2011, 7:31 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
The fact that it takes him several minutes to recover the power of speech tells me that Dumbledore is far more concerned for Severus than for the success of the mission.

The worst that can happen with regard to the mission at this point in Voldemort's return is that Dumbledore loses the man he plans to use as an infiltrator. The worst that can happen with regard to Severus is that he loses his life.

I doubt that losing his spy would have caused several minutes of silence on Dumbledore's part. The response seems more emotional than that. This moment strikes me as showing personal, not professional, concern.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies