Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:08 pm
Master Seer

Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme2 View Post
I know I'm in a serious minority here, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Draco. He did try to befriend Harry at the very beginning, albeit in a completely inappropriate way. I don't think he really had anyone to call friend, he would only have been allowed to play with children from "suitable" families. His attempt to reach out beyond that limited circle was clearly a dismal failure, but I'd like to think that he got better at it. Crabbe and Goyle were always lackeys, never really friends. The whole series is about Harry (duh) and we didn't ever see what went on amongst the Slytherins. Draco may very well have made true friends there as well. It certainly brought him up short when Dumbledore mentioned Greyback being at Hogwarts amongst Draco's friends.
In PoA (the movie anyway) we see Draco pushing Crabbe and Goyle out of the way to escape a "ghost". In DH we see him making a valiant effort to save Goyle and mourning Crabbe's death. I see that as proof that he's grown-up and begun to make his own path.
I absolutely agree. When Draco met Harry for the first time, he didn't know who he was, and did want to befriend him. He had little clue how to do that, copying - like usually - his father, because that's what worked before with kids like Crabbe and Goyle. But the attempt was genuine.

Draco is Narcissa's son, too, and there's one thing we see about every member of the Black family that we come to meet - they show the fiercest loyalty to their chosen friends/family. Regulus was willing to fall out of favour with mighty Voldemort for the sake of the family's butler even. Sirius would have died for his friends. Andromeda left her parents for the sake of her later husband. Bella was absolutely devoted to Voldy. And Narcissa was willing to risk everything on behalf of Draco and Lucius. Draco inherited that loyalty to his friends

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:25 pm
Second Year

Draco is just a product of his upbringing. I think deep down he didn't really believe in all the things his father told him; it's just that his father was always saying those things while he was growing up so he basically thought it was all truth. In HBP we see that he didn't have it in him to kill Dumbledore, and in DH he hesitated to give up the identiy of the trio.

I wonder, though now that he has a child if he is raising him more different than how Lucius raised him especially after what came about in DH.

Old August 10th, 2007, 12:57 am
First Year

1. When we first meet Draco, Harry sees him as a pampered, snobbish, bully. Did JKR plant the seeds from the beginning that he would grow to be a Death Eater?

I am sure she probably did because in her interviews she says that all the books were planned out from the very beginning and only minor changes have been made to the plot. I think she wanted to develop Draco's character more. Instead of leaving him simply as a wimp and bully who only craved to be powerful, she put him in a situation where he could experience what it felt like to truly work for Voldemort. That was the only way that readers would be able to make a fair judgement on whether Draco is "evil" or "good" (in his decision to not kill Dumbledore/disobey the dark side). I personally learned that Draco is more than what he seemed to be in the first few books. His deeper side comes out in HBP and he turns out to be a stonger character.

2. Draco grew up in a home with a mother from the notorious House of Black and a father who was a Death Eater that held favor with Voldemort. Lucius craves wealth, status and power. He is a demanding father and expects nothing less than excellence from his son.

I am not sure what the question is but I have to say that the Malfoy family is unlike any other death eater family in the fact that they are probably the only ones that can truly love (which is seen by how much they care for each other). I know that Lucius wants his son to live up to his name but I think that like Narcissa (maybe not as much), he loves his son and wants only the best for him. It's not like he threatens Draco or abuses him. Therefore, even though Draco's parents come from dark/cruel (I'm not sure how to put it...maybe "evil") families, the Malfoys are different in my opinion, just like Sirius.

3. Is Draco truly making his choices of his own volition? How much of his choice is derived from fear, or is it bravado?

Am I right in believing that you are mainly talking about his task in the HBP? I think that regardless of whether Draco wanted this task or not, he still would not have had a (real) choice in it. Also, I am sure that Draco is also influenced a lot by his father and maybe wants to impress him. The fact that he was excited at first, shows that he is not a wimp (maybe stupidity but not fear). Then, near the end, he realises the difficulty of the task and only continues to try to complete it out of fear...but is it entirely fear? By this I mean that it's not fair to say so because his and his family's life (which he obviously cared for) was at stake. What else could he do? Now, for my conclusion, I think that Draco's final decision was an act of true bravery. He chose not to kill Dumbledore and knew what the consequences would be, yet he could not bring himself to become a murderer. Nobody forced him to do this. On the contrary, his father and the death eaters wanted the opposite, yet, he made the choice that he knew was right in his heart. Bravado or Fear? You tell me.

4. Draco has used name-dropping (his father’s and Voldemort’s) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a “that don’t impress me much” reaction to his attempts.

I think Draco picked this up from his father. He was raised all his life in believing that wealth and status were everything. He obviously thought that because his father gets whatever he wants using money and power, he would get it at school in the same way by using his connection to "powerful" people. It is hard to blame Draco entirely for believing in this because parents are one of the biggest influences in life (the beginning of it anyways). I'm sure that going to Hogwarts was his first time in meeting people that had different views and morals in life because before that, he was probably only exposed to others like him (filthy rich and obsessed with being pureblood). It's no surprise that he was dumbfounded to Harry's reaction. He had never before experienced this and it would take some time to realise that there were people who did not crave or were impressed by power and that there was more to life (ex. friendship and love) than he thought.

5. Is he misunderstood? Or just plain mean?

In my eyes, Draco is definately misunderstood. However, I agree that he is to blame at times for being mean. Even though, (as I already said) it's mostly his parents fault in the way they brought him up, he should have begun to realise that they were wrong and that he should change for the better (I believe that he slowly did). However, Draco grew up with lots of love from his parents but that was limited to only at home (or in his world outside of Hogwarts). Then, when he began attending school, he soon learned that the only people that liked him were Snape and his fellow Slytherins (even they are not true friends). I think that Draco is misunderstood and considered a bully because we only see Harry's point of view. What I mean, is that he hates Harry because of jealousy, not downright meanness. Draco soon realised that Harry had more than he ever did (true friends who would risk their lives for him, trust, loyalty, respect, and of course love by people who are not even his family). That is why he acted the way he did. Draco did not know (was never taught) how to make real friends or how to treat them (ex. the way he bosses Crabbe and Goyle around).

6. Despite his decision not to kill Dumbledore, Draco continues to serve Voldemort. Do you think he regrets his failure to kill Dumbledore? Do you think he regrets his choices in DH?

I highly doubt that Draco regrets to kill Dumbledore. He could never become a murderer. Otherwise, he would have already done it. He was definately terrified that Voldemort would kill him for not completing his task but he probably knew that it was not worth killing innocent people (ex. feeling guilt for the rest of your life, splitting your soul). Surely Draco is not that stupid and cruel. I think that he continued to serve Voldemort because he had no other choice. He knows that he will not be accepted by his classmates and the Order after what he attempted to do (murder Dumbledore). He also knows that if he betrays Voldemort and changes sides, he will surely be hunted down and killed. However, because Snape completed the task for him, Draco knows that he has a slight chance of being forgiven.

7. How do you think Draco's life debt to Harry and Ron might manifest itself in their future.

Well, I don't remember him ever owing a life debt to Ron. It was Harry who saved him twice. I think that because there was so much hatred between him and Harry for so long, I can't imagine Draco doing something for Harry if it meant risking his life. However, if Harry was ever in danger, I think that he would have helped him or at least called for help. After being saved twice by him, Draco could not possibly be so mean as to leave him or not even attempt to help if Harry ever was in such a situation. However, it wouldn't be anything drastic where Draco would save Harry's life and they would become friends. Their hatred was a permanent damage to each other.

8. What do you think happened to Draco after DH? What might he have done as a profession? Is Pansy the wife we see in the epilogue?

Firstly, I have to say that I do not think that Pansy would become Draco's wife. At least, I really hope not! The way that he acts towards her makes me think that their relationship was weak and hollow. I don't think Draco had any strong feelings for her. There definately was no true love. He probably only used her for the sake of having a girlfriend and someone to make out with (I only mean kissing!) She might have been obsessed with him, but Draco did not return those feelings in the same way. Also, it's possible he only wanted a girlfriend to have someone to love him at school since he lacked this(possibly because of his jealously that Harry had friends who "loved" him). I don't think they would make a good pair. Draco is a much more complicated and stronger character than Pansy who is shallow, and probably only cares for money and looks. I would imagine Draco's wife to be the independant type seeing as Draco lived his whole life that way (no one to help him, unloved except by his parents). She would also probably have a strong and stubborn character, like him. As for Draco's future, I can't even imagine what his profession would be. I do think that Draco became somewhat more kinder after realising his mistakes. He probably did not change his attitude and beliefs in purebloods, but I think that he stopped bragging and became a more quieter type. That's how I picture it because of the way he acts in the epilogue. When he spotted Harry and Ron, he usually would have gone up to them and started a fight. Yet, his curt nod showed maturity and understanding.

I hope you didn't fall asleep after reading my long reply.

Old August 10th, 2007, 2:38 am
First Year

Ron helped save his life. When Harry was unable to life both Draco and Crabbe (or is it Goyle? can't tell them apart I guess) Ron flies to the rescue too telling Harry "if we die for them, I'll kill you". I agree that they would never be real friends, but I could see them having a polite conversation if they bumped into each other on the street. As far as Draco risking his life to save Harry's, that's pushing it - be I do think he won't go out of his way to make Harry's life difficult anymore.

I agree with most of you too that he doesn't end up marrying Pansy. I don't know who he married, but I think she'd be a lot like Hermione (not shipping here, don't throw rocks). Smart, quick witted, loyal, brave, and willing to call him on his bull. I don't think he'd settle for a Pansy. I do think that she's pure blooded, I don't see him getting over that bias anytime soon. Maybe from one of the other wizarding schools. As for his profession - where did his family make all their money in the first place? I'm guessing he went into the family business, whatever that is.

Old August 10th, 2007, 3:18 am
First Year

Quote:
Ron helped save his life. When Harry was unable to life both Draco and Crabbe (or is it Goyle? can't tell them apart I guess) Ron flies to the rescue too telling Harry "if we die for them, I'll kill you". I agree that they would never be real friends, but I could see them having a polite conversation if they bumped into each other on the street. As far as Draco risking his life to save Harry's, that's pushing it - but I do think he won't go out of his way to make Harry's life difficult anymore.
I agree wholeheartedly with the section of your post that I have bolded. Harry and Draco will never be friends, only politely and disinterestedly civil to one another, but it is a slightly better than Draco purposely running around and acting like an unpleasant little berk to Harry in an attempt to make his life miserable.
Quote:
I agree with most of you too that he doesn't end up marrying Pansy. I don't know who he married, but I think she'd be a lot like Hermione (not shipping here, don't throw rocks). Smart, quick witted, loyal, brave, and willing to call him on his bull. I don't think he'd settle for a Pansy. I do think that she's pure blooded, I don't see him getting over that bias anytime soon. Maybe from one of the other wizarding schools. As for his profession - where did his family make all their money in the first place? I'm guessing he went into the family business, whatever that is.
The first thing that popped into my mind when you suggested that she may have come from a wizarding school in a different country was a mail order bride, though I've no idea why I really have no interest in Draco or his love life because I do not much care about him outside his motivations and charateristics, but I do disagree with you about what makes his ideal woman.

For some reason, I see him relying on his parents to aid him in finding a pureblood wife from a 'suitable' family (by Malfoy standards, that is). I doubt he cares much what she is like though I am sure he would prefer a pretty society wife whose main goals in life would be to marry a rich, pureblooded husband, have pureblooded babies, move in the right circles and be very important until the end of their days. I see him being drawn to a woman who would be able to stroke his ego and flatter him.

As for his profession, I have not the foggiest idea as to what it is he does if he even works at all. I am quite sure the Malfoy fortune was not recently earned but has been inheritted down through the generations of the family, like some type of modern landed gentry or some such thing.

Old August 10th, 2007, 11:28 am
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshopelost View Post
For some reason, I see him relying on his parents to aid him in finding a pureblood wife from a 'suitable' family (by Malfoy standards, that is). I doubt he cares much what she is like though I am sure he would prefer a pretty society wife whose main goals in life would be to marry a rich, pureblooded husband, have pureblooded babies, move in the right circles and be very important until the end of their days.
Why should he want that? The boy grew up in a loving surrounding, with loving parents. Why on earth should he want to settle for less? That's one of the reasons I can't see him end up with Pansy - she's too shallow and silly to elicit true respect (which is the foundation of love) and I think Draco would want the same 'homely felicity' in his own marriage that he experienced as a child among his parents.

Quote:
As for his profession, I have not the foggiest idea as to what it is he does if he even works at all. I am quite sure the Malfoy fortune was not recently earned but has been inheritted down through the generations of the family, like some type of modern landed gentry or some such thing.
Absolutely, I think the Malfoys are 'old money'. None of them would ever have to work to make a living.

Old August 10th, 2007, 11:50 am
Fourth Year

why I feel in Chapter "Malfoy Manor" that Draco was a coward?? He was sacred may be cause Voldy in their manor all the day or because the stress that he feels of all the evil power and he had to do some thing to rise himself but unlikely Draco was scared. He wasn't the one in Hogwarts who gives orders and was superior. I found all that vanished here...May be cause he was in evil powers more than he could bear.

Old August 10th, 2007, 11:58 am
Master Seer

I don't think Draco was a 'coward'. We're getting wrong measures of 'usual' bravery by comparing everyone to Harry. I don't think it's 'cowardly' to tremble because of Voldemort and what's he doing, it's natural, it shows a degree of healthiness that many people (in the books) don't have.

I was endeared by Draco's behaviour and repulsion in 'The Dark Lord Ascending'. When Umbridge threatens Harry with the Cruciatus Curse in OotP, Draco's described to look 'greedy' - he's never seen anything like that before, but he's heard 'of the old times' and the Dark Arts and is curious. In DH, he has seen it and is disgusted by it. He falls off his chair with shock when Charity Burbage is murdered. That speaks for him, not against.

Old August 12th, 2007, 3:04 pm
First Year

I know Draco is/was/maybe supposed to be evil. Well, not evil, but not good.
But I've always had a soft spot for him. I think it's because Tom Felton is just so cute! Hehe.

But I was very happy that he survived. I would be sad if Draco died.
<3

Old August 13th, 2007, 12:01 pm
Lycanthrope

On my re-read, I reached the conclusion that Draco's character in the final book had changed. I think he was still thinking of saving his parents and himself primarily; but even then, he was reluctant to identify the trio to his parents; in the ROR during the battle, all of his statements could be taken to show he was trying to actually facilitate what Harry was doing rather than hamper; and at the beginning he didn't seem too happy to be at Voldy's table. I think he may have actually jumped sides if his parents had not been threatened. That does not mean I don't believe he would have not continued to look out for #1 or become a warrior for the good sides, but I think he would have left Voldy's side and if he participated at all, it would be for the good side. That is what I was lead to believe after the second reading.

Granted, I may have it all wrong, lol.

Old August 13th, 2007, 12:27 pm
Master Seer

I read it quite similarly, wicked. Draco did undergo a 'change of heart', not one making him a sudden champion for muggleborns etc, but truly wanting Voldemort gone, and seeing Harry as the only chance to get there. And your interpretation of the RoR scene strikes me to be nailing it

Old August 13th, 2007, 12:45 pm
Sixth Year

I think the biggest change is that he cares for Crabbe's safety even after he betrayed them.

Old August 14th, 2007, 1:13 am
Fifth Year

I think Draco was a coward for just buying into that racist claptrap for so long and bullying those weaker than him for kicks.

However, I'm mystified that people call him a coward for 1.) not killing Dumbledore, 2.) being horrified/unhappy with having the Voldy and crew in his house torturing and murdering people and 3.) not fighting on their side or willing helping in the torture. To me that's not cowardice, it was a sign he actually had a conscience and there might be some hope for him as a person.

Old August 14th, 2007, 2:17 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdi86 View Post
However, I'm mystified that people call him a coward for 1.) not killing Dumbledore, 2.) being horrified/unhappy with having the Voldy and crew in his house torturing and murdering people and 3.) not fighting on their side or willing helping in the torture. To me that's not cowardice, it was a sign he actually had a conscience and there might be some hope for him as a person.
It shows that Draco was conflicted about following in his Death Eater father's footsteps. It would have been easier for Draco just to follow along in the path of his parents, but he shows that he has potential to break away.

Old August 14th, 2007, 9:33 am
Sixth Year

Yeah, if you are raised by Voldemort's top liuetenant then maybe you know what you talking about. Besides, Draco didn't only bully those weaker then him: He bullied Ron, Hermone and Harry more then anyone.

Old August 14th, 2007, 12:00 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
I don't think Draco was a 'coward'. We're getting wrong measures of 'usual' bravery by comparing everyone to Harry. I don't think it's 'cowardly' to tremble because of Voldemort and what's he doing, it's natural, it shows a degree of healthiness that many people (in the books) don't have.
I agree 100%. I don't think everyone could be like Harry, could they? It was normal for Draco to fear Voldemort. Harry was extremely brave. What about the rest of the people? Were they all cowards? No.

Draco Malfoy fan for ever
Old August 15th, 2007, 2:37 pm
Master Seer

I've had some kind of brainwave

We've seen Draco nearly getting Katie Bell killed and having poisoned mead sent to Slughorn. He didn't have too many qualms about it, had he.

Facing Dumbledore on the rooftop however, he is changed. Of course, this could be due to the fact that killing 'eye to eye' is very different from just buying something potentially lethal and pass it on, or spike a drink with poison. OR -

Could it be that the experience with the Sectumsempra curse has for the first time given him an idea what this is all about? That experiencing close death has given him an idea what he is eventually asked to do? I suspect that Lucius at home spoke of the 'old times' with an air of melancholy, like my own parents speak of the seventies - the good old times, oh, how good they were. Sectumsempra marks a change; Draco suddenly understand's the victim's point of view, the fear of dying, the panic, the injustice of being violently brought from life to death just so, accidentally even.

Could this have been one of these famous 'chances in disguise' for him?

Old August 15th, 2007, 2:49 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I like those thoughts. Draco in some ways does strike me as the kid who liked to play DE, but couldn't stomache the real DE work. Just like the kid who likes to play with toy guns, etc but couldn't hack it in the military (I would likely have been this way if I'd been in the military).

Personally I think Draco had started changing a bit earlier - when he started fearing for his own life because he kept failing - but your thoughts do make sense. I wonder when he first started crying to moaning myrtle?

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 15th, 2007, 2:58 pm
Master Seer

I absolutely agree that the change begins earlier - note his unhealthy, distressed appearance that even Harry notices. Usually, when Harry doesn't like someone, he is quite liberal in using negative adjectives. When he sees Draco at Christmas though, he doesn't call that appearance 'sinister' or 'unpleasant' though, but 'ill'.

I thought the Sectumsempra experience made the transformation complete rather, adding the 'last piece to the puzzle' so to speak.

Old August 15th, 2007, 3:06 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Fair enough. He was forced to do unforgiveables at wandpoint by Voldy even afterwards - but his heart was never in it. And Voldy knew that, too.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References