Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis



 
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 9:15 am
Emperor_Gestahl  Male.gif Emperor_Gestahl is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4623 days
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 29
Posts: 1,030
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Doesn't add up for me either and I neither like or dislike Draco, he was just another character for me. But it was like JKR herself was going back and forth with Draco's character all through the book. His reluctance at the manor and his reluctance to participate in evil unless forced was then all totally wiped out when we get to the ROR. There he seems to be back to being his old self for a moment. Then in the middle of it all he seems to switch again. Next thing I know, he's hugging Harry on the broom after Harry saves his life and enjoying the ride. Later he is back to telling some death eater he is on their side. When the trio rescue him, he beams at them and then I think it is Ron who punches him.

By then I was like WHAT?????? who is this person? I was glad she saved him because JKR had used him pretty much for whatever purpose he could serve at the moment throughout the series to me. He didn't seem to be convicted of anything. Now I could say he was strictly out for himself...but even that doesn't pan out.

So in the end, when she gave him the receding hairline as the only thing possibily negative in his life (he was after all happily married with a kid) I didn't really pay it much mind. I figured if he didn't like it, he'd charm it away. Obviously his wife finds it cute I guess.
This guy summed things up pretty good, I was a fan of Draco before this book. I can't stand what she turned him into.


__________________
Nothing beats the sweet music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison! - Kefka FFVIA
Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old August 2nd, 2007, 9:42 am
Fleur du mal  Female.gif Fleur du mal is offline
Master Seer
 
Joined: 5930 days
Posts: 2,809
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Are you telling me that you interpret the infamous receding hairline to be Draco's 'punishment'...?


__________________
  #43  
Old August 5th, 2007, 6:46 pm
horcrux4's Avatar
horcrux4  Female.gif horcrux4 is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5076 days
Location: Sheffield UK
Age: 74
Posts: 2,167
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
Are you telling me that you interpret the infamous receding hairline to be Draco's 'punishment'...?
I know you're joking but I was just wondering whether you thought Draco should have had more punishment than just being scared to death of Voldemort all through the book? Should he have spent some time in Azkaban? He seems to have come out of it smelling of roses but it's hard to say from that brief glimpse in the epilogue whether his life was happy or not.


__________________
Meet Mickey, my new kitten!
Quote:
"From this time forth we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork."
Albus Dumbledore, HBP
  #44  
Old August 5th, 2007, 6:51 pm
Emperor_Gestahl  Male.gif Emperor_Gestahl is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4623 days
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 29
Posts: 1,030
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

i think that the fact that he was freaking seventeen was the main reason he wasn't send to Azkaban. And, you know, rich.


__________________
Nothing beats the sweet music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison! - Kefka FFVIA
  #45  
Old August 5th, 2007, 6:57 pm
crowheart  Female.gif crowheart is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4464 days
Posts: 323
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
Are you telling me that you interpret the infamous receding hairline to be Draco's 'punishment'...?
You know, I know that JKR talks a lot about not wanting women to be forced into stereotypes based on looks, but she really plays into stereotypes with looks a lot in the books. The only totally handsome Death Eater is Lucius Malfoy, everyone else that is supposed to be 'bad' seems to look bad in some way.Even Petunia is spoken of as having a 'horsey' face. I wouldn't be surprised if it was.


  #46  
Old August 5th, 2007, 7:00 pm
Emperor_Gestahl  Male.gif Emperor_Gestahl is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4623 days
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 29
Posts: 1,030
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowheart View Post
You know, I know that JKR talks a lot about not wanting women to be forced into stereotypes based on looks, but she really plays into stereotypes with looks a lot in the books. The only totally handsome Death Eater is Lucius Malfoy, everyone else that is supposed to be 'bad' seems to look bad in some way.Even Petunia is spoken of as having a 'horsey' face. I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
Yes, not wanting women to be based of their looks. if you accept that she is okay with men to be stereotyped as such, it's not that bad.


__________________
Nothing beats the sweet music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison! - Kefka FFVIA
  #47  
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:53 pm
Fleur du mal  Female.gif Fleur du mal is offline
Master Seer
 
Joined: 5930 days
Posts: 2,809
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I know you're joking but I was just wondering whether you thought Draco should have had more punishment than just being scared to death of Voldemort all through the book? Should he have spent some time in Azkaban? He seems to have come out of it smelling of roses but it's hard to say from that brief glimpse in the epilogue whether his life was happy or not.
I was indeed slightly on the joking side, though in response to this -
Quote:
So in the end, when she gave him the receding hairline as the only thing possibily negative in his life (he was after all happily married with a kid) I didn't really pay it much mind. I figured if he didn't like it, he'd charm it away. Obviously his wife finds it cute I guess.
Like others said, too - no, I don't think he should have been sent to Azkaban. I don't know, I have this feeling that they should shut that place down completely and try something new, without all the implications of corruption and injustice that Azkaban stands for (at least for me).

So what punishment would I have thought suitable for Draco? Yes, he was a schoolboy still when joining up with Voldemort, I think he didn't think about it for a mere minute, he could only see the apparent advantages - become powerful, get back on everyone who ever bugged him, and most of all, avenge Lucius. He did try to kill Dumbledore, however ineffective, he did injure two people and imperiused Madam Rosmerta. So after finally learning what the term 'scot-free' means , I must say, no, I don't find that Draco should go scot-free. He shouldn't be sent to prison either. I think most satisfying from my point of view would be a sentence of approximately 4000 hours of community work, that'd be a full-time job for two years.


__________________
  #48  
Old August 6th, 2007, 8:59 am
Emperor_Gestahl  Male.gif Emperor_Gestahl is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4623 days
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 29
Posts: 1,030
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

I guess that gold changed hands.


__________________
Nothing beats the sweet music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison! - Kefka FFVIA
  #49  
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:22 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 5053 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

I was re-reading his Hogwarts Battle scene. JKR never lets Draco finish his sentences...that adds to the mystery of what he was thinking. And he keeps yelling "don't kill him [harry]" as if to save him for Voldemort, but on the other hand, he wants to stay and get the diadem when he isn't sure what it is at all, just because Harry wants it. Is he helping Harry? Is he trying to help Voldemort? It is impossible to say...Draco rescues Goyle showing compassion and Harry rescues him and then Draco is on the ground retching. Then he shows compassion for Crabbe who is dead. It is almost like he was supposed to come out looking good here. Although, I could easily see how one may see it all in a bad light. Very confusing.


  #50  
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:27 pm
Fleur du mal  Female.gif Fleur du mal is offline
Master Seer
 
Joined: 5930 days
Posts: 2,809
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I was re-reading his Hogwarts Battle scene. JKR never lets Draco finish his sentences...that adds to the mystery of what he was thinking. And he keeps yelling "don't kill him [harry]" as if to save him for Voldemort, but on the other hand, he wants to stay and get the diadem when he isn't sure what it is at all, just because Harry wants it. Is he helping Harry? Is he trying to help Voldemort? It is impossible to say...Draco rescues Goyle showing compassion and Harry rescues him and then Draco is on the ground retching. Then he shows compassion for Crabbe who is dead. It is almost like he was supposed to come out looking good here. Although, I could easily see how one may see it all in a bad light. Very confusing.
hey wicked! Good to see you on another thread once in a while

I think she did that a hundred percent on purpose. I think it's really supposed to be confusing, because only in literature, people can be sorted to one side or antoher, only there their motivations and ulterior motives can be drawn in clarity. Draco is the character that denies such an interpretation.

I agree with you absoutely of your perception of that scene by the way (seeing how rarely that happens )


__________________
  #51  
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:54 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 5053 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
hey wicked! Good to see you on another thread once in a while

I think she did that a hundred percent on purpose. I think it's really supposed to be confusing, because only in literature, people can be sorted to one side or antoher, only there their motivations and ulterior motives can be drawn in clarity. Draco is the character that denies such an interpretation.

I agree with you absoutely of your perception of that scene by the way (seeing how rarely that happens )

Yeah I get around...but I like the rare weird threads, so I don't see too many regulars in them. But it is nice we agree here


  #52  
Old August 7th, 2007, 4:24 pm
Emperor_Gestahl  Male.gif Emperor_Gestahl is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4623 days
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 29
Posts: 1,030
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I was re-reading his Hogwarts Battle scene. JKR never lets Draco finish his sentences...that adds to the mystery of what he was thinking. And he keeps yelling "don't kill him [harry]" as if to save him for Voldemort, but on the other hand, he wants to stay and get the diadem when he isn't sure what it is at all, just because Harry wants it. Is he helping Harry? Is he trying to help Voldemort? It is impossible to say...Draco rescues Goyle showing compassion and Harry rescues him and then Draco is on the ground retching. Then he shows compassion for Crabbe who is dead. It is almost like he was supposed to come out looking good here. Although, I could easily see how one may see it all in a bad light. Very confusing.
Yeah, I think JKR couldn't make up her mind on what to do about Draco.

But anyway, Draco was trying to get his family back in Voldeort's good books. For Crabbe it was simple, kill Harry, nor is he capable of more complicated thoughts. Draco knew that he had to make some kind of big achviement to Voldemort and was desparatally seeking for one.


__________________
Nothing beats the sweet music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison! - Kefka FFVIA
  #53  
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:38 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 5053 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor_Gestahl View Post
Yeah, I think JKR couldn't make up her mind on what to do about Draco.

But anyway, Draco was trying to get his family back in Voldeort's good books. For Crabbe it was simple, kill Harry, nor is he capable of more complicated thoughts. Draco knew that he had to make some kind of big achviement to Voldemort and was desparatally seeking for one.
lol@Crabbe is not capable of more complicated thoughts


  #54  
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:52 pm
Fleur du mal  Female.gif Fleur du mal is offline
Master Seer
 
Joined: 5930 days
Posts: 2,809
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

ah... while I agree that he hoped he could get his family back into Voldemort's good graces (which was their only chance of continued survival from his point of view), I don't think he had any plan at all, simply because he must have been rather surprised to see Harry in the first place. He was improvising as he went along, knowing one thing for sure - killing Harry was the worst he could do no matter what he'd do eventually. It would have made Voldemort go balistic, it would have destroyed whatever idea Draco connected with Harry (and there must be some idea of this kind, or he would have readily identified Harry and co in Malfoy Manor), it wouldn't have made anything better at all.


__________________
  #55  
Old August 8th, 2007, 2:30 am
eternitygoddess  Undisclosed.gif eternitygoddess is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4467 days
Posts: 110
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Do you guys think he was a worse bully than James or Snape?

I don't get why so many girls like him in spite of his nasty attitude.

Prob. the looks.


  #56  
Old August 8th, 2007, 3:23 am
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5519 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,970
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I see what you mean, but I think it is a bit more complex. When Harry & co are taken to Malfoy Manor, Lucius is really excited to get back in Voldemort's good books but Draco is very reluctant to say whether the people that are caught are really Harry, Ron & Hermione. You'd have expected him to join with his father and identify the trio so that the Malfoys could be reinstated but he doesn't. Is it because he doesn't want to give the Trio away? Does he want to save them from Voldemort? But then why is he trying to catch Harry and hand him over in the room of requirement? It doesn't add up for me.
I don't think he was trying to catch Harry, rather he was trying to stop him from getting the diadem -- assuming at that point Draco figured out the diadem was important to Voldemort. But I believe that Draco was acting out of fear half the time, and regret the rest of the time. He was not so much for Voldemort, as stuck in a seemingly inescapable trap with his family.


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
  #57  
Old August 8th, 2007, 3:45 am
Beatifically's Avatar
Beatifically  Female.gif Beatifically is offline
Elvendork
 
Joined: 4534 days
Location: Central Perk
Age: 27
Posts: 2,183
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

6. Despite his decision not to kill Dumbledore, Draco continues to serve Voldemort. Do you think he regrets his failure to kill Dumbledore? Do you think he regrets his choices in DH?
I think that Draco only serves Voldemort because he realizes he doesn't have a choice. He, like Regulus, regretted his choice to join Voldemort and the Death Eaters. It's unlikely that Draco regretted his failure to kill Dumbledore; Jo said that no matter how much time was given to Draco, he still wouldn't have killed Dumbledore.
Honestly, it seems like Draco regrets the whole Death Eater business in general.


__________________

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
  #58  
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:02 am
Emperor_Gestahl  Male.gif Emperor_Gestahl is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4623 days
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 29
Posts: 1,030
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
Do you guys think he was a worse bully than James or Snape?

I don't get why so many girls like him in spite of his nasty attitude.

Prob. the looks.
No, Draco has a nasty attidute but that's all he is, he's all talk. I mean, we have never heard of Snape being named prefect and we know James ans Sirius ween't but Draco got it.


__________________
Nothing beats the sweet music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison! - Kefka FFVIA
  #59  
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:40 am
Fleur du mal  Female.gif Fleur du mal is offline
Master Seer
 
Joined: 5930 days
Posts: 2,809
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Do we know about the Prefect nomination process? Does Dumbledore make the picks himself, or does he receive suggestions from the respective Heads of House, and then chooses from their options?

Anyway, I thought that Dumbledore would rather make Draco a Prefect because he understood that Draco craved recognition. With Voldemort making his comeback, I believe that Dumbledore didn't want to drive someone like Draco even further into that one's open arms. He'd have known how susceptible Draco was, and might have wanted to counteract the influence as good as he could. Also, the Prefect position is a responsible one, he might have hoped that Draco would 'grow' with it.


__________________
  #60  
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:47 am
Clareious  Female.gif Clareious is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5463 days
Location: Bedford, UK
Age: 30
Posts: 114
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor_Gestahl View Post
I guess that gold changed hands.
I disagree with this. Jo has made the point that the Ministry became much, much less corrupted after LV's downfall. With Kingsley as the temporary Minister of Magic, I doubt that gold changing hands could have affected Draco's punishment.


__________________
I love deadlines! I love the whooshing noise they make as they fly past.
There is an art, or rather, a knack, to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
42
Douglas Adams.... what a genius.

5 million Cybermen - easy. One Doctor? Now you're scared!

Don't let it worry you - it's me. I'm extremely famous.
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, draco malfoy


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:17 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.