Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old July 29th, 2007, 2:09 am
Lycanthrope

Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Maybe he did feel remorse...he was losing his hair.

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2007, 3:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

1. When we first meet Draco, Harry sees him as a pampered, snobbish, bully. Did JKR plant the seeds from the beginning that he would grow to be a Death Eater?

Definitely but I don't think she ever intended for him to become a "true" Death Eater. In making him similar to, but different from his father, I think she showed how much of a role one's upbringing and environment can play in who one becomes later in life.

2. Draco grew up in a home with a mother from the notorious House of Black and a father who was a Death Eater that held favor with Voldemort. Lucius craves wealth, status and power. He is a demanding father and expects nothing less than excellence from his son.

I agree?

3. Is Draco truly making his choices of his own volition? How much of his choice is derived from fear, or is it bravado?

I think, when he chose to become a Death Eater in the first place, he did it mainly because he wanted to. He thought it'd be easy, that he'd fit right in, that it was the "right" thing to do. I think he was a little afraid but not scared enough to say he wasn't acting of his own volition.

4. Draco has used name-dropping (his father’s and Voldemort’s) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a “that don’t impress me much” reaction to his attempts.

...Because he never learned how to make true friends the proper way?

5. Is he misunderstood? Or just plain mean?

Both. I think he's mean but only because that's how he was raised to be. What normal 11 year old acts the way he did? Not many. He was groomed to be arrogant and mean, he wasn't born that way. Yes, you're born with certain traits and the like but what one teaches one's child matters greatly (thus racism being passed down from generation to generation in a lot of families) and he was surrounded by some of the meanest, coldest, most vindictive people around. I don't think that became clear until the second book and didn't really become truly sad until the sixth.

6. Despite his decision not to kill Dumbledore, Draco continues to serve Voldemort. Do you think he regrets his failure to kill Dumbledore? Do you think he regrets his choices in DH?

Yes, I think he does. I think he's confused. He's not sure what he wants and why he does (or doesn't do) the things he does. He's Lucius's son...why isn't he as cold and hard as his father? Why is he so "weak"? Should he even be a Death Eater? What's wrong?

7. How do you think Draco's life debt to Harry and Ron might manifest itself in their future.

I don't know. I don't know if it ever will come up given Voldemort's defeat. Maybe he'll "repay" them simply by leaving them alone and not teaching his child to be an insufferable jerk?

8. What do you think happened to Draco after DH? What might he have done as a profession? Is Pansy the wife we see in the epilogue?

I'd say nothing. If Lucius was as rich as Forbes indicated he was (I wonder where they got the number they did? JK never mentioned how rich he was, did she? ), Draco wouldn't need to do anything. And, yes, I'd say Pansy was/is his wife. I don't see any other reason for JK to have slipped that little "romantic" bit in Half-Blood Prince if nothing came from her affection.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:28 am
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Maybe he did feel remorse...he was losing his hair.
I didn't know that bald patches are a sign of internal struggle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDaysAhead
I don't see any other reason for JK to have slipped that little "romantic" bit in Half-Blood Prince if nothing came from her affection.
I always thought she was simply trying to make the point that the shippers could stop fixing him up with Ginny or Luna

Old July 29th, 2007, 10:51 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
But was he branded against his will? When he was boasting about the job Voldemort had given him on the train in HBP he seems pretty pleased about it In fact he only started panicking when he found the cabinet was hard to fix and he thought he might fail in his mission. He seemed proud at first to be selected by Voldemort for the job and he had been taught all his life that Dumbledore was the worst thing that had happened to Hogwarts. He wanted Voldemort to win; it was after all the Ministry not Voldemort who were keeping his father in prison.

I think when he realised he was incapable of killing, he began to be seriously scared - for his family as well as himself. In most of DH he is clearly scared to death - probably not helped by the fact that his father who he had previously worshipped, isn't doing anything to protect him, and in fact seems to be a loser. At that point I think he'd have given it up if he could - there was no glory in being forced by Voldy to torture people. Just fear and humiliation.

But it didn't make him a nicer person, did it? He and his goons come after Harry & co in the RoR and he seems as nasty as usual. And the choices he made were his own choices, and even though we can sympathise with why he made them, they remain poor choices.
Well, that last point was interesting because, Draco didn't taunt Harry and stuff like we are used of him. He wasn't having fun.

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:28 am
Master Seer

I think the boys encounter by chance in the RoR. I also think that Draco hadn't got a clue that he'd find Harry, or what to do with that coincidence, he was making up while he was going along (and had basically just been hiding in the RoR to get through the battle somehow). He did not want to harm Harry, and I don't think he was truly thinking of Voldemort's orders at that point - I do believe he had just seen a whole lot too much of torture to be capable of seeing it once more, regardless if this was Harry Potter or not.

Old July 30th, 2007, 12:52 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
I think the boys encounter by chance in the RoR. I also think that Draco hadn't got a clue that he'd find Harry, or what to do with that coincidence, he was making up while he was going along (and had basically just been hiding in the RoR to get through the battle somehow). He did not want to harm Harry, and I don't think he was truly thinking of Voldemort's orders at that point - I do believe he had just seen a whole lot too much of torture to be capable of seeing it once more, regardless if this was Harry Potter or not.
It said that Draco & co were lurking ourside the RoR protected by the Disillusion charm they had learned to do. They followed the Trio into the room to see what the diadem was and to stop Harry getting it. They were definitely still on Voldemort's side.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 30th, 2007, 9:03 am
Master Seer

Quote:
It said that Draco & co were lurking ourside the RoR protected by the Disillusion charm they had learned to do. They followed the Trio into the room to see what the diadem was and to stop Harry getting it. They were definitely still on Voldemort's side.
You know, I just don't 'buy it' that Draco thought he could achieve anything by hanging around there in disguise of the Disillusion charm. That's what he would tell his two chronies - 'hey, let's try be invisible, maybe we can sneak up to someone like this'. They didn't follow the call, they didn't even know for sure that Harry would be in the school at that moment.
What was really going through Draco's head when suggesting this to Crabbe and Goyle - in my opinion at least - was 'Let's make ourselves invisible, it's ALWAYS good to be invisible when one is in mortal danger - I'm SO not a great dueller, and if the Dark Lord hears that I chickened out in battle, he's so going to murder me. And if it all goes downhill, I can still stun the two idiots from behind while we all keep on hiding in the 'Room of the Hidden Things' until this bloody thing is over, they'll believe someone else had taken them out'.

Old July 30th, 2007, 9:19 am
Sixth Year

The Room of Requirement onlt materialises when no one's in it. So Drao was hiding some or himself. To that extent I agree with Fluer du mal here.

Why he did so? Well, I suppose he might have thught that after the past events, (by which I mean failing again) he though that just going back to Voldemort was like signing a death warrant. He also knew that if he were to join the DA he would just be condemning his parents.

Old July 30th, 2007, 9:26 am
Lycanthrope

Draco must have been the type to like a receding hairline because he was quite young when it began to occur and you would imagine he could charm it away if he wished. Speaks of the characteristic of self-acceptance in a way.

Old July 30th, 2007, 9:36 am
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Draco must have been the type to like a receding hairline because he was quite young when it began to occur and you would imagine he could charm it away if he wished. Speaks of the characteristic of self-acceptance in a way.
You're really cracking me up, wicked I hadn't yet fathomed just how much we can draw out of Draco's hair as a thirty-something!

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:18 am
Sixth Year

A slightly receding hairline at 36/37 isn't all that odd.

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:24 am
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor_Gestahl View Post
A slightly receding hairline at 36/37 isn't all that odd.
Only for those who don't suffer from it

I wonder why JKR put it in there though. Did she mean to imply that Harry would feel a certain underlying glee that his old nemesis Draco was beginning to bald? Was it a message to the fangirls to just give it up? Was Draco plucking his hair over the wild ways of little Scorpius?

Old July 30th, 2007, 4:57 pm
Second Year

Even why Draco is snivelling in Malfoy manner he is still able to use the cruciatus curse and as we all know for the curse you have to mean it so no matter how terrified Draco was he was still more then willing to hurt others.

His actions in the room of requirement near te end of the book may have been effective but they were still those of someone serving Voldemort. Little turd deserved much worse then to loose a little hair.

Old July 30th, 2007, 5:03 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPGramp View Post
Even why Draco is snivelling in Malfoy manner he is still able to use the cruciatus curse and as we all know for the curse you have to mean it so no matter how terrified Draco was he was still more then willing to hurt others.
So was Harry.

Old July 30th, 2007, 11:53 pm
First Year

Quote:
So was Harry.
Maybe so, but Harry's committment to the cause of destroying Voldemort and his willingness to selflessly sacrifice his own life in the name of giving the Wizarding World a shot to topple the tyrannical regime of the Dark Lord makes it easier for me to forgive the sins he committed as a means to achieve that end. To me there is very little comparison between Harry and Draco's actions when one takes into account the fact that the latter tortured others not to acheive freedom from tyranny, but to prolong his own pitiful life. Tell me, what is greater danger to the world: A man willing to do anything to save the lives of others, or a man willing to do absolutely any and everything to save his own life?

Old July 31st, 2007, 8:15 am
Sixth Year

Draco is not that guy. I mean he's a coward, and I was wrong to think he would turn over to the good side, obviously Jo dislikes him enough to continualy humiliate him throughout the book but Draco does what he does because he threatened with the death of his mother and father. We knew this since Half-Blood Prince came out. I don't think you should particape in Character Analysis without reading the two most recent books.

Old July 31st, 2007, 9:10 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Draco is not that guy. I mean he's a coward, and I was wrong to think he would turn over to the good side, obviously Jo dislikes him enough to continualy humiliate him throughout the book but Draco does what he does because he threatened with the death of his mother and father. We knew this since Half-Blood Prince came out. I don't think you should particape in Character Analysis without reading the two most recent books.
Draco arranged the killing of Dumbledore because of the threat to his parents (although when he is on the train to Hogwarts in HBP he seems pretty cheery about it and he only begins to get distressed after he has problems fixing the cabinet) but I don't see that his actions in DH are motivated by the fate of his parents at all. They seem to be motivated entirely by fear of what the Dark Lord will do to him (Draco). Probably justifiably! If you have any canon for Draco torturing people for Voldemort in DH to save his parents' necks, please quote it as I may well have missed something.

I really don't see what Malfoy was trying to do in Hogwarts in the final battle. I can see that he was probably waiting for Harry outside the RoR as he knew where it was and had seen all the other kids being evacuated that way. I can see that he'd like to get in Voldemort's good books by capturing Harry as he is so afraid of Voldy, but later when he is wandering through the castle and Harry has to rescue him from a Death Eater - what was he doing? Where was Goyle?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:00 pm
Sixth Year

He didn't need to make any threats, Draco was at Hogwarts; Lord Voldemort was living in their home. Voldemrt already knew how to kee Draco in check. I wouldnt take the risk, would you?
Abou the final battle, I'm as disappointed as you are, where was he, amids the Narcissa's saving Harry's live, then looking for him, and his part in the whole Elder Wand story, how in the world could JKR have forgotton him?

Old August 2nd, 2007, 5:35 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
He didn't need to make any threats, Draco was at Hogwarts; Lord Voldemort was living in their home. Voldemrt already knew how to kee Draco in check. I wouldnt take the risk, would you?
I see what you mean, but I think it is a bit more complex. When Harry & co are taken to Malfoy Manor, Lucius is really excited to get back in Voldemort's good books but Draco is very reluctant to say whether the people that are caught are really Harry, Ron & Hermione. You'd have expected him to join with his father and identify the trio so that the Malfoys could be reinstated but he doesn't. Is it because he doesn't want to give the Trio away? Does he want to save them from Voldemort? But then why is he trying to catch Harry and hand him over in the room of requirement? It doesn't add up for me.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old August 2nd, 2007, 6:13 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
I see what you mean, but I think it is a bit more complex. When Harry & co are taken to Malfoy Manor, Lucius is really excited to get back in Voldemort's good books but Draco is very reluctant to say whether the people that are caught are really Harry, Ron & Hermione. You'd have expected him to join with his father and identify the trio so that the Malfoys could be reinstated but he doesn't. Is it because he doesn't want to give the Trio away? Does he want to save them from Voldemort? But then why is he trying to catch Harry and hand him over in the room of requirement? It doesn't add up for me.
Doesn't add up for me either and I neither like or dislike Draco, he was just another character for me. But it was like JKR herself was going back and forth with Draco's character all through the book. His reluctance at the manor and his reluctance to participate in evil unless forced was then all totally wiped out when we get to the ROR. There he seems to be back to being his old self for a moment. Then in the middle of it all he seems to switch again. Next thing I know, he's hugging Harry on the broom after Harry saves his life and enjoying the ride. Later he is back to telling some death eater he is on their side. When the trio rescue him, he beams at them and then I think it is Ron who punches him.

By then I was like WHAT?????? who is this person? I was glad she saved him because JKR had used him pretty much for whatever purpose he could serve at the moment throughout the series to me. He didn't seem to be convicted of anything. Now I could say he was strictly out for himself...but even that doesn't pan out.

So in the end, when she gave him the receding hairline as the only thing possibily negative in his life (he was after all happily married with a kid) I didn't really pay it much mind. I figured if he didn't like it, he'd charm it away. Obviously his wife finds it cute I guess.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References