Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Future of the HP fandom

Old February 25th, 2010, 5:20 am
Fourth Year

Future of the HP fandom

This is a subject I was wondering about today as I checked the main page of Mugglenet. Where do you see popular Harry Potter fan-sites in five to ten years, when all of the books and movies have been released, and both author and actors have moved on to other things? Even now, as Mugglenet follows the actor's comments as they wrap Deathly Hallows and look ahead to their futures, I can't help feeling that the entire HP fandom is at the end of an era; no more will there be opportunity for all the speculation and anticipation, first for the books and later for the films, which has been the main dynamic of the fandom since the first books were released.
The fan-sites which focus mostly or even partly on HP news won't have much to do after the release of Deathly Hallows part two, unless they feel like following the diverging careers of the actors formerly associated with Harry Potter, which seems rather profitless to me. Perhaps the sites will become more focused on discussion of the books and films; some will probably peter out entirely. So, where do you see the HP fandom in years to come? Will it change/diminish as HP's title of "insane popularity" gives way to "classic fantasy", or will the enormous fanbase stay largely unchanged? What do you think?

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2010, 6:57 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Future of the HP fandom

People have been writing the obituary of fandom as long as I've been in fandom, which is going on a lucky seven years now.

Some people told me it was over when Sirius Black died, and maybe it was for them. Other people said it was over when DH was published, but that was three years ago . . . but here we are.

I wonder why it's important to announce the end of Fandom all the time. New readers are still discovering the books. Not everyone has the same experience and there are generations already born who haven't discovered the books and movies yet.

So while I think future readers won't have the exciting experience of discussing the books before they are published, or the movies before they are released, they will still have fun in Fandom. It will be just as real for them as for us - only different.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:49 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

To answer your question just take a look at all the people who have joined this site in the last two years . the numbers are fantastic there is still a need for good fan sites and CoS is surely one of the best. I don't see a falling off of interest in the books ,but I can understand it if some people move on with their lives people change but great books never do. As for waiting for a new book release JKR still has the "Scottish Book" to put out if she ever gets it done. I can wait 10 years for that book and my interest in HP will not wane.

When I was in my teens I read a lot of Heinlein & Norton Sci Fi books. Here I am now 50 and I still can get lost in fun and excitement by picking up one of their great old books.
What I'm saying is great books can still bring fun and excitement to a reader even 30+ years after they were written. The Harry Potter series will be the same, and where you find great books you will find those who want to talk about them and sites like this one for them to do that talking .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:22 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

As I said before, as long as there's someone here willing to discuss the series, I will always be here. I can't really see the series dying out even after the movies are finished. Like twins said, there's a whole new generation being introduced to the series. My nine year old nephew just finished the series last night, and he was telling me that he got one of his friends Reading it too. We're here to pass along what we experienced, even though it won't be entirely the same. I can't really see the end, with Potter there's always soomething to discuss.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old February 25th, 2010, 5:36 pm
Fourth Year

Thanks for your responses, everyone! For the record, I do not believe that the books are on the brink of oblivion, or that their popularity will have some epic dropoff after the last film is released: on the contrary. They're pretty obviously growing in popularity even as the films draw to a close, and there's no doubt in my mind that they'll keep being popular for an incredible time period.

The question I was really trying to ask here was not whether "the end is here", but how the fandom will change as the exciting anticipation and speculation which has so far defined it to some extent necessarily draws to an end. For the entire time in which HP has been popular, there has always been something coming out next; some new release date to look forward too. That will end after 2011. So, to ask again, what, if any, changes do you see taking place as this happens?

Old February 25th, 2010, 6:46 pm
First Year

I think, as long as there are at least two persons who are ready to discuss anything Harry Potter-related, the fandom still excists. I believe it won't die. I will certainly introduce the books to my children once they're old enough (although I'm still a bit young to think about that, but that's not the point), and I'm sure I'm not alone. People all over the world read the books or see the movies for the first time constantly. I'm sure the end of the popularity of the Harry Potter fan-sites and forums is still quite a bit away! Everything has it ups and downs, so will have each and single Harry Potter fan-site/forums, but I don't think the popularity will change much.

Old February 25th, 2010, 7:05 pm
I want to believe

I have a feeling discussions about each of the characters will remain pretty much unchanged. Discussions of certain plot points and past movies may remain the same as well. I also think there will be lots of speculation about the second generation characters. As for the fandom as a whole, I'd agree it likely will not die out anytime soon.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old February 25th, 2010, 8:13 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I look at it this way - the Tolkien and Star Trek fandoms are still going strong. I think there will always be times when fandoms are in a frenzy as well as times in which they lull, but they won't go away completely. There will always be someone new to the books, new to the movies, who will take their interest that one step further and look for other people like themselves that they can talk to.

As for individual sites and groups...well, that would just be up to those members.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old February 25th, 2010, 8:25 pm
First Year

The Harry Potter series is one of the largest in popularity ever. Star Wars and Star Trek are Way past there expected "prime" and yet there are still conventions, the same for Potter, I agree with everyone here as long as other people are willing to discuss it, I'll be here. I have a feeling the series will never die out because, every day a new person discovers the magical world. For me it's like wine the older it becomes the better.

Old February 25th, 2010, 9:05 pm
Sixth Year

The future? Well, it seems the world is going to be destroyed in 2012.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old February 25th, 2010, 9:08 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessCharmMaster View Post
The future? Well, it seems the world is going to be destroyed in 2012.
Aww, darn it, how could I have forgotten? Well, I suppose this discussion is irrelevant then....

Old February 25th, 2010, 9:21 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Right now there is still much to discuss--the Scottish Book, DH 1 & 2. Filming's still going on and then there will be premieres for two movies as well as the movies themselves and the DVD release. New fans will find the series all the time as kids get old enough to read them and older people decide to finally check them out. Harry Potter isn't one of those series that dies out when the last book is published. It doesn't look that way now and I don't think it will be that way for a good while, if ever.

Who knows what will happen in the future. They could redo the movies in 20 years. That would give us more to talk about. They could release new versions of the books like Scholastic did for the 10th anniversary of Sorcerer's Stone. The actors may move on to different things, but we can still discuss that as they are our HP actors. JK Rowling may write something new. As HP Fans we may want to discuss that in comparison with HP and all by itself.

Don't forget there is the park in Orlando. That's something to discuss as well as the conventions. It's not over, not yet, and hopefully, not ever. Like others have said there's Star Wars, Star Trek, and even LOTR that haven't gone away. They may die down a little, but the fans are still there.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old February 25th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49
Who knows what will happen in the future. They could redo the movies in 20 years. That would give us more to talk about.
If I were a betting person, I'd guess that the BBC will do an HP series for television that will stick more closely to the books. If that ever starts, it could go on for years and years.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

They'd need Rowling's permission for that. I'm not against it (I actually like the idea in ten + years time), but would she give it?

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old February 26th, 2010, 1:49 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I look at it this way - the Tolkien and Star Trek fandoms are still going strong. I think there will always be times when fandoms are in a frenzy as well as times in which they lull, but they won't go away completely. There will always be someone new to the books, new to the movies, who will take their interest that one step further and look for other people like themselves that they can talk to.

As for individual sites and groups...well, that would just be up to those members.
Yeah, I don't see this fandom going away anytime soon. In fact, I'm one of the people who read the series after the last book was published, and I think there's still plenty to talk about.

I think that the fact that new adults are being drawn in speaks to the likely longevity of the series. And of course, new kids will continue to discover it.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old February 26th, 2010, 3:45 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post

I agree. I was just going to say: "Tolkien is still discussed to this very day!" I think the HP fandom really isnt going anywhere. If Rowling decides to write a new series (which i think is probable), then we will be discussing that along with HP. There will always be newcomers to the series. (i myself, can be considered a relative "newcomer" since i didnt really delve into the fandom and the series until about two years ago.)

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old February 26th, 2010, 4:19 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I can imagine the COS won't go anywhere soon. Nor will Mugglenet. And there is still more stuff, like Wizard rock, the theme park, the encyclopedia, and maybe someone will want to do a comic book series. "The New adventures of Harry Potter," with JKR's permission of course. And who knows maybe we will get another series. Harry Potter lives on. Look at Jane Austen. There is a fan club for her books.

Old February 26th, 2010, 7:03 pm
Second Year

I've been thinking about this exact issue for a while now, and its actually why i came back onto these forums.. for my HP fix The news posts comments were making me sad because there was almost no activity So i got off my lazy butt and came here haha

I have noticed that one of the really big changes is not so much in HP forums (though you guys frequent here more so maybe posting has died down? idk), but mainly in the comments on news posts on the fan sites. Those used to be like rocking crazy busy all the time, lol! (at least on Mugglenet where i would check all the time). And we'd have discussions.. and arguments... and it was nuts But now its so dead in the comments I mean, I guess it makes some sense because the news posts are quite a bit more bland than they were when the books were still coming out etc etc.

So really what I'm trying to say is... I know that there could probably be news posts continuing on forever, but it will really start to be a stretch to find interesting content to post news about once the last movie has already been out for several years. I think forums will continue strong for forever though. But the news posts areas will be kind of sad places

I have personal experience with a fandom that definitely continues strong on forums On IMDb the Buffy area is crazy, lol! Those people talk about it is still all the time, and I see that too in Star Trek and Star Wars, which I know you guys were mentioning earlier.

Old February 26th, 2010, 7:09 pm
First Year

I remember wondering to myself if when the time came that the final harry potter movie (now movies) came out, if I would still be a fanatic. I believe I was 8 yrs old when SS came out. When DH prt 2 hits theaters, I'll be 20. HP has been a huge part of my life, for the majority of my life. It was the first series I read all the way through, and I truely believe it was the seriest that got me as into books as I am, and as introduced me to the magic of writting.

I've never even thought of the Fandom dying out, and I don't see it as possible.
But I do see how it will change.
NOTE: I'm not trying to put down the future generations of HP fanatics with this statement, it is just my opinion and should only be taken as such!!!

I don't think there will ever be any fans like US. WE are the ones who have been around since the begining, who waited anxiously for release dates, for books and movies, who pondered and discussed. WE are the ones who took fanfic to a whole new level to fill the void inbetween releases.
I believe there is a very strong connection to the books that WE all have that no other future HP lovin' generation will have. We went through this together, with one another and with Harry. We grew with him and with the novels.
When you've waited like WE have for any and every little detail, it gives you a stronger connection to a novel that can't be repeated.
future generations will be able to have all the books at once, they will be able to watch all the movies at home in order. there will be no guess work, no anxiousness lasting months, they will just have all the answers they want just as fast as they can read/watch.
But WE are the first HP fanatics. and I can't help but be biases and say that WE are the BEST fanatics

It will also change, because as each new mind reads HP they interupt in a different way. they will spot things we never did, publishers will publish even more HP related stuff then that which is out now. it could get a whole lot better from here.

XO

"its fun isnt it? breaking the rules."

"The world isn't spilt into good and bad people. we've all got both light and dark inside us. what matters is the part we choose to act on. that's who we really are."

I've been sorted;Official Ravenclaw
Old February 26th, 2010, 8:16 pm
Second Year

Yes, going through the books coming out and having to wait for each one was a huge part of what I loved about the series (and also hated!!! haha jk ). But really I looooooooved going to the midnight releases for the books! I loved that it was a totally new thing to wait in line at midnight for a book of all things! Not just movies anymore I had so much fun meeting random other fanatics and talking about HP with them. I wish I could repeat all that Its so sad that its all over I also wish I had gotten into them a bit earlier because I just got to go to the midnight releases for OoTP and after....

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak