Third Year

Re: Fred & George Weasley: Character Analysis

Happy Birthday Fred & George!!

Fan Fic: The Face in the Mirror Always happy to have Feedback
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2009, 5:15 pm
Lycanthrope

Party Time...can't beat that, and more pranksters too.

Old April 4th, 2009, 5:42 pm
First Year

1. How do you think Fred and George reacted to the consequences of Draco's use of their Peruvian Darkness Powder in HBP?

They were probably not surprised, but they probably blamed themselves somewhat. That most likely made them hate Malfoy even more than usual, but I'm willing to bet that they made a few jokes about it.

2. Fred and George played some rather cruel jokes earlier in the series, do you feel that they have matured since then? Do you believe they regret some of their earlier actions?

I'd say that they've matured. Not from playing jokes, though. I don't think they could never grow out of that, it's who they are. I think they matured in the sense that they're more involved in the war that you thought they'd be. When the series stated, I expected them to always be making jokes about everything, no matter how big of an issue it was. In the end, though, they're taking the war and Voldemort seriously and they get out and put their lives on the line for everyone's sake. I think they've come a long way. But I don't think they regret anything they've done in the past, they don't seem like that kind of people.

3. What do you think of the twins reaction to Percy's return in DH?

At first, I think they were shocked and unsure of what to think. Then, slowly, when Percy admitted he was sorry and that he was wrong, I think that lightened the twins up. You could tell they forgave him. I think that their reaction fit their personalities really well. And the fact that just before Fred died he was having a "moment" with Percy really signified that everything was better than okay.

4. What do you think of the twins decision to join the Order and the fight at Hogwarts? Did they consider the consequences of their actions or were they acting rashly? Do you think George's loss of an ear made them understand the danger more than they did before?

I'm not surprised at all that they joined the Order to fight. It really seems like them to want to get involved and give the Death Eaters a taste of their own medicine. I think they were mostly acting rashly when they joined up. They wanted to fight and probably didn't think of the potential consequences- I mean, it's [i]Fred and George.[i] I do think that George's loss of an ear made them better understand what could happen, but they probably didn't care.

5. How do you think George will cope with the loss of Fred? Will he continue the joke shop without his twin?

I don't think George will ever be whole again, considering that he and Fred did everything together and were extremely close. They were each others constant companions. George probably won't know what to do with himself now that he's lost that in Fred. He probably will continue the joke shop knowing that that was what Fred would have wanted.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 9:34 pm
Second Year

1. How do you think Fred and George reacted to the consequences of Draco's use of their Peruvian Darkness Powder in HBP?

Probably pretty shocked. I wouldn't imagine that either of the twins would have physically sold Draco that powder, so it was probably through a mail order. They'd most likely vow to be a bit more careful in the future, and figure out exactly who they're selling these things to.

2. Fred and George played some rather cruel jokes earlier in the series, do you feel that they have matured since then? Do you believe they regret some of their earlier actions?
I think their spoken humor has always been extremely mature. They are quick-witted and know how to turn a phrase. However, their pranks started out rather infantile, but burst forth, in OotP, as fully fledged comedy. The swamp/firework/flying away feat is one of the best parts of the book, and shows how intelligent they had to be to pull off something on that big of a scale.

To be that carefree, I wonder if the Weasley twins ever regretted anything.

It was so brief, it's difficult to discern. It was moving to see how quickly Fred forgave Percy when he showed a bit of remorse (I assume we're talking about the Battle scene), and didn't act like a prat. I wonder what George's reaction would be. I would hope they would reconcile at some point, even if it takes some years.

4. What do you think of the twins decision to join the Order and the fight at Hogwarts? Did they consider the consequences of their actions or were they acting rashly? Do you think George's loss of an ear made them understand the danger more than they did before?

To be as savvy as they are at business, they need to at least think things out to their full extent. In OotP, they did seem a bit rash, but I would guess that when the time came to join up, they weren't taking it as lightly as it would seem. Granted, they are young, and therefore prone to thinking they are invincible. George's loss of an ear probably scared Fred more than George in the long run. It was the first time that a life could have been compromised.

5. How do you think George will cope with the loss of Fred? Will he continue the joke shop without his twin?

Well, it's clear now that the joke shop continued after Fred's death, but I doubt that George has the same "merry" spirit he once had. To get over that, even 19 years later, is a feat I wouldn't expect him to conquer.

Old February 4th, 2010, 7:51 pm
Sixth Year

This is from the Snape thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I believe Snape had other reasons to either fear or dislike Muggles besides mere prejudice. That doesn't keep him from making friends with Lily and going to her house to visit. He also kept his father's name and Muggle house, so I'm not sure if Snape ever actually "internalized a prejudice" against Muggles.

As I have written several times now, in my opinion, Snape is confused, like most of the other teenagers in these books. He's no more evil than the Weasley Twins who pushed a Slytherin into a Vanishing Cabinet just for being a Prefect. I wouldn't call them evil, and I'm sure you wouldn't either, but I would say it was wrong to do that.

I believe dislike of Slytherin House has been internalized for generations in the Wizarding World. It may not be racism, but it is a prejudice. JMO
While I find a lot of the Weasley Twins antics to be overboard and cruel, I can't say I agree that they shoved Montague in the Vanishing Cabinet just because he was a Slytherin Prefect. I'm not sure it had anything to do with Montague being a Slytherin or a Prefect, but with him being on the Inquisitorial Squad. I think it was a harsh action by the Twins, but, I wonder... how does the picture change if we were to view Fred and George as freedom fighters in this instance, rather than selfish pranksters (which in my view they often were)?

Dumbledore himself is using Hogwarts in his war on Voldemort; The Ministry is using Hogwarts in its campaign against Dumbledore; Umbridge has brought the politics of oppression within Hogwarts doors. While I think it would be nice if Hogwarts and its children could sit out these battles, but when it is brought within the school walls by the adults in charge, should the students then take action? And where is the line for what should or shouldn't be done given what is at stake?

Last edited by OldMotherCrow; February 4th, 2010 at 8:02 pm. Reason: spelign
Old February 4th, 2010, 8:02 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
As I have written several times now, in my opinion, Snape is confused, like most of the other teenagers in these books. He's no more evil than the Weasley Twins who pushed a Slytherin into a Vanishing Cabinet just for being a Prefect. I wouldn't call them evil, and I'm sure you wouldn't either, but I would say it was wrong to do that.
If I remember correctly, the instance being referred to was when the Inquisitorial Squad, made up entirely of Slytherins, was strutting around Hogwarts taking points from every House except their own for no reason at all. I'm not saying that Fred and George were justified in what they did, but it is stretching the facts a bit to say that they took action against him just for being a prefect. He was being distinctly trying and completely unfair- however, like I said, pushing him into the Vanishing Cabinet was still was a cruel and irresponsible action of the part of the twins. In my opinion, both parties were at fault there.

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.
Old February 4th, 2010, 8:13 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyForMoony View Post
If I remember correctly, the instance being referred to was when the Inquisitorial Squad, made up entirely of Slytherins, was strutting around Hogwarts taking points from every House except their own for no reason at all. I'm not saying that Fred and George were justified in what they did, but it is stretching the facts a bit to say that they took action against him just for being a prefect. He was being distinctly trying and completely unfair- however, like I said, pushing him into the Vanishing Cabinet was still was a cruel and irresponsible action of the part of the twins. In my opinion, both parties were at fault there.
Yeah, that's my general view of the Weasley Twin actions.

I thought it would be interesting to look at this from the perspective of Hogwarts as a mini-State, where the rightful government has been toppled by a dictator. I thought the Fudge, the Ministry, and Umbridge were just as dangerous to a free and just society as Voldemort, because they sneakily undid protections from within by rule of law, whereas Voldemort was a more easily identifiable threat. I actually think that the stakes at Hogwarts were great during this time.

Old February 4th, 2010, 8:45 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
I'm sure they didn't want something like that to happen, and probably felt at least a little responsible for it.

Quote:
I'd say they probably regret very little of the things they'd done early on. For the most part a lot of their actions were semi-justified, some of their pranks were a little overboard but nothing was done too terribly that should have caused them any moral dilemma

Quote:
They are family after all, I think they reacted to the best of their abilities.

Quote:
I'm sure they knew the consequences from the beginning, but when has something like that ever stopped the twins before taking action. They always seemed to act without thinking imo, it made them who they were.

Quote:
According JKR in interviews he did continue the joke shop. As for how he can cope with it. I'm sure it's a terrible loss, Fred was his other half. I'm sure he's never gotten over the loss but he's had to move on.

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure"
Proud to be a Ravenclaw

My wand: Holly, Unicorn hair, 10 and a half inches, springy.
Old February 7th, 2010, 8:07 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdi86 View Post
Fred and George, funny and clever as they were, were bullies. They were way worse than Ron! They mocked little kids being sorted, they stuffed Montague in a cabinet where he vanished for weeks and they didn't care. The twins aren't the nicest guys in the world.
Montague was a Slytherin so i don't think anyone cared really.

Old February 7th, 2010, 2:30 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandi View Post
And that makes it okay?

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old February 7th, 2010, 2:47 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
His friends and family probably cared, and I bet the teachers did too. Slytherins are people, too.

I have to confess I'm no fan of the twins. I never have been, even at first reading. They struck me as too arrogant and even crass sometimes. Just not my cup of tea.

Old February 7th, 2010, 4:58 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalguy View Post
And that makes it okay?
As none of the Slytherins are shown in a clearly possitive light i would say yes it does.Besides this specific boy was working with Umbridge too which made it more then ok.

Last edited by Nandi; February 7th, 2010 at 5:02 pm.
Old February 7th, 2010, 5:03 pm

Quote:
As none of the Slytherins are shown in a clearly possitive light i would say yes it does.
Seriously? It's ok to bully someone because he (involuntarily!) belongs to a group of people generally perceived as unpleasant?

ETA: Oh, so if he's a Slytherin is not enough, that he's a part of a resented establishment is. Well, thank god that's not how official punitive systems work. Because they would just consist of pogroms and lynching then.

Last edited by Yoana; February 7th, 2010 at 5:06 pm.
Old February 7th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Seriously? It's ok to bully someone because he (involuntarily!) belongs to a group of people generally perceived as unpleasant?

ETA: Oh, so if he's a Slytherin is not enough, that he's a part of a resented establishment is. Well, thank god that's not how official punitive systems work. Because they would just consist of pogroms and lynching then.
Montague seems to be one of the kind of persons who will do the lynching.As we can see in the battle of Hogwarts they joined up with Voldemort.For Fred and George to bully a Bully for a certain purpose is no problem for me

Old February 7th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Montague seems to be one of the kind of persons who will do the lynching.As we can see in the battle of Hogwarts they joined up with Voldemort.For Fred and George to bully a Bully for a certain purpose is no problem for me
So bullying is ok if the Good Guys do it? I strongly disagree with this notion and with the whole philosophy behind it.

Old February 7th, 2010, 5:36 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
So bullying is ok if the Good Guys do it? I strongly disagree with this notion and with the whole philosophy behind it.
They never hurt anyone who did not deserve it.

Old February 7th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Quote:
They never hurt anyone who did not deserve it.
And how do we determine who deserves what? That's precisely why there are laws in place and taking the law in your own hands is usually illegal. Because who deserves what is not up to any random person to decide.

Old February 7th, 2010, 5:42 pm
Inconceivable!

I'm going to temporarily lock this thread.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old February 8th, 2010, 9:23 am
MODLY CREW

Okay, let's try again.

If I see any more personal, confrontational and aggressive posts in here, these posts will be removed. And so will the offending member. The same goes for posts in violation of our rules on character bashing. And keep in mind that the topic of this thread is the character analysis of the twins. So, please continue, only this time more politely!

Old February 8th, 2010, 12:06 pm
Second Year

I can imagine they were annoyed at the uses their products were being used for, but at the same time I liken it to selling uranium to a country who plans to make a nuclear bomb. You know what they're gonna do, the question is do you look the other way.

I think they definitely grew up, but at the same time I think they could look back without regrets. They were rarely mean out of spite and I think they can pride themselves on that.

I wouldn't expect anything less from them once Percy showed genuine remorse. They aren't the type of guys to hold grudges.

I think they understood what they were getting themselves into on an intellectual level (and, as such, relished the chance to kick some Death Eater butt) but I doubt they truly understood the danger, even after Harry explained it to them. The loss of George's ear may have sobered them slightly, but it would be totally unlike Fred and George to not go in all guns blazing.

I don't think he'll ever forget it or truly get over it. But at the same time, I think time and married life will eventually make the memory less painful and he'll be able to remember the good times.

"We Slytherins are brave, but not stupid." - Phineas Nigellus Black.

"Dreams like this must die." - RIP Andy Wood.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies