Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Future Novels in the Harry Potter World.

Old September 14th, 2011, 8:49 pm
First Year

Re: Future Novels in the Harry Potter World.

I think they will come eventually. They may be prequels, sequels, fill-in novels, or collections of short stories. I think that for JKR, the Potter series is similar to King's Dark Tower. No matter what he writes, it usually ends up connected to the Tower. His quote about the newest book in the series:

Quote:
At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book, I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again.
Eventually, her imagination will get the best of her. It has been impossible for the great writers of epic tales to completely leave behind the world they created. Tolkien wrote numerous books set in Middle-Earth after the Hobbit and LOTR books were complete, King's obsession with Mid-World has been largely documents, nearly every novel he's written ties into his epic in one way or another. I don't see her never writing again after being so successful at it. I know it is possible for her to write a book that is set completely outside of the Potter-verse, but I just don't think it is plausible. It might be ten or twenty years from now, but eventually the urge to revisit the world that she created will be too much to handle.

As far as what I would love to see: I would love for her to show something set in the time that Harry's grand-children are entering Hogwarts. There is one open-end as far as the possibilities of another "ultimate evil" to rise. If Harry is defeated or killed by another wizard, that wizard gains the allegiance of the Elder Wand. Maybe a troubled youth gets in trouble with the Ministry and has his wand broken. Forced into living as a Squib, the youth turns his focus on becoming the most powerful wizard of all time. There is no mention in DH of what Voldemort does with his original wand. The youth could track it down, use it to kill Harry, and then lay claim to the Elder Wand. The new series could be about Harry's children and grandchildren rallying under the remaining members of the trio to fight the new threat. It would free her from having to write exclusively about Harry and would still be set in the same world. The elder wand plot device is just too great to pass up. How could no one that witnessed the battle between Harry and Voldemort and heard about the elder wand have been tempted to claim it as their own?

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2011, 5:42 am
Seventh Year

I actually think if there is going to be a future novel based on one of the next generation kids it would be far more likely to be based on Rose or Hugo than it would be one of Harry's kids. I don't know why i believe that though.

Old September 17th, 2011, 1:54 pm
First Year

[quote=neville*longbottom;5877195]
Eventually, her imagination will get the best of her. It has been impossible for the great writers of epic tales to completely leave behind the world they created.../QUOTE]

100% agreed. Potter is such a part of Jo's life now, I definitely think its a matter of time before she goes back to that world in some form or other..hopefully sooner rather than later!

In fact, she's said on her twitter page that "pen and paper are still my priority at the moment", so maybe that means she might have something in the works as we speak....?

As for what novels i'd like to see in the future, I would definitely love to see something about the Marauder's era, whether a novel or short stories of some type. I'd love to see more of what James and the gang, as well as Snape, were like during their school years, and how they became the people we come to see in the series.

I could also see a series about the next generation, as well, but only if it's done right. I don't think it would be a good idea to simply recycle the original series by just adding a new trio and another Voldemort...but maybe, it could be something like this: Somehow Muggles find out that magic really exists, starting a modern-day "Witch Hunt". Witches and wizards are enslaved and exploited for their powers by the muggles, and a global muggle-wizard Civil War ensues because of it,which our new heroes must try and stop. I don't know I that made any sense, but hopefully you get my drift.

Personally, i'll just be happy if and when she comes out with another project, and I can't wait to find out what it is, if she does!

"Believe in love. Believe in magic. ...Believe in others. Believe in yourself. Believe in your dreams. If you don't, who will?"

Last edited by LoveAlways; September 17th, 2011 at 2:14 pm.
Old September 20th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Fourth Year

Well aside from pottermore, I hope to see something about Harry and Ron's kids as well. Not like a repeat of the trio adventures, but something that could make them like their parents.

Let us never forget Those who gave their lives to save our freedom
Old September 21st, 2011, 3:07 am
Second Year

Someone in the next dark lord thread suggested that a new plot could involve all rthe magic in the world getting "turned off" and seeing how our new protagonists react and fix the problem.

YewSpirit36 is waiting for Pottermore
Old September 27th, 2011, 6:01 pm
Fourth Year

That doesn't make much sense though(IMO) I mean to me that would take the magical wonder out of the Harry Potter world that JKR created.

Old October 4th, 2011, 4:09 pm
Second Year

Everyone seems to be gravitating towards a Wizards vs. muggles plotline in future books both here and in the next dark lord thread.

Old October 4th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Fourth Year

That does seem to be what most people are leaning towards. I will admit it would make a very good plot line, but then would JKR make it an adult series or would she still make it for young adults? I mean a war would have massive amounts of death, and destruction on scales that would be barely level with the defense of Hogwarts in DH. I mean would she be able to make the same link with characters for the readers as she did in Harry Potter, I mean with it being a war that would be hard to do, since their is a greater chance that the characters could die much sooner.

Old October 4th, 2011, 6:10 pm
First Year

If I have to choose one theme for a future novel it would be about the Marauders, Lily & Snape. To me it doesn't bother that we already know throughout the current serie how all of them ended. It's way more interesting to see/read how each of them progressed through life. So it doesn't have to be another 7 parts spread out through 7 books. It can be just one book in total. As long as it covers the era of their journey through Hogwarts and beyond. And of course Rowling could end that novel the way PS started.

After all the current series really got many hooked onto the Marauders, Lily or Snape. So why not let us know more about those specific characters? Including for instance both the Malfoys/Blacks family. I'm sure there's plenty to write about. It shouldn't be the exact same plot as we're used to thanks to the books right now. So it's not neccessary to follow them day after day from year 1 to year 7. But it's a timeline as a guide for writing the novel. I think many of us would be delighted if Rowling would introduce it to us within the near future.

And of course, there a plenty reasons to choose the Marauders/Snape/Lily. But you could as well opt for a different novel entitled to Dumbledore/Grindelwald/Voldemort his rise to power. There is still plenty to write about as I've told earlier. I myself would like one novel entitled to the Marauders era more, but I wouldn't say no to a novel entitled to Dumbledore/Grindelwald their era. They are both highly interested and Rowling could expand the series in more than just the tale of Harry Potter. And if you look at the idea economicswise.. why not? You will regenerate buzz for the current serie, we as current Potterheads for sure will buy the new novels. So many opportunities, they just scream: pick me, pick me!

Proud member of the Pottermore Battalion and loyal to our commander in chief: Gryff!
Old October 4th, 2011, 8:21 pm
Second Year

I don't know why but the idea of a marauders series never really appealed to me and I really hope that if she writes new books that it will be about something else.

Old October 4th, 2011, 11:45 pm
Fourth Year

I think that anything from Jo will just be fantastic, but what I would be very interested to read would be a longer story about the founders! You get a little small blob about them in the second book. I think it's far away enough from Harry and his world. Personally, I don't really want books about the Marauders, or the Next Generation, because I think it would just decrease the value of the books we have already-they would have to be even more epically amazing, haha. I'll reserve everything I want to know about them for Pottermore.

So, a Founders story, imo, would be her best bet! (I could even see her going more adult with that....but she would probably have to be a bit cautious if she did that)

Old October 5th, 2011, 12:53 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
I think that anything from Jo will just be fantastic, but what I would be very interested to read would be a longer story about the founders! You get a little small blob about them in the second book. I think it's far away enough from Harry and his world.

So, a Founders story, imo, would be her best bet! (I could even see her going more adult with that....but she would probably have to be a bit cautious if she did that)
I think that this is a wonderful idea. I agree that this would be her best option. Writing about the Trio's children would be difficult because of the similarities between them and the main Potter books: they are children, they go to Hogwarts, there isn't a "great evil" during the first few years at Hogwarts so it would have to devolpe into a war, etc. It would be hard to differentiate them from Harry's story in a significant enough way that they feel new.

The Marauders' era has more potential, but, as many have pointed out, we already know how that story is going to end. I believe it is much more workable than the Next Generation, however. Also, IMO, JKR could easily make this story darker, since the first war with Voldemort started when Snape, Lily, and the Marauders began their first year. Take the darkness and seriousness of Order of the Pheonix and put it into the first book of a new series, mini series, short story collection, and wa-la(!) you have a plot that is different enough from the original Potters. Plus, with characters like Remus, Sirius, Snape, Regulus, and Bellatrix, there is more room for more serious topics and for the development of comples characters. Instead of Snape and Dumbledore being the main complex characters, there would be a whole cast of them. That being said, I feel like it is still too soon to write this story. The 7th movie just came out. Pottermore isn't even open to the public yet. More time needs to pass before it can be written. Well, published. It can be written at any time (hopefully sooner than later).

Therefore, the Founders are really the only viable option at the moment. We know basically nothing about them, yet we know enough where they are still strongly connected to the original 7 books. They are shrouded in mystery yet firmly established in existing canon. We know that witches an wizards were being hunted down by Muggles, to the 'muggles v. wizards' theme that seems to be popular. By virtue that it takes place thousands of years prior to Harry and the gang the story wouldn't feel too similar to Harry's, no matter what.

FireboltSpell68
wand: hazel with unicorn core, ten inches, surprisingly swishy

Seeds of Greatness

made by GryffSoldier
Old October 5th, 2011, 2:33 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodfoot View Post
I think that this is a wonderful idea. I agree that this would be her best option. Writing about the Trio's children would be difficult because of the similarities between them and the main Potter books: they are children, they go to Hogwarts, there isn't a "great evil" during the first few years at Hogwarts so it would have to devolpe into a war, etc. It would be hard to differentiate them from Harry's story in a significant enough way that they feel new.

The Marauders' era has more potential, but, as many have pointed out, we already know how that story is going to end. I believe it is much more workable than the Next Generation, however. Also, IMO, JKR could easily make this story darker, since the first war with Voldemort started when Snape, Lily, and the Marauders began their first year. Take the darkness and seriousness of Order of the Pheonix and put it into the first book of a new series, mini series, short story collection, and wa-la(!) you have a plot that is different enough from the original Potters. Plus, with characters like Remus, Sirius, Snape, Regulus, and Bellatrix, there is more room for more serious topics and for the development of comples characters. Instead of Snape and Dumbledore being the main complex characters, there would be a whole cast of them. That being said, I feel like it is still too soon to write this story. The 7th movie just came out. Pottermore isn't even open to the public yet. More time needs to pass before it can be written. Well, published. It can be written at any time (hopefully sooner than later).

Therefore, the Founders are really the only viable option at the moment. We know basically nothing about them, yet we know enough where they are still strongly connected to the original 7 books. They are shrouded in mystery yet firmly established in existing canon. We know that witches an wizards were being hunted down by Muggles, to the 'muggles v. wizards' theme that seems to be popular. By virtue that it takes place thousands of years prior to Harry and the gang the story wouldn't feel too similar to Harry's, no matter what.
A series about the Marauders years would only be interesting to me if we delved into the minds of some of the very minor characters, like Regulus, we know he turns against Vodly, but why? I think if we did get stories about the Marauders I know they'll be wonderfully written with these cast of characters! I think the two problems I would have about a Marauders series though would be that it's to close to Harry's era, and also we do know where it all ends. I think I'll just be insanely depressed reading it, considering everyone in the Marauder's era pretty much dies. Unless people fancy tragedy...

But short stories about them would be nice, I can see it now; a whole book of short stories based in different parts of the Marauders life's.

Yea, that's exactly what I was trying to get at when I said she should write about the founders. Not only do we have a conflict already, we also get to see the creation of Hogwarts. Thinking about it makes me happy! ...I should stop getting excited, I'll just get my hopes up. Anyways, I just hope that someday we get some more information about everything! Founders, Marauders, and the Next Generation, I'll be happy even if it's only just added info on Pottermore. But having a hardcover book about the Founders just sounds awesome to me!

Old October 5th, 2011, 3:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
I think that anything from Jo will just be fantastic, but what I would be very interested to read would be a longer story about the founders! You get a little small blob about them in the second book. I think it's far away enough from Harry and his world. Personally, I don't really want books about the Marauders, or the Next Generation, because I think it would just decrease the value of the books we have already-they would have to be even more epically amazing, haha. I'll reserve everything I want to know about them for Pottermore.

Go Founders. Boo Marauders.

Old October 6th, 2011, 7:56 pm
First Year

A founders novel or series would be fantastic, I can imagine it being alot darker than the HP series, and I think it would work really well as more of an adult book, similar to LOTR and His Dark Materials, it would really take HP to another level.

As for the Next Generation, I personally don't think there's much to do there really, unless maybe as more of a short story series, for younger kids.

Also, it'd be interesting to see a novel set in the HP Universe but with a completely different feel to it, with different characters perhaps even in a different country or time period.

Old October 6th, 2011, 8:43 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjc View Post
Also, it'd be interesting to see a novel set in the HP Universe but with a completely different feel to it, with different characters perhaps even in a different country or time period.
If that were the case I think it should somehow even very indirectly relate to or influence the original series. That would be a cool thing to see.

Old October 11th, 2011, 3:08 pm
Fourth Year

I wouldn't mind seeing a book or novel over the companionship of Albus and Grindewald, that end in their History making battle. I think that would make a nice single book, or as brilliant as JKR is, she could probably make a small series out of it. She could even go into detail on Ariana, and show how strong the link was there, and we could actually see the real thing, and not just hear it from Aberforth's side.

Old October 18th, 2011, 9:31 pm
Second Year

I think maybe Al should run away from Hogwarts due to the huge pressure that's been put on him and got to a wizarding school in America or some other part of the world where he can go to school with a fake name and solve a mystery or vanquish a foe like Harry.

Old October 20th, 2011, 2:38 am
First Year

I would definitely like to read a prequel!

Old October 23rd, 2011, 4:51 am
Second Year

I saw on tumblr today that Jo announced a new book series. I doubt the validity of it and I'm new to tumblr so I don't really understand it but I would think that more information would be out on it if there really was a new series announced.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References