Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Do all students travel on the Hogwarts Express?

Old May 11th, 2008, 1:37 pm
Zonko's Employee

Do all students travel on the Hogwarts Express?

I was wondering if you thought all the children traveled to Hogwarts on the train? Seeing as Hogsmeade is the only all wizard village then I can imagine that there would be young wizards there, it seems a bit silly for them to travel all the way to London only to come back to Hogsmeade again on the train, when they could just walk or wait for the carriages from Hogsmeade station. However there are the social implications of traveling on the train.

What do you think?

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2008, 3:31 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Do all students travel on the Hogwarts Express?

I can see the Hogsmeade issue, but I think that all students do go on the Hogwarts Express. Some of it could have to do with the not wanting people to know the exact location of the castle. We saw in GoF that the schools like to hide themselves from each other. Maybe the Hogwarts Express is an old tradition of hiding the actual location. Just a thought.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old May 11th, 2008, 4:07 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllagnire View Post
I can see the Hogsmeade issue, but I think that all students do go on the Hogwarts Express. Some of it could have to do with the not wanting people to know the exact location of the castle. We saw in GoF that the schools like to hide themselves from each other. Maybe the Hogwarts Express is an old tradition of hiding the actual location. Just a thought.
Surely though they would know Hogwarts was near with all the students and teachers visiting?

My book blog
Old May 11th, 2008, 4:22 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllagnire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucybird View Post
Surely though they would know Hogwarts was near with all the students and teachers visiting?
Yeah, but if you think about it, How many students actually come from Hogsmeade? Prolly not very many. They might go to where the Train stops and meet the other students there. Then ride the carriage's into Hogwarts. I know if I lived in Hogdmeade I wouldn't want to travel all the way to London them back just for school that is walking distance from Hogsmeade.

Old May 11th, 2008, 4:29 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

One possible way to do it might be to meet the train at the Hogsmeade station and go to the school together with everyone else from there.

I don't remember if Jo has ever addressed this question.

Old May 11th, 2008, 4:55 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyShay24 View Post
I know if I lived in Hogdmeade I wouldn't want to travel all the way to London them back just for school that is walking distance from Hogsmeade.
There's not a lot of effort involved in going to London by Floo or portkey.

Besides which it seems that a goodly amount of supplies can only be obtained in Diagon Alley.

Anyway, if I recall my high school excursions, the journey was most of the fun.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 11th, 2008, 5:01 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
There's not a lot of effort involved in going to London by Floo or portkey.

Besides which it seems that a goodly amount of supplies can only be obtained in Diagon Alley.

Anyway, if I recall my high school excursions, the journey was most of the fun.

That's true. It just seems a bit silly. You can't mess with tradition, so they might just travel to London.

Old May 11th, 2008, 5:08 pm
Zonko's Employee

I imagine you can buy quite a few things in Hogsmeade, maybe not a wand, and other things can be ordered

My book blog
Old May 11th, 2008, 5:50 pm

The wand chooses the wizard. Something that can't be done by mail order.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old May 11th, 2008, 7:04 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
The wand chooses the wizard. Something that can't be done by mail order.
I did say except the wand, but that only needs one visit in most cases

My book blog
Old May 11th, 2008, 7:10 pm
Always Indy's Girl

I thought all students did travel only by the Hogwarts Express. But they could also portkey or floo to the Three Broomsticks and walk down to the School; but are students allowed to come on their own?

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old May 11th, 2008, 7:54 pm
Second Year

I think they do. Floo and Portkey might be possible, but it's easier to be sighted that way and I don't think the students would be trusted on their own. Except the possible exception of a few Hogsmeade villagers who could walk to school, they probably all took the train as a safety measure and just because it's tradition.

Proud winner of the Borders' Harry Potter Midnight Release Spelling Bee.
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 1- Acceptable
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 2- Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 3- Acceptable
^^And happy with that^^
Old May 11th, 2008, 8:36 pm
First Year

They always could enchant a Muggle car and fly it to Hogwarts, like Harry & Ron did in their second year. That's another possibility.

Old May 14th, 2008, 7:21 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I thought all students did travel only by the Hogwarts Express. But they could also portkey or floo to the Three Broomsticks and walk down to the School; but are students allowed to come on their own?
At 11 years old, I'm not sure they'd be allowed to portkey or floo by themselves. And Muggleborns would be stuck, as would Harry, or Half-Bloods who lived among Muggles.

Though it does seem silly for someone living in Scotland to go all the way down to London just to go back to Scotland, it seems that's what they do. We see Cho on the train, for example.

Besides, the Hogwarts Express is a tradition. It's also the opportunity for new students to meet outside the school before they're actually in, and Sorted.

I'd go with, the students living outside London (even in the North) travelling there one way or the other (with their parents they could portkey or floo or do side-by-side Apparition), get their school supplies in Diagon Alley then board the Express and start meeting their schoolmates and classmates, their prefects, sometimes their professors (Lupin, Slughorn...)

Old May 29th, 2008, 1:57 pm
Second Year

I always found the concept of the hogwarts express a bit odd. What if you lived closer to the other side of hogwarts - like scotland or whatever. a bit pointless making such a big journey on a train. and why do they even take a train? i mean seriously haha cant they save several hours by setting up portkeys and stuff. If you ask me the train is just asking for trouble amongst the students. Another thing is, harry doesnt always travel by hogwarts express to hogwarts, he takes the knight bus etc during christmas holidays, so whats the point of always taking the hogwarts express. Its weird haha.

Harry and Ginny 4eva

"But the unsightly blemishes on your visage young master"
Old May 29th, 2008, 4:10 pm

It's logistically simpler to have everyone arriving at the same time and place.

And in the wizarding world Scotland to London is not a big journey given the options of side along apparition, portkeys and floo.

Old May 29th, 2008, 4:27 pm
Second Year

why not then tell all the students what time to arrive at hogwarts and set up portkeys around the country? surely that would be easier and save several hours long journey

Harry and Ginny 4eva

Old May 29th, 2008, 6:06 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel_king7 View Post
why not then tell all the students what time to arrive at hogwarts and set up portkeys around the country? surely that would be easier and save several hours long journey
For the students maybe, but not for the school, it would take a lot of organising. Plus as Wab said they could use floo powder or side-along apparation to get to the station, and muggleborns might have trouble with using a portkey first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Visitor View Post

Though it does seem silly for someone living in Scotland to go all the way down to London just to go back to Scotland, it seems that's what they do. We see Cho on the train, for example.
But we have no canon that Cho is Scottish, just the actress who plays her in the films (or as far as I remember)

My book blog
Old May 30th, 2008, 7:11 am
Second Year

LOL so your telling me its harder for a new student to take a portkey, where all you have to do is touch something, over walking through a SOLID barrier at Kings Cross! come on haha thats not an excuse at all. Obviousy Jo wrote in the hogwarts express so that there was time to explain the story line and what had happened (on the way home) and i guess on the way there its useful for seeing all the characters and finding out whats going on with them. BUT in a practical sense, its pretty stupid if you ask me. As ive allready said, these are wizards, why would they waste several hours of their day on some train when they could instantly travel to their destination. it would be safer too! dont forget the train can be intercepted like in PoA for example

Harry and Ginny 4eva

Old May 30th, 2008, 8:30 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel_king7 View Post
LOL so your telling me its harder for a new student to take a portkey, where all you have to do is touch something, over walking through a SOLID barrier at Kings Cross! come on haha thats not an excuse at all. Obviousy Jo wrote in the hogwarts express so that there was time to explain the story line and what had happened (on the way home) and i guess on the way there its useful for seeing all the characters and finding out whats going on with them. BUT in a practical sense, its pretty stupid if you ask me. As ive allready said, these are wizards, why would they waste several hours of their day on some train when they could instantly travel to their destination. it would be safer too! dont forget the train can be intercepted like in PoA for example
Good point about magic, but the journey allows students to get acquainted or reacquainted before getting to Hogwarts - and extend their last moments together on the way home at the end of the school year. Especially at the end of the 7th year, wouldn't it be sad to just say a quick goodbye to the people you've been with for so long, wave and grab a Portkey? Or walk out of the Hogwarts Gate and Disapparate?

Besides, riding the train is an old and revered British tradition. You see a lot of train rides in British books, even in this day and age.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References