Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

View Poll Results: What is Snape's greatest strength?
his ability to love 62 34.83%
his intellect 74 41.57%
his humour 27 15.17%
his ability to quickly adapt to changes 43 24.16%
his single-mindedness 30 16.85%
his bravery 88 49.44%
I don't see Snape having any particular strengths. 13 7.30%
You didn't list my favourite option. You're on Snape's radar now. 23 12.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26th, 2009, 10:53 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH, "The Prince's Tale"

"In - in return?" Snape gaped at Dumbledore, and Harry expected him to protest, but after a long moment he said, "Anything."
WHat was going through his mind? Was he wondering whether Dumbledore could possibly mean he would not act on Snape's information? Trying to decide what he should offer? The "long moment" here intrigues me.
In that context, I think we have to look at where Snape has been. Voldemort asked his followers to serve or die. Once they had the Dark Mark it was constant servitude.

It may be that Snape was wondering if Dumbledore would force him to make an Unbreakable Vow to serve the Order or die. He had no way of knowing that Dumbledore would actually trust him.

Or alternatively, maybe Severus was just having trouble putting his thoughts into words. That "long moment" for me is Snape looking at his life up till then and realizing that for him nothing was as important as his love for Lily. To say "Anything" is a very raw and honest.

So I think that in his mind he is admitting that no matter what Dumbledore wants from him, he will do it or die trying.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2009, 1:02 pm
First Year

@wickedwickedboy

Quirrell disguised himself to trick a drunk Hagrid into telling him about how to get past Fluffy in return for a dragon's egg .After that part rest was easy for Quirrell . Henc he managed to end up with Harry

Old April 26th, 2009, 3:01 pm
Lycanthrope

I remember that. . What I was thinking about though, was if Snape knew something strange was up with Quirrell, wouldn't Dumbledore know too? And would not they have put a stop to any of his plans earlier? Or was Snape on his own looking for the stone for some reason?

Old April 26th, 2009, 3:04 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I remember that. . What I was thinking about though, was if Snape knew something strange was up with Quirrell, wouldn't Dumbledore know too? And would not they have put a stop to any of his plans earlier? Or was Snape on his own looking for the stone for some reason?
Hmm, didn't Dumbledore tell him to 'keep an eye on Quirrell'? We don't really know, can't really know wether Dumbledore told everything to Snape what he suspected, but in the end he tells Harry that Snape "worked very hard this year to keep him safe" (something like that) so he had to know to a certain extent what was going on...

*In: Snape's Happy Ending, fanfic by CathyWeasley

SNAPE'S MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH
Old April 26th, 2009, 4:16 pm

In how far do you interpret this scene differently after DH?

DH confirmed my suspicion that Snape has long since decided where his "loyalties" lay, and it was not with Voldemort.

What do you think was Snape's main motivation in this scene?

He wants to keep the Stone safe, I think. He knows Voldemort is going to return someday; we now know Albus confided this to him after Lily's death. Later would be better than sooner.

Why is he the one confronting Quirrell at all?

Because Dumbledore asked him to keep an eye on Quirrell. Several of the teachers, including Snape, know about the Stone and havce controbuted defenses to it, but Snaope is the one ALbus asks to keep an eye on the person he apparently suspects.

If Dumbledore had wondered, after Lily's death, whether he could still rely on Snape's services against Voldemort after having failed to protect her, he had his answer at the end of PS/SS. Snape was quite zealous and went beyond protecting Harry in this assignment.

Nothing to do with DH, but I somehow never before noticed the description of Fluffy as "that beast of Hagrid's". Methinks someone did not appreciate being bitten.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 26th, 2009, 5:17 pm

I think the scene with Quirrell in the forest fits perfectly with what we know about Snape in Deathly Hallows. I believe the reason JKR set it in the forest is that it leads Harry to connect Snape to the "cursed" creature he sees drinking the blood of the unicorn. She wants to cast doubt on Snape instead of Quirrell, who was the real unicorn killer, to make the ending such a surprise for Harry as well as the readers. The fact that Snape and Quirrell argue leads Harry to think that Snape is also arguing with Quirrell in the classroom later, when really it is Quirrel arguing with Voldemort inside his own head (a real parallel to Harry with his visions through the horcrux in Deathly Hallows).

In reality, Snape is one of the few characters who isn't afraid to go into the forest, and that's a good trait. The centaurs don't confront him there, either, as they do other people they see as unworthy to be there, such as Umbridge. Snape is seen very at home in the forest with Lily as a boy, and then he brings the sword to Harry in the Forest of Dean, leading him there with the Silver Doe.

Quirrell is the one who is nervous and afraid in the forest, as he should be because he has done a taboo thing in killing the unicorn.

The dying unicorn Harry sees being attacked by Quirrelmort could be seen as a symbol of Lily - a creature of pure love being killed by someone who is then cursed by it. The Silver Doe, is very similar in appearance to a unicorn. And of course, Voldemort takes blood from the unicorn and later takes Harry's blood in the graveyard.

There's a good essay on Mugglenet about Lily and the Unicorn:
To Kill a Unicorn: "A Half-Life, A Cursed Life"

That writer makes a good point that when Voldemort takes Harry's blood in GoF, it turns white in the cauldron because it's pure - just like the unicorn blood.

Obviously, knowing what we know now about Snape after DH, he was on the side of the unicorn, and not in league with Quirrellmort at all, in my opinion.

Snape's motivation was to get information about what Quirrell was up to, because Dumbledore asked him to keep an eye on the guy.

It shows that Dumbledore trusted Snape to keep an eye on people who might threaten Harry. I can't think of anyone else who would do that besides Hagrid, but we know that later Quirrell is able to fool Hagrid with the dragon egg, but he never pulls anything over on Snape. That makes Voldemort's line at the end of the book that Snape "looks like the type" who would be evil pretty funny, in my opinion.

Old April 26th, 2009, 6:00 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath
And ZOMG, all the hugging...I'm quite baffled. I do usually not get much love from the posters in this thread. And all it took was a poll - you're all very easy.
Yes, we're all bright little rays of sunshine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I believe the reason JKR set it in the forest is that it leads Harry to connect Snape to the "cursed" creature he sees drinking the blood of the unicorn. She wants to cast doubt on Snape instead of Quirrell, who was the real unicorn killer, to make the ending such a surprise for Harry as well as the readers.
I'd never thought of it that way, but you're right. Putting Snape in the forest before Harry sees the unicorn killed would definitely connect both scenes in the reader's mind. And giving Snape the gait of a predator-- "prowling"-- would have added to the image.

Quote:
That makes Voldemort's line at the end of the book that Snape "looks like the type" who would be evil pretty funny, in my opinion.
Probably one of my favorite lines, actually, because it points out the absurdity of judging on first glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zg
To me it is a difference between him and Petunia. She and Snape both wind up unwilling guardians of Harry. She does not manage to communicate to him when they part whether she even cares that he will live or die. Snape, on the other hand, does.
Before DH, JKR mentioned that there may be more on Petunia. I wonder if she changed her mind for precisely this reason: to maintain a contrast between Severus and Petunia.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old April 26th, 2009, 6:20 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Before DH, JKR mentioned that there may be more on Petunia. I wonder if she changed her mind for precisely this reason: to maintain a contrast between Severus and Petunia.
I don't really understand that, because we did get more on Petunia relative to why she disliked her sister and the foundation for it (meeting Snape in her youth), imo. So I don't think JKR changed her mind. Perhaps she didn't give more information of the type expected by each reader, but we did get more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zg
To me it is a difference between him and Petunia. She and Snape both wind up unwilling guardians of Harry. She does not manage to communicate to him when they part whether she even cares that he will live or die. Snape, on the other hand, does.
How so? And why do you feel Petunia's parting with Harry didn't show that she had his well being in mind?

Old April 26th, 2009, 6:24 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
I don't really understand that, because we did get more on Petunia relative to why she disliked her sister and the foundation for it (meeting Snape in her youth), imo.
Yes, but that information was not provided by Petunia herself, she did not freely/willingly communicate anything to Harry. That explanation was from Snape. Which I think is the difference Zg and Iggy are pointing out: Snape chose to give Harry information which allowed for understanding; Petunia when she left did not, she couldn't bring herself to say anything to Harry.

Old April 26th, 2009, 6:27 pm
Always Indy's Girl

[*]Do you think he wanted or needed Harry's forgiveness on some level?

Yes; mainly for handing over the prophecy, perhaps only for that. Snape could not correct that wrong and nor could he explain it, like he could all his other actions. This wrong he could not rectify and this cost Harry so much. Snape would have felt more if that were possible after the Occlumency lessons.

Which is why perhaps Snape showed Harry the meeting on the hill and Dumbledore's disgust.

[*]What do you think would Snape say about Albus Severus?

He wouldn't say anything, but I think he would like it. A lot.

[*]Based on how his character is supposed to end up: if you could change/improve one thing about Snape, what would it be?

Nothing, because he would not be Snape. Not his attitude in the classrooms, not his work for Dumbledore and not even his death I think at this moment.

[*]Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?

Mostly I don't, but she's entitled to her views.

[*]Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?

The potential to change was there. So he could have changed. When would be the question and that I don't know.

[*]How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?

In no way. Did "very fair" McGonagall or "all aware" Dumbledore or any other teacher have complaints that he was bullying Neville or Harry? We have nothing in canon. Perhaps we can say these were unconcerned teachers; they kept silent with the werewolf incident after all.

But would the parents of the bullied children apart from Harry who did not have them, be silent? Snape after the werewolf incident had no one to speak for him, would Mrs. Longbottom, or the parents of the many students Snape is supposed to have bullied or ill-treated kept quiet? And yet we have no canon on Snape's "bullying".

I think he was harsh with Neville and Harry to an extra degree and I think it was because of circumstances and his own position in DE circle who were watching each other; Lucius was on the Board, kids of DE in the School and so on.

Canon through the parents, the Board and other teachers say no; Snape did not bully students, by their very inaction and silence. I cannot believe the parents especially, don't mind Snape bullying their kids. If they are quiet; if canon is quiet on that then that must mean something. Unless none of the parents cared or all the children he bullied were orphans or all the kids were abused and had no one to say a word for them. That I cannot believe, for I know a family in canon, where the parents were very loving, very caring and would kill for their kids. The mother actually did. She had 7 kids, all of them Hogwarts students who uniformly did not care much for Snape and were pretty vocal about it too. She also took in Harry as her son and cared equally for him. But she never takes Snape to task for being a bully towards Harry, Ron, Ginny or any of her other children.

Molly Weasley who is quick to react to the Skeeter article in GoF (against Hermione) and is quick to take offence if her children are in any way harmed and she includes Harry in that circle, and if she does not say a word in canon, then Snape IMO is not a bully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I do usually not get much love from the posters in this thread. And all it took was a poll - you're all very easy.
Great poll and some awesome questions too

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old April 26th, 2009, 6:28 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
Yes, but that information was not provided by Petunia herself, she did not freely/willingly communicate anything to Harry. That explanation was from Snape. Which I think is the difference Zg and Iggy are pointing out: Snape chose to give Harry information which allowed for understanding; Petunia when she left did not, she couldn't bring herself to say anything to Harry.
Ah well I still don't see how that means JKR changed her mind. It doesn't matter how we got the information, just so that we got more information, imo. . It was the same with Snape, we found out more background information on him as well- not provided by Snape himself directly or indirectly - but rather as provided by other characters. But we still found out.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; April 26th, 2009 at 6:31 pm.
Old April 26th, 2009, 6:40 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
Ah well I still don't see how that means JKR changed her mind. It doesn't matter how we got the information, just so that we got more information, imo. . It was the same with Snape, we found out more background information on him as well- not provided by Snape himself directly or indirectly - but rather as provided by other characters. But we still found out.
It highlights a contrast between the characters, one was prepared to explain and reveal for themselves, the other was not. It's true we found out information from other sources, but it can mean a great deal when someone takes the time (or finds a way) to explain a situation and their feelings directly themselves. Rather than hearing through the grapevine, with others people's feelings and impressions added on. Imo.

We still found out, yes but in terms of the character's traits and motivations it can matter, it's a difference in how they dealt with Harry, imo.

Last edited by Annielogic; April 26th, 2009 at 6:44 pm.
Old April 26th, 2009, 7:46 pm

I was pretty certain of Snape's loyalties before DH, so the information in DH just confirmed it.
I think SIP, made a good observation regarding this scene, in that it was set up by JKR in order to put suspicion onto Snape.

I think he was motivated to protect the Stone. I think Severus had suspicions that Quirrell was trying to get the Stone after Halloween. During this scene, it seemed that he wanted to let Quirrell know that he knew exactly what he was up to, and was trying to scare Quirrell into telling him what he knew of the other protections.

I think it is because it was him who was set the task by Dumbledore of keeping an eye on Quirrell.

Old April 26th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
I wish Petunia had talked to Harry - I was really hoping for something more about Lily through her. Oh well! We got plenty through Snape!

I also thought Petunia might say something to Harry about Snape at the beginning of DH. She must have heard by then that Dumbledore was allegedly killed by Snape, and it surprised me that she wouldn't ask Harry for more information on that. I guess JKR thought Petunia wouldn't have enough curiousity, but the Dursleys were always watching the news or wondering about the neighbors, so they seemed nosy to me.

Old April 26th, 2009, 8:35 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
I wish Petunia had talked to Harry - I was really hoping for something more about Lily through her. Oh well! We got plenty through Snape!

I also thought Petunia might say something to Harry about Snape at the beginning of DH. She must have heard by then that Dumbledore was allegedly killed by Snape, and it surprised me that she wouldn't ask Harry for more information on that. I guess JKR thought Petunia wouldn't have enough curiousity, but the Dursleys were always watching the news or wondering about the neighbors, so they seemed nosy to me.
This seems more about Petunia than Snape, so I've answered in her thread.

I was convinced Snape was working for Dumbledore and trying to protect Harry, before reading DH. As SIP pointed out, it's another example of the author skillfully misdirecting the reader (through Harry) as to what Snape's real intentions were. Truth isn't always appearance.

To discover just how far Quirrell had found out in regards to getting past the Stone's protection. Where Quirrell's loyality lay and how much of a threat he posed.

Dumbledore told him to keep an eye on him, so Dumbledore trusted Snape to watch over and protect Harry and intervene if a danger became apparent.

Last edited by Annielogic; April 26th, 2009 at 10:08 pm. Reason: typos
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:07 pm
Zonko's Employee

The 11th version! Yay!

And yay poll!

And the poll said to list Snape's greatest strength, not strengths, so while I adore his intellect, his humour, and do believe he was very brave (as did Harry, my other favourite character ) I voted for his single-mindedness. Which to me is obvious from canon and indisputable.

Snape's ability to love is something I find problematic. The depth of his feeling for Lily is obvious. I just think that if his love was really that pure, he would never have treated Harry the way he did.

Don't get me wrong, I believe firmly, based on my interpretation of the character, that he was working to protect Harry. And love is a strong motif in the series and Snape's love for Lily is all part of that, so ... yep, from a thematic POV, it works.

And it's the fact that here is a character who is working to protect the son of a man he hated which makes Severus so very ... fascinating, in his inimitable, rather twisted fashion.

I like my Severus dark and twisty. The nastier side of him doesn't have to be sanitised or made more acceptable in order for me to like the character more than I do. I think he's JKR's best creation, hands down.

# Do you think he wanted or needed Harry's forgiveness on some level?

Yes. I thought his death scene revealed something of that. It's too brief, the manner of his death too brutal, to give us any more than a hint but I thought it was indicating something.

# What do you think would Snape say about Albus Severus?

As Zara said, I would give anything to see the reaction of his portrait when told about young Al.

# Based on how his character is supposed to end up: if you could change/improve one thing about Snape, what would it be?

I would have liked to have seen, if not exactly a softening of his attitude towards Harry, then a sign of respect for the boy. I would never want my Snape too fluffy, heavens no! But I always wanted more from the Snape/Harry relationship in canon and I always thought the author would do something more with it.

Explanations were impossible. Too much unhappy history between the two. As it was, Snape's actions alone were enough to convince Harry in the end that, unlikely as it seemed, Snape really had been on his side after all. I wanted more, but I can live with what we got.

# What do you think Snape would have done, if he had survived DH?

I've read so many great alternative scenarios for this. I like the ones when he gets a new identity and the Ministry can't trace him but he can't help keeping an eye on Harry and his family, just in case ...

# Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?

Her interview statements do not do justice to the character she created. Who is clearly far more than just the nasty teacher she remembered from her school days.

Old April 27th, 2009, 12:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
[*]Do you think he wanted or needed Harry's forgiveness on some level?

Yes; mainly for handing over the prophecy, perhaps only for that. Snape could not correct that wrong and nor could he explain it, like he could all his other actions. This wrong he could not rectify and this cost Harry so much. Snape would have felt more if that were possible after the Occlumency lessons.
I am not sure that Snape was immediately cognizant of the harm he had done to Harry, when he learned of Lily's death. I don't mean he lacked the ability to determine rationally that Harry was now an orphan, and he had the same degree of responsibility for that as he had for Lily's death - I mean I am not sure he appreciated this on an emotional level, and certainly I doubt he had any idea what this would mean for Harry.

But I am sure this changed, owing to the memories Snape chose to share with Harry in the end of DH. Occlumency lessons might well be one thing that was a catalyst to what I see as a change in stance towards Harry.

Quote:
Which is why perhaps Snape showed Harry the meeting on the hill and Dumbledore's disgust.
I thought this was making sure Harry understood that initially, Snape really could not have cared less about him for his own sake. That, as well as the memory in which Dumbledore tells himto keep an eye on Quirrell.

Quote:
[*]Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?

The potential to change was there. So he could have changed. When would be the question and that I don't know.
I agree, and we can't possibly know, it would presumably be a change brought about by circumstances, as the actual change that happened in the books was. Or the right circumstances would not present themselves. Of he would die very young. No way for us to guess!

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 27th, 2009, 4:09 am
Second Year

For that scene you posted, I think Dumbledore asked Snape, like he seems to have done all the time, to talk to Quirrel. As to why Quirrel would have ended up in the chamber for the stone with DD knowing he was doing so and still flying to London is because Dumbledore wanted Harry to be the hero and try his strength (he said so in SS/PS in a way). Snape was probably trying to stop him a little but not to the extent as to make sure he was stopped. DD and Snape were only putting the thought in Qurriells head or maybe proving that Quirrell was a bad guy? I dont know really haha.

The poll for me is that Snape didnt have any real strengths. I feel like all those "qualities" actually helped him in his downfall.

I would like to also answer a few of the questions:
What do you think Snape would have done, if he had survived DH?
I think he would have gone back to his normal life. I dont think much would have changed except that Harry would have probably talked to him being that he certaintly deems him as a hero.

Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?
yes. Jo saw him as a character not to really like (in those interviews). I feel he is not someone to enjoy being with.

Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?
I dont think he ever moved on nor would have if she hadnt died. He knew that her heart belonged to James and he never forgave himself for letting that happen. No he would not have gone good. He chose the DE as a teen which caused Lilly to go away to James. If Lilly had lived he would not have felt remorse and would never have been able to confront Lilly with the fact that he made LV leave her alone. That would have been weakness.

Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius.
It doesnt make me think he is good or amazing. His actions are horrible. He promises to act on DDs behave but he acts like he is evil towards everyone. He hides his true feelings. The murder of DD was planned and thats just him acting on orders so that doesnt make me love or hate him. Its orders, he has to follow them. Holding grudges with old classmates is low and seems like a girly thing to do. Its not helping the Order and helps break the Order apart- which is not what DD wanted.

Why do you think Snape chose to become a Death Eater?
Because it gave him a sense of power and meaning. He also hated muggle borns.

What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Voldemort had targeted with the prophecy?
I think that him asking for others to help save his love was a good thing to do because it showed he loved someone and had regret for his actions.

What do you think about Snape's relationship with Dumbledore? Did they become friends or was Dumbledore a substitute father figure for him?
I think it was a relationship of acquitances basically. They never liked each other. DD munipulated Snape into doing whatever he wanted and Snape had to these tasks even if he didnt like them because it would help Lilly and make him feel better. Dumbledore was not a friend- he used Snape to get what he wanted. He wasnt a father figure either- no consolting, no helping, no caring about him.

Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?
yes I do think Slytherin was a good choice. He was a rule breaker and met the qualities of a slytherin. Even if he had been in another house I still think he would have made the same decisions to be a DE. He saw a huge group and liked their opinions and went with them.

Old April 27th, 2009, 6:24 am
Fourth Year

• In how far do you interpret this scene differently after DH? He's clearly very, very angry with Quirrell. It seems like Quirrell has tried to weasel his way out of a confrontation. I think he knew Snape had caught him in a lie and was going to corner him and expose his secret.
  • What do you think was Snape's main motivation in this scene? First of all, I want to thank you for posting this from PS. It's been a while since I read it. Snape is definitely angry at Quirrell. He knows Quirrell has been lying to him and other people and wants to corner him. He wants Quirrell to know he's onto him and while Quirrell may be able to play the role of the poor helpless Victim with others, Snape can see beyond his act and doesn't appreciate it.
  • Why is he the one confronting Quirrell at all? Because I think if there is anything Snape won't put up with, it's being lied to and being treated like he's an idiot. Plus, if anyone can make someone squirm and tremble and tell the truth, it's Snape. Ok, Dumbledore may be able to get to the bottom of things, but he's never been threatening about it. He's always tried to warm up to the person, tried to gain their trust and help him. Snape realized he couldn't try to buy time to buddy up, gain Quirrell's trust. Plus, he knew he frightened Quirrell, so he'd be less likely to try to play the victim with Snape than someone else.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old April 27th, 2009, 6:48 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
I wish Petunia had talked to Harry -
I do too, especially at the part where the Dursleys left Harry for good.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References