Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Severus Snape's Death v2.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 4:48 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Severus Snape's Death v2.

And asking to see Lily´s eyes,as the last thing he sees ...that was soo touching...
It was like ,seeing into his eyes ,he was seeing hers ,and I like to think he was like saying ..mission accomplished lily,I did all I could.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2007, 4:57 am
First Year

I liked his way of dying very much, horrible but touchy and excellently written. I can't wait to see in the movie.
BTW Montse " After all he was all the time a puppet in the hands of the puppeter(DD)" what a phrasing, it made me smile for some reason , very true.

And by liking above I mean only from dramatic and literary pov. Otherwise I was quite in bit of shock/sad at his death when it happened and its tragic.
----------------
----------------

Last edited by Aisha; December 23rd, 2007 at 5:00 pm.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 5:13 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisha View Post
I liked his way of dying very much, horrible but touchy and excellently written. I can't wait to see in the movie.
BTW Montse " After all he was all the time a puppet in the hands of the puppeter(DD)" what a phrasing, it made me smile for some reason , very true.

----------------
----------------
*Smiles*
*Beams*
*Dances*
someone likes my phrase...yey

*stops to think*
Is it mine ,or I read it somewhere...?
*shakes head*
Doesnt care it applies to Snape very well...
*dances some more*

Thankyou!!!

Snape,I never really liked him,cause he did make Harry´s life a bit difficult...But when he died...I couldnt read anymore,I was crying sooo much...

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old December 23rd, 2007, 5:29 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
And asking to see Lily´s eyes,as the last thing he sees ...that was soo touching...
It was like ,seeing into his eyes ,he was seeing hers ,and I like to think he was like saying ..mission accomplished lily,I did all I could.
Right, but my point was there were two forces at play. JKR said Snape loathed Harry when he died. We know that was because he loathed James. So my point was that this other great force 'loathing' James, which had been so relevant to much of his existence, had to be dealt with before Snape could have what he wanted - a last look in Lily's eyes. It was quick, the quickness only known to the dying, but Snape had to come to some type of peace with James, still loathing him (thus Harry), but recogition that there was no getting by that particular force if he was to be able to look in Harry's face and see those eyes as Lily's for the first time in his life. So he had to have come to some peace with his loathing, if you will, and only then could he see the eyes in James!Harry's face, as Lily's. It is complicated - but when isn't Snape complicated? .

I have always looked at it as Snape forcefully ignoring the James!Harry entity altogether and focusing on Lily's eyes for himself. But I realized that would not be psychologically possible for Snape. He would have had to come to terms with the fact that she belonged to James and to Harry and even while hating them, be at peace enough with them to see the the eyes of Lily despite their presence. In a way, he may have finally admitted that she was not his in anyway but to look upon. Because imo, he truly thought of Lily as "his Lily" from the moment he traveled to the hill. And a we all know, she was not. Snape's Lily did not exist - but the one who gave Harry his eyes did and that Lily was all tied up in James.

So that is what I meant by Snape coming to terms with two of the forces that had driven him for most of his life when he died.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 7:07 am
Second Year

1. When you read Snape's death scene, how did you react?
- I knew he was going to die eventually but I did not think that he would die in the manner he did. Actually I really didn't see him dying at that point. It was a very moving moment.

2. Could Snape have done more to prevent his own death, at least in this manner or was it inevitable?
Yes and no. Yes in the sense that he must have realized that something was wrong when vodie summoned him to appear all alone. No, because it was going to happen sooner or later and I think everybody knew it too. He was leading a very dangerous life, most dangerous of anybody in the series actually. It was just bound to happen.

3. Do you consider Snape's death fitting with the tragic life he had brought upon himself?
TO be perfectly honest, I would have preffered snape to have lived but at heart I always knew that he was not going to make it. It was the "perfect death" for the "perfect" hero, one who was never appreciated, never recognized and was always misunderstood. The perfect example of a martyr and a tragic hero

4. Was it the sort of death you thought you'd ever see in the Harry Potter novels, bearing in mind it was more brutal and bloody than death at the hands of the Killing Curse?
It was a bad way to die, no doubt about that but it also was needed to reinforce the point beyond all doubt that voldie was an a-hole(excuse me :-) and that he didn't care for his followers. Indeed voldie is the consummate bad guy.

5. Up until his death what had your thoughts been on whether Snape would live or die and what were your reasons for believing what you did?
Like I said already I didn't except him to live, especially cause I was one of the few people that believed that snape was good all along and that he had acted on dumbeldore's orders all along. Also, he was one remaining link to harry's past that also needed to be erased to build up the following chapters(with harry's sacrifice)

6. When Snape saw Harry do you believe he activated the memories to come out of him or do you believe they would have come out anyway regardless of whether anyone showed up?

The first time I read it I thought it was an instantaneous thing but now thinking about it, he probably had a backup plan. Maybe a patronous or something???

]7. Do you believe Snape would have planned his death and made preparations to disclose the information Harry needed had Harry not been there at that time? What other ways could he have disclosed remnants of his past without alerting Voldemort?

I think Snape knew that there was a chance that he could die but judging his reactions when voldie was telling him about the wand I dont think he expected it at that moment.

8. After you read the next chapter 'The Prince's Tale', did your feelings change at all regarding his death and the character?

I always knew that snape was a good guy but I felt truly sorry for him at that point. I dont think I have ever felt worse for a character( A fictional one mind you) in my life before.

9. Do you believe Snape's death was the right way for Jo to bring closure to his self-induced tortured life?

Yeah he died the ultimate tragic hero's death..quiet and no one watching(other than harry and the gang). She hit the nail in the head with the "look at me and the subsequent meaning of those words in the next chapter". That almost brought me to tears. Poor snape. RIP

Old December 23rd, 2007, 4:12 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Morgoth's discussion questions: 1. When you read Snape's death scene, how did you react?

Snape was one of the characters I fully expected to die before reading DH. I was by that point sure he would prove to have been loyal to the 'good side' (the doe could be no one else's Patronus that I could think of), so I was saddened by his death, but not hugely so.

2. Could Snape have done more to prevent his own death, at least in this manner or was it inevitable?

He could have attempted to move Voldemort's interest on to Draco. But it was not his style, and his choice not to was the best he could do under the circumstances for his cause anyway. By avoiding this line of defense, Snape kept Voldemort still in the dark regarding the issue of ownership of the Elder Wand.

3. Do you consider Snape's death fitting with the tragic life he had brought upon himself?

I consider his tragic death fitting with his tragic life, but I do not accept the apparent premise that Snape brought his tragic life on himself. He made some bad choices that contributed to his tragedy, but also good ones that did not work out for him. And he was born into a lousy set of circumstances.

4. Was it the sort of death you thought you'd ever see in the Harry Potter novels, bearing in mind it was more brutal and bloody than death at the hands of the Killing Curse?

Since the story in previous books already mentioned people being tortured into insanity, showeed the torture of others, and showed Harry nearly eviscerating a schoolmate, I did not find this death to be bloodier or nastier than expected for the series.

5. Up until his death what had your thoughts been on whether Snape would live or die and what were your reasons for believing what you did?

I was convinced Snape's story was going to be one of unacknowledged, secret heroism as a spy, and I felt that a tragic death would end that story appropriately.

6. When Snape saw Harry do you believe he activated the memories to come out of him or do you believe they would have come out anyway regardless of whether anyone showed up?

I took it to be a conscious and impressive act of magic on Snape's part. Memories do not ooze out of the heads of other wizards as they die, that we have heard of.

7. Do you believe Snape would have planned his death and made preparations to disclose the information Harry needed had Harry not been there at that time? What other ways could he have disclosed remnants of his past without alerting Voldemort?

I don't believe that Snape would have planned his death. When it came, it was unavoidable (be means he would consider acceptable), but his responsibility at the time was to try and stay alive as long as possible, for the protetion of the students under his care, and waiting for the moment he had been told was the right one to tell Harry about the soul bit. Snape's death came moments after Snape realized it was time to tall Harry, as things played out.

I believe Snape already had a plan for communicating the facts to Harry. He could have used the Doe Patronus, which Harry now knew as an ally, to lead him to them.

8. After you read the next chapter 'The Prince's Tale', did your feelings change at all regarding his death and the character?

To the extent that the death caused a little lump in my throat, and the scene with Dumbledore and the silver doe caused a violent sobbing fit that interrupted my reading of the book for several minutes, yes. I found his life to be by far the sadder story. One specific point - the death became more tragic in my eyes, because Snape believed he was sending Harry to his death, and it is my opinion that he wanted, more than anything, for Harry to live.

9. Do you believe Snape's death was the right way for Jo to bring closure to his self-induced tortured life?

It was a right way. Perhaps the best. To me, the story of Snape's life from the moment he 'returned', and most especially, from the moment he agreed to kill Dumbledore at the start of HBP, is the single most impressive demonstration of self-sacrifice in a series that is littered with it.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 5:50 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Right, but my point was there were two forces at play. JKR said Snape loathed Harry when he died. We know that was because he loathed James. So my point was that this other great force 'loathing' James, which had been so relevant to much of his existence, had to be dealt with before Snape could have what he wanted - a last look in Lily's eyes. It was quick, the quickness only known to the dying, but Snape had to come to some type of peace with James, still loathing him (thus Harry), but recogition that there was no getting by that particular force if he was to be able to look in Harry's face and see those eyes as Lily's for the first time in his life. So he had to have come to some peace with his loathing, if you will, and only then could he see the eyes in James!Harry's face, as Lily's. It is complicated - but when isn't Snape complicated? .

I have always looked at it as Snape forcefully ignoring the James!Harry entity altogether and focusing on Lily's eyes for himself. But I realized that would not be psychologically possible for Snape. He would have had to come to terms with the fact that she belonged to James and to Harry and even while hating them, be at peace enough with them to see the the eyes of Lily despite their presence. In a way, he may have finally admitted that she was not his in anyway but to look upon. Because imo, he truly thought of Lily as "his Lily" from the moment he traveled to the hill. And a we all know, she was not. Snape's Lily did not exist - but the one who gave Harry his eyes did and that Lily was all tied up in James.
WWB, that is a brilliant post.

I have been trying to reconcile in my head the Rowling quote about how Snape died loathing Harry to the last with what she actually wrote on the page. The fact that he begged Harry to take his memories, the fact that with his dying breath he asked Harry to look at him ... this does not compute with her spoken statement, IMO, that he was still hating Harry even as he died. For one thing, Snape is literally bleeding to death ... how does he have the energy to actively hate somebody as he is dying? He is concentrating mainly on activating those memories for Harry, which would take a lot of energy, and then he wants one last crumb of comfort before he goes. Hating Harry in these last seconds doesn't make sense to me -- surely Snape is, at this point, beyond that. And yes, he is a complicated dude, , but it still doesn't make sense.

But your post did make a lot of sense of Snape's complicated psychology and how he was able to reconcile his bitter, tormented feelings re: Lily/James/Harry in literally his last seconds on this earth. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post

It was a right way. Perhaps the best. To me, the story of Snape's life from the moment he 'returned', and most especially, from the moment he agreed to kill Dumbledore at the start of HBP, is the single most impressive demonstration of self-sacrifice in a series that is littered with it.
I could not agree more.

Old January 9th, 2008, 8:29 pm
Second Year

Hah! JKR congratulated Snape on his birthday. If I remember correctly, she's never congratulated the dead. Does it mean anything? We may get to know this on the 10th of March on another deceased's, Lupin's birthday. If JKR doesn't wish him happy birthday, it will be a reason to think of it.

By the way: Happy 48th anniversary, professor

Old January 9th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty View Post
Hah! JKR congratulated Snape on his birthday. If I remember correctly, she's never congratulated the dead. Does it mean anything? We may get to know this on the 10th of March on another deceased's, Lupin's birthday. If JKR doesn't wish him happy birthday, it will be a reason to think of it.

By the way: Happy 48th anniversary, professor

Haha...yes, no funeral, no portrait...and now a birthday greeting!

(Hey, we can hope... )

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Old April 9th, 2008, 5:23 am

It's been a while...

Ever since HBP, I was pretty convinced Snape would die in DH, though I could not articulate exactly what it is that made me so sure. kittling, on the Snape LS thread, posted a quote that sums it up for me in one sentence:

Quote:
Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion. - D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Old April 9th, 2008, 1:08 pm
First Year

I was at the moment satisfied. I mean that was before I found out what he was really like in the next chapter. He's death to me at the time wasn't even something that I felt even the least bit sorry for. I just thought he deserved it really.

Yes I think he could have done more to prevent his own death. I'm just not sure why he didn't.

Well once again yes. We are always going to pay for the bad decisions we make. He made a lot of bad decisions and in the need he paid for them. Sure it was sad to think that he did try to make up for it.

Well after the third book Harry Potter (the book) did indeed become a bit darker. It sort of became crueler. Voldemort became more vicious sure I didn't expect him to go that far but it was expected that things like it would happen. Hope I'm making sense.

Well, I wasn't quite sure I mean Hedwig had already died, so had dobby and mad-eye etc. it was hard to predict who would go next.

I think he activated them since I'm pretty sure not all his memories came out. Notice how all the memories that came out were related to one topic whereas I'm sure he's whole life didn't revolve around Harry.

7. Do you believe Snape would have planned his death and made preparations to disclose the information Harry needed had Harry not been there at that time? What other ways could he have disclosed remnants of his past without alerting Voldemort?
Yes I believe so. We read how he was surely surprised at what Voldemort did. He expected to have a while so he can then sit Harry down and explain or show him what he had to do.

Yes it changed incredibly when I read that chapter. That was when I really felt sad that he had to die. Turned out he was a good man after all. Which really surprised me so yea my feelings towards snape did indeed change after I read 'The Prince's Tale'.

Yes. I do believe that. I really can't think of a better way to have done that. May Snape rest in peace.

Old April 9th, 2008, 11:44 pm
Banned

I was very shocked. I didn't think Snape would die.

Well in this matter no he wouldn't have been able to prevent it.

How could you say that any death for an innocent person is fitting?

I never thought an attack from Nagini would have been discribed as horrid as that.

I thought he would live. Because I thought that Voldemort trusted him and wouldn't kill him over anything.

I think that when Snape saw Harry he did activate the memories to come out of him.

Yes possibly. I believe that Snape did like Harry, but just never showed it. He could have snuck off and told Harry about his past in a letter or something and could have hidden it somewhere where Harry would have found it.

Yes they did compleatly. I didn't like Snape very much before Dumbeldore's death, but when Snape killed Dumbeldore I loathed him compleatly. After I read that chapter though I started to like his charector and it compleatly changed how I felt about Snape.

It was difficult answering this question, but I say yes.

Old April 11th, 2008, 7:27 am
First Year

Surprised in that it wasn't the death I had envisioned for him - too passive. I had expected him to turn against Voldemort at a critical moment, knowing that he couldn't be the one to finish him but distracting him or buying Harry some time by sacrificing his own life.

I think he was unwilling to enlighten Voldemort about his mistake about needing to kill Snape in order to master the Elder Wand, partly because he didn't want to doom Draco and partly because it gave Harry more of a fighting chance if Voldemort was overconfident. And helping Dumbledore move Harry into the checkmate position was all he was really living for anymore.

I found the manner of his death ironic, because Snape was such a control freak and he was playing such a precise, calculating game of brinksmanship. There was an element of pathos in seeing things not go the way he had planned his own last moments - to witness his practiced sangfroid give way to mounting panic as he realized that he was not going to get his chance to convey the critical bits of information to Harry that he had so carefully saved for the endgame. It was not his own death that he feared so much as dying at the wrong moment, all his sacrifices gone for naught.

I didn't really react to the gore, maybe because I have no particular horror of snakes. For my money the image of Nagini inhabiting the rotting body of Bathilda was far more gruesome - it reminded me of the H. P. Lovecraft story The Thing on the Doorstep. I was also way more grossed out by the suggestions of Greyback eating children, even though we thankfully never see it happen "onscreen."

Of course he couldn't survive the series; he was too bitter. What could JKR have done with him if she had let him live? What could he have done with himself? Just become a grumpy old curmudgeon? Turn nice like Ebenezer Scrooge the morning after? Nah - he was a classic flawed, tragic hero who had to perish for the story to reach a satisfying conclusion. I thought that was obvious for a long time.

It never would have occurred to me that it happened accidentally. I imagine that only a great legilimens/occlumens with powerful mental control could have extruded so many memories, so carefully selected, in the few moments he had left to live. And it must have been an incredible relief to Snape to have Harry miraculously appear just as he thought that his mission had ultimately failed, in that he had been unable to convey the critical final messages about what Harry needed to do in order to finish Voldemort.

As I have said, I believe that he was saving the crucial details until the very last moments - once Snape knew he was doomed anyway and could no longer sustain his double agent role. He was a very proud man; think of his scornful remarks about people who wear their hearts on their sleeves, and of his making Dumbledore swear never to tell anyone of his love for Lily. I don't think he could have stood to go on living knowing that anyone else knew the whole story, most especially Harry. But he expected to be in enough control of his own end to decide when, where and how to tell him.

No, because I had figured out at least by Book 5 that Snape was motivated by an obsessive love for Lily and guilt over her death. It was the only explanation that made everything fall into place. I would've been grossly disappointed if that chapter hadn't appeared!

See #5. I would take issue with the "self-induced," though. Yes, he made some bad choices, but not all the circumstances were under his deliberate control. And Dumbledore was right: Love is the most powerful form of magic - for better or worse. What I find really satisfying in the denouement of Snape's character arc is how it parallels Dumbledore's: both molded irrevocably by having loved "not wisely, but too well" in their impressionable youth. There's a wonderful symmetry between these two most complicated of JKR's characters. In spite of all his disagreeable, nasty ways, Snape remains my favorite.

- Noam Chomsky, Syntactic Structures
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:48 am
Second Year

I was so shocked! Especially after I relised he was a good guy after all. I may have overeacted but...i started to cry.

Literally he may have been able to stop his death, but JKR had other plans. He died a heroes death.

It could have been more noble but i think he went in a way fit.

Not really. I still looked on Harry Potter as a book for all ages but Snapes Death was very violent.

I thought he had a 50/50. He was a good guy that could have been found out by A) Voldemort and died or B) Harry and the Order and lived OR he was a bad guy and could have been found out by A)Volemort and lived or B) Harry and the Order and died

To pure blood girl,

I totally agree with you. Nagini's attack was described very grafficly and violently. I never saw this coming

Old April 13th, 2008, 12:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensphinx View Post
I was so shocked! Especially after I relised he was a good guy after all. I may have overeacted but...i started to cry.
I started to cry too. I also started to cry when Harry died. When someone dies in a story that I really like and it's a charector that I like then I cry.

Old April 13th, 2008, 12:58 am
Second Year

To pure blood girl,

I totally agree with you. Nagini's attack was described very grafficly and violently. I never saw this coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I started to cry too. I also started to cry when Harry died. When someone dies in a story that I really like and it's a charector that I like then I cry.
I tried to send you an owl but it didn't work. so i'll trnasfer my message onto here.
It was so sad!! I mean i thought he deserved it but he didn't kill anyone....well he did but he was asked too! Everyone thought i overect when i cry about deaths in books. When Lupin and Tonks died along with George and Colin Creevy i was so shocked and sad.
I;m crying again just thinking about it.

May i add you to my buddy list?
Thanks
goldensphinx

Old April 13th, 2008, 1:44 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I was taken by surprise when Snape was killed. I figured he would've died, but not by Voldemort. I figured since I felt he was really good at heart, he might risk his life to try and help Harry fight the horcruxes or Voldemort himself. I was upset, and a few tears escape my eyes. I don't think he really deserved to die, he helped Harry live even though he was somewhat cruel.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:33 pm
Third Year

I cried because I believed Snape was good from Dumbledores death (although not for the right reasons). I was also really disturbed - I think it was a horrific death, much more so than the other deaths - he was essentially drained of all his bodily fluids - not a nice way to go.

I'm really not sure about this, I mean the fact that he had the Wand and Voldemort (and the reader) believe at this point that he needs to die for Voldemort to "rightfully" use the Wand.

I suppose the fact that he died "alone" compared to, say, some of the deaths that were taking place at the castle, in front of many battling wizards says something about Snape - he was the outsider in both sides - there probably weren't any Death Eaters mouring his death, and likewise none of the Order cared as they all thought he was a "baddie."

Not at all - I think it was horrific. It made me actually feel quite sick.

I hadn't really thought on it - I was too consumed by the whole good or bad argument. But I thought that he would probably die either by Voldemort or an angry Order member or Harry.

I think it would have come out of him anyway - he's thinking about his death, and how he will be remembered and just wants someone to know the truth as to why he did what he did and behaved like he did and why Dumbledore had so much trust in him. He was probably quite glad that it was Harry because Harry was the one person who needed to know everything - and he probably knew that Harry (because let's face it, Harry generally is a really nice guy and does mostly do the right thing in the end) would let everyone know that Snape wasn't what people believed.

I think Snape probably had plans to let Harry know - Dumbledore would have told him to - just like he told him to help Harry along with the Horcruxes. Snape was undoubtedly a very powerful wizard but I have no idea how else he could have told Harry - I guess his legimens skills could have come into play...

It made me even more upset and, I was quite happy because, without meaning to gloat, I was right about certain aspects of Snape (ie he was good) although I didn't guess that Dumbledore was already dying, so there was relief that my theory wouldn't be ripped to shreds amongst my friends lol, one of whom told me I should get my head checked for thinking there was the slightest possibility that Snape was good.

I think it would have been difficult for there to be closure to the series if Snape wasn't dead - had he lived, it would have been an awkward relationship between him and Harry.

Old April 21st, 2008, 7:29 pm
First Year

*cry cry cry cry cry* i always loved snape throughout the series even
before we all knew of his true loyalties .even though he was extremely horrible to harry , i always believed he had to have reasons for it...and they showed so when he died i dont think ive cried that much at any of the potter deaths

I think he could at the start , he still had possession of his wand and could have used the summoning charm to get an antidote but with harry being there he used his last energy to help him. Also He had always wanted to die
''i wish...i wish i were dead'' he wanted to be with lily and dieing would hopefully forfill that .Snape wanted to die so even if he could help himself he helped lily's son instead

it was indeed a tragic death harry's protector dieing even before harry knew his true motives .snape's childhood was sad and lonely, he had no friends and until he found lily near his adolecsent, no-one to love or love him.
when he used the unforgivable word against lily he broke there ties and ended of their friendship. when snape told the prophecy to voldemort he literally gave his love up to the dark lord.He had to live in regret all his life and looked to protecting harry as a must , he had lost lily and to loose her son he couldnt cope with. The tragic thing about his death was that he,most of his life devoted it to protecting harry and he died before he could tell harry this himself.

It was very brutal,Voldemort would have used the killing curse if he had not believed snape was the master of the elder wand so sort to his snake , bearing part of his soul to kill him instead. I did ,however, believe that a brutal ,bloody killing would take place some time in the book , and this was it

I Have always believed in snape ,and that he had some good in him .
I also thought he would die in the end , but not in this manner. I always thought that harry would end up killing him in some manner or form before knowing the truth.

I REALLY DID NOT WANT SNAPE TO DIE ,HE WAS AN AMAZING CHARACTER AND GOOD ASWELL , R.I.P SEVERUS SNAPE , PROTECTOR OF HARRY , LOVER OF LILY XOXOXO

[[didnt see these questions]]

he made them come out , the gargling noises was snape forcing the memories out of him , not nice at all

I do not believe he planned it exactly , how would he know if harry was there or going to read voldemort's mind ? i think that he would have tried to have given harry the memories when the time was appropriate.I think that it was luck harry had been there at the time . Voldemort wouldnt know, as you know snape is an acomplished occulmency and can even block his thoughts from voldermort [[see chapter 1 DH]] even though voldemort is extremely good at legimency

No , i always thought snape was good at heart even through all of his mistakes as i have said before. snape was my FAVE character

I would have liked it to be less brutal but it is fully up to jo and if she thought this would bring snape closure , i absolutely agree.
Snape had wanted to die when lily did , but i think that at the time he died he died as a sort of hero where-as if he had died all those years ago he would have died a traitor, so yes i think it definately brought snape closure !

LOVE SNAPE ! ALAN RICKMAN PLAYS HIS PART *AMAZINGLY*

Old April 21st, 2008, 8:12 pm
Sixth Year

I saw it coming. Even so, I was repulsed by Voldemort's callous indifference. Well written by JKR, as it cast yet another light on this many-faceted hero, Severus Snape.

No. Every way to save himself would have killed someone else, and whatever else we may say about Severus Snape, he never desired the death of any innocent person.

Yes. In a way, I saw the last years as a sort of prolonged suicide by Severus. Lily was dead and he had no hope of anything but her memory. his death would keep that pure, if he could serve her by properly protecting Harry against Voldemort.

I expected it, actually. Remember what Voldemort put Wormtail through, in gaining his body? Quite a sadist, Vodlemort. So once he had decided to kill Severus, I was quite should it would be in a cruel and sadistic manner.

I knew Snape would die, his demeanor and mood was always, well, funereal. He was obviously a man who had suffered a great loss from which he never recovered, from which only Death would free him.

Snape was a man of honor, it was very important to him for Harry to know the truth.

I don't think Severus planned that part, nor could he really - imagine the conversation if he had, say, bottled up the memories and someone like Bellatrix came across them?

No, the chapter merely proved what I knew all along. It was good to see Snape vindicated at last!

Sadly, yes. It was Severus' choice from the moment he learned Lily was dead. His course of service and action gave meaning to his end, in all respects.

And drill sergeants do not hug.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone