Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Severus Snape's Death v2.

Old February 17th, 2009, 4:29 am
First Year

Re: Severus Snape's Death v2.

Instead of answering the questions..I just thought I'd write my thoughts down

I was incredibly surprised that Snape died. I had mixed emotions about his death. Part of me couldn't care less, especially before I read about his memories with Lily. I had always hated Snape throughout the entire series, until I was immersed into his past. My views changed after going into the pensieve.

I actually felt sympathetic towards Snape after reading about his memories with Lily. He was obviously deeply in love with her. I can understand why he didn't like James, because he was so mean to him at Hogwarts and because Lily ended up with him. I was pretty emotional after he said "Always." His love for her was really strong after all of those years.

Unfortunately, I don't think that his love for her was an excuse to be horribly nasty to Harry. I think that he should have done what he knew would make Lily happy. I think that he was so mean to Harry not only because he thought he was exactly like his father, but also because Lily died to save him. I think that he wished Harry would have died and Lily was spared. I believe Voldemort was actually going to spare her, because he does tell her to get out of the way so he can kill Harry. It was obviously a huge grudge that Snape held against him (Harry) all of those years.

Overall, I was sad to see Snape die. I would have liked to have him live and actually change his ways towards Harry. He will never be one of my favorite characters because I love Harry too much, but I think that he is a very complex and deep person who brought a lot to the Harry Potter world.

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2009, 8:37 am
Fourth Year

[b]1. When you read Snape's death scene, how did you react? I was completely shocked. I knew or sensed he wouldn't make it to the end of the series. Voldemort was the Wizarding World's version of a Mob Boss. He saw his Death Eaters as dispensible chips in a game of chess. Once a Death Eater served his purpose, he was killed. This is what happened with Snape. He had done what he was pogrammed, told and trained to do. As long as he was still breathing, he could rat Voldemort out. Voldemort knew, if Snape lived and was given the chance, he might turn against him and start spilling all his secrets. This in turn, would make Voldemort's faults stick out like a sore thumb.
Ok, I know Voldemort killed many people, terrorized many. However, he was so confident, he was arrogant. His arrogance tripped him up and caused him to make many mistakes. Snape however, even if it was through the advise of Dumbledore, saw around the corners. Snape listened to Dumbledore and even if he did say "I know" as we saw in "The Prince's Tale", he still respected Dumbledore enough he listened to his advise. Even if he thought Dumbledore was feeding him a line of bull, he still listened to his advise and acted upon it.
Tom Riddle and Voldemort however, thought he knew better than anyone else. He didn't need the advise of Dumbledore, Slughorn or any other Adult, and if he disagreed with them, they were lucky to have survived. Tom Riddle thought he was smarter than everyone else, paraded this around for people to see and wound up making some huge mistakes. Ok, so he made some Horcruxes, never thinking they would wind up leading to his own death.
In "The Elder Wand" it was clear Severus Snape had served his purpose. His final "service" to Voldemort was his life/death. The main reason why I was shocked, I somehow though Snape would find his way out of the situation, that someone would have come to his rescue. That his lecture in the first Potions class would have saved him.
My reaction was kind of like watching your favourite television Character dying. The only thing I can compare it to was Dr. Greene's death on ER. Here was this man who we had seen save many lives, lending a hand of support to his Colleagues and Patients suddenly being so weak he had to think and physically struggle to say a simple sentence. I know the two Characters are incomparable but their impact on their respective series was felt for many years. Heck, even 19 years later, Harry tells his Son that he was named after "the Bravest Man" he knew. In ER, Dr. Carter repeated the "There are two types of Doctors..." to one of his Med Students. He remembered the advise word for word and found the advise so powerful he repeated it.

2. Could Snape have done more to prevent his own death, at least in this manner or was it inevitable? It was inevitable. Though I would have loved to have seen him go down while putting up a darn good fight. I so wanted him to pull out his wand and have a duel to the death with Voldemort. Or at least hit him with his sectumsempra spell. Something. But then, another part of me says, he gave so much more this way. If he had died while dueling Voldemort, he would have exposed Harry. As much as Harry hated Snape at that point and wanted to see him die, it would have been in his nature to step forward and try to help in some manner, thus possibly making him weaker for the final fight. The memories Snape gave him made Harry more determined to rid the world of this Deamon!! Even if he died a horrible death, if it mean executing Voldemort in the process, so be it. At least he'd be at peace knowing the ones he loved would eventually be able to live.

3. Do you consider Snape's death fitting with the tragic life he had brought upon himself? I really don't know, will have to think about that.

4. Was it the sort of death you thought you'd ever see in the Harry Potter novels, bearing in mind it was more brutal and bloody than death at the hands of the Killing Curse? Heck no!! I honestly thought he'd live to the final battle and come between Harry and Voldemort. I never expected it to be a Criminal Minds-like murder where you're watching him die in a pool of blood. I was honestly expecting and still expected someone to have a done something to try to save him.

5. Up until his death what had your thoughts been on whether Snape would live or die and what were your reasons for believing what you did?
I foresaw Snape's death. Mainly because his time was up. Think of it this way. He "murdered" Albus Dumbledore, the most beloved Wizard in "Cold Blood". As long as he lived, there would be a shadow of doubt hanging over him. Even if he had been exhonorated/freed by Harry's Testimony and Dumbledore's Pensieve, there would still be people raising those "What if" questions. People would still look at him in fear, never let their Children near them. He wouldn't be able to teach at Hogwarts because things would never be the same. I also don't think that he would have been able to live freely. He would either regard it as the State/Ministry as handing it to him "because" or "out of sympathy". Plus, would you honestly be able to live freely if you always sensed people looking at you like you were some Circus Freak with a communicable disease?
Plus, I don't think Severus Snape would allow himself the luxury of living. He was guilt ridden by Lily's Death. Now that Harry had killed Voldemort and survived, what purpose does Snape have now. He again, had served his own personal service. In short, he would always have that veil hanging over his head. [/color]
Just before he died, I finally saw love and acceptance and forgiveness and peace in his eyes. The hatred left and this peace came over him. He saw Lily.

Snape's Legacy

Chapter 32 - The Elder Wand - Page 528 UK (Adult) Hardback edition:
He did not know why he was doing it, why he was approaching the dying man: he did not know what he felt as he saw Snape's white face, and the fingers trying to staunch the bloody wound at his neck. Harry took off the Invisibility Cloak and looked down upon the man he hated, whose widening black eyes found Harry as he tried to speak. Harry bent over him; and Snape seized the front of his robes and pulled him close.
A terrible rasping, gurgling noise issue from Snape's throat.
'Take ... it ... Take ... it ...'
Something more than blood was leaking from Snape. Silvery blue, neither gas nor liquid, it gushed from his mouth and his ears and his eyes, and Harry knew what it was, but did not know what to do -
A flask, conjured from thin air, was thrust into his shaking hands by Hermione. Harry lifted the silvery substance into it with his wand. When the flask was full to the brim, and Snape looked as though there was no blood left in him, his grip on Harry's robes slackened.
'Look ... at ... me ...' he whispered.
The green eyes found the black, but after a second something in the depths of the dark pair seemed to vanish, leaving them fixed, blank and empty. The hand holding Harry thudded to the floor, and Snape moved no more.

6. When Snape saw Harry do you believe he activated the memories to come out of him or do you believe they would have come out anyway regardless of whether anyone showed up? Oh wow! Great question. I never thought of it this way. I'm kind of thinking as I'm typing this. The thought that they could possibly have leaked out of him for anybody, including Bellatrix to scoop up, witness and mock, makes me ill. So for that part, for the fact that he fears humiliation, I think he probably was still cognitive enough to make them appear for Harry's eyes only. Snape knew Harry would treasure them, not mock or humiliate them. Snape knew his memories of Lily would be safe with Harry and those he chose to share them with. Not the fact that "Severus Snape loved Lily Evans", but the adoration he held for Lily for 30 some years.

7. Do you believe Snape would have planned his death and made preparations to disclose the information Harry needed had Harry not been there at that time? [color="#ff00ff"] Yes, I do. Snape is a man of detail. He likes having things in order, done in sequence. As cruel as he was, I do think he had kept more information for Harry about his plans with Dumbledore, his love for Lily, etc.

7. What other ways could he have disclosed remnants of his past without alerting Voldemort?
I think his "Half-Blood Prince" Potion book had Lily's writing in it. Ok, sounds silly, but some of the writing was described as "feminine" in scroll. This may sound completely way off mark, but I think they/Lily might have written cute little notes for him. There were probably more memories of the two of them growing up at home and at school as well as his interactions with Dumbledore. Again, as much as he distrusted and dispised Harry, I think deep down, Snape knew Harry was like Lily and any secret was safe with him.

8. After you read the next chapter 'The Prince's Tale', did your feelings change at all regarding his death and the character? I remember weeping and saying "I knew it. I knew he was good." That Chapter made me cry so hard. It just fortified my respect for him and showed me that we shouldn't judge people for who they are. It pi##$d me off he died so horribly and I wanted Voldemort to die this slow and painful death.

9. Do you believe Snape's death was the right way for Jo to bring closure to his self-induced tortured life? In a way, yes. Because as I staed earlier, I don't think he would have ever been able to live, I mean truly live if he had survived. He would have continued to torture himself until the end. At least with Dumbledore around, there was someone who cared enough to listen to him and try to put his mind at ease.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!

Last edited by Leslie33; December 11th, 2010 at 4:47 am.
Old February 21st, 2009, 6:54 pm
First Year

I wish She waited to kill him off and Harry knew the truth about him. I think they would become some what good friends but Snape will still have jealous turns him!

Old February 21st, 2009, 7:07 pm
Banned

Snape's death definitely took me by surprise. Not the fact that he died, I think it was made clear that he wouldn't make it alive. More of the way that he was killed. That scene was more gruesome that almost all of the other death scenes in the series. I thought it was good though, and met the dark tone of the book.

As for how I felt- well, I had mixed feelings as I was reading that part. I always suspected that Snape was working for Dumbledore, but I still never liked him much. He was just a nasty person, and I don't even think his work for Dumbledore made up for how mean and nasty he was most of the time. But still, he was a "good guy," so when he died I felt a little disappointed. I felt shocked more than anything at the way he was killed. The Harry Potter series certainly came a long way from book one, when we didn't even see Quirrell being killed, and were only told about it afterward.

Unlike everyone else, it seems, I was actually glad that Snape and Harry never had a scene together after Harry learned the truth about him. I think it would have been too cheesy, no matter how it was written. I think the conclusion about Snape that Harry came to at the end was good enough, and a face to face meeting would have been superfluous and pretty much served no purpose. Snape's role was done.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:26 am
Second Year

Questions:

1. When you read Snape's death scene, how did you react?
actually , when i first read Snape's death scene i ddnt knw what to think . i was in complete shock . lk i actually felt bad for him in a way m cos i ddnt want Snape to go . i knw he was practically evil to Harry but i still enjoyed his character ... && then once i read the REAL REASONS behind all of the things he's done . i basically cried . cos Snape had been doing all of this out of love for Lily && Dumbledore . even after Lily married James && forgot abt Snape , Snap still dedicated his life to protected Harry ... && even finding out that he CARED about Harry . just wow ... i must say that my favorite chapter in the entire book is The Prince's Tale . so sad ... Snape's actually one of my favorite characters now ...

2. Could Snape have done more to prevent his own death, at least in this manner or was it inevitable?
in this case ... i think it was pretty much inevitable ...
you cant really negotiate or bargain with Voldemort ... -__-

3. Do you consider Snape's death fitting with the tragic life he had brought upon himself?
no , i wish he would've died more peacefully ...
i mean being murdered by a a frickn ginormous , venomous snake thats pulsing with dark magic isnt exactly an ideal way to die ...

4. Was it the sort of death you thought you'd ever see in the Harry Potter novels, bearing in mind it was more brutal and bloody than death at the hands of the Killing Curse?
oooohhhh yeah . it definitely fit . i mean , we're talking about Voldemort here . he's not one to "kill pretty" if you get what i mean . so have Nagini kill Snape didn't seem too out of the ordinary for a Harry Potter book .

5. Up until his death what had your thoughts been on whether Snape would live or die and what were your reasons for believing what you did?
i don't quite get the question ...

-only those who have felt the knife can understand the wound, only the jeweler knows the nature of the jewel.

-i'm not afraid of death itself...it's the dying part that gets me

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 1:25 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
Version 1

Questions:

I was kinda shocked, I didn't expect him to die like this, and I thought he will be given a chanse to be forgiven while alive... or at least to be aknowledged by others the full extent of his service for the good cause.

2. Could Snape have done more to prevent his own death, at least in this manner or was it inevitable?

I don't think he could've done too much, since Voldemort decided to do him in. Maybe he could have, but he had a lot to do, and his position was precarious anyways. I always thought he knew he must die, he was somewhat ready for that (if you make mortal enemies on both sides of the barrier you are likely to end up dead).

3. Do you consider Snape's death fitting with the tragic life he had brought upon himself?

Fitting, in a very melodramatic way, maybe, but not in the meaning of what he deserved. The tragic life he had was only halfway his doing, though I admit that the greater half.

4. Was it the sort of death you thought you'd ever see in the Harry Potter novels, bearing in mind it was more brutal and bloody than death at the hands of the Killing Curse?

Yes, I just didn't expect it to happen to Snape... maybe to Wormtail, or Bella.

I somewhat answered this one before, I guess... or not...
I always thought that Snape will eventually have to die. I'd liked to see him survive though, but I knew chanses for it were slim. Well, his reason to live was to revenge Lily's death (almost as much as to revenge his own mistakes on himself) so it made sense that if this revenge shall require him to give his life he will only feel it too fair to do so. I was hoping for a last heroic act witnessed by many, but it did not come to pass...

Snape's Legacy

Chapter 32 - The Elder Wand - Page 528 UK (Adult) Hardback edition:
He did not know why he was doing it, why he was approaching the dying man: he did not know what he felt as he saw Snape's white face, and the fingers trying to staunch the bloody wound at his neck. Harry took off the Invisibility Cloak and looked down upon the man he hated, whose widening black eyes found Harry as he tried to speak. Harry bent over him; and Snape seized the front of his robes and pulled him close.
A terrible rasping, gurgling noise issue from Snape's throat.
'Take ... it ... Take ... it ...'
Something more than blood was leaking from Snape. Silvery blue, neither gas nor liquid, it gushed from his mouth and his ears and his eyes, and Harry knew what it was, but did not know what to do -
A flask, conjured from thin air, was thrust into his shaking hands by Hermione. Harry lifted the silvery substance into it with his wand. When the flask was full to the brim, and Snape looked as though there was no blood left in him, his grip on Harry's robes slackened.
'Look ... at ... me ...' he whispered.
The green eyes found the black, but after a second something in the depths of the dark pair seemed to vanish, leaving them fixed, blank and empty. The hand holding Harry thudded to the floor, and Snape moved no more.

6. When Snape saw Harry do you believe he activated the memories to come out of him or do you believe they would have come out anyway regardless of whether anyone showed up?

I think they'd come out anyways. He had to leave them, else he'd failed to tell Harry what Dumbledore asked him to. He might have had another method for it though... At that moment he seems very desperate though.

7. Do you believe Snape would have planned his death and made preparations to disclose the information Harry needed had Harry not been there at that time? What other ways could he have disclosed remnants of his past without alerting Voldemort?

I'll have to think about that...

8. After you read the next chapter 'The Prince's Tale', did your feelings change at all regarding his death and the character?

Regarding the character, not, but his death struck me as a bit more terrifying because his tale showed a man who was mistreated and harassed as a child, who was able to love and who has never really been loved back... His big mistake was to be more clever than he was wise.
Anyway, the Prince's Tale was the most touching, and emotionally staggering chapter of DH for me.

9. Do you believe Snape's death was the right way for Jo to bring closure to his self-induced tortured life?

I'm in debate with myself over that one. I'm not sure wether my desires are getting the better of my brains, so I'll come back to that as soon as I reached a conclusion...
Sorry I included it in the quotation, I realised it when I was done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0FhlEeh7 View Post
Unlike everyone else, it seems, I was actually glad that Snape and Harry never had a scene together after Harry learned the truth about him. I think it would have been too cheesy, no matter how it was written. I think the conclusion about Snape that Harry came to at the end was good enough, and a face to face meeting would have been superfluous and pretty much served no purpose. Snape's role was done.
Maybe you're right, but I don't think Harry would ever be overjoyed about Snape, or vice-versa. I don't think it would've been cheesy, for they'd never fall into each-other's arm and cry or anything of the sort if you thought about something like that...
I just think Snape would've deserved at least an "I understand" from Harry, for I am reasonable: I don't expect him to be sorry

*In: Snape's Happy Ending, fanfic by CathyWeasley

SNAPE'S MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:29 pm
First Year

There are some really good questions here :]

Snape had always intrigued me from the start. There was something about him, something more mysterious about him than all the other characters. So I couldn’t work out if he was good or bad, but I knew that just because he apparently seemed evil because of the way he treated students and because he was a death eater didn’t necessarily mean that was the real him. So when I read his death, I was completely shocked, much because I thought we would never really discover where his true loyalties lie, and the scene was so horrific.

It was inevitable, which is awful but it’s the truth. What could he have done really? It would have been great for him to fight to the death, but alas no. Also, I hated him saying ‘let me go and find Harry’ etc. I was like ‘stop saying that, man!’

I guess it was a tragic death for a tragic life, but to be honest, he deserved so much better. I’m having horrible visions of what this will be like in the film version. Because if any of you have seen Sweeney Todd, you’ll have seen Alan Rickman being drained of blood from the neck as Judge Turpin, as the same actor will be playing Snape, the murder is easily made so much more real for me.

No. To be honest I though Voldemort would have killed Snape himself and therefore probably would have used the Killing Curse. You can see it as you read along, it was just horrific and way more brutal than anything you’d really read in Harry Potter. But after finding out that Snape was a true hero, maybe this epic death was fitting and had to be done.

After Snape killed Dumbledore I wondered where his place was in the whole story. It seemed like, from my point of view, it would be right for him to die because initially I thought ‘How could he kill Dumbledore and get away with it?’. But really, I had not thought about weather he should live or die. And like Lupin, Hedwig, Dobby, Fred and many others, it was completely unexpected. Especially at the hands of Voldemort.

6. When Snape saw Harry do you believe he activated the memories to come out of him or do you believe they would have come out anyway regardless of whether anyone showed up?
I think he activated them. If they came out anyway there would be an awful lot of silvery vapor floating about the castle as a lot of people died. That’s the way I see it. Memories are supposed to be private to my mind so I don’t think they would be let out for just anyone to see. Harry needed that information and I think we as readers needed them too, and as the memories turned out to be so important, they couldn’t have just been left as they were the key to Harry’s success.

7. Do you believe Snape would have planned his death and made preparations to disclose the information Harry needed had Harry not been there at that time? What other ways could he have disclosed remnants of his past without alerting Voldemort?
I think he would have made preparations, as I said before they were so important. But I don’t know what other ways he could have disclosed them. Really though, it was totally by chance that Harry was there, so what would he have done if Harry hadn’t been there.

8. After you read the next chapter 'The Prince's Tale', did your feelings change at all regarding his death and the character?
Oh god yes! It confirmed my suspicions that he was good really. The fact that he loved Lily for all those years and was the reason why he protected Harry. The passion and love was so overwhelming like nothing I’d ever seen before. It was so emotional and made me come to realize that he was so brave and everyone gave him a hard time, though childhood and bullying to adulthood where people hated him and thought him evil. It also made me very annoyed to find this out after he had died, leaving no time for this to sink in for myself and for the characters. The only recognition I can remember (forgive me if I’m wrong) was that Harry named his son Albus Severus and called him one of the bravest men he’d even known. This obviously shows that Harry had forgiven Snape, but my god it breaks my heart. I can’t explain it, but it really hurt me to learn about his past. I guess it reflects in his death. His life and death, both tragic and unfair.

9. Do you believe Snape's death was the right way for Jo to bring closure to his self-induced tortured life?
I didn’t want him to die. It’s true that the way he was living his life was no way to live, but I truly believe that his life would have been better had people have known of his heroic deeds. But I guess that if he had to die, that was the right way to do it.

Old April 13th, 2009, 7:03 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinners_End7 View Post
There are some really good questions here :]
Some nice answers, too. I enjoyed reading your post.

Quote:
I think he would have made preparations, as I said before they were so important. But I don’t know what other ways he could have disclosed them. Really though, it was totally by chance that Harry was there, so what would he have done if Harry hadn’t been there.
I think Snape may not have had any arrangements in place yet, because he did not know it was time to tell Harry. He was supposed to wait until Voldemort started to protect Nagini, and that only happened the very day Voldemort murdered Snape. He might have had some sort of generic "If I am killed Owl this to Harry" sort of thing (magic or otehrwise) set up, or not, we'd never know because the book ended mere hours after he died.

Quote:
The only recognition I can remember (forgive me if I’m wrong) was that Harry named his son Albus Severus and called him one of the bravest men he’d even known.
This is the only posthumous recognition mentioned in the book, yes. I don't consider that indicative of what happened in the book world, though. No other characters were recognized either, except the others whose names Harry and Ginny chose. The action cut from the end of the battle to the Epilogue. So I think there was probably more recognition for various characters, Snape included.

Quote:
I can’t explain it, but it really hurt me to learn about his past.
I would not have thought to express it in those terms, but yes. Me too.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 13th, 2009, 6:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
This is the only posthumous recognition mentioned in the book, yes. I don't consider that indicative of what happened in the book world, though. No other characters were recognized either, except the others whose names Harry and Ginny chose. The action cut from the end of the battle to the Epilogue. So I think there was probably more recognition for various characters, Snape included.
I read the part just before Harry kills Voldemort, and he talks ot him about how Snape was on Dumbledore's side al along. Its nice to here him declare this infront of so many people, I'd completely forgot he'd said this. I know that JK had once said that Harry would have made sure there was a portrait of Snape hung in Hogwarts, and he would have cleared Snapes name. I just cant help thinking Snape deserved a scene where people recognised what he had done, because ultimatly he was one of, of not the most important character in the end.

Old April 14th, 2009, 3:09 pm
Splendide Mendax

It should be safe to attempt this now...

I put the Kübler-Ross model to practice. Did it work? Obviously.

Yes, I do believe he could have done more. Whether he actually would have is another question... and not one to be discussed on this board.

NO

Being already an adult when I read the HP novels, I didn't really stop to compare it with the 'brutality and bloodiness' of other deaths. Death is death, always brutal in its finality... But in retrospect, I understand why Jo wanted Snarks to go with a bigger bang than most.

I don't want another 'Obliviate' in my owlery.

Every instance of memory retrieval we get in the books has the person involved actively participating in the action; I don't see why this would be different. The 'Take it' line seems to support my view.

I think Jo wanted Voldemort one step ahead of Snape in this, so I'm actually not sure. Snarks seemed rather... bent on reaching Harry mere seconds before he died.

Other ways... He seemed to think his memories were quite safe where they were during the Occlumency lessons; there's also that small matter of Godric's sword... Hogwarts?

If anything, I was even more annoyed with the way Jo chose to build Snarks' character. TPT was.... humiliating. And Snarks was already dead.

Yup. Some stories simply don't come with a happy ending.

Old April 15th, 2009, 10:08 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggerstone View Post

I don't want another 'Obliviate' in my owlery.
Elaborate please. I enjoyed your answers a lot, I'd be most ... curious to find this one out. I promise I won't send you a cursed hat

*In: Snape's Happy Ending, fanfic by CathyWeasley

SNAPE'S MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:51 pm
First Year

At first I was like: Yes! Snape is dead! But then, when Harry came in the room
and Snape said: Look...at...me, and it was all dramatic, It was much more sad then I was expecting his death to be.

I don't think he could have, I mean, it wasn't magic that killed him it was Nagini. And it also said: "And, before Snape could do anything more than yell, the snake had encased him." very tragic...

hmm... Well, Yes, I did find it 'fitting'. And, he died a very heroic life; being Dumbledore's spy and trying (in a funny sorta way) to keep Harry alive.

I thought it was sad how he died with no friends and everyone sorta hating him.

Charity Burbage was devoured by Nagini in the opening chapter, which was extremely brutal, but I think that Snape's death was more brutal cause it described every detail. And no, I didn't think it was that surprising that his death was so bloody.

Well, My friend sorta told me that a lot of people died in the last 3 books of the series and i guessed Snape so yea, I did think snape would die.

Yes i do think that it was Harry that 'activated' his memories to come out of him.

No, I don't think that Snape had expected his death to come there and then. And I don't think he made preparations.

Yes, 'cause he was on my bad list but then when I read that chapter it all changed.

probably, yes.

Last edited by DArocks; April 16th, 2009 at 3:03 am. Reason: Didn't finish before
Old May 10th, 2009, 8:44 am
Seventh Year

All in all, Snape was a extremely brave man. His death shocked me once I discovered he was on our side the whole time. To me, that makes his death twice as sad.

Old May 14th, 2009, 3:41 am
Fifth Year

Snape had a tough life. He had a father who did not treat him well. He was made fun of in school by many of his peers. He had great success in school , but that was because he didn't have other activities to distract him. He probably would have given almost anything to have had friends who were real friends, and a normal home life. IHe went through his adult life knowing that he was responsible for the death of the woman he loved, and he was hated by many because they believed that he was on the wrong side of the conflict. He had to act like a villein, even thought he really was a good guy.

It would have been nice to see him get the credit and respect he deserved for his role in bringing Voldermort down. Even his death stunk, he was almost killed without any chance to set the record straight.

Can you guess where I am?
Old July 27th, 2009, 8:35 am
First Year

I was already crying my heart out, even more than in the HBP final chapters. Snape had always been one of my favourite characters, and him killing Dumbledore in HBP was a GREAT disapointment for me. I did keep some hope though, but when JKR killed him without telling anything about his 'change of side'.... ah, I didn't want to read anymore. Of course, I did continue .

Yes, I'm sure he could have. He was Lord Voldemort's Potions Master, I'm 100% certain he must have known or could have developed an anti-venom. Some say he didn't have a warning, he didn't see it coming... but I don't believe that. He was in the middle of a war, right?
I simply think it wasn't in his plans to survive the battle, whatever the winning side was.

No. Everyone needs a little redemption. He didn't get any. At least not while he was alive. I think he deserved more. Though, he was still destined to die, but JKR could have made it a little bit more gentle.

We all saw that the books weren't getting really family-friendly towards the end, so that kind of death scene did not surprise me.

I knew he would die. There was no more purpose in his life after the war, with JKR's declaration of being unable to see Snape loving someone. It wasn't completely true, but I suppose loving a corpse isn't really a healthy plan for life.

I think they would have come out. Despite his history in making himself 'look good', Snape was a Slytherin, and all Slytherins like or even need some kind of recognition. And honestly, Severus was the one Slytherin who deserved it.

I don't think he was planning it, but he certainly was expecting it. A way could have been leaving his thoughs in a Pensieve or phials, and under some spell made sure they got to Harry.

Not exactly change, but I was relieved. I was starting to think JKR was going to leave one of my all-times favourite characters in the dark side.

Yes, but not in that way and situation. JKR was too... aggresive.

Old August 10th, 2009, 4:20 am
First Year

I was a little shocked. Snape was not one of the people I expected to die and what's more his death was very sudden. I did have to reread the the part where he gives Harry the memories in order to understand what was happening and I reread the the quote "Look at me" in an attempt to understand it. (I obviously learned the significance of that via the next chapter)

I think what was happening was happening so fast that Snape didn't have time to react. I think many things were rushing through his mind at the moment and by the time he may have thought of something he was already trapped in the shield.

While Snape's death wasn't exactly a romantic heroic death, he did die a hero because he died in the protection of another; he spent his last breathes passing vital information to Harry. So his heroic death was not fitting in his tragic life.

We've seen Nagini attack others before and we've heard of her killing other characters however this is the first time we've actually watched someone be attacked and die from that attack. This was not something I was expecting, whenever I thought of death in Harry Potter it was the Killing Curse that came to mind.

I did not think Snape would die. And I'm not entirely sure why, I think it is mainly because I thought he would be redeemed (from the reader's point of view) before someone would have the chance to kill him in revenge of Dumbledore (I felt if he died it would be at the hands of a member of the Order).

I think he activated them upon seeing Harry. He may have already thought about getting Harry the information via memories in the seconds between the bite and when Harry revealed himself, but it was Harry's presence that caused him to consciously release the memories.

I think Snape had absolutely no idea he was going to die. So I think he had no back up plan.

Yes and no, while I thought Snape was a good character I did not realize the extent of his character. I had never even considered the fact that he was in love with Lily. So my feelings didn't change, the grew stronger.

Yes, Snape's life was extremely painful and he was even suicidal after Lily's death. Now he finally can rest in peace knowing that he fulfilled his promise to Lily and did all he could to redeem himself. His pain could finally end.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 7:12 am
First Year

I first I thought "Why doesn't Voldemort just use his wand?" But then I remembered the Elder Wand stuff. *headdesk* *facepalm* But I was still bit disgusted and shocked. I knew Snape probably wouldn't make it, but sudden realization that he was dying surprised me. And he was bleeding to death with the agony of a snake bite. Just a bit disturbing.

Snape knew nothing about the Elder Wand, so therefore he shouldn't be expecting to die. I think he would be more prepared of being accused of being a traitor to Voldemort, which then he would use cool intellect and talk himself out of it. So, before he realises what happens Nagini is striking. How could he prevent that?

Well, I tried to think of a more fitting end, but to no avail. Snape was going to die, and he got killed by Voldemort in gruesome and memorable way. A tragic end to a tragic life. I don't think Dumbledore wanted Snape to die, but Dumbledore probably thought of the Elder Wand problem and how Voldemort would go after Snape. I think that Dumbledore knew that Snape had a very depressing life, and if he died then it wouldn't be a terrible thing to happen to Snape who needed to move on into eternal peace. Though, I think there was always a chance in Dumbledore's eyes for Snape to survive. So trusting Dumbledore and being Death Eater brought this self-induced fate upon Snape.

After the Bathilda Bagshot scene, I think was ready for anything. That scene freaked me out the most. I definitly wasn't expecting that from a Harry Potter novel. A snake coming out of corpse's neck that Harry thought wasn't a corpse would of probably been worse if it weren't for the Graveyard scene GOF, though. That was the turning point of the entire series, so Snape's death didn't shock me as much. Plus, considering that Voldemort can't use a Killing Curse on Snape because of the Elder Wand things, Voldemort had to be more creative and why not use that giant snake next to him?

I thought Snape was going to die. He was a double agent, he had killed Dumbledore, many people hated him, and he had had a horrible life already. Too many things were stacked up against him.

I believe that they just came out regardless of anyone. Whether or not Snape knew Harry was there, he needed to get the memories out there. It was the end of his life, so he no longer cared who found out about him. I guess he just would of hoped Harry got him. But then again, he was passing into the world beyond, maybe he no longer cared what happened in this one.

I don't think would Snape would have planned his death. I think he was just winging it when giving the information to Harry. Harry could be anywhere in the world, and Snape had to wait untill the moment was just right. It would be hard plan around the circumstances. The problem about giving the memories to someone else, is that no else trusts Snape but the Death Eaters, and even they don't even trust him that well.

"The Prince's Tale" made think that Snape should be remembered. It showed me actually how close he was to Lily. Every single day when he was a teacher he had to look at Harry and see James and be reminded of his horrible childhood. Then he would see Lily's eyes staring at him and be reminded that it was his fault (in his eyes) that she had died. His was life was absolutely horrible and he still endured it to protect what Lily loved, Harry.

Snape had a tortured life, it was probably nice to finally be done with it all. I can't see him as a hero, or everyone's friend. If he had survived, he wouldn't of made amends with anyone. It was Snape's time.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 8:37 am
Third Year

I strongly agree with Dumblydore. I can't add much to what he has said. Except, we hadn't found out about Snape's two-sidedness until the Pensieve of DH.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:55 am
First Year

Man, Severus Snape's death has to be the saddest, IMO. In actuality, Jo did an excellent job writing his character including the way she wrote his death. He was such a poignant character, very anti-hero/tragic hero. His story and the character himself was so complex. I think JKR made a good call in not giving Harry and Snape an encounter after Harry learns the truth about everything. It made his character vastly more tragic and I think that is what she was going for. Sirius had been my favorite character since his introduction but after reading The Prince's Tale that went out the window.

"You don't understand -- there are things worth dying for!"

Pottermore: IceNight
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:22 pm
First Year

I read it again and after that I gave the book hateful look. I really wasn't expecting that, it was just so sudden...

I'm not sure he could have done anything about it. Despite him being a very talented wizard I don't think he could have escaped Voldemort without any help. Maybe if the trio would have tried to help him instead of just watching Nagini violently killing him the end would be different, but of course at the time they didn't have any reason to do so.

The sad thing is that his death really did fit perfectly with the tragic life he had, and that is really unfair IMO.

After Gof and the graveyard scene nothing could surprise me anymore. Pettigrew's hand, anyone?

I really hoped he would live and have a long, peaceful life and everything, but had the overwhelming feeling that his end was near.

I always thought that he himself activated the memories to come out when he saw that Harry has there. I don't think memories can just come out like that when someone dies. Probably wizards have to learn how to extract their memories, I mean we don't really see any young or unexperienced wizards doing that and I guess you need some level of concentration to do it. Giving Harry those crucial memories when he was, obviously, in great pain was, in my opinion, Snape's last effort to help him defeat Voldemort.

I really need to go and get some sleep, so I'm going to skip this one and answer it later

Well I always thought that Snape was on the Good side so it did't change my feeling regarding his death that much (Zoinks !). I did, however, changed my view of the character, as I was previously convinced that Snape and Lily were just very good friends.

Not really