Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Whatever happend to Crookshanks?

Old December 31st, 2009, 6:11 pm
Second Year

Whatever happend to Crookshanks?

both I and my sister thought for sure that Crookshanks was going to have an important role in the last book. He always seemed like he knew something the others didnt. For example, in the POA he knew the black dog for who he really was (innoncent sirius).
Why do you think nothing ever came of him in deathly hallows?

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2009, 7:28 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Whatever happend to Crookshank's role?

I can't believe there's not already a thread about this, unless it was archived for lack of traffic.

Honestly, Crookshanks' role got faded out of the series far too abruptly for my liking. I suppose the books were already getting fatter and fatter with every installment up to OotP, but IMO it could have been a great addition to have a half ginger, half Kneazel character going about digging up secrets and leading the Trio to clues they'd never have found without help.

I can see where Dobby needed to be developed a lot more, especially if JKR planned his death in DH early on. But Crookshanks is sadly underdeveloped after his role in bringing the true identity of the Prisoner of Azkaban and the Werewolf Lupin to light!

I don't recall any mention of him whatsoever in the final book, and honestly I don't remember there being much about him in HBP either. I wonder if Hermione sent him away to Australia along with her Parents?

I bet he'd have helped the Trio find the horcruxes if they'd kept him about.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old December 31st, 2009, 7:37 pm
Seventh Year

I can't remember Crookshanks appearing in the HBP book, but he did have a small role in the sixth movie: shortly after Harry arrives at the Burrow, we see him jump down from the stairs as Ron and Hermione are discussing why Molly almost decided to keep her children away from attending Hogwarts due to the approaching danger. It would have been nice to see more of him in the books, but it also would have been difficult to manage an animal, however intelligent he may be, during their hunt for the Horcruxes, particularly during the Gringotts break-in.

Old December 31st, 2009, 8:16 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I really like Crookshanks in Prisoner of Azkaban. He was really clever and I liked how he had good intuition about Sirius and Wormtail.

I wish he could have carried on in a bigger role throughout, but I can understand why he didn't. I think the search for the Horcruxes was really a Harry/Ron/Hermione thing. I think that had Crookshanks found one, it may have lessened the difficulty involved in finding the Horcruxes.
Yes, he's a clever cat, but I don't know if he is clever enough to overcome the difficult magical obstacles involved in finding and destroying a Horcrux. I sort of think that the search for the Horcruxes was supposed to be a growth experience for Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I don't know that using Crookshanks for help would have allowed the Trio to grow in the ways they needed to.

I do wonder where he was the whole time the Trio was hiding out in the countryside. Maybe at the Burrow?

Nerf Herder
Old January 1st, 2010, 6:43 am
Sixth Year

I wonder if Hermione sent him to stay with her parents via Portkey or something like that. Yeah, like the rest of you, I didn't like that he had a minor role. Perhaps PoA was his shining moment...and the rest of the books he's like an ordinary house cat.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old January 2nd, 2010, 5:29 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

I, too, really enjoyed Crookshanks' role in PoA. He was funny in OotP, chasing the Extendable Ears. I think, possibly, after killing off Hedwig, it might have been dificult to keep Crookshanks along. I do wish there'd been some way she could have written him in. She seemed to start building him up to a bigger role, only to drop him altogether later on. I guess a house elf trumps a kneezle.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 5:54 pm
I want to believe

I honestly didn't see Crookshanks as being meant to have a role beyond hinting that Scabbers (and Padfoot) were not what they appeared to be in PoA. I think it was fine for him to provide a few moments of entertainment here and there during the series - he wasn't really a character I saw as having much potential for a bigger role beyond the one he played. Also, I agree that there didn't seem to be much room to write a larger part for Crookshanks given the importance of the horcruxes and the defeat of Voldemort.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 2nd, 2010, 6:02 pm
Sixth Year

For the record, I don't think Hermione would want Crookshanks tagging along. She knows it's dangerous, and she doesn't want him to meet a sorrowful end like Hedwig.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old January 2nd, 2010, 7:26 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoFoSho View Post
both I and my sister thought for sure that Crookshanks was going to have an important role in the last book. He always seemed like he knew something the others didnt. For example, in the POA he knew the black dog for who he really was (innoncent sirius).
Why do you think nothing ever came of him in deathly hallows?
Rowling has a tendency to use throw-away-after-one-use plot devices. Crookshanks was one such; the Veil in OotP was another; the inferi in HBP yet another.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 7:56 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
For the record, I don't think Hermione would want Crookshanks tagging along. She knows it's dangerous, and she doesn't want him to meet a sorrowful end like Hedwig.
She probably wouldn't have. I just liked him and wish he'd been kept in a little longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
Rowling has a tendency to use throw-away-after-one-use plot devices. Crookshanks was one such; the Veil in OotP was another; the inferi in HBP yet another.
Yes. Cedric is a good example.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 9:31 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
And never do we get to know what that veil is.People assume alot but it is never stated what it is and why its there.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 9:33 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Please discuss the Veil here: The Veil - What do you think it could be?

thanks.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Last edited by Hes; January 2nd, 2010 at 9:36 pm.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 9:54 pm
Fifth Year

[staff edit]

Anyway alot of the minor characters or non-wizard ones if you like make me smile so i wish they had been included more in the books and especially in the movies.
In the Epilogue we don't even know if Crookshanks is still alive but i think probably not it being 19 years later.

Last edited by gertiekeddle; January 6th, 2010 at 2:25 pm. Reason: in-thread discussion removed
Old January 3rd, 2010, 3:56 pm
Snidget of Champions

I do not find it surprising that Crookshanks did not play another vital role after PoA. Hermione first saw Crookshanks because of Scabbers (if Scabbers was not put on the desk of the Magical Menagerie, Crookshanks likely would never have jumped on Ron's head, etc.), so I find it very fitting that Crookshanks's role obsessed around Scabbers in PoA. He was special because he detected that Scabbers and Sirius were Animagi, which ultimately led to Sirius's capture of Peter and the revelations that came with it. Afterwards, without any other hidden Animagi (unless you count Rita Skeeter's beetle, though I am not sure Crookshanks was ever around Rita in beetle form), Crookshanks was a much more normal pet, just like Pigwidgeon or Hermes. I think JKR using Crookshanks as a detector in the following books would have made the trio's jobs much too easy. I can understand how some could claim Crookshanks could potentially detect Voldemort's Horcruxes, but I do not think his ability was that evolved. He knew the difference between an animal and a wizard, but I doubt he would have been any help in detecting a Horcrux in, say, a locket. Therefore, I am glad JKR did not overuse Crookshanks and, instead, made him into a somewhat ordinary pet that Hermione could care for.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:57 pm
First Year

At first I thought Crookshanks was going to turn out to be another animagi that had hidden for years, like Peter Pettigrew

I think in the last book, Rowling had to cut him out just like she killed off Hedwig. The trio couldn't really have gone into hiding with an owl flying off every night, and a cat prowling around hunting for mice. At least she didn't kill Crookshanks too, she just kind of phased him out. She probably thought noone would notice

Old January 5th, 2010, 12:31 pm
First Year

I think it is better that some characters are only for one-time-use. It will be too much like real kids stories (yes, HP was for kids, but still it's different, you know what I mean) where every single little things have to be meaningful, everyone will be hero in the end, etc. Too predictable is not fun.

Old January 6th, 2010, 10:45 am
First Year

I think she would have been sent to Australia with her parents like Lyra said, because if they had a cat around when they were hiding, it's possible he could have escaped and a Death Eater could have picked up that it was Hermiones cat, thus ruining their cover. Like Snape for example, as he was a Hogwarts teacher, he would have been able to recognise Harry's owl. So I think the pets would be unwise for them, as they could leave clues for the deatheaters/snatchers if they escaped or were seen.

And what if Crookshanks was trapped outside of Grimmauld Place? Would she be able to get back in :O? - Sorry, that only just occured to me.

Old January 6th, 2010, 2:03 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeDursley View Post
I think it is better that some characters are only for one-time-use. It will be too much like real kids stories (yes, HP was for kids, but still it's different, you know what I mean) where every single little things have to be meaningful, everyone will be hero in the end, etc. Too predictable is not fun.
If predictable means it makes sense and is logical i am all for it.Still plenty of people treat their pets like as if they were chairs or other non-living things so that does make sense perhaps

Old January 7th, 2010, 2:54 am
Second Year

In all reality, Crookshanks is a housecat. An intelligent housecat who plays a role in chasing down a rat who happens to be an Animagus, but a housecat nonetheless. He doesn't have a personality to develop. I don't know if I'd be able to read on about Crookshanks solving problem after problem with a kitty-like charm. I think he's fine for the book about people disguised as animals, but afterwards, he doesn't really need more screen time.

"The problem isn't that there are too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed correctly."
-Mark Twain

"There, did you think to kill me? There's no flesh and blood in this cloak to kill. There's only an idea. Ideas are bulletproof. Farewell."
-V

FIGHT ON!

Old January 7th, 2010, 10:09 pm
Second Year

I think crookshanks only knew Sirus for what he was because they were animals.

Maybe when an animagus turns into a animal form they can communicate with other animals.

I doubt communicating with trevor would be easy though.

Hedwig was very intellegent too but Sirius was not around crookshanks.
I just always viewed that character like any other animal in the series. As a pet.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone