Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Your current read v6

Old November 11th, 2012, 1:41 pm
First Year

Re: Your current read v6

[quote=SopophorousBean;6050272]I still need to check out this series! I have to ration vampire fiction though. I can't read too much of it close together or I either get bored or confused between series

You should totally check it out, it really is fantastic. I want to read The Hobbit; just the thing is I've never read or watched any LoTR so I feel I'm one of the few people who is unfamiliar with it all I own the first book in the series, it looks pretty good.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return - Moulin Rouge!
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:49 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
Oh gosh, I've been promising myself all year I'll read The Hobbit before the film comes out! Still haven't got round to it...
You should. I tried to read it a few years ago but couldn't handle the idea of drunk elves (I had LotR and it's "perfect" elves fresh in my mind) so I gave it up. I tried again a few months ago, managed to get passed my aversion and loved it. I can't wait to see the film. It looks amazing.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Old November 24th, 2012, 10:44 pm
Fourth Year

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. I'm about halfway through this book and I can't tell you enough how uniquely amazing this book is. Loving it, and I can't wait to finish it.

Old November 29th, 2012, 9:47 am
First Year

Seraphina looks amazing, I need to read more dragon books after reading the Inheritance books

Anyway I'm reading Eon by Alison Goodman; it's like a fantasy set in medieval China.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return - Moulin Rouge!
Old November 29th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Sixth Year

Since Poe left me with a huge cliffhanger in Arthur Gordon Pym, now I'm reading The Sphinx if the Ice Fields, by Jules Verne, which is the sequel to Poe's novel.

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Sixth Year

I'm reading The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka for my English class. I'm about halfway through, and it's a pretty quick read. Though I'm not sure I understand the point of it yet.

Old November 30th, 2012, 6:45 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Since Poe left me with a huge cliffhanger in Arthur Gordon Pym, now I'm reading The Sphinx if the Ice Fields, by Jules Verne, which is the sequel to Poe's novel.
Is that so?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old November 30th, 2012, 9:52 am
Sixth Year

^^ Yes, really. It takes place eleven years later; at the first, the narrator thinks that the story of Arthur Gordon Pym is just a novel. Then he finds a captain who (in his opinion) is obsessed with the book... till he's proven that the whole story actually happened and the captain has a very serious reason to try to find out what happend to the crew of the Jane.

Honestly, I had seen that novel-that-is-actually-a-true-story plotline before, but it never occured to me that Verne had done it. At the moment it's quite interesting.

Old November 30th, 2012, 5:51 pm
Fourth Year

I'm currently reading The Swimmer by Roma Tearne. It is about a 43 yearold poet whose marriage has failed because of infertility. She has become used to being on her own... until she meets a young Sri Lankan refugee.

This is a book I am reading for my book group and it has gripped me from the outset. The characters are so well crafted that immediately you care about them..... I am looking forward to reading the rest of it...

Old December 1st, 2012, 3:02 am
Inconceivable!

I started reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie but I really don't think I want to read anymore of it. The writing style is very strange, with the story bouncing around in a confusing manner. Maybe it would be easier if I was reading it in a normal book rather than on an e-reader. But right now I have no desire to read any further.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old December 1st, 2012, 5:49 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
^^ Yes, really. It takes place eleven years later; at the first, the narrator thinks that the story of Arthur Gordon Pym is just a novel. Then he finds a captain who (in his opinion) is obsessed with the book... till he's proven that the whole story actually happened and the captain has a very serious reason to try to find out what happend to the crew of the Jane.

Honestly, I had seen that novel-that-is-actually-a-true-story plotline before, but it never occured to me that Verne had done it. At the moment it's quite interesting.
Wow I hadn't known that, this sounds interesting. I might just have to look into it.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:21 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
I started reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie but I really don't think I want to read anymore of it. The writing style is very strange, with the story bouncing around in a confusing manner. Maybe it would be easier if I was reading it in a normal book rather than on an e-reader. But right now I have no desire to read any further.
I really enjoyed Midninght's Children. It is said to be Rushdie's masterpiece and I quite agree. Rushdie's storytelling is always very rich, very detailed and there are plenty of things which can be cut out of the story since they serve very little purpose. Some readers find this style tiresome and I understand. Especially if you're reading it as an e-bok. Perhaps give it another chance as a normal book, if you feel like it?

Old December 1st, 2012, 4:02 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I really enjoyed Midninght's Children. It is said to be Rushdie's masterpiece and I quite agree. Rushdie's storytelling is always very rich, very detailed and there are plenty of things which can be cut out of the story since they serve very little purpose. Some readers find this style tiresome and I understand. Especially if you're reading it as an e-bok. Perhaps give it another chance as a normal book, if you feel like it?
I think I'll get a copy of Midnight's Children from the library and see if reading a "real" book rather than an e-book helps. I've only read two e-books, Old Yeller and Little Lord Flauntleroy and those were simple children's books which I read to relax from a stressful work schedule. I'm not overly fond of e-books, but they are handy when traveling.

I have The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in my e-book library and I have enjoyed reading those stories. The short story, A Scandal in Bohemia, is quite a bit different than the BBC Sherlock version.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old December 3rd, 2012, 9:51 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
I think I'll get a copy of Midnight's Children from the library and see if reading a "real" book rather than an e-book helps. I've only read two e-books, Old Yeller and Little Lord Flauntleroy and those were simple children's books which I read to relax from a stressful work schedule. I'm not overly fond of e-books, but they are handy when traveling.

I have The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in my e-book library and I have enjoyed reading those stories. The short story, A Scandal in Bohemia, is quite a bit different than the BBC Sherlock version.
Does Midnight's Children have that poem in the beginning about winged horses? I picked up a book a long time ago that had a poem in the beginning and I really liked it but I forgot the book title although I think it was Midnight's Children?

My current read (these titles are from memory b/c I don't have the books with me):
HBP (I've stopped near the ending chapters b/c I hate reading Dumbledore's death and funeral- it makes me feel gloomy even now!)
The Outsiders (a reread)
Jewelry: From Antiquity to the Present (very interesting so far but it's very detailed about every gemstone/metal used and that's a bit annoying. Also, not all the pictures are colored )
The Abraham's Guide to American House Styles (not as detailed as I'd like it to be but there are loads of colorful pictures and it's a great 'beginner's' guide!)
The Curious Lore of Precious Stones (I haven't started this one yet but I'm excited to!)

Old December 4th, 2012, 2:35 am
Fourth Year

Reading Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey. Second book after Sandman Slim, I'm reading this one because it has generally gotten better ratings then the first, so I'm going to give it a shot. If it doesn't overly impress me than I'm not going to bother reading the third.

Old December 4th, 2012, 4:28 am
Sixth Year

Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King

I've read the first story, I didn't realize it was 4 novellas instead of one novel, or I would have read it earlier. Once I start reading Stephen King, he is hard to put down. I usually have to schedule my reading time for him.

Old December 4th, 2012, 3:02 pm
Fourth Year

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I'm about 50 pages in and enjoying it so far, which surprised me because there doesn't seem to be much plot, and a year ago I probably would have put it down after the first chapter

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old December 6th, 2012, 8:57 pm
Sixth Year

Finally, I could borrow The Hobbit from the library. First attempt with Tolkien in English!

Old December 8th, 2012, 1:18 pm
MODLY CREW

George Elliot, Middlemarch

I'm about five pages in, so I can't really say anything yet.

Old December 9th, 2012, 12:25 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I'm about 50 pages in and enjoying it so far, which surprised me because there doesn't seem to be much plot, and a year ago I probably would have put it down after the first chapter
will you be going to see the film in the new year?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction