Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Audio Books

Old November 29th, 2008, 1:56 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: Audio Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I love that! Just being able to chill out, turn off the light, close your eyes and have someone read to you in all those wonderful voices. Amazing stuff, I totally agree. . It's very relaxing, I always find!
You're right! I've been enjoying DH every night before bed. Its wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
i would....but i end up laughing at everything which does not help sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
Actually, if I turn off the light when I listen to audiobooks I don't fall asleep...

I love being read to. It reminds me of when I was a little girl, visiting Grandma and Grandpa, and sleep there, and them reading fairytales for me... Now noone wants to read loud for me, I'm to big they say. Audio books are saving my day!
That's not very nice. My mother makes my younger nephew read to us when he's being rotten.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2008, 8:25 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
That's not very nice. My mother makes my younger nephew read to us when he's being rotten.
At least I can read loud for my little brother, that's always nice! I'm going to teach him how to read soon, and then he can read loud for me!

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:42 pm
Secret Keeper

I am so glad I put the Harry Potter audiobooks onto my mom's itouch. My parents snore extremely loud and unfortunately, even my loud rock music doesn't block out the noise and i'm hoping a nice book will keep my mind off it

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 30th, 2008, 4:23 am
Qvack...

On a less fictitious note, I just got a copy of "The Audacity of Hope", by Barack Obama, from the library.

He has a beautiful speaking voice- it's like the President is talking to me! This is a real recommendation, even if you don't support him. He has a nice way of bringing across what he learned on his various campaign trails, bringing a rhetorical voice of America to the fore. It's really pleasant to listen to.

THE DUCK.

Old November 30th, 2008, 5:44 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
On a less fictitious note, I just got a copy of "The Audacity of Hope", by Barack Obama, from the library.

He has a beautiful speaking voice- it's like the President is talking to me! This is a real recommendation, even if you don't support him. He has a nice way of bringing across what he learned on his various campaign trails, bringing a rhetorical voice of America to the fore. It's really pleasant to listen to.
That sounds really interesting, I'll have to look for it!

Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old November 30th, 2008, 6:41 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
He has a beautiful speaking voice- it's like the President is talking to me!
How cool that it is actually read by him! Thanks for the recommendation; I'll have to check it out.

Old November 30th, 2008, 5:21 pm
Secret Keeper

You should have told me a few days ago ducklash i could so have used it on the long car ride . I really want to try it out sometime.

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 1st, 2008, 1:49 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
How cool that it is actually read by him! Thanks for the recommendation; I'll have to check it out.
It's so good it has a Grammy. Imagine, President Obama- Grammy Winner!!

, it's lovely to listen to it, his personality really shines through. I'm practically in a trance when I hear it!

THE DUCK.

Old December 1st, 2008, 6:37 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

You know, another audio book that I liked that was read by the author--Eat, Pray, Love. Sometimes the author's reading is kind of a disaster, but she did a really great job with it. I think she read it better than anyone else could have because it was such a personal story. Her reading really captured the thoughts and emotion behind it.

Old December 1st, 2008, 3:57 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:

Another (audio)book to put on my wishlist for Christmas! I really wanted to read the book, it sounded like an interesting read, but maybe I should try to get the audio book. Pity they don't sell it in the stores here, I will have to order it, which uses to take weeks, or even months. Why was I born in Norway? (Just kidding, of course, I love living here except I would like to to live in a larger city than I do, it's so few book stores here! )

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old December 1st, 2008, 5:08 pm
Banned

I listen to the Potter audio books instead of reading the novels because I don't like getting the pages dirty. I like to be able to lay in my bed with the light off and just listen.

Edit: Of course I read books 5-7 when they first came out because I read faster than Jim Dale narrates and I wanted to finish it quickly.

Old December 1st, 2008, 7:36 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:

Okay, I looked on Amazon and found these two:

The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream

The Essential Barack Obama: The Grammy Award-Winning Recordings

Which one was it you had listened to? The later is more expensive.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 2:16 am
Qvack...

Nope, it's the first one, The Audacity of Hope. It's the story of when he first ran for State and Congress, the things he learned along the way, the people he spoke with and his very small beginnings in Illinois. It's a wonderful read/listen. I'm listening to some bits again!

THE DUCK.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 3:09 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Nope, it's the first one, The Audacity of Hope. It's the story of when he first ran for State and Congress, the things he learned along the way, the people he spoke with and his very small beginnings in Illinois. It's a wonderful read/listen. I'm listening to some bits again!
Okay, great! I will look for it while attending Borders Wenesday night....

Old February 14th, 2009, 5:12 am
Fifth Year

I was given one in college by a friend of my father's. Since I traveled a lot to be with my dad while he was dying, his friend thought it may help. I have been hooked ever since. But it really does depend on the narrator. Some of my favorite books have been horrible to listen to because the voice didn't do it justice. And I still remember listening to The Crucible. It was so well done I missed my exit while driving. I got so lost that I added an extra hour and a half onto my trip!

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:15 am
Banned

I haven't listened to any audio books since I was little. I used to hate reading them so my mom would get them for me from the library. I hated them, too. Then, I got back into reading and haven't listened to any audio books since. I might give them a try again, but really, I prefer reading a book than listening to one.

Old March 26th, 2009, 12:19 am
Secret Keeper

i love using them when i'm too lazy to read though, and they're really nice for just digesting books rather than speeding through, which i just do without even noticing

My Deviantart Account

Old March 26th, 2009, 12:33 am
Banned

I tend to skip over to the dialogue at times, so they might come in handy. Also, might be good for car rides. I can't read when I have to listen to the radio or my sister screaming.

Old March 26th, 2009, 12:56 am
Secret Keeper

they'realso great for when you're hands aren't handy. I tend to listen to audiobooks like anywhere, which would include before falling asleep, at school when i'm not paying attention to my teachers and hiding the earphones under my hair, walking in the mall, biking, etc.

My Deviantart Account

Old March 26th, 2009, 3:00 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLupin View Post
I was given one in college by a friend of my father's. Since I traveled a lot to be with my dad while he was dying, his friend thought it may help. I have been hooked ever since. But it really does depend on the narrator. Some of my favorite books have been horrible to listen to because the voice didn't do it justice. And I still remember listening to The Crucible. It was so well done I missed my exit while driving. I got so lost that I added an extra hour and a half onto my trip!
Yes it most definitely depends on the narrator. I remember listening to them at school, and it was extremely boring. I hated it. Jim Dale does great though on the Potter books. I haven't tried anything else though. V8 I like listening to them before bed as well. And when we went to Ocala a few months back, I took along DH and I'm so glad I did. It really helped drone out the four screaming kids behind me. I have to purchase HBP before I hit the road to Pensacola to go see my college.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction