Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

His Dark Materials

Old July 15th, 2008, 2:00 pm
First Year

Re: His Dark Materials

I'm reading the first one now, because the movie stars Nicole Kidman (a truly fantastic actress). I am enjoying it so far, but I just haven't had time to sit down properly and read it.

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2008, 6:10 pm
Fifth Year

I read all three books this year and they were fantastic. Pullman created a very original and intriguing universe. Lyra and Will were very good protagonists, although I didn't like Lyra much; I liked Will. But my favorite character by far is Marisa Coulter. I love cruel beauties. At the end of the series, when her maternal instincts kicked in, she became great. I absolutely adored the scene when she manipulated Metatron.

Doesn't the scene where Marisa Coulter lies to Metatron remind you of the lie Narcissa said against Voldemort?

EDIT: However, Pullman had a rather poor grasp on handling his characters in the Amber Spyglass. When Marisa rambles on about how much she loves Lyra and how bad she is...I really didn't like that. She shouldn't be telling us everything about her personality. It's the readers job to decipher her character. The cheesy interaction with Asriel annoyed me so much.

~ A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~

Last edited by Sacred_Memories; July 30th, 2008 at 6:14 pm.
Old August 1st, 2008, 1:01 am
Second Year

^^^ Yeah, the whole romance bit between her and Asriel was really two-dimensional. I found it hard to believe that
Spoiler: show
they would suddenly decide to die together
after seeming to not care about the other for ages and making no effort to contact the other. I really don't know what to think of it, maybe it was intentional on the part of the author, to make a point about fleeting emotions making people irrational...and maybe it's supposed to sharply contrast how Lyra and Will put aside their love and emotions to do something rational and good for others.

Old August 29th, 2008, 12:45 am
First Year

I saw the movie, but I haven’t read the books yet. I thought the movie was alright.

Old August 29th, 2008, 12:55 am
Banned

I read the books months ago. I thought the third book dragged on a bit. It wasn't nearly as good as the first two.

Old August 31st, 2008, 4:58 am
Qvack...

I read these when I was 10, in fifth class. I just loved them. The messages and atheistic responses throughout them is really wonderful, even if I don't invest in the belief myself. This only proves, to my mind, that these are great books, really and truly.

I won't spoil anything, but I re red the books recently and I finally see why the third book seems more weighty. I haven't the film yet, but I gather there are differences, and I'm not so sure that it would have brought justice to some of my favourite books.

Lyrs is one of my all time favourite heroines, and I genuinely think the twists, plot turns and characters are some of the most detailed I have seen in quite some time. The Magisterium is excellently laid out, and Iorek Byrnison quickly became my favourite character. That has never changed, though Lee Scoresby is also very very cool.

I absolutely love the quote from Milton's Paradise Lost at the beginning. I never fully understood when I was younger why it was there, but after re reading Dark Materials, and after reading Paradise Lost, I have to say that I really do see it.

I think the descriptions are perfect, and the old, parallel universe Oxford is really a great idea. The daemon idea is a great one too...

I think I need to go re read them again!!

THE DUCK.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 1:32 am
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Lyrs is one of my all time favourite heroines, and I genuinely think the twists, plot turns and characters are some of the most detailed I have seen in quite some time.
I agree with you there. I liked Lyra's character a lot too - she was very strong, brave, and defiant in dealing with whatever situation she was dealt. I too liked Iorek Byrnison as one of my favorite characters (Ian McKellan does a great job with his voice in the movie). The only thing that was disappointing in this series was the ending.
Spoiler: show
I didn't like how Lyra loses her talent to read the Alethiometer all of a sudden, but even more than that, I didn't like how Will and Lyra couldn't be together. But I suppose not everything can turn out happy all the time.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 2nd, 2008, 2:12 am
Qvack...

RemusLupinFan, I couldn't agree more. I felt so let down in one way, but in another, what you've mentioned really does fit the idea that sometimes a sacrifice has to be made to make life better for other people. So I understand it, even though it was actually hard to deal with.

*sniffle*

On the upside, I now have to see that film. Ian McKellen voices my favourite character! Thank you for telling me that! I actually didn't know! And now I am way excited about seeing it! I heard that Lee Scoresby is supposed to steal the show. Is that true?

I found special editions of the books last Christmas (I think, or maybe the one before), and there's loads of added extras in the last few pages. It looks great. Glad I invested the money!

THE DUCK.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 9:50 pm
Third Year

Quote:
RemusLupinFan, I couldn't agree more. I felt so let down in one way, but in another, what you've mentioned really does fit the idea that sometimes a sacrifice has to be made to make life better for other people. So I understand it, even though it was actually hard to deal with.

*sniffle*

On the upside, I now have to see that film. Ian McKellen voices my favourite character! Thank you for telling me that! I actually didn't know! And now I am way excited about seeing it! I heard that Lee Scoresby is supposed to steal the show. Is that true?

I found special editions of the books last Christmas (I think, or maybe the one before), and there's loads of added extras in the last few pages. It looks great. Glad I invested the money!
You could say that yes. As said in a very fun spoof here

Quote:
Lee Scoresby is the awesome cowboy grandpa you never even knew you always wanted. His daemon Hester is 100% win.

ON THE QUEST

Watch Chuck ~ = ~ Chat Chuck ~ = ~ Support Chuck
Harry Potter Caption Contest
: The best fanfiction out there.
in - - I grudgingly trust Severus Snape. ~ ~ ~ ~ Black Σφ390
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:03 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_XY390 View Post
You could say that yes.
Nice! I have to say I enjoyed that! I have definitely been talked into getting this film and watching to see who I recognise and what I think overall! I think though, that the books will still impress me more. Is that a logical argument? I just think that kind of cleverness can't always come across on film.

THE DUCK.

Old September 4th, 2008, 12:59 am
Secret Keeper

I totally agree RemusLupinFan!!! It was so sad about Lyra and Will. It was kind of cute with the ending though, because it kind of meant that they were all grown up, except for love. I actually predicted that Lyra wouldn't be able to read the alethiometer, I thought she wouldn't because you had to be a child to do it or something of that nature.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 4th, 2008, 2:33 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I totally agree RemusLupinFan!!! It was so sad about Lyra and Will. It was kind of cute with the ending though, because it kind of meant that they were all grown up, except for love. I actually predicted that Lyra wouldn't be able to read the alethiometer, I thought she wouldn't because you had to be a child to do it or something of that nature.
That was a twist I actually loved, for sure. I wasn't exactly expecting it, but I did like what it stood for, most definitely. I think the books are an absolute pleasure to read. People sometimes ask me why read them, or to give a synopsis. And I'm always like "I can't. I just... can't." Because at the end of the day, how you form a synopsis around a story with talking bears, an external soul like creature, Dust, atheism and the neverending beauty of a childhood long lost but never forgotten. How do you explain the Magisterium? The angels? Mary Malone? A Texan balloonist? And the gyptians?

I mean, where do you even begin? How do you possibly tell someone about a trilogy of books based around a tomboy at the centre of an angels-vs- Authority war?

I'm getting excited and verbose. Apologies.

THE DUCK.

Old September 4th, 2008, 2:56 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
That was a twist I actually loved, for sure. I wasn't exactly expecting it, but I did like what it stood for, most definitely. I think the books are an absolute pleasure to read. People sometimes ask me why read them, or to give a synopsis. And I'm always like "I can't. I just... can't." Because at the end of the day, how you form a synopsis around a story with talking bears, an external soul like creature, Dust, atheism and the neverending beauty of a childhood long lost but never forgotten. How do you explain the Magisterium? The angels? Mary Malone? A Texan balloonist? And the gyptians?

I mean, where do you even begin? How do you possibly tell someone about a trilogy of books based around a tomboy at the centre of an angels-vs- Authority war?

I'm getting excited and verbose. Apologies.
right there we have a basic synopsis . but if you really cut down some books into the very basic words, you'd probably get even less. HP isn't a good example, but some books are pretty simple when you really think about it. His Dark Materials are relatively complex and when i get the time i'll probably reread them (i don't think my mom would like it if i bought three books in one run....especially since i'm saving up my mom pestering until brisingr comes out )

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 4th, 2008, 3:21 am
Qvack...

Quote:
right there we have a basic synopsis . but if you really cut down some books into the very basic words, you'd probably get even less. HP isn't a good example, but some books are pretty simple when you really think about it. His Dark Materials are relatively complex and when i get the time i'll probably reread them (i don't think my mom would like it if i bought three books in one run....especially since i'm saving up my mom pestering until brisingr comes out )
I know the feeling! I love His Dark Materials because, and I hate to analyze, especially given my complaints regarding just this is another thread, but the books sort of act as an anti Paradise Lost. You know the way the quote from Paradise Lost is a feature of the trilogy? Well, in Paradise Lost, humanity's quest for knowledge is condemned. In Pullman's case, he uses the quote to instigate the opposite, and he commends our continual quest for wisdom. I only noticed it quite recently, but ever since I've been longing to go back and read them again.

Glad you liked my synopsis! It would be a great selling point!

THE DUCK.

Old September 4th, 2008, 3:13 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

What does everyone think that Pan's final form of the pine marten represents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_XY390
You could say that yes. As said in a very fun spoof here

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Last edited by Mad_Druid; September 4th, 2008 at 3:16 pm.
Old September 4th, 2008, 9:43 pm
Secret Keeper

I'm not even sure what a pine marten is, i keep forgetting to wikipedia or google it

My Deviantart Account

Old September 4th, 2008, 10:26 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
I'm not even sure what a pine marten is, i keep forgetting to wikipedia or google it
Here's some of what the wikipedia article says about pine martens:
wikiTheir habitats are usually well-wooded areas. European Pine Martens usually make their own dens in hollow trees or scrub-covered fields. Martens are the only mustelids with semi-retractable claws. This enables them to lead more arboreal lifestyles, such as climbing or running on tree branches, although they are also relatively quick runners on the ground. They are mainly active at night and dusk. They have small rounded, highly sensitive ears and sharp teeth for eating small mammals, birds, insects, frogs, and carrion. They have also been known to eat berries, bird's eggs, and honey.
To tell you the truth, I'm really not quite sure what this animal tells us about Lyra's inner personality.

WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:45 pm
Third Year

I found a picture.

I went to The Museum of Natural History in Washington DC this summer and I got really excited because the have a pine martin in the stuffed animal exhibit. It looks a lot like a ferret. It probably has a lot of the same hunting habits as a ferret too. Sneakiness and such.

ON THE QUEST

Watch Chuck ~ = ~ Chat Chuck ~ = ~ Support Chuck
Harry Potter Caption Contest
: The best fanfiction out there.
in - - I grudgingly trust Severus Snape. ~ ~ ~ ~ Black Σφ390

Last edited by Black_XY390; September 4th, 2008 at 10:49 pm.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:18 pm
Qvack...

Yeah, it's really really tough to see what the pine marten form stands for. The colour, reddish-gold is fantastically described. I love the idea that it stands for her individuality and the way she stands out, as well as her overall strength and beauty. Maybe? But that's just the colour.

The article says that they're more active at night and very territorial (which fits- It is, after all, "Lyra's Oxford") but other than that I'm not seeing a whole lot. Would it have anything to do with the fact that Pantalaimon turns to the Pine Marten permanently when Will touches him?
And what about Will? Kirjava is, in the end of the trilogy, a subtly coloured cat. Of course, the "subtle" idea might come from the knife, but...

It's a tough question. Argh!

THE DUCK.

Old September 4th, 2008, 11:27 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Would it have anything to do with the fact that Pantalaimon turns to the Pine Marten permanently when Will touches him?
I don't think it's solely because Will touches him, because I think the final form of a person's daemon always shows what that person is like inside. He must have changed into that form, knowing he was going to settle soon. Then when Will touched him, I think that clinched it, and Pan knew he wasn't going to change again.
Quote:
Kirjava is, in the end of the trilogy, a subtly coloured cat. Of course, the "subtle" idea might come from the knife, but...
Kirjava fits Will to a T, I believe. He is a master of subtlety, since he is excellent at deflecting people's attention and making himself unnoticable and uninteresting when he needs to.

WolfCloak30 Pottermore

Last edited by RemusLupinFan; September 4th, 2008 at 11:30 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy