Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

His Dark Materials

Old August 16th, 2007, 3:29 am
Third Year

Re: His Dark Materials

I just recently finished the first one. I decided to read it because it is on my Summer Read list, and their making a movie out of it, so I figured it must be good. It was. I just started The Subtle Knife. I've got about a hundred pages left. It's really good so far. I like the series.

My daemon is a monkey...that's probably not too good...(I swear, I'm NOT Mrs.Coulter!)

'Your MONKEY DAEMON represents a nature that is admired, detail-oriented, and full of curiosity. Some people might call you self-absorbed. You like to plan ahead, and hone your various talents to perfection.'

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)

Last edited by IntricateLogic; August 16th, 2007 at 3:45 am.
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2007, 9:50 pm
Second Year

stunning series of books, everything in it - from anti clericalism to opium use.

Old August 20th, 2007, 6:47 am
Second Year

Oh, I took the daemon test on the site, and mine is a lion named Thaleron. I guess it's because I'm solitary, yet confident and proud of myself.
I've always felt that my daemon would be some kind of big cat. Unfortunately they're known to bite the hand that feeds them, and have wild mood swings and be vicious or reserved and sullen...heh.

Old August 21st, 2007, 11:07 pm
Third Year

I redid the quiz with all my other friends and now i am a ocelot which works for me!

I tried to convince my sister to read the books so i would have someone to go to the movie with but she wouldnt do it. After seeing the preview on OotP though she said she might go see it with me though she still refuses to read the book. xP

ON THE QUEST

Watch Chuck ~ = ~ Chat Chuck ~ = ~ Support Chuck
Harry Potter Caption Contest
: The best fanfiction out there.
in - - I grudgingly trust Severus Snape. ~ ~ ~ ~ Black Σφ390
Old August 30th, 2007, 4:24 am
Third Year

I just finished The Amber Spyglass today. It was my favorite in the series. Then the second one, then the first one. They were all really good though. My mom is currently reading Golden Compass, and then my sister is going to read it.

A question--Lyra's Oxford: Is that like an epilogue, or is it something else completely?

Anyways, now that I'm done, I'm going to re-read the entire HP series, and this time, in order. I was only 4 when SS came out, so I obviously didn't start there.

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)
Old August 30th, 2007, 7:31 pm
Third Year

Lyra's Oxford is a short story about stuff that happens to Lyra a bit after the trilogy. It also has extras like maps and other things.

ON THE QUEST

Old August 31st, 2007, 12:36 am
Registered Animagus

I absolutely love the books. I read them years ago when my teacher suggested them to me and must have read them a dozen times each since (Northern Light is still my favourite) though the movie looks sickeningly terrible which is a shame because I was really looking forward to it. Are they combining all three?

Old September 1st, 2007, 10:13 pm
Student

I love the books. Everyone was on at me for AGES to read them so I gave them a try last year and loved them!! (BTW, I took the test and my Daemon is a Pine Marten like Lyra's!!!)

Old September 28th, 2007, 12:14 am
Third Year

Pullman's got a new book coming out!!!

http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/news...llmanbook.html

ON THE QUEST

Old October 6th, 2007, 7:15 am
Superman

I recently read this series. I'd known about it for a while and had heard it was good so I decided to borrow the first book from the library. About two hours later I purchased all three of them from the shops so I guess you could say I enjoyed it

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:01 pm
Second Year

His Dark Materials is great! I just got into it about two weeks ago because my friend couldn't stop talking about it... so far I've read the Golden Compass, but I went to Barnes and Nobles the other day to get the second and third. I really enjoyed it. I know there's gonna be a movie out later this year, which I can't wait for!

"It is important to fight, to fight again, and to keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."
--Albus Dumbledore
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:24 pm
Second Year

Brilliant books!!!

Read them when I was 9/10 though... Need to re-read them!

When you 'bless my cotton socks,' please don't bless my cotton socks.

I wear Gold - Plated, diamond encrusted ones!

So indeed, it should be....'Bless your gold - plated, diamond encrusted socks'.

Toodles.

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)
Old October 19th, 2007, 2:45 am
First Year

I love this series! I first read it several years ago when I was younger, and then reread them about 2-3 years ago. I have to admit, I was pretty surprised at the difference in how I viewed the series after each reading! I picked up so much more the second time, and viewing it through a more-adult lens really gave different meaning to some of the occurrences.

Overall, this is one of my most-loved series. I would not, however, recommend it for very young children.

Old October 19th, 2007, 4:29 am
Third Year

Loved it when I read it. Only book other than Harry Potter that made me cry(when Lyra and Will had to go about the own lives alone). I might reread it before the movie comes out.

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Old October 31st, 2007, 1:46 pm
Knower of things

I've seen reports today that catholic groups are hitting out at PUllman as he's a confirmed athiest and that they believe he is broadcasting his "message" as they see it through the books. Now maybe I'm being utterly blind and I'll admit that it's not the first time but I did not notice any anti catholic messages in the books, I'm curious though did anyone else?

Old October 31st, 2007, 2:36 pm
Member of the Order

Although I was disappointed with how it ended I found them entertaining enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I've seen reports today that catholic groups are hitting out at PUllman as he's a confirmed athiest and that they believe he is broadcasting his "message" as they see it through the books. Now maybe I'm being utterly blind and I'll admit that it's not the first time but I did not notice any anti catholic messages in the books, I'm curious though did anyone else?
Believe it or not, there is a subtle anti-Catholic message if you really look for it and have a knowledge of religious history.

Christianity is a direct result from Catholicism and the church's willingness to do anything to stomp out what they considered "heresy," a relevant issue in the books themselves. One of the biggest heresies was Gnosticism. One of the Gnostic sects avers that the God worshipped by the Jews and (and by extension) followed by the Catholics, is a tyrant, and the "true God" was something far greater and sublime. This false god was also the one that created humans and the world which is why there is so much evil in the world. (So Heaven may not be the paradise some think. Indeed, what little is mentioned in the Bible seems rather...questionable to me.)
Although conversely, the Gnostics did believe that humans could "elevate" themselves as we saw in the character "Metatron" who is also mentioned in real texts. (Metatron was the human Enoch. Him, and the human Elijah, who became the archangel Sandalphon are the only two humans mentioned in genuine texts that supposedly became "raised.")

The Roman Catholic church will definitely be scrutinizing not only the books but the forthcoming movie as well.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)

Last edited by Midnightsfire; November 5th, 2007 at 8:24 pm. Reason: Wrong prophet...the Devil made me do it!
Old November 1st, 2007, 9:48 pm
Third Year

^ I didnt really see it as Anti-catholic but more anti church. Kind of saying let people worship how they choose to. It does say that the Authority was i guess a "false god". but The story of Adam and Eve and such still happened. And though the Authority was in charge in the beginning of creation, he was respectful toward Lyra when they met. He just got in over his head with the church.

Its is going to get a lot of heat from the church though. And yet i wonder if they will actually read it.

ON THE QUEST

Last edited by Black_XY390; November 25th, 2007 at 6:53 pm.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:00 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Believe it or not, there is a subtle anti-Catholic message if you really look for it and have a knowledge of religious history.

Christianity is a direct result from Catholicism and the church's willingness to do anything to stomp out what they considered "heresy," a relevant issue in the books themselves. One of the biggest heresies was Gnosticism. One of the Gnostic sects avers that the God worshipped by the Jews and (and by extension) followed by the Catholics, is a tyrant, and the "true God" was something far greater and sublime. This false god was also the one that created humans and the world which is why there is so much evil in the world. (So Heaven may not be the paradise some think. Indeed, what little is mentioned in the Bible seems rather...questionable to me.)
Although conversely, the Gnostics did believe that humans could "elevate" themselves as we saw in the character "Metatron" who is also mentioned in real texts. (Metatron was the human Enoch. Him, and the human Ezekiel, who became the archangel Sandalphon are the only two humans mentioned in genuine texts that supposedly became "raised.")

The Roman Catholic church will definitely be scrutinizing not only the books but the forthcoming movie as well.

Midnightsfire, I agree with what you have posted.

From personal experience, as a "fallen away" Catholic, I will say that I learned much more about religion and religious history after I left the church and started studying religious issues for myself. I have just finished reading the first book in the Dark Materials trilogy and did see hints of anti-Catholicism but if I had not studied the who, what, when, and why of the church's history, I probably would have been offended enough to discontinue reading the book. Although I still consider myself a Christian, I don't find the literary works of others with different religious (or non-religious) beliefs to be a problem. After all, I have a choice as to whether or not to read it. It is better to read a wide variety of books and have an open mind and a broader knowledge, than to just veto a book based on what others have to say. If a person finds a book disagreeable for whatever reason, the solution is simple: close the book and go on to the next. (This is my general belief and it is not directed at anyone on this forum.)

All that said, I really enjoyed Mr. Pullman's book and am going to pick up the other two in the series this evening when I go to the bookstore. I found the characters to be engaging, the story moved along swiftly enough to interesting all the way through, and the writing is intelligent.

Old November 16th, 2007, 2:43 am
First Year

I'm Catholic and my parents won't allow me to read the books. My dad say they kill a person named Yaweh in the last book, and, if you don't know, Yaweh is another name for God. My friend wanted to see the movie, but when she found out about that she decided not to. I wanted to read the books, but I can't now. I don't know if I want to now. Especially if they kill God.

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:46 am
Fourth Year

It's not like God gets actually killed-it's just a fiction book.
If you change beliefs with every "diffrent" book you read then your religious ideas really need more search. The world out there is filled with people with all kinds of beliefs, though, and not all of them are worse than just strange. Seing all kinds of ideas and all points of views isn't a bad thing, as long as you think on them and get more open-minded. You can't live locked in a catholic church for a lifetime. I've always been a christian but half of my best friends-and many of my favourite books-have other religions. And they're all just great. I will neither burn them for having diffrent ideas nor change my own religion.
The book doesn't tell you to change your religion, just plays with the thought of God being mortal. If you don't feel like reading something that plays with several thoughts on God's identity, though, then perhaps you should wait 1-2 years to grow up a little more before reading it, if you want to. No one says you have to read it, after all.

My Dark Lord? Sorry I disturb you,
but Muggles have started catching up with us...

My Harry Potter fanart
My deviantart page

Last edited by Dancing_Blade; November 23rd, 2007 at 10:58 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy