Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.20

Old September 7th, 2011, 10:21 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Like I said above yes. All information can be traced directly or indirectly to Rowling. However there can be interpretation involved and therefore you can't rely a website to be 100% accurate.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:35 pm
Second Year

Why did Harry end up in Knocturn Alley when he said Diagon Alley? I'm not from England but the words just don't sound similar at all to me... Is it some kind of pun? Thanks

'No story lives unless someone wants to read it. The stories we love best DO live in us forever. So whether you come by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you HOME.' - J.K.Rowling.
'And I just wanna say that, amm... I've loved every minute and thank you all very very much' -Dan Radcliffe

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Proud member of the POTTERMORE BATTALION
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:37 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justincase View Post
Why did Harry end up in Knocturn Alley when he said Diagon Alley? I'm not from England but the words just don't sound similar at all to me... Is it some kind of pun? Thanks
He said 'Diagon Alley' in a fashion that sounded like 'Diagonally.' So he moved in a Diagonal path from the Weasley's fireplace to whatever fireplace was Diagonal from it...which was Knockturn Alley. At least, that's how I interpreted it!

Old September 7th, 2011, 10:44 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

It's only in the films that Harry says "diagonally." In the books, he just coughs:

CoS...he opened his mouth and immediately swallowed a lot of hot ash.

"D-Dia-gon Alley," he coughed.

I think it was just a matter of the magic not knowing what he said. It also might have heard "alley" without understanding the first word, and dumped him out in one of the many alleys available.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:07 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justincase View Post
One of the chief rules of traveling by Floo Powder is "You must speak clearly." Harry did not say "Diagon Alley" clearly, and that resulted in his slightly botched transportation. I do not think the Floo Powder mistakened Harry's intent to be Knockturn Alley rather than Diagon Alley, though. Harry's imprecise pronunciation simply caused him to get out a grate or two early/late. As Mr. Weasley says, "We hoped you’d only gone one grate too far," which, to me, indicates that Harry's "D-Dia-gon Alley" registered as Diagon Alley, but it was just a much less precise delivery (and the "one grate too far" just happened to be in the nearby Knockturn Alley). Thus, I do not think it was meant to be a pun or a confusion of the diction, but merely imprecise delivery due to Harry's mispronunciation.

Incidentally, Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley are both puns on the words "diagonally" and "nocturnally," respectively.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
They're home schooled or if they're Muggle-born like Hermione, they go to Muggle schools. Perhaps the wealthy pure-blood families have tutors.
Thanks, this is what I've always thought but wasn't sure.

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old September 8th, 2011, 2:53 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
From the books, interviews given by JKR, websites dedicated to the books and HP world (like The Leaky Cauldron, Mugglenet etc)
In addition, it does take information from the movies as well (for example, it has a page devoted to the spell "ascendio," which never came from any of JKR's releases), but it seems to note when something is only from the movie.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old September 8th, 2011, 6:31 am
First Year

So Harry had the invisibility cloak given to him by Dumbledore which was left to for him from his fatherJames,but where did James get the cloak?

Old September 8th, 2011, 6:33 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I had always thought that he had gotten it from his father. I considered this even more so when DH came out and we heard The Tale of the Three Brothers. I don't know if this was ever confirmed.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old September 8th, 2011, 9:20 am
First Year

Since the movie changed Hermionie from being crucio and changed it to Bellatrix carving mudblood in her arm. Does anyone think that she had that as a scar for the rest of her life like Harry?

Old September 8th, 2011, 9:24 am
Second Year

Hi, Luna! You might want to try this thread: Questions about the Harry Potter movies.

Old September 8th, 2011, 12:52 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315
I had always thought that he had gotten it from his father. I considered this even more so when DH came out and we heard The Tale of the Three Brothers. I don't know if this was ever confirmed.
It is confirmed that Harry's Invisibility Cloak traveled through the generations through inheritance:
DH, King's Cross"The Cloak, as you know now, traveled down through the ages, father to son, mother to daughter, right down to Ignotusís last living descendant, who was born, as Ignotus was, in the village of Godricís Hollow."
Dumbledore smiled at Harry.
"Me?"
"You."

So James received the cloak from his father/mother (I do not think we know if the Peverell lineage is through Harry's grandfather or grandmother).

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 10th, 2011, 5:44 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Do we ever learn where most wizards get their food? I can remember at least one restaurant (Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor), but are there grocery stores? Markets?

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old September 10th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Do we ever learn where most wizards get their food? I can remember at least one restaurant (Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor), but are there grocery stores? Markets?
I think that I can say with confidence that.... no, we never learned anything about it. It was something I have been looking out for in previous reads, but I don't think we ever get informed of anything, in book or interview.

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old September 10th, 2011, 7:32 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
In my opinion we`re never told anthing about grocery shopping in the story. But there are restaurants, for instance we know the leaky Cauldron, where Harry is eating in Prisoner of Azkaban. And if I remember right, you could order cake in that cafe, Harry is taking Cho out in Order of the Phoenix.

I had the impression, that you need onl a very small portion of something eadible and that you could extend it dramatically. The Weasley family with a lot of good eating teenage boys never got out of food or moaned about the costs, but about the amount of gold that they had to pay for books and clothes.

I think there was a part in an interview, where JK told about Merope and that she didn`t need to starve because of her magical abilities. She died of exhaustion because she lost her will to live.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old September 10th, 2011, 7:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annett View Post
I had the impression, that you need onl a very small portion of something eadible and that you could extend it dramatically. The Weasley family with a lot of good eating teenage boys never got out of food or moaned about the costs, but about the amount of gold that they had to pay for books and clothes.
Certainly the Weasleys never seem short of food. I remember they kept chickens so presumably got eggs and meat from them, and I'm a bit surprised that we never hear of them growing vegetables in that big garden of theirs. Perhaps they did and we just aren't told. But they evidently had food they didn't produce themselves so Mrs Weasley must have bought it somewhere. I can't remember whether transfigured things last, so can't be certain that she could extend the food she had by magic.

Quote:
I think there was a part in an interview, where JK told about Merope and that she didn`t need to starve because of her magical abilities. She died of exhaustion because she lost her will to live.
She wouldn't have been able to create food though as it's one of the things included in Gamp's Law.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old September 10th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Certainly the Weasleys never seem short of food. I remember they kept chickens so presumably got eggs and meat from them, and I'm a bit surprised that we never hear of them growing vegetables in that big garden of theirs. Perhaps they did and we just aren't told. But they evidently had food they didn't produce themselves so Mrs Weasley must have bought it somewhere. I can't remember whether transfigured things last, so can't be certain that she could extend the food she had by magic.

She wouldn't have been able to create food though as it's one of the things included in Gamp's Law.
There is a fair bit of curiosity over whether magically extending food works the same as essentially conjuring new food. I wish we had more to go on than what we do. Is it like Leprechaun gold? Will it fill you up but not nourish you?

Joseph Joubert

Old September 10th, 2011, 7:57 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I`m not sure the Weasleys have a vegetable garden, but they don`t need one. Because they have chickens and you could transform food.

Quote:
Not create, but enlarge. That would be enough.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old September 10th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annett View Post
Not create, but enlarge. That would be enough.
She could also summon it from somewhere else if she was desperate.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old September 10th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
She could also summon it from somewhere else if she was desperate.
Yes you`re right, that`s also not against Gamp`s Law.

And if I interprete Gamp`s Law right, she could have used a stone to turne it into something to eat or even dust.

Edit to add:
There was a question about food in Wombat 3, part 3 maybe that gets us further.

Last edited by Annett; September 10th, 2011 at 8:25 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References