Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Old December 4th, 2010, 3:28 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
I wonder why Harry considers Snape braver than James, who sacrificed his life for Harry's?
This question has been raised in predecessors of this thread. The discussion probably belongs on the Harry thread, since it is about what Harry believes and why. At any rate, that is where I have previously answered the same question, and would be happy to discuss further:

http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1075

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.

Last edited by arithmancer; December 4th, 2010 at 3:33 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2010, 4:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Actually, it's not as simple as that one quote. The only thing constant about JKR's interview quotes on Snape are their contradictions. She says he's a bully. She says he's a good guy. She says he's a flawed hero. She even says that Harry - "like Snape" - is a flawed human being (her comparison, not mine).

If I can glean anything about authorial intent from her 2007 interviews it is that her intent is either to explore as many facets of this complex character as possible (rather than reduce him to simple categories) or it is to keep the waters as muddy as possible so that she can enjoy the debates that she admits to enjoying.
My take is that she is just being purposefully ambiguous. There is in truth no one way to read Snape, IMO. While I would enjoy a story about his life, I think JKR likes fan speculation too much to consider writing one.

Old December 4th, 2010, 5:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I would agree that taking a step back is important. I'm just not sure that author's intent is something to elevate above all else.

Also, where does it say that it's been 10 years since Snape used Legilimency?
I didn't say to elevate authorial intent above all others, but I do think it is something that has to be borne in mind. After all the finished text is the work of the author and intent plays a big part in the process, so it cannot be ignored. IMO it does have to be evaluated with what you read in the finished text. Did the author convince you that her intent came through in the finished text or does the text take you someplace else? For me Rowling's intent came through as far as her portait of Snape is concerned. I agreed with all of her later statements about Snape. I thought she did a bang up job.

It doesn't say in the text that Snape had not used Legilimency in 10 years just as it does not say he was using it the scene with Harry. I was speculating, just like you. But having said that I will say that I don't think he would have used it as it is invasive magic. Dumbledore who was also a very skilled Legilimens would have known and I doubt he would have been best pleased by Snape doing it.

FutureAuthor13: I think what you are describing would be more on what traditional telephathy is supposed to be like. Legilimens is magic and therefore would probably need a spell to be done properly.

giftedkid: I have never thought that Harry literally meant that seriously. I look at the context and I realised Harry is trying to reassure his worried young son by telling him that Slytherin is not that bad. The use of the word 'probably' in that statement for me serves as a qualifier.

Last edited by eliza101; December 4th, 2010 at 5:29 pm.
Old December 4th, 2010, 6:20 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
My take is that she is just being purposefully ambiguous. There is in truth no one way to read Snape, IMO. While I would enjoy a story about his life, I think JKR likes fan speculation too much to consider writing one.
I agree. Opinions are subjective; there is no wrong way to have an opinion of a character, even if one's opinion is the opposite of the author's. I think the reason that JKR contradicts herself with Snape is that she, just like all her readers, is constantly re-analyzing the characters she has created. Just like fans can come to a new understanding of a book they read a few years ago, an author can come to a new understanding of a character she finished with a few years ago. Her opinions on her characters do not remain what they were when she created them because she created complex characters. And Snape is at the top of that list.

Old December 4th, 2010, 6:33 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Oh, and one of the many other things JKR has said about Snape is that she wanted redemption for him and that there is redemption for him.

As for "bravest man"... Well before the ending of the story, I thought that if I was reading all the clues correctly (i.e., that Snape was truly in league with Dumbledore and was therefore playing double agent to Voldemort... for the sake a boy that he didn't even particularly like)... that this was probably the bravest thing I had ever seen any character ever do in any work of fiction. (and literature is my profession).

Protecting people you love is not unexpected. But devoting your life to protecting people you don't love (people you don't even like), putting your life and soul in mortal danger for them, and ultimately laying down your life for them is fairly stunning imo.

I, for one, was not the least bit surprised that Harry made that comment to the son he named for the two Headmasters. It was what I had already concluded about Severus Snape.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old December 4th, 2010, 7:38 pm
Third Year

Here is a doubt I have about Snape, it is not exactly character analysis but I don't know where to put this.

There is a drawing made by JKR, in wich Snape appears with a goatee. It is never mentioned in the text and it is not taken in consideration for the films. My question is : how is "your book Snape", with or without goatee?
My one is without, and not very tall, just middle sized but slightly tall due more to the fact that he is thin (and thin people usually appear taller than they are).

And another issue. How do you think his friendship with Lucius Malfoy was? similar to the one the Marauders had, or different, more Slytherin-like?.
For me it is a strong friendship, but mainly in the part of Snape, Lucius, to me, seems to really appreciate Severus, and be a true friend, but never forgeting the "save myself first, Slytherin thing".

Would love to hear your thoughts.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320
Old December 4th, 2010, 8:46 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
@ exl2398: Well said!

But, Severus also was not the villain. Voldemort was. Since Severus plays such a hugely important part all through the series (even though we aren't aware of it until DH), and, since he is pretty much the opposite of many things that are usually part of being a hero (i.e., good looking, nice, likeable), IMO he does fit the anti-hero description. He was snarky, cold, and aloof, but, he was also brave, loyal, and able to love very deeply.
I don't think being an antagonist makes him a villian. He's just the opposition to the protagonist. As we see in six of the books and even most of the seventh, Snape appears to be against Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I'm still confused about the context of that statement. I've been asking for some canon to prove her statement for the past three years because I can't think of any way that Snape was a bully "at the end of this book" meaning Deathly Hallows. How was Snape a bully in DH?
I don't think she's pointing to any specific action in the book, just that even then his personality hadn't changed and if he lived he'd still be bullying students like he did before.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old December 4th, 2010, 8:54 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I don't think being an antagonist makes him a villian. He's just the opposition to the protagonist. As we see in six of the books and even most of the seventh, Snape appears to be against Harry.

I don't think she's pointing to any specific action in the book, just that even then his personality hadn't changed and if he lived he'd still be bullying students like he did before.
I think that's it leah, Snape was still the same man he always had been. He did work to bring Voldemort down, but he could not change how he treated peolpe. IMO he was stll driving them away just like he drove Lily away. It's sad really, that's his tragedy.

Old December 4th, 2010, 9:45 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Except that he only appears to be in opposition to the protagonist. I suppose that makes him a "red herring antagonist" or a "fake antagonist," but he's not the antagonist. Snape and Harry are on the same side against Voldemort. They are working toward the same ends. A true antagonist is typically trying to thwart the protagonist's primary ends. Snape is trying to facilitate Harry's primary ends.

Quote:
On the actual page of the text, I see profound change in this character. Perhaps JKR meant for him to be flat, and the character got away from the her. (That happens when one writes characters that live and breathe and take on a life of their own - which is one of the many reasons I think authorial intent is not a good primary standard by which to analyze text).

But of course, if she intended him as a flat (unchanging) character, then she failed rather miserably, I think. Had she succeeded in painting a flat character, then we would not be having this conversation. Everybody would simply recognize him as flat and agree, and we wouldn't be on the gazillionth iteration of this thread.

Of course, I don't believe she did fail. I think the character was always intended to be complex, nuanced, and a primary embodiment of the redemption story arc.

And I also think that JKR enjoys yanking the fans' chains.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; December 4th, 2010 at 9:50 pm.
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:02 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith;5663898On the actual page of the text, I see profound change in this character. Perhaps JKR meant for him to be flat, and the character got away from the her. (That happens when one writes characters that live and breathe and take on a life of their own - which is one of the many reasons I think authorial intent is not a good primary standard by which to analyze text).

But of course, if she intended him as a flat (unchanging) character, then she failed rather miserably, I think. Had she succeeded in painting a flat character, then we would not be having this conversation. Everybody would simply recognize him as flat and agree, and we wouldn't be on the gazillionth iteration of this thread. :yuhup:

Of course, I don't believe she did fail. I think the character was always intended to be complex, nuanced, and a primary embodiment of the redemption story arc.

[SIZE="1"
And I also think that JKR enjoys yanking the fans' chains.[/size]
I wasn't really talking about his inner change cc, what I was referring to was his way of pushing people away and how he couldn't seem to break out of that mold. The time period I' talking about is pre Deathly Hallows, primarily because we see very little of Snape in that book. He's only in 2/3 chapters and we don't see much of him interacting with other people. Prior to that we do see him with other people. Harry, Tonks, Dumbledore and Sirius. With the exception of Dumbledore he is not making an effort to be pleasant and there are no Slytherin pupils around. He is alone with them when he is being his most unpleasant.

Old December 4th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Quote:
As for "bravest man"... Well before the ending of the story, I thought that if I was reading all the clues correctly (i.e., that Snape was truly in league with Dumbledore and was therefore playing double agent to Voldemort... for the sake a boy that he didn't even particularly like)... that this was probably the bravest thing I had ever seen any character ever do in any work of fiction. (and literature is my profession).

Protecting people you love is not unexpected. But devoting your life to protecting people you don't love (people you don't even like), putting your life and soul in mortal danger for them, and ultimately laying down your life for them is fairly stunning imo.

I, for one, was not the least bit surprised that Harry made that comment to the son he named for the two Headmasters. It was what I had already concluded about Severus Snape.

Harry was trying to reassure his son, but I think he was being very sincere when he told Albus Severus that Snape was "probably the bravest man I ever knew". Why else would Harry name his son Severus? Afterall, Harry never liked Snape. So I see no reason other than that he considered him to be brave and worthy of honouring.

Old December 4th, 2010, 10:11 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmetlion View Post
how is "your book Snape", with or without goatee?
My one is without, and not very tall, just middle sized but slightly tall due more to the fact that he is thin (and thin people usually appear taller than they are).
Without, and if we're talking height, somewhere between or including 5'5" and 5'8". In OotP, Harry notes that Sirius is taller than Snape, and there aren't many other references to his height, so I don't imagine Severus super tall.

The closest Grandpre came to how I picture Snape in the FotP illustration, which is goatee-less.

Quote:
And another issue. How do you think his friendship with Lucius Malfoy was? similar to the one the Marauders had, or different, more Slytherin-like?
Good question. We don't have much information to go by. I believe this is what we have:

Lucius' welcome to Sev when he was sorted
Umbridge's claim that Lucius speaks highly of Snape
Narcissa's willingness to beg Snape for help and Severus' assent to do the UV
Severus' own preferential treatment of Draco
Snape's claim to DD that Draco trusts him less in HBP

So many of this could be influenced by his spy job, and we know that Severus is actively working against the side Lucius backs. What I suppose is that Lucius and Severus have a friendly relationship, to the point where Severus has gotten to know the Malfoy family rather well. Lucius probably could reap benefits from this acquaintance, but not many from a half-blood schoolteacher living in a run-down Muggle neighborhood. I think for Lucius, the relationship, if not on the BFF level, is genuine. Yes, Sev isn't Mr. Personality. But his conduct toward Narcissa and DD suggest to me that he is capable of civility, and arrogant as Lucius may be, I can see him appreciating intelligent company.

For Snape...Very difficult to determine, IMO. He keeps his feelings buried pretty deep. I think we can agree that he does not appreciate Lucius' political views, but does he keep up the relationship because of a genuine liking for the Malfoys or for the purposes of keeping an eye out? Personally, I have no idea, but I'm sure it is to some degree a combination of the two.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old December 5th, 2010, 3:05 am

Quote:
There is a drawing made by JKR, in wich Snape appears with a goatee. It is never mentioned in the text and it is not taken in consideration for the films. My question is : how is "your book Snape", with or without goatee?
Mine was always clean shaven. Glasses and facial hair are two things I would not put on a mental image of a person unless they were described, I think because there are so many ways these can look, so many styles. Rowling has also, on other occasions, drawn Snape as clean-shaven. In particular he appeared so in a sketch of Harry with many of the Hogwarts teachers.

Quote:
And another issue. How do you think his friendship with Lucius Malfoy was? similar to the one the Marauders had, or different, more Slytherin-like?.
For me it is a strong friendship, but mainly in the part of Snape, Lucius, to me, seems to really appreciate Severus, and be a true friend, but never forgeting the "save myself first, Slytherin thing".
I do not think they would have had a friendship of equals in school. Lucius is some 5-6 years older than Severus, too great a gap in ages, in my view. It was more Lucius taking Snape under his wing, I would imagine. As an adult, Snape may have felt something for Lucius, but this would have conflicted with his goals. For example, he is responsible for Lucius winding up in disfavor and in Azkaban, since it was he that sent the Order to the Ministry and foiled Lucius' attempt to gain the Prophecy for Voldemort. (He saved Harry in the process, naturally). On the other hand, Snape seems to have sympathy for the Malfoys' predicament in HBP, considering how he speaks of it to Dumbledore in "The Prince's Tale".

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old December 5th, 2010, 6:27 am
Fourth Year

1. Do you believe that Snape's soul was still intact after he had killed Dumbledore? Yes, I believe Snape's soul was still intact after he killed Dumbledore. Even though Albus made him promise to do end his suffering if/when needed, Snape still begged for a way out. Even while he had his wand aimed at Albus, he hesitated and had to have Albus beghim to remember his promise.
2. Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? No, I don't think Snape would have moved on if Lily had survived. It would have been worse for him to see her Married to James, being the Mother of his Son and seemingly moving on without giving him a second thought. Would he have turned to the good side in that case? Yes, I think the shear fright of learning her life was on the line partially because of him would have made him go to the good side.
3. How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series? I still think it was wrong of him to bully Harry and Neville. However, I think he was so immersed in his grudges that it became second nature to him. As Headmaster of the School, Albus should have read him the riot act and come down really hard on him in order to get him to seeand understandwhat he was doing.
4. What do you think about Snape's relationship with Dumbledore? I think Snape saw Dumbledore as a Mentor and the Father he shouldhave had as a Child. It was obvious he respected Dumbledore's opinions, saw his "ruling" as final and non argumentative. We also saw he felt safe enough to let his guard down and become emotionally vulnerable with Dumbledore. In the same sense, I think Albus maybe regarded Severus as the Son he never had. Did they become friends or was Dumbledore a substitute father figure for him? Yes, I think they became Friends as well.
5. Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews? Yes.
6. Which elements do you think make Snape the most controversial character of the series? He bullied Children entrusted in his care. He's supposedto be the Adult here. He knew how it felt to be humiliated in front of people and should have been mature enough notto do it to someone else. Yet, he went out of his way to protect Harry.
7. If you had to summarize Snape's character to someone who had never read the books what would you tell them? Wow, that's a hard question to answer.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old December 5th, 2010, 9:16 am
Always Indy's Girl

I never imagined Snape with a goatee. Thanks for the pics Iggy; my Snape is closer to the one in the group photo. He is tall and not very good looking, but with eyes that arrest and command attention. I think I would like his eyes. And his voice and his way with words, that is imo another thing that he uses, deliberately to make people think the way he wants them to.

I think he is very perceptive and I think uses ability that to please, push buttons or make people plain angry. I think he is aware of the emotions he arouses in others most of the time. It is only with Lily and later Dumbledore that I feel Snape is himself and among those people, I think Lily glimpsed even those parts of Snape (I mean mentally people) that no one else was privy to, even Dumbledore. Interestingly, I think Snape made an effort to show those parts to Harry through his memories. So, after Lily, I think Snape would have made an effort to get close with Harry, had he lived after the war and had Harry been interested, which somehow I think he would have been. JMO.

Quote:
I think it was a very deep friendship with real understanding; I say this because Narcissa was able to come to Snape and ask her to defy Voldemort, cheat him for his friend's sake. James did that for Sirius, when he argued that he completely trusted Sirius to be his SK. Here both Narcissa and James were talking about two other people and saying that their friendship meant a world of loyalty, trust and everything. While James was talking for Sirius, Narcissa was talking about Lucius and in effect saying that the relationship Snape had with Lucius was worth more than his loyalty to Voldemort imo.

I don't know if I would compare it to the Marauders, because I think they had a different kind of friendship among the four of them. James and Sirius perhaps, but I feel James and Sirius were closer than Lucius and Snape; James gives the impression of being closer to Sirius than Lily, while with Lucius it is clear friendship and family belong to different levels.

Quote:
I think it was more or less an equal friendship; though I don't think it started that way; Lucius was way elder to Snape and in that age 5 years or so is almost insurmountable. But, I suppose over the years both of them did cultivate or develop a relationship that was close. Else Narcissa would not have been able to ask something so big of Snape and neither would she have the confidence to confide something Voldemort had strictly told her to keep secret. She breaks her loyalty to Voldemort to another DE (she thinks Snape is one); that comes only when there is enormous trust and a relationship between the two that would not harm and place Lucius, Draco and herself in greater trouble than they were in imo.

Quote:
I think the character was always intended to be complex, nuanced, and a primary embodiment of the redemption story arc.
I agree.

I also think Snape moved far beyond the expectation of controversy and complexity that JKR originally intended for him. Even beyond the 7th Book, which I think she never contemplated.

===================

Snape was imo JKR's greatest secret. He was also her biggest reveal, the character who after years of being hated by Harry, would be accepted by him. She had to keep this man hidden through the 7 books, in such a way that not just Harry would remain clueless about Snape but readers would too. After hating him for years and even wishing him dead, Harry would finally understand Snape in such a manner that he placed Snape alongside his parents and Dumbledore, whom he loved, respected and accepted imo.

But, many fans saw through what she intended for Snape at the end in the first 6 Books itself and attributed reasons to his behaviour, character and his complicated relationship with Harry, that she leaned over to the other side as it were in her interviews and comments to make him look negative, by trying to actually simplifying his character so that at the end of Book 7 what she intended for Snape would become the biggest reveal. But somewhere along the way I think Snape went out of her control, because I think she realised that there was too deep a chasm between those who thought good and ill of Snape and this I think is reflected in her after DH interviews as well where she tries to satisfy both groups, calling Snape nasty and then saying he was a good man, that he was a bully (which means one is a coward) and then saying that he was immensely brave, that he loved (Lily) even as he hated (Harry). But in her Books, I think she stuck on to what she had always intended for Snape and that was that there was more to Snape than what Harry thought of him in the first 6 Books and a large part of the 7th and in the Epilogue we are shown how Harry treated the information he saw in the Pensieve. How he treated Snape. JMO

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:02 am
Fifth Year

Great post, The Green Woods.

I also have never imagined Snape with a goatee. I picture him to be very thin (I agree with MinervasCat about him trying to make himself look more imposing by wearing black, billowing robes), slightly taller than the average British male but not exceptionally tall, with very noticeable, striking eyes. I have posted in the old Snape thread that I think Rowling intended to have only the tiniest of things give Snape away-and that mainly concerns his eyes. (There are also little gestures, too- like him "gripping the back of a chair very hard" when discovering that Ginny had been taken to the Chamber in CoS).

And I agree with The Green Woods in saying that Snape and Lucius's friendship must've been very close for Narcissa to even consider asking Snape for help in HBP. I definately don't think Snape approved of their views regarding Muggleborns, but, when around the Malfoys, I think Snape forced himself to bite his tongue on the matter- for fear of blowing his cover and losing one of his only friends once more.

Just my opinion.

Old December 5th, 2010, 11:35 am
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureAuthor13 View Post
Great post, The Green Woods.
Thank you.

Quote:
I definately don't think Snape approved of their views regarding Muggleborns,
This is a very interesting point; while Snape had moved far beyond the days he called Muggleborns Mudblood by the HBP rolled around, nevertheless, I think Snape was one of those people who never judged his friends; he never judged Lily for her comments after the werewolf incident, or even after she broke off with him; she was his friend and so she was accepted as she was; he loved her for what she was, not what he expected her to be; if he thought Lucius Malfoy was his friend, I think Snape would, while making his stance clear on where he stood with Muggleborns (which he would not have with Lucius because he was, from the Malfoy's point of view, batting for their side) he would not judge his friends for what they were; he would simply be friends with them imo. Even if Dumbledore had not asked Snape to help Draco, I still think Snape would have done what he could have to help Lucius, Narcissa and Draco. While he would not have helped them commit crimes of course, I think he would do anything to help his friends, as much as he could.

Quote:
posted by Eliza101
The problem I have with Lucius and Snape being friends is that it is something that is told rather than shown. Is there a single scene in the entire series where we see them together, even doing something as simple as walking down a corridor together apart from when Lucius as a Prefect welcomes Snape to the House table when he is sorted?
While we don't see them together, Narcissa's words to Snape in that circumstance imo reveals that Snape and Lucius had a relationship that would withstand something like what she was asking him to do. That she was there at all with this request; that she expected Snape not only to listen, but to help, is indicative of a level of trust between Lucius and Snape, because she comes taking Lucius's name, beseeching Snape to help the only son of his old friend imo.

The scene where Snape is received by Lucius when Snape joined School, is maybe indicative of a relationship that started at the dining table of the Great Hall on Snape's first day in Hogwarts.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old December 5th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I don't believe he is ever explicitly described as "tall" or "short," which leads me at least to think he was of too ordinary a height for Harry to take special notice.

As to Snape's physical appearance, I think that him having greasy hair, yellow teeth etc was not simply from Harry's point of view- Snape just looked at that. Also, in TPT and SWM, Snape is described as having greasy hair and Rowling herself said that Penseive memories don't have a "Harry filter" on them; in other words, they are not biased accounts of a person.

Snape's more unpleasant side of his appearance leads me to believe that he had very low opinion of himself (in some respects); he hardly had any self esteem due to his past; leading him to simply not caring about what he looked like.

Just my opinion, of course.

Old December 5th, 2010, 9:04 pm
MODLY CREW

I just returned from a weekend trip and had to delete 24!!! posts of speculation about Snape's height. Are you guys kidding me with this? This is Legilimency Studies where we do character analysis! You're very welcome to chat about Snape's goatee in drawings and such in your social groups or The Quidditch Pitch, it should go without saying that it does not belong in LS!

I will have another look at this thread tomorrow morning when I'm not dead tired. But seriously!

Old December 6th, 2010, 5:10 am
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I think Snape was one of those people who never judged his friends; he never judged Lily for her comments after the werewolf incident, or even after she broke off with him;
To be fair, this is merely speculation, we don't know whether Snape did or did not judge Lily regards to those particular instances. The novels, with rare exception, are told via Harry's POV and not Snape's, which does limit what we see/know of other character thoughts/motivations.

Regards the werewolf incident, what did he say to Lily? "You're not going to...I won't let you..." It's up in the air as to what exactly he meant here, of course, but to me hardly engenders the idea of total forgiveness/acceptance/non-judgement of Lily's viewpoint. To me, it appears he's very much at odds with what she has said - not without reason IMO because we "know" he knows more than he is allowed to confide on this particular subject - but to me he's not in agreement Lily's comment, not in acceptance of it either, and there's no signs of forgiving her that particular point of view IMO - just a proffered apology when she'd taken exception to his "I won't let you..." comment.

Did he love her until the day he died? Sure. But then again he also held a deep bitterness, per the author, for Lily's child because the babe was absolute proof that Lily preferred another man to him. And that too does not speak of complete acceptance/forgiveness of Lily - for her choices - to me either.
Pottercast 2007"He [Alan Rickman as Severus Snape] needed to understand, I think, and does completely understand and did completely understand where this bitterness towards this boy, who's living proof of her preference for another man, came from."

Regards to other possible friends, as hinted about Lucius Malfoy, we also don't know how Severus actually viewed him either. I'd say that Dumbledore is numbered among Severus's friends. Just my opinion. But he hardly accepted/forgave or otherwise failed to judge Dumbledore's comments/actions, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
While we don't see them together, Narcissa's words to Snape in that circumstance imo reveals that Snape and Lucius had a relationship that would withstand something like what she was asking him to do. That she was there at all with this request; that she expected Snape not only to listen, but to help, is indicative of a level of trust between Lucius and Snape, because she comes taking Lucius's name, beseeching Snape to help the only son of his old friend imo.
Or it is simply indicative that Narcissa had no one else to turn to in her desperation as she herself confesses to Severus. Her own sister cares not one bit for her plight. Her other sister has been disowned. Her husband is imprisoned and has fallen out of favor with the Dark Lord. Her child, who'd previously liked Snape as his teacher/Head of House, would be under his care and supervision once more at Hogwarts...? Who else could she reasonably turn to? Dumbledore is about the only person I can think of, but she never appears to consider that option, IMO.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References