Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Questions about Animagi v. 2

Old March 28th, 2010, 11:52 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Questions about Animagi v. 2

1. Is there difference between doing it for the first time and doing it later in normal life ?

Hmmm. I dont think so. Once one knows how to transfigure one's self into an animal, im sure one would remember and it wouldnt be too difficult to do it again.

2. Does the transfiguration form got anything to do with one's patronus? Seeing that Mcgonagall is the only one whom we've seen both her trans. Form and her patronus, both were cats.

Yes and no. Yes because i believe that since a Patronus is in fact, a reflection of a person, so is the animal one would transfigure themselves into. But no because it may not always be the same. Say for example, hypothetically, that Snape was an animagus. I really doubt he would be a doe. (he would most likely be a bat.)

3. Does the wizard or the witch have the chance of choosing what form they'd like or it's got something to do with the one's character like the patronus?

No. We see that quite clearly with Pettigrew. I really doubt very seriously he would choose to be a rat when his fellows were much larger animals and much more powerful. Since it was a reflection of the person, Pettigrew wound up as a rat.

4. If you have the choice what form you'd choose? I'd like a snake.
Dog. A dog would very much be a reflection of my personality. I would end up as a dog regardless of if i had a choice. Yeah it would be cool to be something awesome like a Pegasus but alas. I know for certain a dog would be what i would end up as.

5. Is it possible for a werewolf to transfer to something else? Knowing that there was the wizard who transfered to 2 different animals.
What wizard did this? I have not read anything of the sort. As for the werewolf thing, no.

6. Does it differ transfering to an insect and to an animal, meaning is it another type of transfiguration?
Seeing how Rita Skeeter really didnt differ from other animagi we see in the series, i dont think so.

7. What happens if a wizard transformed to an insect and some one accidently crushed it?

Awww that would suck! Anyway, im sure they would probably die or be inflicted very bad injuries.

8. Does the one die if someone attacks him while he's transformed? Like what Bellatrix did.

I really doubt that she was in fact looking out for animagi. I think she killed that fox thinking the noise was an Auror in the bushes watching her. Anyway, im sure they would die and maybe return to human form since the magic is gone.

9. Was it mentioned somewhere in the book that one of these wizards were Animagus's: Dumbledore, Lily, any of the death eaters?
No.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Third Year

Can you become different Animagi's if you please? Our do you have to stick with one animal.

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old March 29th, 2010, 12:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjets4004 View Post
Can you become different Animagi's if you please? Our do you have to stick with one animal.
I don't believe we have a definite answer in either canon or JKR interviews. I doubt that it's possible to change since the original transformation isn't random, but an reflection of the wizard/witch's personality.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old March 29th, 2010, 6:16 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I do wonder whether or not an animagus form can change the way that a patronus can; we know that if a person undergoes a very large change in themselves, their patronus can change form. Would it be the same if they were an animagus?

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old March 29th, 2010, 7:16 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
On the way to Spinner's End Bellatrix kills a fox thinking it was an Auror, but it just turned to be a fox.

There was a flash of green light a yelp, and the fox fell back to the ground, dead.
The second figure turned the over the animal with it's toe.
'Just a fox,' said a woman's voice dismissively from under the hood. 'I thought perhaps an Auror - Cissy wait!'

(HBP, Spinner's End)

So, Bellatrix thought she was killing an Auror who was an animagi. However, she recognises it was just a fox afterwards, so maybe if you kill an Animagi when transformed they transform back into human form.
TT, thank you for clarifying my list of Animagi. What you said is what I meant

What you wrote about reminds me of the old werewolf movies where they would kill the werewolf in it's animal state and then the hunters would all gather around and watch as it changed back into human form. The Animagi may be like that. If anyone would know, it would be Bella

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:36 pm
Sixth Year

1. Is there difference between doing it for the first time and doing it later in normal life ?

I guess its same as apparition. A matter of getting used to it.

2. Does the transfiguration form got anything to do with one's patronus? Seeing that Mcgonagall is the only one whom we've seen both her trans. Form and her patronus, both were cats.

I would assume there was some sort of connection between the two forms. However, its shown that patronus of a wizard can change while animagi form cannot.

3. Does the wizard or the witch have the chance of choosing what form they'd like or it's got something to do with the one's character like the patronus?

I think Jo has mentioned that a wizard cannot choose what form to transform. This is probably why very few wizards become animagi. Its a long, hard and complicated process, where you do not know what the end result might be. Its too much work just to have a "cool" ability. It doesn't have much utility either other than for maybe spying. I'd assume that competent wizards would have other methods to do the same for much less work.

4. If you have the choice what form you'd choose? I'd like a snake.

I'd like to be a dog or an eagle.

5. Is it possible for a werewolf to transfer to something else? Knowing that there was the wizard who transferred to 2 different animals.

I guess it should be possible unless being a werewolf messes up some magical abilities. I can't imagine what would happen if the person is in his animagi state during full moon though. Those are complicated and rare situations.

6. Does it differ transferring to an insect and to an animal, meaning is it another type of transfiguration?

That is hard to say because we don't know the basics of transfiguration. I guess depending upon the animal/creature you are transforming to, there will be something that has to be done differently.

7. What happens if a wizard transformed to an insect and some one accidently crushed it?

Ouch. The person would obviously die unless he is able to transform back and get help quickly.

8. Does the one die if someone attacks him while he's transformed? Like what Bellatrix did.

I'm not sure if Bellatrix thought the fox was an Auror. IMO she heard movement and fired a curse without thinking.
To answer the question, I think a person can die while he is transformed.

9. Was it mentioned somewhere in the book that one of these wizards were Animagus's: Dumbledore, Lily, any of the death eaters?

No, none of them were animagi.

Old September 13th, 2010, 10:32 pm
First Year

Re: Animagus/Patronus, not the same?

Hello, i am new here , i am of the opinion that both the patronus and animagus for a person are same ,,, the only difference between the two is that a patronus can be altered whereas the animagus remains the same .. In Snape's case, i believe his original patronus was not a doe but it got altered to the doe form after lily passed away ..Please correct me if i am wrong ..

Old September 13th, 2010, 11:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Transferred from Little Questions Answered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy89 View Post
Snape's patronus also was altered to the doe, i wonder what his patronus originally was
There's no canon evidence to back this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy89 View Post
Hello, i am new here , i am of the opinion that both the patronus and animagus for a person are same ,,, the only difference between the two is that a patronus can be altered whereas the animagus remains the same .. In Snape's case, i believe his original patronus was not a doe but it got altered to the doe form after lily passed away ..Please correct me if i am wrong ..
It might be argued that his patronus was a doe from the beginning since he did love Lily while they were in school together and continued to love her even after she died. (Or loved the idea of her.) We don't actually know when he learned to cast a patronus; it might not be taught at Hogwarts at all. Lupin only tells Harry that a patronus is advanced magic and Snape doesn't teach it at the appropriate place in his 6th year DADA classes.

-eta-
It's possible that Snape didn't learn to cast a patronus until after Lily's death.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

Last edited by snapes_witch; September 13th, 2010 at 11:46 pm.
Old September 14th, 2010, 5:01 am
Second Year

I know that J.K herself said otherwise, but after thinking about it for a very long time, all the evidence seems to point at Animagus forms as being chosen. At least, it seems so to me. I like to think that you can choose the Animagus form but the mind works in such a way that you subconciously choose an animal form that suits you best. For example, rich and regal people would most likely choose something refined, egotistical people would choose something big and powerful, modest people would choose something less flashy etc.

Considering the incredible range of animals that symbolize certain traits, it just seems too perfect that the Marauders (or other characters) got really convenient forms. What if they ended up getting animals that weren't native to the U.K? For example, say some character had a bright and colourful personality, thus changed into a Toucan. It would look highly suspicious if you saw one flying around in the U.K, as they're not native birds. What if someone changed into a kangaroo in a country that's not Australia?

I like to think that Animagus and Patronus forms are different (sorry J.K!); The Patronus representing you from deep within, symbolizing what makes you happiest, and the Animagus form as being a reflection of yourself in the way you are in life.

Favourite Subject: Charms
Quidditch Position: Keeper
Patronus: Polar Bear
Pottermore: Ravenclaw / 14 and 1/2'', Hornbeam, Unicorn Hair, Solid

Last edited by Melissa_Potter; September 14th, 2010 at 6:07 am.
Old September 14th, 2010, 5:31 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Unfortunately, as JK always seems so happy to point out, it is her world, and if she says something is so, it is so, no matter how likely it seems to be wrong. Just think of it as if it had been written into the books. JK's saying that there is no choice in your animagus is the hardest piece of "evidence" that you will ever find. It is like a confession in a criminal trial.

I don't think there is any need to apologize about thinking that an Animagus form and Patronus can be different, as this would certainly happen if and Animagus had their Patronus change.

If you could point at any one of the three Animagus Marauders and suggest that their Animagus form is wrong, which would you choose? While it is arguable that the animal forms adopted are indeed convenient, I don't think you can argue that the forms don't reflect the Marauders themselves. It does raise an interesting point though, granted. Imagine turning into a snail. What a waste of time that would be!

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old September 14th, 2010, 2:45 pm
First Year

I read a fanfic that had a explantion to this that I liked. The story said that your patronous was the face that you wanted to show to the world where as your anamagius is more of your innermost self. Just a thought.

Old September 14th, 2010, 10:33 pm
Fifth Year

Snape's patronus was probably always a doe. He loved Lily all his life so even if he could conjure one as a youth, i believe it would have been a doe then. If he were an Animagus, a bat or raven would have been very fitting. Raven especially. Always watching...

Quote:
f you could point at any one of the three Animagus Marauders and suggest that their Animagus form is wrong, which would you choose?
None really. All of them fit.
James the Stag. Hes really self confident and in charge. Often, stags are referred to as being "kings" of the forest. Stags also tend to lead a herd and James was the leader of the Marauders.

Sirius the Dog. Well his name is clue enough. The Dog Star Sirius. Also hes incredibly loyal and mischievous! He doesnt like to sit still and dogs usually dont.

Peter the Rat. Rats move as one. Peter seemed to never make his own decisions and moved with his group. He always had the rat pack mentality. Move as one, have the strongest protect you. Plus rats are really sneaky (or known to be) and thought of as disease carriers. Often shunned and stepped on. he also rats out the Potters.

Patronuses seem to reflect what people are and what they truly love. Tonks's patronus changed when she fell for Lupin. It changed into a werewolf. I wonder what it was before...

I heard somewhere that most Death Eaters cannot produce patronuses. i wonder why that is?

Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old September 15th, 2010, 12:31 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Transferred from Little Questions Answered:

There's no canon evidence to back this up.

It might be argued that his patronus was a doe from the beginning since he did love Lily while they were in school together and continued to love her even after she died. (Or loved the idea of her.) We don't actually know when he learned to cast a patronus; it might not be taught at Hogwarts at all. Lupin only tells Harry that a patronus is advanced magic and Snape doesn't teach it at the appropriate place in his 6th year DADA classes.

-eta-
It's possible that Snape didn't learn to cast a patronus until after Lily's death.

thanks a lot for explaining ,,,,,,,,it was Dumbledore's quote that made me think that snape's patronus altered.His quote from deathly hallows, "After all this time?",,,,,it sounded like dumbledore was surprised that snape's patronus has not changed after 17 years indicating that he still has not got over lily.And Snape's reply to this,"Always".I presumed this meant that his patronus would never take up its original form again because he can never forgive himself for what he had done to her (informing Voldy about the Godric's Hollow)....This is how i interpreted when i read the book,,,it could be wrong,,,,,just wanted to share here..

Old September 15th, 2010, 2:35 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
I heard somewhere that most Death Eaters cannot produce patronuses. i wonder why that is?
First, IIRC, it was that DEs couldn't use patronuses as messengers (something DD taught the Order), but later in the books they couldn't cast one at all. Obviously though evil, nasty people can because Umbridge does.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old September 15th, 2010, 2:39 am
Fourth Year

I didnt take it as they COULDNT but more they didnt need to because the Dementors didn't really affect them [considering the dementors were on the DE's side].

COS

Pottermore
Old September 15th, 2010, 3:58 am
Fifth Year

I could understand Voldy not being able to conjure a patronus because like, hes barely got a soul, but the others...
Although im certain Lucius Malfoy's would have been a peacock...
Quote:
I didnt take it as they COULDNT but more they didnt need to because the Dementors didn't really affect them [considering the dementors were on the DE's side].
Im pretty sure the dementors did effect them, they just didnt get that close to them. We see some nasty people in DH interrogating the muggleborns, and i think one of them was a Death Eater. Only Umbridge had her cat patronuses patrolling keeping the dementors at bay. (She did this to keep them at bay from both the victims and the people interrogating them.)

Old September 15th, 2010, 6:34 am
Sixth Year

Patronus- A Patronus is how you view yourself. And a corpreal Patronus (the animal form) takes on the same best traits that you have. It also could represent what you view as hope-for most people, it would be their loved ones. (James for Harry, Lily for Snape, Lupin for Tonks.)

Animagus- Animagi is you in general. The animal that you turn into encompasses all your personality traits-good or bad. (Patronus are the good side of you.) I don't think Animagi can choose to be the animal. Would Peter really have chosen to become a rat? I don't think so. Neither would James, who seems to me a bit cocky (Okay, very cocky), choose to be a stag. He would prefer to be something stronger, like a lion or a bear. There is no choice, IMO. The animal you turn to encompasses ALL your traits. I have no idea what I would be though.

A Death Eater cannot produce a Patronus, because the Dementors are on their side. You wouldn't want to kill your own comrade, would you?

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old September 15th, 2010, 7:43 am
Ordo Lebes

I think an animagus is just an animal representation of your true nature. It's unchanging. James, Sirius, Peter, Rita, and McGonagall all turn into animals that represent them in some way.

A patronus is a representation of something that you hold dear, the thing that brings you the most joy in your life, since it's the strongest force against the depression and fear that the Dementors spread.

The thing I find curious is, why did Snape's patronus become a doe? Was a doe the true representation of Lily? Would that have been her animagus form had she attempted the transformation? Or was it only a doe after Lily fell in love with James, thus making her patronus a doe to match James's stag?

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old September 15th, 2010, 12:34 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
I think an animagus is just an animal representation of your true nature. It's unchanging. James, Sirius, Peter, Rita, and McGonagall all turn into animals that represent them in some way.

A patronus is a representation of something that you hold dear, the thing that brings you the most joy in your life, since it's the strongest force against the depression and fear that the Dementors spread.

The thing I find curious is, why did Snape's patronus become a doe? Was a doe the true representation of Lily? Would that have been her animagus form had she attempted the transformation? Or was it only a doe after Lily fell in love with James, thus making her patronus a doe to match James's stag?
There is no cannon proof if snape's patronus was always a doe or it became a doe.... i am assuming it became a doe after lily passed away because he was emotionally affected when he realised that he was responsible for her death.......

As for lily's doe, i am assuming it was always a doe indicating that she was destined for James whose patronus is a stag..i believe patronuses in some cases can foreshadow your partner..

Also, hermione's patronus is an otter....the otter and the weasel are related as they belong to the same family..maybe this foreshadows that she would become a member of the Weasley family ... just a thought

Also, hermione's patronus is an otter....the otter and the weasel are related as they belong to the same family..maybe this foreshadows that she would become a member of the Weasley family ... just a thought

Old September 29th, 2010, 1:59 am
First Year

um this is, is just a thought because i know tonks is a metamorphimagas but it says in one of the books that she changed her patronus (dont remember which one) so i really dont think that patronus' and animagi are the same thing

House: Hufflepuff, Wand: Rosewood with Phoenix Feather, Quidditch Position: Chaser, Animagus: Dog, Patronus: Horse
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak