Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Questions about Animagi v. 2

Old March 12th, 2010, 5:39 pm
First Year

Why all Animagi turn into non-magical animals

My sis first pointed this out to me. Ever noticed there are no Animagus Hippogriffs or, what would be mighty useful to that particular Animagus, threstals? I mean, why wouldn't wizards want to turn into - say - a phoenix, rather than... a beetle? Maybe the kind of animal you turn into isn't upto you at all, just depends on your personality or whatever... I would think Rita Skeeter is definitely insectish and McGonagall cat-like (??!! that reminds me of Mrs. Norris, and McGonagall is SO not like her!!)... Sirius as a faithful dog, James as a brave stag, Pettigrew as a rat... definitely.... now I come to think of it, how do you become an animagus anyway? Jo never talks about the process, does she? Except that it was incredibly difficult and Padfoot, Prongs and Wormtail achieved it by their 5th year after years of hard work (Snuffles/Lupin tells Harry, Ron and Hermione this in the Shrieking Shack)...

Last edited by WeasleKing; March 13th, 2010 at 7:46 am. Reason: Removed the Lily/James/Snape question, seemed to annoy a few people...
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2010, 7:40 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Why all Animagi turn into non-magical animals

Quote:
and McGonagall cat-like (??!! that reminds me of Mrs. Norris, and McGonagall is SO not like her!!)
Why? There are about 1 billion cats in the world. Why would McGonagall's animagus form necessarily remind you of Mrs. Norris?

I don't know if it is stated outright, but I think it is clear that you don't choose your animagus form. They are reflective of your personality. All the animagus forms are heavily symbolic animals. As you said, dogs symbolize loyalty, which explains Sirius's animagus, rats symbolize treachery ("I smell a rat") and stags I guess are quite a noble animal. I'm not sure what exactly they symbolize though.

Quote:
Another question I've been meaning to ask - if you were Lily, would you choose James or Snape?
There's a thread for that question.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old March 12th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Hello and to the forums!

You might want to read the thread Snape Threads: Post DH; we don't allow new discussions about Severus Snape. You might be interested in the following threads, should you wish to discuss him:
Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.14
Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Also at this time, we don't allow discussions about Snape and any of the Marauders because the debate often turns a bit vitriolic. So please be sure to only post about Snape and Lily in their joint character analysis thread, and not James.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old March 12th, 2010, 8:02 pm
Malum Veneficus

Here's what Jo said about that

Jo on Animagi Does the animal one turns into reflect your personality?

Very well deduced Narri! I personally would like to think that I would transform into an otter, which is my favourite animal. Imagine how horrible it would be if I turned out to be a cockroach!

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/...0-aol-chat.htm

So apparently, you don't get to choose whatever form you'd take. . It's based upon one's personality.

Didn't we have a thread about Animagi, btw?

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old March 12th, 2010, 8:08 pm
Oracle Octopus

Like everyone has pointed out that you don't get to choose your Animagus form, but to answer the question as to why the animagus you turn into are all non-magical, I think it is solely because the personality of the person in question can't be like that of a magical creature, for they don't have a single distinctive trait, like that of a dog (loyalty being the distinctive trait). In case of Phoenix, it has so many elements in itself. So for a person to have an animagus form of a Phoenix his/her personality has to be that diverse and I don't think anyone has such vibrant personality traits embedded deeply. However a wizard like Dumbledore might manage to be up to that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Didn't we have a thread about Animagi, btw?
You are talking about this thread--->Questions about Animagi v. 2

Last edited by mysterious; March 12th, 2010 at 8:13 pm.
Old March 12th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreedlover View Post
I don't know if it is stated outright, but I think it is clear that you don't choose your animagus form. They are reflective of your personality. All the animagus forms are heavily symbolic animals. As you said, dogs symbolize loyalty, which explains Sirius's animagus, rats symbolize treachery ("I smell a rat") and stags I guess are quite a noble animal. I'm not sure what exactly they symbolize though.
Maybe they symbolize... nobility haha j/k I thought that was funny.

TBH I think one of the questions the OP brought up was very interesting -- why does it seem that Animagi only turn into non-magical animals? I think the other question was firmly answered though, no one decides what their form will be.

So as for the former question, I always assumed that it was kind of like Narnia in a way.. you know how there are intelligent animals vs regular ones? It seems like in the HP world the magical animals have a certain level of higher intelligence often, moreso than a regular animal. Someone could disagree because its never clearly stated that way -- but I kind of see it that way for some reason. I think its mainly because of Crookshanks and how intelligent he was compared to a common cat, where I mainly got that idea from. (also the thestrals and hippogryphs seem to clearly understand human speech & directions etc, the thestrals knew where to go when Harry told them to take them to the ministry of magic. And owls know where to find ppl even when the sender doesn't know where they are) I just feel like it makes sense because those magical animals are already filled with intelligence, and wouldn't make a good housing for a human mind.

Now, I'm not trying to say that an actual physical animal was taken and made into the animagus form and now James/Sirius/Peter or whoever is possessing it... but it just seems to have this certain correlation I guess I sorta feel like a magical animal who is actually a human transformed would have too much duality. They almost already seem nearly as intelligent as our own species.

I also think it would be easier for them to hide just about anywhere if they were a normal animal lol. That could just be a big factor too.

(edit: I could move all this to the animagus thread if needed)

Old March 12th, 2010, 8:13 pm
Fourth Year

I always thought that you don't choose what animal you turn into, so maybe some wizards do turn into magical animals and we just don't see it. I got the impression that a wizards animagus form would be the same as their patronus (obviously unless the patronus changed, I don't think your animagus form would as well - it'd just stick with the original). JKR has never talked about the actual process as far as I know though, it'd be interesting to know how you do it.

Why does a cat remind you of Mrs Norris? Aren't cats supposed to be independant, and that fits in with McGonagall's personality IMO.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old March 13th, 2010, 7:45 am
First Year

I didn't mean McGonagall as a cat reminds me of Mrs. Norris, just that the phrase 'cat-like' reminds me of Mrs. Norris, and I'd never think of McGonagall as 'cat-like' - you know, a stealthy, prowling type of person.

Old March 13th, 2010, 9:12 am
Fifth Year

I got the idea that being animagus gives you the ability to desguise yourself everywhere also in the muggle world so becoming a magical creature would undermine that or perhaps its not possible to turn into something magical.Would be hilarious if Hermione would become a house-elf although thats not an animal so probably not possible

Old March 13th, 2010, 9:29 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

We only know of a dozen or so Animagi in the entire series, and six of those are unnamed. That doesn't rule out the possibility that a witch/wizard can transform into a magical creature, if it's the animal which most suits them.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old March 13th, 2010, 10:35 am
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
You are talking about this thread--->Questions about Animagi v. 2
Merged.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old March 28th, 2010, 1:55 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Re: Questions about Animagi v. 2

1. Is there difference between doing it for the first time and doing it later in normal life ?
Possibly, like other accidental magic, a young wizard can transfigure themselves. But, I think later on they have to have really practiced it. I've always wondered why it wasn't taught in transfiguration. Maybe not everyone can do it.

2. Does the transfiguration form got anything to do with one's patronus? Seeing that Mcgonagall is the only one whom we've seen both her trans. Form and her patronus, both were cats.

My guess is they would be the same, as each is a reflection of the witch or wizard.

3. Does the wizard or the witch have the chance of choosing what form they'd like or it's got something to do with the one's character like the patronus?

As in question 2, I think it is a reflection of the inner person of the witch or wizard, and, you don't know what it's going to be until you transfigure. Wouldn't it be a surprise if one transfigured into a slug? Yuk!

4. If you have the choice what form you'd choose? I'd like a snake.

A unicorn or a phoenix. Either one would be neat.

5. Is it possible for a werewolf to transfer to something else? Knowing that there was the wizard who transfered to 2 different animals.

I don't think so. I think the "infection" of being a werewolf would affect the ability to transfigure. But, Lupin could cast a patronus, so, maybe he could have transfigured if he'd tried. But, since he was already an animal several days a month, I guess he might not have been interested in intentionally turning himself into an animal.

6. Does it differ transfering to an insect and to an animal, meaning is it another type of transfiguration?

I don't think so, since Rita Skeeter was a beetle. Wonder what that says for her "inner person" if the Animagus form reflects that. Look at Wormtail.

7. What happens if a wizard transformed to an insect and some one accidently crushed it?

I would think the witch or wizard would be dead no matter what type of Animagus they transfigured into. If one was killed in Aminagus form, it seems their human form would be dead as well.

8. Does the one die if someone attacks him while he's transformed? Like what Bellatrix did.

See #8

9. Was it mentioned somewhere in the book that one of these wizards were Animagus's: Dumbledore, Lily, any of the death eaters? Not that I remember. None of them are listed as registered, but, there are six that are listed as "unknown" the the HP Lexicon.l

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old March 28th, 2010, 1:59 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opening Questions
Knowing that there was the wizard who transfered to 2 different animals.
I'm confused. Who was able to transfer into 2 different animals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
9. Was it mentioned somewhere in the book that one of these wizards were Animagus's: Dumbledore, Lily, any of the death eaters? Not that I remember. None of them are listed as registered, but, there are six that are listed as "unknown" the the HP Lexicon.l
Wait, so we have James, Sirius, Peter, Remus, Rita and who else? Who's the sixth Animagus?

The End of the Dream.
Old March 28th, 2010, 2:55 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat
Wait, so we have James, Sirius, Peter, Remus, Rita and who else? Who's the sixth Animagus?
I think MinervasCat means that there are 6 "unknown" registered animagi. Which makes 7 registered animagi including McGonagall.

'...I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register and there have been only seven Animagi this century and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list -'(Hermione, PoA, Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs)

Old March 28th, 2010, 12:02 pm
Second Year

Quote:
8. Does the one die if someone attacks him while he's transformed? Like what Bellatrix did.
What did Bellatrix do? I can't remember anything she did to an Animagi... :/

"You're joking, Perce! You actually are joking.... I don’t think I’ve heard you joke since you were –" The air exploded.

"And Percy was shaking his brother, and Ron was kneeling beside them, and Fred's eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face."

Proud Gryffindor
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius_Weasley View Post
What did Bellatrix do? I can't remember anything she did to an Animagi... :/
On the way to Spinner's End Bellatrix kills a fox thinking it was an Auror, but it just turned to be a fox.

There was a flash of green light a yelp, and the fox fell back to the ground, dead.
The second figure turned the over the animal with it's toe.
'Just a fox,' said a woman's voice dismissively from under the hood. 'I thought perhaps an Auror - Cissy wait!'

(HBP, Spinner's End)

So, Bellatrix thought she was killing an Auror who was an animagi. However, she recognises it was just a fox afterwards, so maybe if you kill an Animagi when transformed they transform back into human form.

Old March 28th, 2010, 4:11 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
On the way to Spinner's End Bellatrix kills a fox thinking it was an Auror, but it just turned to be a fox.

There was a flash of green light a yelp, and the fox fell back to the ground, dead.
The second figure turned the over the animal with it's toe.
'Just a fox,' said a woman's voice dismissively from under the hood. 'I thought perhaps an Auror - Cissy wait!'

(HBP, Spinner's End)

So, Bellatrix thought she was killing an Auror who was an animagi. However, she recognises it was just a fox afterwards, so maybe if you kill an Animagi when transformed they transform back into human form.
I always thought that meant that Bellatrix had seen or heard something move in the bushes, and thinking it was an Auror, killed it, but it turned out to be a fox

1. Is there difference between doing it for the first time and doing it later in normal life ?

I don't think so, maybe the first time is harder because you're not sure what you're going to turn into but apart from that I think it'd be the same, just easier as you got more practise.

2. Does the transfiguration form got anything to do with one's patronus? Seeing that Mcgonagall is the only one whom we've seen both her trans. Form and her patronus, both were cats.

I think so, yes. Both are a reflection of your personality, the only difference is your patronus can change, but I think your animagus form would stay the same. We also hear that James' animagus form was a stag and I'm guessing that his patronus was as well, because Lily's was a doe.

3. Does the wizard or the witch have the chance of choosing what form they'd like or it's got something to do with the one's character like the patronus?

No, I don't think you have a choice, see above.

4. If you have the choice what form you'd choose? I'd like a snake.

Some sort of bird probably, it'd be cool to be able to fly. If not then either a dog, fox or cat.

5. Is it possible for a werewolf to transfer to something else? Knowing that there was the wizard who transfered to 2 different animals.

Who turned into two different animals? But I think a werewolf could be an animagus too, maybe they just wouldn't want to because they already unwillingly turn into an animal at the full moon

6. Does it differ transfering to an insect and to an animal, meaning is it another type of transfiguration?

No, I don't think it is. Insects are animals too, animagus forms are just a reflection of your personality so if you were irritating then you'd probably turn into some sort of insect (like Rita Skeeter )

7. What happens if a wizard transformed to an insect and some one accidently crushed it?

They'd most likely die, unless being stood on didn't kill the animagus straight away, they transformed back and then got to a hospital in time. I'm pretty sure being squashed would leave you with serious internal injuries.

Yep, I think being killed while in your animagus form would kill you. It'd make finding your body kind of hard though.

9. Was it mentioned somewhere in the book that one of these wizards were Animagus's: Dumbledore, Lily, any of the death eaters?

They could be, and just not registered. Or one of the death eaters could be an unknown that was on the list.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old March 28th, 2010, 4:29 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
That's an interesting possibility. In a way, it makes sense that if an animagus is killed in animagi form, s/he would morph back into their human form because their death would represent the end of the animagus spell. So it stands to reason (at least in my mind) that a person killed in animagus form would revert back to their human self after death. In regards to the situation with Bellatrix and the fox, I think she could have realized she'd only killed a fox because when she looked, it wasn't a person and furthermore, it wasn't a person disguised as an animagus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
4. If you have the choice what form you'd choose?
I’m not sure, but I know I wouldn’t want to be a rat or a skunk or something!
Looking back at my answer from over a year ago, I'd now have to change it. I'd love to be an albatross animagus.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old March 28th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I always thought that meant that Bellatrix had seen or heard something move in the bushes, and thinking it was an Auror, killed it, but it turned out to be a fox
That could be so! Hmm..as the fox had emerged from it's hiding place and was running up the riverbank when Bellatrix AK'ed it, she may or may not have recognised it as a fox before killing it. So, I suppose it could be either way.

Old March 28th, 2010, 5:54 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
But, Lupin could cast a patronus, so, maybe he could have transfigured if he'd tried. But, since he was already an animal several days a month, I guess he might not have been interested in intentionally turning himself into an animal.
I don't think the ability to produce a patronus is related to one's ability to transfigure. . Its true that both the form of Animagus and patronus may reflect one's personality, but I don't think the ability to do one means the ability to do the other.
I also think that having werewolf infection, prevents other transformations. .

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak