Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Herpo the Foul

Old October 4th, 2009, 8:40 pm
Sixth Year

Herpo the Foul

How come Herpo is not the worst Dark Wizard ? I mean he created the basilisk and found out how to make a horcrux.

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:51 pm
Eldest Gruff

Re: Herpo the Foul

While he likely was among the most evil wizards I think many humans tend to see those as 'most evil' (or most fascinating), who are close. So JK seems to have given her characters this regular opinion whenever they claim Voldemort had been the darkest wizard.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:56 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
While he likely was among the most evil wizards I think many humans tend to see those as 'most evil' (or most fascinating), who are close. So JK seems to have given her characters this regular opinion whenever they claim Voldemort had been the darkest wizard.

I agree, that people would have considered Voldemort the most evil as his actions would have had a direct impact on their lives and on those close to him.

Another factor, his invention/discovery of making horcruxes - many wizards and witches did not seem to know what these were - so the knowledge of Herpo having invented them would not be widely known.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old October 6th, 2009, 1:02 am
She Who Walks Behind

Also just because he invented them doesn't mean that he used them in a way Voldemort did, with so much impact that a whole wizard word is fearing him. There are different stages of evil and Voldemort was probably the tip of the iceberg. So it makes sense that people refer to him as evilest wizard. And for the reasons that were mentioned above.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 6th, 2009, 1:45 am
Fourth Year

This is a little off topic, but where in the series is Herpo mentioned? Reading this thread is the first time I have heard of him and I just finished re-reading the series yet again.

-JR

Just & Loyal
Old October 6th, 2009, 1:47 am
Third Year

It was probably because Voldemort was evil in a way that hurt other people and left them in universal terror. Herpo the Foul is not known to have used his dark creations on any other being, nor spark a war like campaign against the Ministry and ordinary civilians.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old October 6th, 2009, 2:38 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR637 View Post
This is a little off topic, but where in the series is Herpo mentioned? Reading this thread is the first time I have heard of him and I just finished re-reading the series yet again.

-JR
I was just wondering that myself. Was it mentioned in Fantastic Beasts? Because I have read that and I don't really remember the name.

Old October 6th, 2009, 3:32 am
Third Year

I think it may have been in DH No certainties though............................

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old October 6th, 2009, 5:57 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
How come Herpo is not the worst Dark Wizard ? I mean he created the basilisk and found out how to make a horcrux.
Well, the act of creating a horcrux is really more misguided than atrocious...what's bad is the splitting-the-soul-by-murdering-someone part. So Herpo's invention is arguably not as evil as the murder that is done to make it possible. And since Voldemort made 8 horcruxes, he murdered at least 8 times, although realistically, we know it was more often than that. His soul was in absolute tatters by the time he died.

As for Herpo creating the basilisk, it's not said (that I know of) what the circumstances of that creation were--it's possible that he never intended to make such a dark creature, he may have just been experimenting in the same way that Hagrid experimented to make the skrewts.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Herpo the Foul isn't in the books - whoops I take it back, he is in Fantastic Beasts under "Basilisk."

He is on one of the Chocolate Frog Cards put out by Wizards of the Coast a long time ago. Herpo is also shown in one of the HP video games, but I don't know which one.

Herpo the Foul

I checked the list of Wizards of the Month on JKR's site but he's not on it.

The only place I can find that he is mentioned is in the Pottercast interview JKR did with Leaky Cauldron:

Link

Quote:
SU: Oh, Jo, but those "horcruxes", though, I tell you, they're so much to ask still about those, you know?... I mean, who, okay, we have to know. Who created the first Horcrux? Was it Grindelwald? Salazar? Who did that?

JKR: D'you know what, I've got a feeling it was Herpo, which is H-E-R-P-O.

SU: Herpo the Foul?

JKR: ... Herpo the Foul, exactly, yeah. Yeah. But you know wizards would've been looking for ways to do exactly what Voldemort did for years, and some of the ways they would've tried would've killed them, so I imagine it... well, there's huge parallels. Splitting the atom would be a very good parallel in our world. Something that people imagined might be able to be done, but couldn't quite bring it off, and then... and then people started doing it with sometimes catastrophic effects. So that's how I see the Horcrux.

SU: Right, because you said that Tom Riddle said there would've been, or Dumbledore did, somebody said that there was only one person--

MA: Slughorn.

(overtalk)

JKR: Yeah, but I would imagine that other people, you know, other people are going to have tried. I think it would be naive not to think that people have been trying for a long time, and thought they succeeded and hadn't, or else, or else you know maim themselves or kill themselves in the attempt. It's such a dangerous thing to do.

SU: Oh. Evil thing. You know, just...

JKR: Yeah.

MA: What is the process? Do you-- Is there a spell? Is there a-- What do you have to do?

JKR: I see it as a series of things you would have to do. So you would have to perform a spell. But you would also-- I don't even know if I want to say it out loud, I know that sounds funny. But I did really think it through. There are two things that I think are too horrible, actually, to go into detail about. One of them is how Pettigrew brought Voldemort back into a rudimentary body. 'Cause I told my editor what I thought happened there, and she looked as though she was gonna vomit. And then-- and the other thing is, how you make a Horcrux. And I don't even like-- I don't know. Will it be in the Encyclopedia? I don't know if I can bring myself to, ummm... I don't know.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon

Last edited by silver ink pot; October 6th, 2009 at 12:39 pm.
Old October 6th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Eldest Gruff

Yep, he isn't in the series. That's why, I assume, the thread starter put the discussion under The Cloak to get a more general discussion.

To me Herpo is a random figure able to show why and how wizards could count as evil or not. As said above I believe it's reason enough that people don't know him (characters and fans likewise) that Herpo doesn't count as darkest wizard within the times the books of JK cover.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 6th, 2009, 3:21 pm
Sixth Year

I've never even heard of Herpo until now. But I agree that Voldemort is even darker with what he did with the Horcruxes. I don't know if Herpo would have done that or not.

Old October 6th, 2009, 3:50 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
He is on one of the Chocolate Frog Cards put out by Wizards of the Coast a long time ago. Herpo is also shown in one of the HP video games, but I don't know which one.
If he is on a Chocolate Frog card, doesn't that mean he's actually considred as a good wizard?

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old October 7th, 2009, 2:06 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
If he is on a Chocolate Frog card, doesn't that mean he's actually considred as a good wizard?
Chocolate Frog cards, as I understand them, portray wizards of exceptional magical ability without regard to morality, so if you mean "good wizard" as "skilled or competent wizard" then yes, but if you mean it as "morally correct wizard" then no.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old October 8th, 2009, 9:12 pm
Sixth Year

Well, since you have to kill someone to create a horcrux, I guess we can safely say that Herpo killed at least one person. Also, JKR says that the procedure to create horcrux is quite horrible. I think that its highly probable that Herpo tried a lot of things before he hit upon the exact procedure to do it. If he was experimenting, I'd have thought that he'd have left a trail of very nasty incidents at the very least.

I guess Voldemort and Grindelwald were on top of the list because of the number of people that were affected by them.

Old November 13th, 2011, 5:45 am
First Year

As mentioned, Herpo the Foul is on a Chocolate Frog card.
IMHO, it's ironic that he created the first Horcrux ever, and also
one of the few ways (the basilisk fang), to destroy one.

But yes, Grindelwald and You know Who, are considered worse.
In fact you could also add Salazar Slytherin to the list.

Old November 29th, 2011, 4:54 am
Second Year

If I am not mistaken, wasn't he mentioned in Dumbledore's notes on the Tale of Three Brothers in The Tales of Beedle the Bard? Wasn't he the author of Majik Moste Evile?

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Old November 29th, 2011, 8:31 am
First Year

Well, we could consider real life examples. Someone like Genghis Khan, who was atrocious and barbaric and compare him to Hitler, Stalin or Mao. Most people would still consider Hitler to be worse than Stalin or Mao, even though the latter were just as ruthless and blood thirsty as the former.

I think it's a matter of subjective perception. Grindenwald would probably not have been feared in Britain, since he never attempted take over of the British Isles (fearing Dumbledore). While he killed, maimed, destroyed and tried to take as much control 'for the good' as he could on the continent. So undoubtedly in Europe, he would probably have been seen as more closely matched to Voldemort than Voldemort and Grindenwald were in Britain.

Another potential reason as to why he wasn't viewed as the most evil. Gellert did resort to attempting a take over of the continent, using an army of inferi (he did not create horcruxes to ensure that he would live forever and likely maim and disfigure himself the way that Voldemort did, which undoubtedly made Voldemort that much more feared, because unlike Grindenwald who remained handsome, he became an ugly humanoid shell).

Whether or not he felt true remorse is anyone's guess although he seemed to have come to terms with some parts of his evil past, to the point that he didn't want Voldemort to desecrate Dumbledore's tomb. Whether it was because he respected Dumbledore or he felt guilty for the lost love/friendship they had shared for a brief summer can only really be answered by J.K..

Last edited by Pan_Kleks; November 29th, 2011 at 8:55 am.
Old November 29th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Second Year

I'm pretty sure that he is on the chocolate frog cards in CoS video game, since that was the one introducing basilisks. I'll have to go and check. The fact tyat he invented something doesn't make him evil. Many inventors meant their creations to be used one way, but it ends up people use it for another reason. All depends on what his purpose was.

Old November 30th, 2011, 3:00 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimeldaDursley View Post
If I am not mistaken, wasn't he mentioned in Dumbledore's notes on the Tale of Three Brothers in The Tales of Beedle the Bard? Wasn't he the author of Majik Moste Evile?
Whoops! I need to correct myself. This guy named Godelot wrote that.

Now where in the world did I see Herpo the Foul?

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak