Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3



 
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 6:20 pm
boushh's Avatar
boushh  Female.gif boushh is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4402 days
Location: Back in Sev's Corner
Age: 47
Posts: 2,557
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
Why do the good deeds outweigh the bad ones?
They outweigh them for me because they happen after his supposed bad deeds. How is one supposed to change for the better if their good deeds don't count?

As I said, what we know of Snape is that he joined the DEs and he was a spy for Voldemort. We know that he managed to get out of getting his hands dirty for the DE cause... he "watched people die" he did not kill, he at one time felt wizards were better than muggles and was brainwashed into following the party line about muggleborns, and he was mean teacher. He delivered the prophecy to Voldemort and was partially responsible for the deaths of James and Lily. He was indifferent at one time towards the lives of other people.

The only thing that applies to the adult Snape that we see for the majority of the series is that he was a mean teacher. He put his life on the line time and time again for the good side for approximately 17 years. Yes, at first it was to protect Harry, but it became more than that since he set that aside to work for the good of the WW rather than just in the name of protecting Harry for Lily's sake. I think gradually he became a better man who returned to the good side.

Quote:
I just feel that including Snape in the tier of "good" people along with Harry, Lily, Hermione, Ron, and others lessens the meaning of "good".
I don't agree. And I don't have much more time to spend on this discussion at this time. I said all I need to say for now.


Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 6:23 pm
giftedkid527  Male.gif giftedkid527 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3388 days
Location: Southern US
Posts: 185
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
I disagree.Charity being at Malfoy Mansion had nothing to do with Snape and he did not kill her, that was all Voldemort's doing. If Snape had in anyway attempted to save her, both of them would most certainly have been killed. This would have left the Carrows full reign at Hogwarts and more importantly, Harry would never have received the message that he had to die in order to finish Voldemort. Under the circumstances Snape did the right thing, imo.




As I see, it this being a work of fiction all that we have is in the books. Therfore, if JKR didn't write about it it never happened.
Snape could easily have grabbed her, and disapparated. No sweat. He could easily have stuck up for the students at hogwarts, no sweat. He chose not to, however, "for the greater good", a statement that is plastered over the door of a dark wizard that Dumbledore defeated, whose ideology he dismissed. Killing Voldemort was necessary, and needed to be done, but lets not pretend that his death excuses all of the innocent sacrifices that could've been stopped.


  #63  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 6:23 pm
ignisia's Avatar
ignisia  Female.gif ignisia is offline
Leader of the GLITTELUTION
 
Joined: 5021 days
Location: Sitting in a Tin Can
Age: 31
Posts: 4,418
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
If Snape found out about the DA in OOTP (I think it was likely that Dumbledore would've told him before leaving Hogwarts), what do you think his reaction would be to the idea? Do you think that he would be pleased/satisfied that students were trying to rise up against Umbridge (whom, in my opinion, he disliked very much) or do you think he would've thought that Harry was trying to get attention, and compared the boy with James again?
Well, I think both scenarios could occur at once, although I'd think what would please Snape most about the DA was the fact that the kids were choosing to learn outside of class in order to survive the coming war. It probably made keeping them safe a lot easier.


I don't wish to touch upon the subject too much, but I think that TPT gives us the information we can to fill in the blanks with regard to how Snape felt about the events of DH and why he acted as he did, and Harry's words to Al in the Epilogue give us his interpretation of these events and others at the close of the 7-book series.


__________________
I am incapable of hating someone who, instead of using a spell to guard the Sorcerer's Stone, uses a logic puzzle.
I'm sorry.



VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Avatar by SIP

Last edited by ignisia; December 3rd, 2010 at 6:27 pm.
  #64  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 6:25 pm
giftedkid527  Male.gif giftedkid527 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3388 days
Location: Southern US
Posts: 185
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh View Post
They outweigh them for me because they happen after his supposed bad deeds. How is one supposed to change for the better if their good deeds don't count?

As I said, what we know of Snape is that he joined the DEs and he was a spy for Voldemort. We know that he managed to get out of getting his hands dirty for the DE cause... he "watched people die" he did not kill, he at one time felt wizards were better than muggles and was brainwashed into following the party line about muggleborns, and he was mean teacher. He delivered the prophecy to Voldemort and was partially responsible for the deaths of James and Lily. He was indifferent at one time towards the lives of other people.

The only thing that applies to the adult Snape that we see for the majority of the series is that he was a mean teacher. He put his life on the line time and time again for the good side for approximately 17 years. Yes, at first it was to protect Harry, but it became more than that since he set that aside to work for the good of the WW rather than just in the name of protecting Harry for Lily's sake. I think gradually he became a better man who returned to the good side.



I don't agree. And I don't have much more time to spend on this discussion at this time. I said all I need to say for now.
I'm not saying someone can't change. I'm just saying that when we are looking at Snape, the person, we are looking at the body of work for judgement, not just the last 10 years of his life. The good deeds count, but why do the bad ones disappear? If you were having a draft for "guys you'd've wanted to meet when they turned 10, and whom you'd've wanted to be best-friends with for the remainder of their lives", I think Snape would come in wayyyy far down, because of the time from age 11 to age 22.

"Brainwashed" into thinking muggleborns weren't as good? Would you, then, agree that Voldemort was likewise "brainwashed", and is thus not a bad guy after all?

I just don't see how you can put someone with all that blood on their hands in the good category.



Last edited by giftedkid527; December 3rd, 2010 at 6:31 pm.
  #65  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 6:46 pm
boushh's Avatar
boushh  Female.gif boushh is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4402 days
Location: Back in Sev's Corner
Age: 47
Posts: 2,557
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
I'm not saying someone can't change. I'm just saying that when we are looking at Snape, the person, we are looking at the body of work for judgement, not just the last 10 years of his life. The good deeds count, but why do the bad ones disappear? If you were having a draft for "guys you'd've wanted to meet when they turned 10, and whom you'd've wanted to be best-friends with for the remainder of their lives", I think Snape would come in wayyyy far down, because of the time from age 11 to age 22.

"Brainwashed" into thinking muggleborns weren't as good? Would you, then, agree that Voldemort was likewise "brainwashed", and is thus not a bad guy after all?

I just don't see how you can put someone with all that blood on their hands in the good category.
I don't believe he was an bad eleven year old. Sorry. I don't put him in the same category is Voldemort. I also wouldn't say Voldemort was influenced by other people that built on some of his insecurities and existing prejudice. That is what happened to Snape...

So please don't try to twist my words and imply I mean something else. I'm really not interested in having to explain myself over and over again. I am not on trial, nor is this character...

I also never said his bad deeds disappear nor am I making excuses for the character. However, I do think someone can work to make up for the mistakes they have made... that's the point of his character. If one can heal a torn soul by feeling deep remorse, then I think Snape's remorse for the part he played in the deaths of the Potters, and for the other things he did as a DE should count for more. As should all the work he did for the Order and for Harry.

I'm just going to agree to disagree because I don't see the point in continuing this at this time.


  #66  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 6:58 pm
lemon_drop  Male.gif lemon_drop is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3378 days
Location: Needful Things
Age: 27
Posts: 7
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
As I've mentioned before, Charity Burbage died directly because of Snape.
No, she didn't. Voldemort is the one who was directly responsible for her death, because he was the one who actually killed her. And why do you blame Snape anyway? Why not Draco? Or Narcissa? Or Bellatrix? They were also present and they, too, chose not to save Charity, so why should Snape be held responsible and not them?

Quote:
I'll throw Moody in, because had Snape not ratted out the movements of Harry, Moody would have lived.
Following your logic, one can just as easily blame Lily for saving Harry's life, thus making it possible for him to grow up and end up being transferred by the Order and ultimately killing Moody.


  #67  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 7:06 pm
snapegirl's Avatar
snapegirl  Female.gif snapegirl is offline
Dr Mrs The Monarch
 
Joined: 5329 days
Location: Spinner's End
Age: 42
Posts: 1,861
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
I'm not saying someone can't change. I'm just saying that when we are looking at Snape, the person, we are looking at the body of work for judgement, not just the last 10 years of his life. The good deeds count, but why do the bad ones disappear? If you were having a draft for "guys you'd've wanted to meet when they turned 10, and whom you'd've wanted to be best-friends with for the remainder of their lives", I think Snape would come in wayyyy far down, because of the time from age 11 to age 22.
I don't think anyone is saying the bad ones disappear. Yes, he joined the death eaters. But for the majority of his life, he worked for the Order.

I don't see him as a bad kid. A troubled kid, yes, but not a bad one. I think he was influenced by a troubled home and later in Hogwarts, he was influenced negatively by people like Lucius. Yes, he had a friend in Lily and he ruined that. That's why it's called "Snape's Worst Memory," imo.

Snape was a deeply flawed man who made great mistakes in his youth and worked for the rest of his life to be a better person, imo.

He was given a second chance by Dumbledore and a he proved he was worth taking a chance on, imo.

To me, it's more important to look at the man he became and how he redeemed himself. Everyone makes mistakes, especially in their youth, but some are fortunate enough not to make mistakes as grave as Snape's.


  #68  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 7:10 pm
OldMotherCrow's Avatar
OldMotherCrow  Female.gif OldMotherCrow is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4147 days
Location: Here. I'm pretty sure of it.
Posts: 1,297
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon_drop View Post
Following your logic, one can just as easily blame Lily for saving Harry's life, thus making it possible for him to grow up and end up being transferred by the Order and ultimately killing Moody.
I think Snape explicitely endangered the Order by giving Voldemort the exact time and date of their operation. Thus, he willingly helped plan the mission to attempt Harry's capture and assassination, and I do see him as culpable in Moody's murder, and the attempted murders of other Order members.

I don't think Snape could have done anything about Charity Burbage, though, without giving himself away.


__________________
".... You've chosen your way, I've chosen mine."
I love Lily because she chooses a path to match her convictions, and chooses to live her life fighting for what is right. It is our choices that show who we truly are.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
  #69  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 7:12 pm
TreacleTartlet  Female.gif TreacleTartlet is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5249 days
Posts: 2,036
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
Snape could easily have grabbed her, and disapparated. No sweat.
I really don't think he could do that.Charity was suspended in the air above the table. I don't see how he could have jumped up onto the table and grabbed her then disapparated with Voldemort and all the DE's watching, without getting killed in the process. Sorry I just don't think that is at all feasible.


  #70  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 7:17 pm
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4598 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
boushh;5662968]They outweigh them for me because they happen after his supposed bad deeds. How is one supposed to change for the better if their good deeds don't count?

As I said, what we know of Snape is that he joined the DEs and he was a spy for Voldemort. We know that he managed to get out of getting his hands dirty for the DE cause... he "watched people die" he did not kill, he at one time felt wizards were better than muggles and was brainwashed into following the party line about muggleborns, and he was mean teacher. He delivered the prophecy to Voldemort and was partially responsible for the deaths of James and Lily. He was indifferent at one time towards the lives of other people.

The only thing that applies to the adult Snape that we see for the majority of the series is that he was a mean teacher. He put his life on the line time and time again for the good side for approximately 17 years. Yes, at first it was to protect Harry, but it became more than that since he set that aside to work for the good of the WW rather than just in the name of protecting Harry for Lily's sake. I think gradually he became a better man who returned to the good side.
Well we do have to deduct from that 17 years the ten years he spent at Hogwarts before Harry arrived at the school and the 3 years before Voldemort returned, add to that the year after he gave Voldemort the Prophecy. So he spent about 4 years spying for Dumbledore and another year as Headmaster. Dangerous work, no doubt and no one ever said he wasn't brave. But just as Macbeth was brave and he was a despicable man who murdered his way to the top.Snape's bravery is not exactly a ringing endorsement of his being a decent human being. I don't know if we can say for sure that he never got his hands dirty as a DE. The only one who says that he didn't is Bellatrix and I am inclined not to take her word as the final say on the matter. I wouldn't trust Bellatrix if she said the sun rises every day.
I would say that he was a man who tried to become a better man. Perhaps the trying is all we can ask for.


  #71  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 7:18 pm
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5325 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
I find attempting to look at the situation from an objective standpoint often leads to the clearest perception of the true situation. While it's possible that Lily's death was a "wake up call" that turned him into a great person, I find that I fully disagree with the notion that a person can "snap" out of being a "bad" individual. Snape never fully leaves behind his lovely personality that so ingratiated himself with the marauders, and thus doesn't seem to have changed 100%.
I find myself, again, disagreeing with your premise, which seems to be, that Snape was a "bad" individual. Looking at his childhood, he appears to have been an unhappy and needy child, but his affection for Lily seems genuine enough. Nor can I agree that it bas his "bad" nature that caused the Marauders to dislike him. James spoke disparagingly of Sev's choice of House, while the latter was merely endeavoring to cheer up his friend Lily. Snape's refusal to back down and accept James' rudeness does not, in my opinion, make him "bad".

Quote:
He also seems to have retained his vindictiveness, his loathing, his grudges, and his ability to hate, as well as his inability to render sound judgement upon a subject to whom his feelings are ill-intended.
The bearing of grudges, and inability to render objective judgments regarding matters which are emotional, is a property shared by many of the heroes of this tale. Notably Harry himself and Sirius Black, who in this regard remind me of Sev. Though Snape is able to overcome both these traits when it is important to "the good side", as for example when he promptly makes sure Sirius is NOT being tortured by Voldemort in the MoM, or when he expresses no doubts to Albus that Harry will act on the information about the soul bit, when he is told about it.

Quote:
I did a really poor job of saying what I meant here... My point is that Snape did what he did, saving Harry, protecting him until he died, out of either unrequited love or guilt. Not out of the goodness of his heart.
I agree that Snape is not always (or even usually!) acting out of the goodness of his heart. It's one of the things I find admirable about him. Acting to save people you care for and love is a natural human reaction, demonstrated by a plethora of characters in the series, from the three Potters, to the Malfoys, Sirius, Regulus, Ron and Hermione, and probably others (including Snape, in my opinion, as when he agrees to kill Albus to spare him pain and humiliation). On the other hand, Snape acts to save Sirius, Lupin, and (possibly) Harry, among others, even though he lacks such feelings for them, and knows himself to be hated by them, acting out of a sense of duty to do what it right. I don't find that a tainted motive, I find it the best and most reliable motive for actions.

Quote:
And I think Harry is still thankful that he did it, regardless of intent. However, I don't think the motives taint the action for Harry, who is still alive because of him. I think it's the actions that matter.
This might be more for the Harry thread, but I disagree. Harry seems to consider motive important. In his thoughts about Draco, for example, he considers motive, and it matters to him that Draco is acting to save himself and his parents, rather than out of malice and cruelty, when he lets the DEs into Hogwarts, or later tortures on Voldemort's orders.


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
  #72  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 7:22 pm
sekhmetlion's Avatar
sekhmetlion  Female.gif sekhmetlion is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3541 days
Location: Discussing in CoS.
Age: 36
Posts: 397
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
:

2. Do you think Snape would have moved on if Lily had not died? Would he have turned to the good side in that case?

Snape had already turned to the good side before Lily died. He turned to the good side when he offered “anything” to Dumbledore on the windy hilltop. And to some extent, he “moved on” at that point – i.e., to the extent that in offering Dumbledore “anything,” he acknowledged that Lily would never belong to him. I think that in those circumstances, if Lily had not died, yes he would eventually have moved on emotionally and moved on professionally. But that could only take place after the threat to Lily was removed and Voldemort was defeated.

When Lily died, though, he lived a life of guilt and remorse and the perpetual penance of continuing his job of being a protector. The alternative I think (assuming he even survived Lily's death) was to stop caring about anything, and possibly relapse into the dark arts. Dumbledore’s prodding, however, helped him stop wishing for his own death and gave him new purpose in the wake of Lily’s death.

I do believe that to a large extent he “moved on” from Lily after Dumbledore revealed that a piece of Voldemort’s soul lived in Harry. Up to that point, he was protecting Harry for Lily’s sake. After that, the mission changed, and he was charged with doing something that he could not do for Lily’s sake. He did it anyway, and I believe he did it because he realized that it was the right thing to do.

At any rate, I guess for me question is not whether or not he would have turned to the good side if Lily had not died but whether he would have done so if she had never been threatened. I think he might have turned to the good side after suffering disillusionment on the dark path... and it's not hard to suffer disillusionment when you're in Voldemort's circle. Just ask the Malfoys! Anyway, it's pretty hard to tell what exactly he would have done had Lily never been threatened. But I applaud him for what he did do once she was.


4. What do you think about Snape's relationship with Dumbledore? Did they become friends or was Dumbledore a substitute father figure for him?

I think they were friendly. I don’t think they were close enough that Dumbledore would reveal his deepest personal secrets to him, but then, I don’t think Dumbledore revealed those secrets to anybody – Elphias Doge and Minerva McGonnagall included. But to the extent that Dumbledore, with all his secrets, was capable of having a friend, yes, I think they were friends. I think Snape clearly looked up to Dumbledore. And I do think Dumbledore became something of a surrogate father figure to this young man who never had much in the way of a father.

So I’d say it was a bit of both – friend and father. But I think it also went beyond that. I think Snape was Dumbledore’s protégé, and Dumbledore was Snape’s mentor. People wonder where a lot of Snape’s more unique skills come from. I think the most sensible explanation is that Dumbledore taught him what he needed to know to be successful in his mission. And speaking of the mission, I think that another dimension of their relationship is that they were collaborators, and colleagues.

Dumbledore was clearly in the superior position. He was Snape’s elder, his boss, his spymaster, and his general. But I think the two forged a strong bond.

5. Do you agree with the author's take on Snape's character as revealed in interviews?

It depends on which version of JKR’s take on Snape’s character we’re talking about!

But basically, sure if JKR tells me that the initial inspiration for Snape’s character was a chemistry teacher she hated in High School, I believe her. That’s an objective statement about character origins. If she tells me that he’s the only Death Eater who could cast a Patronus, sure I believe her. That’s an objective statement about the mechanisms of her story.

Where I have trouble is when she starts passing subjective judgments on her characters. If after reading the text, I arrive at the completely subjective judgment that Snape is a “deeply horrible person,” that’s my prerogative. But it is equally another reader’s prerogative to arrive at a completely different subjective judgment – particularly of a character so nuanced and deeply complex as Snape is.

So basically, I resist having an author (any author!) dictate the audience’s experience of the text and the audience’s experience of the characters. It is the audience’s job, I believe, to have whatever experience they are going to have, based upon the text itself. So I just don’t give much thought to JKR’s subjective opinions of her characters. Those opinions are based on her life experience and her way of looking at the world, not my life experience or my way of looking at the world.

:
I agree with you.

We always discuss if Snape would have changed sides if Lily was not murdered, but the fact that she was murdered was only the result from the fact that she was targeted. And what made Severus react was the targeting, not the murdering, by the time of the murdering his decision was already taken.

And my personal thought is that yes, he would have felt disenchanted, but after lot of time passed and he could see that things didn't really improved as much as he had wanted. I mean, as you said, the same that happened with the Malfoys


About Dumbledore, I think you sumarized pretty good this relationship, it was a very complex one, which involved lots of different relationships in one: father-son, mentor-pupil, boss-worker, friends, and collaborators.


It is strange, the take JKR has on Snape, but I believed she created a character and later reacted to him as a reader would do, and every reader as a reaction according to their own personality. JKR has strong character herself and seems to be more fond or soft-tempered characters. Other people, would admire most the strong tempered ones. I think she is not being subjective in this topic, but merely telling us how she felt with the nasty Chemistry teacher she once had.


__________________
Avatar by [i]Pojypojy on Deviantart
Signature by Manechan on Deviantart
.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320
  #73  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 7:25 pm
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5325 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
Refusing to stop the taking of her life, and passing up an opportunity to prevent it from happening is just as good as doing it himself. Allowing the cruciatus curse to be performed on his students is as good as doing it himself.
By such a standard, all the teachers of Hogwarts are as guilty - did they stop the Carrows? They were also there, and they demonstrably had the power to chase Snape and the Carrows out of the school. Sure, they;d be back the next day with reinforcements...but I think Snape was as able to understand that as any of them. Albus also - he tolerated Umbridge, who tortured students under his watch. I consider them, Albus, and Snape all to be good characters, because they objected to these actions, and did what they could using the resources at their disposal, to mitigate these evils for which they were not in any way responsible.


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
  #74  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 7:55 pm
Chrysalis's Avatar
Chrysalis  Undisclosed.gif Chrysalis is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 6026 days
Location: in my leisure suite
Posts: 2,899
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmetlion View Post
It is strange, the take JKR has on Snape, but I believed she created a character and later reacted to him as a reader would do, and every reader as a reaction according to their own personality. JKR has strong character herself and seems to be more fond or soft-tempered characters. Other people, would admire most the strong tempered ones. I think she is not being subjective in this topic, but merely telling us how she felt with the nasty Chemistry teacher she once had.
It also seemed that JKR's reaction changed over time. Because while at first she would dissuade people from liking Snape too much, and she said he was a 'deeply horrible person', in the end she claimed that he was a good man inside anyway.


  #75  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 8:16 pm
leah49's Avatar
leah49  Female.gif leah49 is offline
Ron's Pygmy Puff
 
Joined: 4578 days
Location: Weasley's Wizard Wheezes
Age: 37
Posts: 6,390
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
I find myself, again, disagreeing with your premise, which seems to be, that Snape was a "bad" individual.
I'm not quite sure giftedkid is saying that. He just seems to not be as overlooking of the bad deeds as he thinks others are.
Quote:
Looking at his childhood, he appears to have been an unhappy and needy child, but his affection for Lily seems genuine enough.
True.
Quote:
Nor can I agree that it bas his "bad" nature that caused the Marauders to dislike him. Well, we arenJames spoke disparagingly of Sev's choice of House, while the latter was merely endeavoring to cheer up his friend Lily. Snape's refusal to back down and accept James' rudeness does not, in my opinion, make him "bad".
More because he's a Slytherin, hates Gryffindor, row on the train, and is greasy looking (seriously, I think that is a factor them not liking him lame as it sounds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arithmancer View Post
By such a standard, all the teachers of Hogwarts are as guilty - did they stop the Carrows? They were also there, and they demonstrably had the power to chase Snape and the Carrows out of the school. Sure, they;d be back the next day with reinforcements...but I think Snape was as able to understand that as any of them. Albus also - he tolerated Umbridge, who tortured students under his watch. I consider them, Albus, and Snape all to be good characters, because they objected to these actions, and did what they could using the resources at their disposal, to mitigate these evils for which they were not in any way responsible.
We don't know what the other professors did. They never had the same power as Snape. He was headmaster. There is only so much the other professors can do, especially with students at stake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
It also seemed that JKR's reaction changed over time. Because while at first she would dissuade people from liking Snape too much, and she said he was a 'deeply horrible person', in the end she claimed that he was a good man inside anyway.
When did she say he was a good man inside anyway? (I'm not saying she didn't say it, just want to know where she said it).


__________________



I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
  #76  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 8:21 pm
Chrysalis's Avatar
Chrysalis  Undisclosed.gif Chrysalis is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 6026 days
Location: in my leisure suite
Posts: 2,899
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

I thought it was from one of the interviews she did after DH. Not necessarily The Leaky Cauldron one, there were a few others she did. But I think I read a quote like that. At any rate, she said he was heroic and brave. THAT I am sure of.


  #77  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 8:59 pm
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4598 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I thought it was from one of the interviews she did after DH. Not necessarily The Leaky Cauldron one, there were a few others she did. But I think I read a quote like that. At any rate, she said he was heroic and brave. THAT I am sure of.
This is the text from her interview on the Today Show July 26 2007,

MV: Was Snape always intended to be a hero?

JKR: [sharp intake of breath] Is he a hero? You see I don't see him really as a hero.

MV: Really?

JKR: Yeh. He's spiteful. He's a bully. All these things are still true of Snape, even at the end of this book. But, was he brave? Yes, immensely.

Greta, 8: If Snape didn't love Lily, would he have still tried to protect Harry?

JKR: No. He Definitely wouldn't have done. He wouldn't have been remotely interested in what happened to this boy.


This her quote from Oct 15 that same year:

'Harry Potter' Author J.K. Rowling Meets With L.A. Students, Plots Her Next Move

•JKR: "Snape is vindictive, he's cruel. He's not a big man. But he loves. I like him, but I'd also like to slap him hard."



That's all the quotes I found about Snape for 2007. I have to say that if that is how she meant to write Snape, then for myself she succeeded. That is exactly how I percieved him.


  #78  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 9:04 pm
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 4601 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Looking at the title of this thread, "Severus Snape: Character Analysis," and, having posted on this thread for some time now, I thought I'd find out what "character alalysis" really is, and apply it to Severus, to make sure I'm doing "analysis" and not just being defensive of him, since he's my favorite HP character.

Definition: character analysis, a systematic investigation of the personality of an individual with special attention to psychologic defenses and motivations, usually undertaken to improve behavior.


10 steps to doing character analysis:

1) Pay attention to the character’s ethics. Does the character make just or unjust choices?

2) Decide whether the character’s actions are wise or unwise.

3) What is the character’s motivation? As you are mulling over the pros and cons of each character’s internal thoughts and external actions, you will want to also consider why the character is acting or thinking in a particular way. Has the author given you any clues about the character’s past?

4) Consider the effects of the character’s behavior on other characters.

5) Look for repeatedly used words that describe the character. Those words often give insight into a character’s psychology and motivations.

6) Be aware of items associated with the character. They may say something about his or her state of mind.

7) Read between the lines. Often what a character does not say is as important as what he or she does say.

8) Is the character “flat” or “round”? A character is considered flat (or static) when he or she does not experience change of any kind, does not grow from beginning to end.

9) Consider the historical time period of the character. Refrain from making modern judgments about the past; put the character’s actions and thoughts in context.

10) Finally, what does the author think? Look for any of the author’s own judgments about the characters he or she has created. The author may be directing you toward an intended interpretation.

I think if we look over these and just do character analysis of Severus instead of trying to cast blame or determine whether he is inherintly good or bad, we might not get as bogged down as we do sometimes. If a poster states an opinion or perception, I think we should be respectful of that. If we disagree with it, we can say so, but, not in a way that challenges them to defend it.

There are many, many of us who enjoy this thread a lot and would hate to see it closed down again because we get stuck in the same old ruts.

JMO


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
  #79  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 9:14 pm
TreacleTartlet  Female.gif TreacleTartlet is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5249 days
Posts: 2,036
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
This is the text from her interview on the Today Show July 26 2007,

MV: Was Snape always intended to be a hero?

JKR: [sharp intake of breath] Is he a hero? You see I don't see him really as a hero.

MV: Really?

JKR: Yeh. He's spiteful. He's a bully. All these things are still true of Snape, even at the end of this book. But, was he brave? Yes, immensely.

Greta, 8: If Snape didn't love Lily, would he have still tried to protect Harry?

JKR: No. He Definitely wouldn't have done. He wouldn't have been remotely interested in what happened to this boy.


This her quote from Oct 15 that same year:

'Harry Potter' Author J.K. Rowling Meets With L.A. Students, Plots Her Next Move

•JKR: "Snape is vindictive, he's cruel. He's not a big man. But he loves. I like him, but I'd also like to slap him hard."



That's all the quotes I found about Snape for 2007. I have to say that if that is how she meant to write Snape, then for myself she succeeded. That is exactly how I percieved him.
You missed this quote from July 30th 2007:

Lechicaneuronline: Do you think snape is a hero

J.K. Rowling: Yes, I do; though a very flawed hero. An anti-hero, perhaps. He is not a particularly likeable man in many ways. He remains rather cruel, a bully, riddled with bitterness and insecurity - and yet he loved, and showed loyalty to that love.

J.K. Rowling: and, ultimately, laid down his life because of it. That's pretty heroic!


http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/...bury-chat.html


  #80  
Old December 3rd, 2010, 9:20 pm
leah49's Avatar
leah49  Female.gif leah49 is offline
Ron's Pygmy Puff
 
Joined: 4578 days
Location: Weasley's Wizard Wheezes
Age: 37
Posts: 6,390
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Ah, the anti-hero quote. That doesn't mean villian (which would be the opposite of hero, I suppose). What exactly would that be?


__________________



I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
severus snape, snape, snape ate my hamster, version gazillion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:47 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.