Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Questions about Animagi v. 2

Old April 8th, 2009, 5:54 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Questions about Animagi v. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraLovegood View Post
Not really, but I can imagine James and Sirius twisting Peter's arm so that he'd choose a form that could sneak, spy, and most importantly toggle the Whomping Willow to relax & let them in.

Nope - that's one thing JKR was very clear about a long time ago. You can't choose your form.

World Book Day Chat 2004

When you turn into an Animagus, can you choose what animal you become? Or does this get "assigned" to you?

J. K. Rowling: No, you can't choose. You become the animal that suits you best. Imagine the humiliation when you finally transform after years of study and find that you most closely resemble a warthog.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2009, 7:46 am

Re: Patronouses and Animaguses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlytherinLocket View Post
If one were to have both a patronous and be an animagus, would they be the same animal?

I think yes as they both are indivivual forms unique to the witch/wizard, but what if your patronous were to change? Would also your animagus form?

Discuss!
I think more often they would be different! Your animagus form reflects your true inner self, whereas you Patronus is related to your happiest memories. SO, consider Tonks. Her Patronus is a werewolf, because she loves Lupin and her happiest memories revolve around him. But is werewolf her true inner nature? It seems unlikely based on her characterization.

In particular, I doubt the Animagus form ever changes. People do, but the Animagus, I think, would reflect something about them that does not.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:28 pm

JKR once described the Patronus as a "soul guardian."

One thing a Patronus can do is fight off a dementor, which represents depression, so it makes sense that happy memories of loved ones become the guardian of the soul.

I'm not sure how that fits with Tonks and the werewolf, though. Maybe her guardian is just a wolf - the fierce side of Lupin without the darkness? Not sure about that one. I don't think a dark creature could really be a Patronus.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old April 12th, 2009, 1:12 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
JKR once described the Patronus as a "soul guardian."

One thing a Patronus can do is fight off a dementor, which represents depression, so it makes sense that happy memories of loved ones become the guardian of the soul.

I'm not sure how that fits with Tonks and the werewolf, though. Maybe her guardian is just a wolf - the fierce side of Lupin without the darkness? Not sure about that one. I don't think a dark creature could really be a Patronus.
But that was a label society put on them - and on Vampires - and which Umbridge wanted on Centaurs too. That doesn't mean any of these magical creatures were actually 'dark creatures', imo.

Old April 12th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I don't think a dark creature could really be a Patronus.
This made me wonder whether Voldermort has a Patronus.

I doubt he'd need one since he doesn't seem to be effected by Dementors, but what if he tried to produce one?

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old April 12th, 2009, 4:31 pm
First Year

I bet it would be a giant snake.And, even if he doesn't need to stop dementors, he could use it to send messages.

Old April 12th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

This thread is supposed to be about animagi.

Patronus related questions can be discussed in this thread:
Significance and Meanings of Patronus Forms.

Or maybe a new thread "Questions about Patroni" could be started if you want a broader approach similar to this thread about animagi.

Old April 12th, 2009, 11:49 pm
First Year

1. Is there difference between doing it for the first time and doing it later in normal life ?
I think there probably would be. I'm sure the first time you do it, it feels very odd, or unexpected, whereas if you've done it a lot than it feels normal.

2. Does the transfiguration form got anything to do with one's patronus? Seeing that Mcgonagall is the only one whom we've seen both her trans. Form and her patronus, both were cats.
It might be related somehow, but I doubt that everyone that is an animagus turns into what there patronus is. A patronus is supposed to be like a guardian, while what you transform into kind of represents who you are. Remember, Tonks' patronus changed, and if she was an animagus I doubt she would go from one thing to another.

3. Does the wizard or the witch have the chance of choosing what form they'd like or it's got something to do with the one's character like the patronus?
The person's character. Pettigrew was a rat, and I seriously doubt he would choose that.

4. If you have the choice what form you'd choose? I'd like a snake.
I think I'd rather not have the choice, so I could see what best represents me. But what I think I'd turn into is a wolf(though I think my patronus would be a platypus or a unicorn).

5. Is it possible for a werewolf to transfer to something else? Knowing that there was the wizard who transfered to 2 different animals.
It's probably possible...

6. Does it differ transfering to an insect and to an animal, meaning is it another type of transfiguration?
I doubt it. Skeeter turns into a beetle, and Hermione described her as an unregistered animagus.

7. What happens if a wizard transformed to an insect and some one accidently crushed it?
Um, he'd die? What else could happen to him? Lol

8. Does the one die if someone attacks him while he's transformed? Like what Bellatrix did.
I don't understand your question... but I'm guessing that you mean something similar to the question above. My answer's the same.

9. Was it mentioned somewhere in the book that one of these wizards were Animagus's: Dumbledore, Lily, any of the death eaters?
Not that I remember.

And that's interesting, about whether or not Voldy could make a patronus. For some reason I kinda doubt it. Maybe it's because the patronus is the "soul guardian", and he tore his soul up into pieces...

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."
Old April 13th, 2009, 1:40 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
5. Is it possible for a werewolf to transfer to something else? Knowing that there was the wizard who transfered to 2 different animals.
Who was this? I don't remember such thing.

The End of the Dream.
Old April 13th, 2009, 2:09 am
Fourth Year

Is it possible for someone's animagi to be a fish- or any other aquatic animal, for that matter? Hermione's patronus was an otter and it could swin through the air. But if someone was a fish animagi, could they swim through the air, or would they just flop on the ground? Would they even live?

Old April 13th, 2009, 2:20 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDystopia View Post
Is it possible for someone's animagi to be a fish- or any other aquatic animal, for that matter? Hermione's patronus was an otter and it could swin through the air. But if someone was a fish animagi, could they swim through the air, or would they just flop on the ground? Would they even live?
You're confusing Animagus and Patronus. Those are two different things. The Otter Patronus is just a light figure, that only looks like an animal, but isn't acting like one. It doesn't live, it doesn't really exist. An Animagus animal is real. It can be hurt, it dies, it needs to feed and stuff.

And yes, the Animagi form is a pretty good copy of the real animal. Like Rita was able to fly as a beetle, so a fish animagi should stick to the water.

The End of the Dream.
Old April 13th, 2009, 2:29 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi
And yes, the Animagi form is a pretty good copy of the real animal. Like Rita was able to fly as a beetle, so a fish animagi should stick to the water.
So if someone was a fish animagi and they transformed where there was no water, they would die?

Old April 13th, 2009, 2:36 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
So if someone was a fish animagi and they transformed where there was no water, they would die?
The question is why should an Animagi transform in an environment that is dangerous for their Animagi form.

The End of the Dream.
Old April 13th, 2009, 2:38 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
The question is why should an Animagi transform in an environment that is dangerous for their Animagi form.
I know it is illogical , but it is a hypothetical situation.

Old April 13th, 2009, 2:42 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
I know it is illogical , but it is a hypothetical situation.
Well, they turn into a fish and get the physical features of a fish (gills etc.) Fishes breath in water, so the logical conclusion is that Animagi-Fishes need water as well, otherwise they die.

The End of the Dream.
Old April 13th, 2009, 2:51 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Well, they turn into a fish and get the physical features of a fish (gills etc.) Fishes breath in water, so the logical conclusion is that Animagi-Fishes need water as well, otherwise they die.
Oh man, I feel so bad for the wizard/witch who is a fish animagi. I can't see when it is practical to be a fish.

Old April 13th, 2009, 4:09 am

Quote:
So if someone was a fish animagi, and they transformed where there was no water, they would die?
I presume they could untransform, death is not instantaneous for actual fish either.

It's not a purely hypothetical situation. The first time the Animagus transformed, he might have no idea what form he will take.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 13th, 2009, 5:16 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
It's not a purely hypothetical situation. The first time the Animagus transformed, he might have no idea what form he will take.
I always assumed that they learn transforming step by step and don't turn into an animal all of the sudden. Like they try hard and an arm would transform into a fin and the next time another part of the body. It's kinda hard to believe that they tried becoming Animagi for many years when you turn into the animal at the first try.

The End of the Dream.
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:46 pm
Second Year

What happens to an Animagus after he is killed?

I've been wondering. If an Animagus is in his animal-mode and is being killed, will he turn back to his human form after he's been killed?

Old May 9th, 2009, 6:57 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I would classify the repercussions of a werewolf bite as a cursed infection. The germs sent into one's body by the werewolf would be, as I imagine it, basically cursed. I believe the germs would grab onto the human's customary molecules and, in certain ways, control them. Thus, I think the werewolf germs would cause the body to reject certain things (any cure for lycanthropy, sugar in the Wolfsbane Potion, perhaps), just like certain Muggle illnesses.
Well they are cursed in the sense of lasting forever and doing harm to a human if the human doesn't wish to be a werewolf (or vampire). But not in the sense that the curse can ever be removed (like most curses), or that it will destroy the person in the end (like other eternal curses would), or that there is a way to 'heal' (like most curses of that type). So they are distinct in several ways.

We don't know the origin of werewolves in HP. Because JKR used "Remus" and "Wolfsbane" - it is possible that she was going the Remus/Romulus route where the first werewolf was bitten by an actual wolf and survived to become one (although that is at times tied in with it having been King Lycaeus turned into a wolf). But as it was, there were numerous werewolves by the time we came into the story - same with Vampires. And so, they were a part of society however they got started. And both groups had a 'natural' tendency to turn other wizards in order to propagate their species. So to me it takes it out of the cursed category and into the category of magical creature (as they were so classed) and like all magical creatures, wizards simply had to learn to live with them as a fellow species in the wizard world. But at the time, wizards believed they were the supreme species, which I suppose changed overtime. The problem was that to propagate, both species took others against their will, which isn't cool. So they would have to change that - perhaps now that it is known they can have children (Lupin) have kids and bring those into the fold who wish to join. It would be an easier choice if the wolfsbane and such made transformation less painful I'd think.

This is not an "animagus" though - I mean in a sense it is (a wizard + animal) - but not the traditional sort that can change painlessly at will.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; May 9th, 2009 at 7:00 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak