Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Questions about Animagi v. 2

Old July 27th, 2008, 6:09 pm
Second Year

Questions about Animagi v. 2

Apologies if it has been discussed before but I found nothing matching this one,

I was actually interested in this magical ability that not even all great wizards in the book attended to do it.
I have some questions about it and here they are
1. Is there difference between doing it for the first time and doing it later in normal life ?
2. Does the transfiguration form got anything to do with one's patronus? Seeing that Mcgonagall is the only one whom we've seen both her trans. Form and her patronus, both were cats.
3. Does the wizard or the witch have the chance of choosing what form they'd like or it's got something to do with the one's character like the patronus?
4. If you have the choice what form you'd choose? I'd like a snake.
5. Is it possible for a werewolf to transfer to something else? Knowing that there was the wizard who transfered to 2 different animals.
6. Does it differ transfering to an insect and to an animal, meaning is it another type of transfiguration?
7. What happens if a wizard transformed to an insect and some one accidently crushed it?
8. Does the one die if someone attacks him while he's transformed? Like what Bellatrix did.
9. Was it mentioned somewhere in the book that one of these wizards were Animagus's: Dumbledore, Lily, any of the death eaters?
Share your thoughts and your questions .

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2008, 7:13 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Re: Questions about Animagi v. 2

For reference, find the archived first version here

Old July 31st, 2008, 3:26 pm
Always Indy's Girl

1. Is there difference between doing it for the first time and doing it later in normal life ?

I would think becoming animagus for the first few times would be difficult for many reasons. The person would change into an animal; that takes a lot of gettin used to, from walking to not talking and practically being and behaving totally differently.

Once they get used to the important change from human to animal, I suppose the transformations would be far easier and as time passes by would become almost instantaneous like McGonagall and Sirius.

2. Does the transfiguration form got anything to do with one's patronus? Seeing that Mcgonagall is the only one whom we've seen both her trans. Form and her patronus, both were cats.

Both I think reflect the inner subconcious with which the witch or wizard identifies the animagus or patronus. So I suppose both would be the same. I am not sure, though.

3. Does the wizard or the witch have the chance of choosing what form they'd like or it's got something to do with the one's character like the patronus?

I don't think they can. Animagi and Patronus seem to reflect their inner nature and character and that is reflected when they cast the Patronus and become animagi. I don't think one can choose.

I'd love to be a Phoenix. Instant transport; no traffic jams and no boring waits at airports.

5. Is it possible for a werewolf to transfer to something else? Knowing that there was the wizard who transfered to 2 different animals.

I don't think so. The animal which was already inside him and controlling him to a large extent would be a werewolf. I don't think a werewolf could identify with another animal. I don't think the wolf inside tha man would allow it.

6. Does it differ transfering to an insect and to an animal, meaning is it another type of transfiguration?

Well Animagus is transfiguration is it not? I don't know if one can transform into all kinds of animals; I think you must become animagi to transform into an animal, though I think transforming into anything was possible, though. Perhaps another can transform you, but you can't do it yourself?

7. What happens if a wizard transformed to an insect and some one accidently crushed it?

He dies.

8. Does the one die if someone attacks him while he's transformed? Like what Bellatrix did.

Yes.

9. Was it mentioned somewhere in the book that one of these wizards were Animagus's: Dumbledore, Lily, any of the death eaters?

Though I am not sure, I think Animagus and Patronus may the same and so I would say that the animagus of all of them would be the same as their Patronus.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old August 2nd, 2008, 5:12 am
First Year

Well, it probably is a little harder when someones first started transforming. Maybe even a little uncomfortable. But later in life, I suppose if you transformed enough it would seem really simple and natural.

Both deal with the person's character and emotions. So I'm guessing that it would be the same, but I don't know.

No, I don't think that one can choose their animagi form. Besides, why would Peter have wanted to be a rat?

4. If you have the choice what form you'd choose?

I would be some type of bird.

I don't think so, because I don't think the wolf inside the man would allow it. And I don't know anything about what a wizard has to do to become an animagus, but considering that Lupin always look tired and old, would werewolves have enough strength and need to want to be another animal?

Probably not. Even though animals and insects are different, it would still be transforming into something similar (If that made any sense). It might be a little harder though, considering insects can be very small. And Rita was a beedle and she was still considered an animagus, which would be the same charm, I'm guessing. I don't know.

Well, it would die. But if I was an animagus insect I think I would get out of the way before a human crushed me.

Yes, because it's still the same person, only transformed.

I don't think so. But Dumbledore was a really smart wizard with a lot of talents. And Transfiguration was the class he taught when he was a teacher, so I'd imagine he would have tried.

Old August 16th, 2008, 8:27 pm
Snidget of Champions

Like the others, it seems likely that transforming for the first few times would be uncomfortable and take time to become accustom to (like most new things; Apparition is the perfect example: Dumbledore tells Harry the sensation takes some getting used to. I think the same is true for the Animagus transformation).

I believe both represent the wizard's inner-being, so they would probably be similar. Of course, we know Patronuses can change upon an emotional upheaval, but I doubt that one's Animagus form would change because of emotion. The Animagus transformation seems, to me, to represent the wizard's characteristics, desires, emotions, etc., whereas the Patronus is formed by the caster's emotions more than anything.

Like above, I would assume the form of the Animagus would embody the wizard's character, features, and emotions, while Patronuses seem to be more linked with emotions.

I would love to become a bird of any type, though preferably magical (we do not know if this can occur, since the only Animagi we have heard of turn into common, non-magical creatures). A Fwooper, Snidget, or Phoenix would be my ideal transformation.

I do not think so. Otherwise, I think Remus would have attempted it, so as not to limit the Marauder's Animagi/werewolf trips to once every month. I believe something about the werewolf gene/blood (a magical infection) would reject the wizard becoming another animal.

Rita Skeeter's beetle seems fairly similar to the other Animagi we are introduced to. Her Animagus form has distinguishing markings, she can remember pieces of information when she becomes human again, and the beetle has Rita's memory. All of these traits coincide with what the other Animagi's undergo during their transformations, so I doubt the transformation is different.

Since the animal is, indeed, the wizard, I believe that wizard would die if its animal form were killed.

Share your thoughts and your questions.

These are the only Animagi we know of:
Known AnimagiFalco Aesalon (falcon), Sirius Black (dog), Cliodna (bird), Morgan le Fey (bird), Minerva McGonagall (tabby cat), Peter Pettigrew (rat), James Potter (stag), Rita Skeeter (beetle), and six anonymous.

I doubt any character we know (or knew by PoA) is an Animagi (unless unregistered), since Hermione had checked the register while doing her homework.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old August 16th, 2008, 9:58 pm
Second Year

All agree that the wolf inside the wizard can stop him from transforming into another animal, does that mean that the wolf is something alive inside the person that can think and command, its too scary

Old August 17th, 2008, 4:11 am
I want to believe

Well, I’d imagine that the transformation wouldn’t be quite as smooth the first time. And I think you may be disoriented because you wouldn’t know what animal you were going to turn into until after that first time. But once you know, then it becomes easier.

2. Does the transfiguration form got anything to do with one's patronus?
I think they may be related, since both are connected to a wizard’s inner being.

I think it reflects one’s true character, similar to the patronus. And indeed, the forms of the animagi we’ve seen so far do indeed reflect the character of the wizard.

4. If you have the choice what form you'd choose?
I’m not sure, but I know I wouldn’t want to be a rat or a skunk or something!

5. Is it possible for a werewolf to transfer to something else?
Maybe in theory, but I highly doubt any werewolf would want to do anymore transforming than he already has to (especially werewolves like Remus). Also I think they’d want to focus on and spend more time being human rather than animal.

I don’t think so. Rita Skeeter’s beetle was just the best reflection of her inner self. Though it’s technically not an animal, I don’t think the process or the transformation is any different than if your animagus form was a member of the animal kingdom. I think only plants are not valid animagi forms.

I’d say that wizard would probably be dead.

8. Does the one die if someone attacks him while he's transformed?
Probably. They’re still living organisms while in animagus form, so it seems reasonable that if they were killed while in animagus form, they would indeed die.

Not that I know of. The only ones I can name off the top of my head are Sirius, James, Peter, McGonagall, and Rita Skeeter.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 17th, 2008, 4:20 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily_potter73
All agree that the wolf inside the wizard can stop him from transforming into another animal, does that mean that the wolf is something alive inside the person that can think and command, its too scary
I would classify the repercussions of a werewolf bite as a cursed infection. The germs sent into one's body by the werewolf would be, as I imagine it, basically cursed. I believe the germs would grab onto the human's customary molecules and, in certain ways, control them. Thus, I think the werewolf germs would cause the body to reject certain things (any cure for lycanthropy, sugar in the Wolfsbane Potion, perhaps), just like certain Muggle illnesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan
I know I wouldn’t want to be a rat or a skunk or something!
And here I was thinking that a skunk captured your inner being spot on...

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old August 17th, 2008, 4:24 am
Third Year

In my eyes I think that the first few transformations would be difficult and perhaps somewhat uncomfortable, and pehaps painful. I think later on, once you've done it a lot it would become a lot more painless.

I am assuming that most wizard's patronuses and animagus forms are the same. This may not be the case in all instances as perhaps one has chosen to become a certain animal that doesn't necessarily reflect them in the same was that their patronus does.

I would think that the animal has a little to do with personality/looks but I doubt that it is always that way. I think Peter became a rat so he could freeze the Womping Willow. Although, Peter does have some rat like qualities.

Hmm, perhaps a hawk or eagle. If I had to choose a non-flying character I would probably choose a wolf or something similiar, maybe a cheetah?

I'm not sure on this one. For instance I would think that someone who is werewolf wouldn't be able to become an animagus, but what if they were bit after they were already and animagus? I have no certain answer on this one.

I doubt it, although it would be a little different. I think that learning to be an animagus is similiar no matter what you are transforming into.

I don't think it would die. I think it would just return to wizard form in searing pain, and then maybe die..

Again I have no clear answer.

I don't think that any of those wizards/witches were Animagus'

Old August 18th, 2008, 12:25 am
Second Year

1. Is there difference between doing it for the first time and doing it later in normal life?

Well I think the answer is just like everything in life. It's hard and a little awkward at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's like another part of your body.

I think that they are similar. They both come from your inner being so I am certain that they would be very similar. Like, your Animagus form would be reflective of your personality, character etc.

Maybe a little of both. As I said above, I think an Animagus form is connected to a Wizard/Witches personality, character etc.

If I could choose a Magical creature, it would definitely be a Phoenix.
However, if it had to be a regular creature, I would pick a Hawk.
My second choice would be a Wolf, although I would much rather fly.

Why would they want to? After becoming the monster that they become during a full moon, I would think they would very much wish to stay human. However, I don't think it's possible.

6. Does it differ transferring to an insect and to an animal, meaning is it another type of transfiguration?

I don't think it's any different. I mean, yes it's different than an animal, but it's most likely no different.

7. What happens if a wizard transformed to an insect and some one accidentally crushed it?

I am sure the Wizard/Witch would die. However, being a Wizard or Witch, I am certain they wouldn't be foolish enough to get them self in a situation to be crushed.

Obviously. It's not as if becoming an Animagus is the answer to death. Your still a living being, just in an animal form.

I don't believe I heard of any of those characters having an Animagus form.

"Oh, very good," interrupted Snape, his lip curling. "Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'"
Old August 18th, 2008, 7:09 pm
Ravenclaw Prefect

Regarding animagus form and patronus, there's no reason to think that they have to be the same, or even related. The animagus reflects some part of the personality of the witch or wizard, but the patronus represents a protector. So a person could have an animagus form that reflected their fox-like cunning (animagus = fox), but feel that the person who most protected them was their uncle who loved to swim (patronus = fish or dolphin or other aquatic animal). Harry's patronus reflects that his father tried to protect him and Lily--therefore, his patronus is a stag. It does not necessarily follow that if Harry became an animagus, he would be any kind of deer-like creature. He may, for example, be the horse that is the source of Ginny's horse patronus, since his rescue of her in COS could be seen as a trigger for that form. To put it another way, can you even remotely imagine Severus Snape having a doe as an animagus form?

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old August 24th, 2008, 7:05 pm
Qvack...

I'm sure it probably becomes very subconscious later on. I mean, maybe the first few times you'd feel funny, thinking about it biologically, but I imagine its like anything else. You can get used to anything! I still don't think the transformation would be very pleasant though. The sensation might freak me out.

It probably does. I mean, being realistic, they both have to do with your own intimate self, so I'm seeing that maybe it could work that way. it's like James Potter being a stag, Harry having a stag Patronus... There are things that make things work for an individual person, I suppose this would be one of them.

I think the latter. Can't see it being a choice. I'm not sure why.

I think I'd love a lioness. Or a bird. Like an eagle.

It probably is, but it's also probably weird and very hard. And I don't think they could do it during the full moon period.

Woah, tough question. I honestly do not know. it probably is the same in a general sense.

Well then, I imagine they wouldn't be transforming back... Bad joke, sorry...

Probably. I wonder would they transform back when they die actually.. I know I made a joke about it, but its a serious question too... Would they automatically transform back.. I suppose not, because Pettigrew bit his finger off and then transformed. Didn't he? I should think about that a bit more.

None of them I don't think. But maybe Lily... I suppose we'll never know!

THE DUCK.

Old September 7th, 2008, 2:00 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily_potter73 View Post
I think its matter of getting used to it, I'm sure its too difficult for them to do it in the begining then once they get used to it they find it easy, Jo never said any of the Animagi had difficulty with it. Mcgonagall used to do it easily infront of her class.
Quote:
I think both of them are the same, but we cannot be sure for some people's patronus change due to shock or things like that. I mean what if one has a dog for the patronus and transfiguration form, then his patronus change.
Quote:
I think its related to the character so I dont think they've the chance of choosing what they want.
Quote:
I'd like a snake too. Or maybe a cat.
Quote:
I'm not sure of that one, but myself I think if Remus have tried he'd have succeeded.
Quote:
I think its the same type of magic, its just the form that differs.
Quote:
He/she dies for sure.
Quote:
I'm sure he dies, for he's the same person even if he's in another form.
Quote:
Share your thoughts and your questions .
Might be one of the Death Eaters whom we dont know much about.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:36 am
Lycanthrope

Other than it would probably be a little more difficult at first, I wouldn't think so. The learning curve may not be that steep.

Usually it is the same as the patronus - for McGonagall and James it was, so I imagine it would be for everyone.

No - it is your inner self.

A werewolf of course.

Perhaps, but I figure they have enough transformation in their lives that they really would not desire to add another...

Nah, it is the same. It is just that the insect is your inner self, like Rita Skeeter.

. Well it is a wizard, so I doubt it would die. It would likely transform back into a human and be injured - cured by St. Mungos

I imagine if it is AK'd then it would die like all living things.

No.

Old September 17th, 2008, 11:43 am
Fourth Year

Here are my thoughts on this

Well yeah I guess, the first time is probably very complicated and requires a great deal of preparation and concentration. And it becomes much easier as you keep on doing it until its no more difficult than just picking up your wand!

Uptil now, I'd always thought that a wizard would have the same Animagus form and Patronus, as both are essentially manifestations of one's personality.
But then as someone mentioned before me, can you really see Snape having a doe as his Animagus form?
Moreover, Patronuses can change, as we've seen with Tonks when one goes through emotional upheaval, but I'm guessing you can never change your Animagus form. So I'm going to have to think about this some more.......

No I don't think you choose what you become, I doubt Pettigrew would have chosen a rat as his form!

A unicorn!
Or else a dog, everyone loves dogs

I think that if a wizard who was a werewolf wanted to, he could learn to become an Animagus. He probably wouldn't be able to transform during full moon though!
However, going through the werewolf transformations would be so tiring and energy consuming, that the person would probably not want to put himself through the Animagus transformation.

No its probably the same type of process, I don't think it makes any difference whether you become an animal, insect or bird.

He would die!
But I wonder, would he stay an insect after dying? I think he would.

I guess so. But I've always wondered, why did Sirius change back into a human when he encountered all those dementors in PoA. Wouldn't it have been much harder for the dementors to harm him when he was a dog? And I don't think it was because he had to protect the others. Harry and co weren't around then, they went rushing after him after he howled.

It wasn't mentioned, and though it feels like the sort of thing Dumbledore would do, particularly as he was the Transfiguration proffessor, I don't seeing him being an Illegal Animagus. And Hermione would definitely have mentioned it if he was registered!

Old September 17th, 2008, 3:31 pm
Sixth Year

I guess the first time transforming, one could face some problems, and the transformation, if done wrong, could backfire on the wizard/witch themself. The Marauders could have faced some difficulties when they first tried doing the transformation. I have a mental image of James in his human form, but with antlers sprouting out from his head, or Sirius with a tail sticking out!

I think so, because I've always thought Patronuses are sort of from your soul, and Animagi is your 'inner animal'. But then, you believe you could have a different Patronus and Animagus form.

Well, I've always thought that an Animagi meant choosing your animal form, so yeah, I do think that you can choose it yourself. But you'd choose something more like your character (I would!), so it works both ways for me.

I would love to have a choice of lamb and lion.

Yes. Werewolves are wizards too-they can become an Animagi if they wish too.

I don't think it's that different, Rita Skeeter was also called an Animagus, and her Animagus form was a beetle, which is an insect.

They'd be paralyzed! Or dead. I wondered why they did not do that to Rita when she was in that jar.

Yes.

No, I don't think so.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old October 8th, 2008, 1:10 am
First Year

Animagus Question

Right, I' nopt quite sure if this is where I should post this, I've always been **** at figuring stuff like that out.
Anyway my question: Couls an animagus transform into a magical animal? Like a centaur? Or a fairy? Or a knargle? If they couldn't, ummm why not?

Old October 8th, 2008, 3:15 am
Second Year

Re: Animagus Question

I don't see why not. Probably not a centaur or giant or merperson, though, since I don't really think of them as "animals". And a magical animagus would be much less useful, since one would have to be sure not to be seen by Muggles - no running along to the train station to see a godson off, for instance. Still, it could have its uses.

I competed in the TriWizard Tournament!

Daniel Pinkwater: The Yggyssey

Join the Fanfiction Author Deathmatch - signups for round five are NOW!
Old October 8th, 2008, 3:39 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelabookworm View Post
Right, I' nopt quite sure if this is where I should post this, I've always been **** at figuring stuff like that out.
Anyway my question: Couls an animagus transform into a magical animal? Like a centaur? Or a fairy? Or a knargle? If they couldn't, ummm why not?
Sure. It would probably require more effort though. I'd image there are some that are impossibly hard though, like maybe a dragon. *shrug*

Great first post by the way!

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ø ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old October 8th, 2008, 4:20 am
First Year

hmm.. perhaps they can. I've always sort of imagined that if Dumbledore was to be an Animagus he would be a phoenix. There wouldn't be any other animal that would suite him better.
And just like in case with Patronuses (Dumbledore's is a phoenix, Tonks's is a werewolf...) I think that might be implied to the animagus form, too.

Also, don't forget to check your favorite Curse Breaker's thoughts:
Bill Weasley's blog now available to all wizards and witches
HERE
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak