Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

ABC Family's Versions of the HP movies

Old June 19th, 2015, 11:14 pm
Third Year

Re: ABC Family's Versions of the HP movies

Thanks! That will keep me from wearing out my Zap2it link for a while. I don't know if we'll get the HBO preview on our cable system, we had one not too long ago and I did get to see GOF then, sure didn't miss that Hogwarts song, but I did miss the other extras. Guess I'll have to get my HP fix in July by getting the new HP Funko collection and the Hallmark ornament that come out during the month

Old July 9th, 2015, 12:57 am
Third Year

Just saw on Zap2it that the regular ABC channel will be showing COS on Saturday, July 18th. It starts a 8 p.m. and goes through 11 (EST time)

Old July 10th, 2015, 12:49 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattyc View Post
Just saw on Zap2it that the regular ABC channel will be showing COS on Saturday, July 18th. It starts a 8 p.m. and goes through 11 (EST time)
I thought I told you to stop searching. Knew you wouldn't. You just can't help it.

Old July 10th, 2015, 1:46 am
Third Year

Actually, Zap2it is the process of changing their website so I was just playing around. It's not a marathon, not an extended version but it'll do to pass the time away on a Saturday night...and Hot Topic is now selling the COS Harry Funko figure, he's holding the sword of Gryffindor like in the movie

Old July 11th, 2015, 4:12 pm
Second Year

It's okay to get excited this time because A GIANT, FULL MARATHON IS COMING IN TWO WEEKS!!! Starting Friday 7/24 @ 3:30pm SS & COS. Saturday 7/25 @ 7am SS- at least OOTP and prolly more. Will need to update in a day or 2 when the rest becomes clearer. GOF still on HBO thru at least August. My earlier post on no-Potter-July is happily INCORRECT. What can you see in Zap2it land, Brattyc?

Last edited by TrelawneyEyes; July 12th, 2015 at 2:09 am. Reason: typo correct
Old July 11th, 2015, 6:28 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrelawneyEyes View Post
It's okay to get excited this time because A GIANT, FULL MARATHON IS COMING IN TWO WEEKS!!! Starting Friday 7/24 @ 3:30pm SOS & COS. Saturday 7/25 @ 7am SOS- at least OOTP and prolly more. Will need to update in a day or 2 when the rest becomes clearer. GOF still on HBO thru at least August. My earlier post on no-Potter-July is happily INCORRECT. What can you see in Zap2it land, Brattyc?
Just checked, they've only gone through COS on the 25th, but they do only go 2 weeks in advance. I'll keep checking for any updates too. It sure is nice to have it back so soon

Old July 12th, 2015, 11:46 am
Second Year

Update: HBP completes Saturday at 8:30pm-midnight. Can't see Sunday til tomorrow. Crikey, I'd love a dragon.

Last edited by TrelawneyEyes; July 12th, 2015 at 1:46 pm. Reason: Fix time. Thanx Brattyc.
Old July 12th, 2015, 1:38 pm
Third Year

Actually, HBP runs until midnight

He's just a baby after all

Old July 13th, 2015, 11:16 am
Second Year

Update: Sunday shapes up great all day: POA-DH2 8am-midnight. Spiders... the spiders... they want me to tap-dance. And I don't want to tap-dance!

Old July 13th, 2015, 11:39 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Update: Sunday shapes up great all day: POA-DH2 8am-midnight. Spiders... the spiders... they want me to tap-dance. And I don't want to tap-dance!

Okay, here's the full schedule for the new marathon....now we just have to count down the days Oh, don't forget all times are Eastern.

Friday, 7/24 ~
3:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. ~ SS
7:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. ~ COS

Saturday, 7/25 ~
7:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. ~ SS
10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. ~ COS
2:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. ~ POA
5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. ~ OotP
8:30 p.m. - midnight ~ HBP

Sunday, 7/26 ~
8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. ~ POA
11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. ~ OotP
2:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. ~ HBP
5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. ~ DH 1
9:00 p.m. - midnight ~ DH 2

Monday, 7/27 ~
2:30 p.m. - 6 p.m. ~ DH 1
6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. ~ DH 2

Last edited by brattyc; July 14th, 2015 at 12:11 am.
Old July 14th, 2015, 4:34 am
Second Year

Quote:
I remember deciding to flip through the channels to see what else was on tv after watching the weather segment of a local 9 p.m. newscast during the spring of 2009. In doing so, I came across the final 40 minutes of the first HP movie I had ever seen, and I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. The week after that I watched POA and the following week it was GOF. then I started reading the books.

And this all stemmed from my decision to see what else was on tv. (And mind you, this was rather rare for me as I usually watched the 9 p.m. newscast all the way through, commercials and all.)

Old July 14th, 2015, 3:04 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensieve_Seeker View Post
I remember deciding to flip through the channels to see what else was on tv after watching the weather segment of a local 9 p.m. newscast during the spring of 2009. In doing so, I came across the final 40 minutes of the first HP movie I had ever seen, and I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. The week after that I watched POA and the following week it was GOF. then I started reading the books.

And this all stemmed from my decision to see what else was on tv. (And mind you, this was rather rare for me as I usually watched the 9 p.m. newscast all the way through, commercials and all.)
My first Potter exposure was 1 of the films on tv, too. Also a result of channel surfing, it was HBP on HBO in October 2010 (late to the party) a few weeks before DH1 was released in theaters. I didn't give it my full attention during the first viewing (one eye on the computer screen, one eye on the tv w/ the sound off), just wanted to see if there was anything I might like and if so come back later for a more attentive viewing (HBO does LOTS of reruns). What drew me in initially was the tower assassination scene. I didn't know at the time the significance of the scene but I liked the way it was shot, edited, and lit (props to Bruno, Yates and Day). It's still my favorite film (over 100 viewings) and favorite scene in the series (more like 200). Around the middle of the following November, ABCF had what was my first marathon (SS-OOTP) just prior to the release of DH1. By then I had already seen HBP a dozen times and was ready for the rest, or at least the beginning and middle, of the story. It was WAY too much to absorb in one weekend, but highly enjoyable. Luckily there was a second marathon just 3 weeks later (my first 25 days of Christmas) and I had also DVR'd the first five films and was rerunning them. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So for me, like you, the initial joy of discovery had come from the films, not the books (I used the internet for narrative exposition). It's why I look forward to and enjoy the marathons so much. That's why 98% of my 115 posts are in this thread. I'm always trying to recreate and relive the emotional memory from the first exposures to each of the films and am successful at that a good deal of the time. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On a side note, expect GOF to return to ABCF in the coming months(Sept-Dec) , perhaps the marathon following this one, if the pattern of the first 3 films is followed. Maybe OOTP goes to HBO then,too.

Quote:
Okay, here's the full schedule for the new marathon....now we just have to count down the days Oh, don't forget all times are Eastern.

Friday, 7/24 ~
3:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. ~ SS
7:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. ~ COS

Saturday, 7/25 ~
7:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. ~ SS
10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. ~ COS
2:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. ~ POA
5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. ~ OotP
8:30 p.m. - midnight ~ HBP

Sunday, 7/26 ~
8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. ~ POA
11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. ~ OotP
2:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. ~ HBP
5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. ~ DH 1
9:00 p.m. - midnight ~ DH 2

Monday, 7/27 ~
2:30 p.m. - 6 p.m. ~ DH 1
6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. ~ DH 2
This is my favorite page on all the internet. Nice formatting, Brattyc.

Last edited by TrelawneyEyes; July 14th, 2015 at 11:37 pm.
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:18 pm
Third Year

Looks like I'm in good company, I too was a late bloomer. I think I came across one of the early movies channel surfing and thought it looked interesting. Then I started to talk to my daughter, she's been a Potterhead since the beginning, she told me to check out the books but I put it off. Then I saw more movies and it was just about the time the complete series came out in paperback, so I ordered it from Amazon (the place has fed my Potter addiction since then). My first theater movie was HBP and for some reason I only went once but that all changed with DH 1-my first midnight showing! I saw it again a few hours later (after a few hours sleep) and 5 more times after that. I got my midnight showing ticket for DH 2 as soon as they became available...then I went again to the first airing the next day and that was the beginning of seeing it 8 more times. When I realized it was leaving the theater that weekend, I hurried home from work and went one last time then started the countdown to when the Dvd would be out. I remember going to Borders one day and the place was packed, the lines wrapped around the store twice with people waiting to check out...they had to open a special non-Potter line for those of us that were clueless (I wasn't after that) I wish now I would have been there for the midnight selling of the books, I hear it was as much fun as the movies.

Quote:
This is my favorite page on all the internet. Nice formatting, Brattyc.
Thanks

Old July 16th, 2015, 6:27 am
Second Year

I enjoyed reading your HP intro stories, TrelawnwyEyes and brattyc.

Old July 17th, 2015, 12:09 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I enjoyed reading your HP intro stories, TrelawnwyEyes and brattyc.
I enjoyed reading your story too, Pensieve_Seeker. It prompted me to tell mine.

Old July 19th, 2015, 1:48 am
Second Year

I know COS is on right now, but I'm not going to watch it until 9:20. I want to see if I can relive that moment when I first saw it.

Old July 19th, 2015, 2:28 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I know COS is on right now, but I'm not going to watch it until 9:20. I want to see if I can relive that moment when I first saw it.
What was the first scene at that point? I'll guess diary & Harry or flashback w/ Christian Coulson.

Old July 19th, 2015, 3:02 pm
Second Year

Quote:
What was the first scene at that point? I'll guess diary & Harry or flashback w/ Christian Coulson.
It turns out that the weather segment didn't end until closer to 9:30, so I guess they moved it. Anyway, by then Harry was already in the chamber with Tom and it was just before he did that thing with his name. (I probably should have mentioned that I live in the central time zone.) I can distinctly remember Harry saying something weird and the huge snake door opening the first time I saw it.

Hermione's return was edited out as was Hagrid telling everyone he's sorry he's late because of Errol.

ETA: I did some checking and it turns out the first time I saw a HP movie was on April 25, 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Sa...ie_of_the_Week

Last edited by Pensieve_Seeker; July 19th, 2015 at 5:06 pm. Reason: Wanted to add something.
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:50 pm
Second Year

I need some help from the forum readers answering a question. In DH2 there's a scene early on where Harry interviews Griphook at shell cottage. They converse about the sword in Bella's vault at Gringott's. Hermoine asks "Who is the acquaintance?". My question is what does "acquaintance" mean in this context? I know it's Snape but what is an acquaintance? Perhaps someone who read the book can tell me. I can't find the answer anywhere on the web. Any help appreciated, even a partial answer.

Last edited by TrelawneyEyes; July 28th, 2015 at 12:45 pm.
Old August 7th, 2015, 2:42 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
I need some help from the forum readers answering a question. In DH2 there's a scene early on where Harry interviews Griphook at shell cottage. They converse about the sword in Bella's vault at Gringott's. Hermoine asks "Who is the acquaintance?". My question is what does "acquaintance" mean in this context? I know it's Snape but what is an acquaintance? Perhaps someone who read the book can tell me. I can't find the answer anywhere on the web. Any help appreciated, even a partial answer.
In this context it just means "person." Hermione was asking who placed it into the vault, knowing both that it wasn't Bellatrix herself, and that she couldn't suggest that Griphook had any nefarious or unethical purpose or even specific knowledge of the person. It was Hermione being extremely nervous and diplomatic, and trying to get a measured answer with a measured question.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies