Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3



 
 
Thread Tools
  #101  
Old December 4th, 2010, 3:00 am
ignisia's Avatar
ignisia  Female.gif ignisia is offline
Leader of the GLITTELUTION
 
Joined: 5152 days
Location: Sitting in a Tin Can
Age: 31
Posts: 4,418
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Min, your post sparked my curiosity and reminded me of something I'd read ages ago. So I did some very quick research. Sources are very few (the LOST encyclopedia has it and wiki and Hero with a Thousand Faces doesn't ), but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.listology.com/list/character-archetypes
Shapeshifter -- The Shapeshifter's mask misleads the Hero by hiding a character's intentions and loyalties
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.svsoft.com/Archetypes,%20Myths%20and%20Characters.htm
The shapeshifter changes role or personality, often in significant ways, and is hard to understand. That very changeability is the essence of this archetype. The shapeshifter's alliances and loyalty are uncertain, and the sincerity of his claims is often questionable. This keeps the hero off guard....
The shapeshifter is sometimes a catalyst whose changing nature forces changes in the hero, but the normal role is to bring suspense into a story by forcing the reader, along with the hero, to question beliefs and assumptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mgoodin68/archtype.htm#The%20Shapeshifter
Regardless, a shapeshifter's job is usually to dazzle, confuse, lie to, occasionally help and delay a protagonist. If your heroine is constantly wondering whether a subcharacter is friend or foe, and "Just whose side is she on this week?" you can be sure you have a shapeshifter in your cast of characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://annezo.net/fiction/archetype.html
If you find yourself wondering if a character is going to betray the Hero, if the character is an ally or an enemy, that character is probably a Shapeshifter.
Of course, Snape's allegiances don't really change after Lily is targeted (except, perhaps, to progress and solidify), so this could be a problematic point, but I do see some similarity here.
I also quite like the second paragraph of the second source. It reminds me of DH and how Harry changes his mind about Snape's loyalties.

(If anyone can find a more reputable source, I'd love to learn more. )


__________________
I am incapable of hating someone who, instead of using a spell to guard the Sorcerer's Stone, uses a logic puzzle.
I'm sorry.



VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Avatar by SIP

Last edited by ignisia; December 4th, 2010 at 3:02 am.
Sponsored Links
  #102  
Old December 4th, 2010, 3:12 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6183 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 59
Posts: 9,778
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
SIP, I'm with you when it comes to interviews with JKR. I think there are so many that were done at times when she was trying to keep the upcoming books, especially DH, a secret that it became difficult for her not to be misleading in some of her statements. Has she said much about Severus' character since everthing came out or is she still holding back until the last film is released?
She hasn't been saying much lately about any of it, but nothing about Snape as far as I know.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
  #103  
Old December 4th, 2010, 4:08 am
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 4732 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Min, your post sparked my curiosity and reminded me of something I'd read ages ago. So I did some very quick research. Sources are very few (the LOST encyclopedia has it and wiki and Hero with a Thousand Faces doesn't ), but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.listology.com/list/character-archetypes
Shapeshifter -- The Shapeshifter's mask misleads the Hero by hiding a character's intentions and loyalties


Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.svsoft.com/Archetypes,%20...Characters.htm
The shapeshifter changes role or personality, often in significant ways, and is hard to understand. That very changeability is the essence of this archetype. The shapeshifter's alliances and loyalty are uncertain, and the sincerity of his claims is often questionable. This keeps the hero off guard....
The shapeshifter is sometimes a catalyst whose changing nature forces changes in the hero, but the normal role is to bring suspense into a story by forcing the reader, along with the hero, to question beliefs and assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mgoo...20Shapeshifter
Regardless, a shapeshifter's job is usually to dazzle, confuse, lie to, occasionally help and delay a protagonist. If your heroine is constantly wondering whether a subcharacter is friend or foe, and "Just whose side is she on this week?" you can be sure you have a shapeshifter in your cast of characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://annezo.net/fiction/archetype.html
If you find yourself wondering if a character is going to betray the Hero, if the character is an ally or an enemy, that character is probably a Shapeshifter.

Of course, Snape's allegiances don't really change after Lily is targeted (except, perhaps, to progress and solidify), so this could be a problematic point, but I do see some similarity here.
I also quite like the second paragraph of the second source. It reminds me of DH and how Harry changes his mind about Snape's loyalties.

(If anyone can find a more reputable source, I'd love to learn more. )

We could just call him a "Snapeshifter." Oh, that's so awful I even made myself groan.

Like you said, Severus' allegiance don't really change, but, there are times that even some of us died-in-the-wool Snape Fans were wondering if a great Legilimens like Dumbledore could be fooled and Severus was really on Voldy's side after all.

The one statement that shook me a bit was when Severus asked Dumbledore why he didn't confide in him about Harry's fate before and Dumbledore talks about putting his eggs all in a basket "especially one that spends so much time hanging on Voldemort's arm" (if that's not exact, I think it's pretty close). For a second I wondered if Dumbledore was doubting Sev. Then, I figured he was just being cautious because, if something had given Severus away and Voldemort had been able to get any information (through extreme torture or Legilimency) the jig would have been up. They were walking a very, very thin line and there no room for error if they were going to succeed.

Except for the loyalties thing, though, Shapeshifter does pretty much describe Severus character. And, JKR did do some misdirecting there, even, trying to throw us off.


Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
She hasn't been saying much lately about any of it, but nothing about Snape as far as I know.
I wish she would come out with a "Now that this is all over...." interview and really tell us what was going through her mind as she was writing Sev's character. We only have the little snippets that are so spread out it's hard to really know what she thinks of him.


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
  #104  
Old December 4th, 2010, 7:57 am
giftedkid527  Male.gif giftedkid527 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3519 days
Location: Southern US
Posts: 185
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon_drop View Post
No, she didn't. Voldemort is the one who was directly responsible for her death, because he was the one who actually killed her. And why do you blame Snape anyway? Why not Draco? Or Narcissa? Or Bellatrix? They were also present and they, too, chose not to save Charity, so why should Snape be held responsible and not them?



Following your logic, one can just as easily blame Lily for saving Harry's life, thus making it possible for him to grow up and end up being transferred by the Order and ultimately killing Moody.
All the people at the meeting were directly responsible for the death. They all could've stopped it.


  #105  
Old December 4th, 2010, 7:59 am
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4729 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
.
I wish she would come out with a "Now that this is all over...." interview and really tell us what was going through her mind as she was writing Sev's character. We only have the little snippets that are so spread out it's hard to really know what she thinks of him.
I don't think it is hard to know what Rowling thinks of Snape. She gave her final definition of him.

"Snape is vindictive, he's cruel. He's not a big man. But he loves. I like him, but I'd also like to slap him hard."

I think for Rowling, Snape is over and done with. As she is the one who created him, his every action, his every thought and his every motive, I for one am content with her final thought on him. I don't need her to say that the Snape, that IMO she did an excellent job in portraying needs any more explanation. What she showed in the books, and what she said about him later is all the explanation needed. For good or ill, Snape is over with.


  #106  
Old December 4th, 2010, 8:03 am
snapes_witch's Avatar
snapes_witch  Female.gif snapes_witch is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5377 days
Location: afternoon tea at Granny's
Posts: 2,973
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
For good or ill, Snape is over with.
Yes, as are the rest of the Harry Potter characters . . .

All is well.


__________________

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
  #107  
Old December 4th, 2010, 8:05 am
giftedkid527  Male.gif giftedkid527 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3519 days
Location: Southern US
Posts: 185
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
It also seemed that JKR's reaction changed over time. Because while at first she would dissuade people from liking Snape too much, and she said he was a 'deeply horrible person', in the end she claimed that he was a good man inside anyway.
Where does she claim such?


  #108  
Old December 4th, 2010, 8:07 am
snapes_witch's Avatar
snapes_witch  Female.gif snapes_witch is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5377 days
Location: afternoon tea at Granny's
Posts: 2,973
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
Where does she claim such?
Check my sig.


__________________

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
  #109  
Old December 4th, 2010, 8:07 am
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4729 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Yes, as are the rest of the Harry Potter characters . . .

All is well.
What more is needed really. Well it would be nice to have the very last film. I've given up hope for The Scottish Book.


  #110  
Old December 4th, 2010, 8:54 am
FutureAuthor13's Avatar
FutureAuthor13  Female.gif FutureAuthor13 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3656 days
Location: Scotland or wherever Remus is!
Age: 25
Posts: 787
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

I think we can all agree on Snape's sheer complexity; I feel he can be placed in many categories in literature just because he can be intepreted in many different ways, as his character his that real, that human.

Now, I offer up another point of discussion: in Harry's very first Potions lesson, when Snape is questioning Harry about powdered root of asphodel etc, Harry keeps on forcing himself to look straight into Snape's eyes the entire time. (Not exact quote, but something along those lines).

I wonder if that aggravated Snape further? (I'm not saying this is Harry's fault at all, here. ) For the first time in years, Lily's eyes were staring at him constantly, bringing up intense emotions of grief and regret. I think Snape dealt with this by lashing out at Harry further, asking more and more questions. Only later, once he'd calmed down, I think he was able to realise that Harry had read the Potions books over the Summer- once again due to Harry's determenation to keep looking into Snape's eyes. (When Harry is looking at Snape, he voices frustratedly in his mind that he had read the Potions Books, but wasn't able to remember every exact detail within them).

Just my opinion.


__________________
Jo FINDS me to be in .
Avatar by icandothat on LJ.
  #111  
Old December 4th, 2010, 9:30 am
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4729 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureAuthor13 View Post
I think we can all agree on Snape's sheer complexity; I feel he can be placed in many categories in literature just because he can be intepreted in many different ways, as his character his that real, that human.

Now, I offer up another point of discussion: in Harry's very first Potions lesson, when Snape is questioning Harry about powdered root of asphodel etc, Harry keeps on forcing himself to look straight into Snape's eyes the entire time. (Not exact quote, but something along those lines).

I wonder if that aggravated Snape further? (I'm not saying this is Harry's fault at all, here. ) For the first time in years, Lily's eyes were staring at him constantly, bringing up intense emotions of grief and regret. I think Snape dealt with this by lashing out at Harry further, asking more and more questions. Only later, once he'd calmed down, I think he was able to realise that Harry had read the Potions books over the Summer- once again due to Harry's determenation to keep looking into Snape's eyes. (When Harry is looking at Snape, he voices frustratedly in his mind that he had read the Potions Books, but wasn't able to remember every exact detail within them).

Just my opinion.

If this is the way it went, it is simply the first time we see Snape being extremely unfair to Harry and projecting his sins onto Harry's shoulders. The thing is Harry does not look into Snape's eyes the entire time. Here is the passage:

"Potter!" said Snape suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered
root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"
Powdered root of what to an infusion of what? Harry glanced at Ron, who
looked as stumped as he was; Hermione's hand had shot into the air.
"I don't know, sir," said Harry.
Snape's lips curled into a sneer.
"Tut, tut -- fame clearly isn't everything."
He ignored Hermione's hand.
"Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me
a bezoar?"
Hermione stretched her hand as high into the air as it would go without
her leaving her seat, but Harry didn't have the faintest idea what a
bezoar was. He tried not to look at Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, who were
shaking with laughter.
"I don't know, sir." "Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming,
eh, Potter?" Harry forced himself to keep looking straight into those
cold eyes. He had looked through his books at the Dursleys', but did
Snape expect him to remember everything in One Thousand Magical Herbs
and Fungi?
Snape was still ignoring Hermione's quivering hand.
"What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?"
At this, Hermione stood up, her hand stretching toward the dungeon
ceiling.
"I don't know," said Harry quietly. "I think Hermione does, though, why
don't you try her?"
A few people laughed; Harry caught Seamus's eye, and Seamus winked.
Snape, however, was not pleased.
"Sit down," he snapped at Hermione. "For your information, Potter
JK Rowling, The Philosopher's Stone.

Harry notices too much of what is going on around him really to be looking constantly into Snape's eyes. He is trying, probably because it's impolite not to look at someone who is speaking to you, especially if it is a teacher. One would have thought that as Snape is the, adult who knew what happened he would have thought not to engage with Harry at all. He is the one who keeps asking the questions and Harry is very polite in his answer to the first two questions. The exchange deteriorates when Snape makes the crack about Ha not opening any books. If Snape is indeed using Legilimency here, he knows better. But I don't think he is, why would he be using such an invasive spell on a child?


  #112  
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:31 am
FutureAuthor13's Avatar
FutureAuthor13  Female.gif FutureAuthor13 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3656 days
Location: Scotland or wherever Remus is!
Age: 25
Posts: 787
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
If this is the way it went, it is simply the first time we see Snape being extremely unfair to Harry and projecting his sins onto Harry's shoulders. The thing is Harry does not look into Snape's eyes the entire time. Here is the passage:

"Potter!" said Snape suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered
root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"
Powdered root of what to an infusion of what? Harry glanced at Ron, who
looked as stumped as he was; Hermione's hand had shot into the air.
"I don't know, sir," said Harry.
Snape's lips curled into a sneer.
"Tut, tut -- fame clearly isn't everything."
He ignored Hermione's hand.
"Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me
a bezoar?"
Hermione stretched her hand as high into the air as it would go without
her leaving her seat, but Harry didn't have the faintest idea what a
bezoar was. He tried not to look at Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, who were
shaking with laughter.
"I don't know, sir." "Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming,
eh, Potter?" Harry forced himself to keep looking straight into those
cold eyes. He had looked through his books at the Dursleys', but did
Snape expect him to remember everything in One Thousand Magical Herbs
and Fungi?
Snape was still ignoring Hermione's quivering hand.
"What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?"
At this, Hermione stood up, her hand stretching toward the dungeon
ceiling.
"I don't know," said Harry quietly. "I think Hermione does, though, why
don't you try her?"
A few people laughed; Harry caught Seamus's eye, and Seamus winked.
Snape, however, was not pleased.
"Sit down," he snapped at Hermione. "For your information, Potter
JK Rowling, The Philosopher's Stone.

Harry notices too much of what is going on around him really to be looking constantly into Snape's eyes. He is trying, probably because it's impolite not to look at someone who is speaking to you, especially if it is a teacher. One would have thought that as Snape is the, adult who knew what happened he would have thought not to engage with Harry at all. He is the one who keeps asking the questions and Harry is very polite in his answer to the first two questions. The exchange deteriorates when Snape makes the crack about Ha not opening any books. If Snape is indeed using Legilimency here, he knows better. But I don't think he is, why would he be using such an invasive spell on a child?
I don't think he was deliberately using Legilimency on Harry- in my opinion, if one is so experienced in a "mind-reading" art, they will be able to read certain thoughts and emotions through use of eye contact without using direct Legilimency. Also, since Snape is very good at acting (HBP- 2nd chapter), I'd say his ability to read people is doubled in strength. Unfotunately, he lets unfair prejudices (such as the passage you quoted) cloud his otherwise excellent skills-I think Snape lets his past make a very incorrect judgement of Harry's character until HBP/DH-when he finally puts the past behind him.

This is just my opinion and how I intepret Occlumency to work, however.


__________________
Jo FINDS me to be in .
Avatar by icandothat on LJ.
  #113  
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:45 am
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4729 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureAuthor13 View Post
I don't think he was deliberately using Legilimency on Harry- in my opinion, if one is so experienced in a "mind-reading" art, they will be able to read certain thoughts and emotions through use of eye contact without using direct Legilimency. Also, since Snape is very good at acting (HBP- 2nd chapter), I'd say his ability to read people is doubled in strength. Unfotunately, he lets unfair prejudices (such as the passage you quoted) cloud his otherwise excellent skills-I think Snape lets his past make a very incorrect judgement of Harry's character until HBP/DH-when he finally puts the past behind him.

This is just my opinion and how I intepret Occlumency to work, however.
Well I have to admit Legilimency confuses me. It all seems very vague, especially how Snape explains it to Harry later. But it has been 10 years since Snape has used Legilimency. I think he may have got out of the habit of invading people's minds. I really don't think Dumbledore would have been pleased with Snape if he had been found out practising on fellow teachers and innocent children. It is extremely invasive.


  #114  
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:19 am
Chrysalis's Avatar
Chrysalis  Undisclosed.gif Chrysalis is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 6157 days
Location: in my leisure suite
Posts: 2,899
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Well if anything Literary Science 101 taught me is that authorial intent matters not a great deal, actually, to literary analysis. But maybe that's too deep for this forum.


  #115  
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:21 am
FutureAuthor13's Avatar
FutureAuthor13  Female.gif FutureAuthor13 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3656 days
Location: Scotland or wherever Remus is!
Age: 25
Posts: 787
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
Well I have to admit Legilimency confuses me. It all seems very vague, especially how Snape explains it to Harry later. But it has been 10 years since Snape has used Legilimency. I think he may have got out of the habit of invading people's minds. I really don't think Dumbledore would have been pleased with Snape if he had been found out practising on fellow teachers and innocent children. It is extremely invasive.
I don't mean that Snape was intentionally invading Harry's mind or that he practised doing so on teachers and students. I just think that's possible for him to be able to read certain thoughts/emotions that other people are experiencing without applying direct Legilimency; it may just be a kind of side-effect of being an Occlumens; especially one as experienced as Snape. If Snape were applying direct Occlumency is Philosohper's Stone on Harry, I think the world would "shimmer" and the thing Snape wants to find out would be brought to the front of Harry's mind; like in HBP after the Sectumsempra incident.

It's just how I interpret it- I agree that Rowling has kept the workings of Occlumency intentionally very vague so we can merely speculate about the finer details of them.


__________________
Jo FINDS me to be in .
Avatar by icandothat on LJ.
  #116  
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:41 am
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4729 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Well if anything Literary Science 101 taught me is that authorial intent matters not a great deal, actually, to literary analysis. But maybe that's too deep for this forum.
Actually if Aspects of Literature taught me anything, it is that following your own instinct in Literary Analysis can be dangerous because you are then in danger of projecting your own conceptions on the work. I found myself the best way was to take a step back, look at everything including authorial intent and then find your way through to understanding. Also, keep in mind that there is more than one way to study and respect other peoples opinions.


  #117  
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:43 am
Chrysalis's Avatar
Chrysalis  Undisclosed.gif Chrysalis is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 6157 days
Location: in my leisure suite
Posts: 2,899
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

I would agree that taking a step back is important. I'm just not sure that author's intent is something to elevate above all else.

Also, where does it say that it's been 10 years since Snape used Legilimency?


  #118  
Old December 4th, 2010, 1:21 pm
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4834 days
Posts: 6,026
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureAuthor13 View Post
If Snape found out about the DA in OOTP (I think it was likely that Dumbledore would've told him before leaving Hogwarts), what do you think his reaction would be to the idea? Do you think that he would be pleased/satisfied that students were trying to rise up against Umbridge (whom, in my opinion, he disliked very much) or do you think he would've thought that Harry was trying to get attention, and compared the boy with James again?
I don't think he would have minded; he would have been satisfied, but would have wanted them to make sure that they would keep it absolutely secret.

Quote:
Posted by Future Author
I don't mean that Snape was intentionally invading Harry's mind or that he practised doing so on teachers and students. I just think that's possible for him to be able to read certain thoughts/emotions that other people are experiencing without applying direct Legilimency; it may just be a kind of side-effect of being an Occlumens; especially one as experienced as Snape.
I agree. I do think Snape had this talent and I think Dumbledore had it too; all that penetrating looks from Dumbledore where Harry felt he was seeing right through him for example. While Dumbledore or Snape may have been employing Legilimency, it is also possible that they could have been simply reading Harry's body language, employing amagical version of Kinesics and being able to read surface thoughts, at certain times of excitement or stress or happiness which may be too loud to be hidden naturally.

Quote:
From Wikipedia
Kinesics is the interpretation of body language such as facial expressions and gestures — or, more formally, non-verbal behavior related to movement, either of any part of the body or the body as a whole.

The term was first used (in 1952) by Ray Birdwhistell, an anthropologist who wished to study how people communicate through posture, gesture, stance, and movement. Part of Birdwhistell's work involved making film of people in social situations and analyzing them to show different levels of communication not clearly seen otherwise.
One example of that would be in POA, where Harry's thoughts and body language probably screamed out to Snape.

Quote:
POA - Snape's Grudge
"So," he said straightening up again. "Everyone from the Minister of Magic downward has been trying to keep famous Harry Potter safe from Sirius Black. But famous Harry Potter is a law unto himself. Let the ordinary people worry about his safety! Famous Harry Potter goes where he wants to, with no thought for the consequences."

Harry stayed silent. Snape was trying to provoke him into telling the truth. He wasn’t going to do it. Snape had no proof __ yet.
bold mine

Harry's thoughts in the given paragraph could have been easily read by Snape even if he was not employing Legilimency, because Harry's nervousness, his anger at being caught out by Snape and the fear that everyone from Dumbledore and McGonagall would know he was disobeying a rule he was specifically asked to follow, could have in some manner communicated to Snape.


__________________
The man who, in my opinion, won the war against Voldemort for Harry Potter and the Light! Severus Snape!

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
  #119  
Old December 4th, 2010, 2:25 pm
ccollinsmith's Avatar
ccollinsmith  Female.gif ccollinsmith is offline
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
 
Joined: 3848 days
Location: The Village
Posts: 2,273
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
I don't think it is hard to know what Rowling thinks of Snape. She gave her final definition of him.

"Snape is vindictive, he's cruel. He's not a big man. But he loves. I like him, but I'd also like to slap him hard."

I think for Rowling, Snape is over and done with.
Actually, it's not as simple as that one quote. The only thing constant about JKR's interview quotes on Snape are their contradictions. She says he's a bully. She says he's a good guy. She says he's a flawed hero. She even says that Harry - "like Snape" - is a flawed human being (her comparison, not mine).

If I can glean anything about authorial intent from her 2007 interviews it is that her intent is either to explore as many facets of this complex character as possible (rather than reduce him to simple categories) or it is to keep the waters as muddy as possible so that she can enjoy the debates that she admits to enjoying.


__________________



Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference


VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
  #120  
Old December 4th, 2010, 2:27 pm
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6183 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 59
Posts: 9,778
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGW
Quote:
POA - Snape's Grudge
"So," he said straightening up again. "Everyone from the Minister of Magic downward has been trying to keep famous Harry Potter safe from Sirius Black. But famous Harry Potter is a law unto himself. Let the ordinary people worry about his safety! Famous Harry Potter goes where he wants to, with no thought for the consequences."

Harry stayed silent. Snape was trying to provoke him into telling the truth. He wasn’t going to do it. Snape had no proof __ yet.
bold mine

Harry's thoughts in the given paragraph could have been easily read by Snape even if he was not employing Legilimency, because Harry's nervousness, his anger at being caught out by Snape and the fear that everyone from Dumbledore and McGonagall would know he was disobeying a rule he was specifically asked to follow, could have in some manner communicated to Snape.
I think Snape was naturally intuitive, and that made him a good Legillimens. By the time he dealt with Harry, he had been a teacher and Head of House for years, so he could tell when a child was lying - just as most parents and teachers can in the real world. Children often aren't that hard to read, and since Harry is usually bold and looks Snape in the eye, it's pretty easy to figure out that when Harry avoids eye contact he is probably lying.

Before we start berating Snape for being a Legillimens, let's recall that Dumbledore was also one and he didn't have to "attack" anyone to use that skill. He probably used Legillimency on Kreacher to find out about his betrayal, and he also used Legillimency on Harry in HBP to discover that he was upset about the Prophecy:

HBPDumbledore: 'What has happened to you?'

'Nothing,' lied Harry promptly.

'What has upset you?'

'I'm not upset.'

'Harry, you were never a good Occlumens -'


Being a Legillimens isn't evil in itself, and I think it's clear from the text that Snape did not enjoy teaching Occlumency to Harry by attacking him that way. He even says so over and over and besides that it wasn't Snape's idea to begin with - he was following orders because he thought it was a way Harry could learn to protect himself. He had no idea the Head-Crux and Harry's curiosity would render the whole process null and void.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
severus snape, snape, snape ate my hamster, version gazillion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 1:32 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.