Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Questions about Animagi v. 2

Old October 8th, 2008, 3:26 am
Fourth Year

Re: Animagus Question

I think it's possible that an animagus can transform into magical creatures, but I don't think they can transform into centaurs, merpeople, goblins and creatures like that. They are not animals, they are people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestreasure View Post
It would probably require more effort though.
Yes, it's probably harder, because of the magical properties.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!

Last edited by Morning_Star; October 8th, 2008 at 3:29 am.
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2008, 1:34 pm
First Year

It would've been a nice twist if Voldemort had transformed into the Basilisk. I wonder if he would've be able to do it after all the improvements he made on himself. Probably yes, I guess it just didn't fit into his plans.

Old October 8th, 2008, 1:48 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariella View Post
It would've been a nice twist if Voldemort had transformed into the Basilisk. I wonder if he would've be able to do it after all the improvements he made on himself. Probably yes, I guess it just didn't fit into his plans.

Omg I can totally see him transforming into a Basilisk. Harry even called the Basilisk a creature-Voldemort! Even other creatures feared to speak its name!

Old October 8th, 2008, 10:01 pm
Second Year

Being able to transform into magical creatures would be so awesome! I'd love to be a fairy or a skrewt, of course! you'd have to be careful though wouldn't you? I mean if you transformed into a creature that was hunted or squished regularly, things could get tricky!

Slytherin and Spectacular
'I'm very brave generally, only today I happen to have a headache' - Lewis Carroll

Old October 8th, 2008, 11:24 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Re: Questions about Animagi v. 2

You must not forget that you have little influence on what animal you become. It's mostly determined by your character. You could end up as a slug.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:31 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
You must not forget that you have little influence on what animal you become. It's mostly determined by your character. You could end up as a slug.
Well, I don't know... You PROBABLY have more control than that, but I do agree that you can't just choose and that your character is a major factor.

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ř ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old October 9th, 2008, 8:54 pm
First Year

Out of curiosity: how would you call witches or wizards who can turn into furniture like Slughorn? Fournirmagus?

Old October 9th, 2008, 9:27 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariella View Post
Out of curiosity: how would you call witches or wizards who can turn into furniture like Slughorn? Fournirmagus?
This is another kind of transfiguration. Like Krum giving himself an sharks head. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestreasure View Post
Well, I don't know... You PROBABLY have more control than that, but I do agree that you can't just choose and that your character is a major factor.

Does the animal one turns into as an Animagi reflect your personality?

Very well deduced, Narri! I personally would like to think that I would transform into an otter, which is my favorite animal. Imagine how horrible it would be if I turned out to be a cockroach!

That's from an interview Jo gave in 2000. Reading this, then it sounds as if you have little control about what animal you will be.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:05 pm
Second Year

Could an animagus form be a werewolf?

"It is our choices that show who we truely are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, page 333

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Old October 9th, 2008, 11:12 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nympfadora13 View Post
Could an animagus form be a werewolf?
As werewolves are magical beings and we have concluded that you probably can transform in one, I'd say yes.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:26 pm
Second Year

Quote:
As werewolves are magical beings and we have concluded that you probably can transform in one, I'd say yes.
Awesome!!!!!!!!!! werewolfs are so cool

I have another question, why is it so hard to turn into an animagus?

"It is our choices that show who we truely are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, page 333

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Old October 9th, 2008, 11:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nympfadora13 View Post
I have another question, why is it so hard to turn into an animagus?
It probably needs a lot of practice. At first you might get the result Hermione did after she put a cat's hair in the Polyjuice potion. It must be very hard since the whole body morphs into a totally different form. Maybe the fact that the underage wizards succeeded in doing it leaves an impression it' s not that hard. But again, Harry wasn't supposed to make a Patronus at his age...

Old November 4th, 2008, 6:43 am
Lycanthrope

But after you become an animagus, the actual turning is easy. McGonagall and Sirius - as well as Peter all did it realitively quickly and like it was nothing. So just becoming one is the hard part I guess. I wonder if there is a way to "undo" the animagus state - like if you don't wish to be one anymore...

Old November 4th, 2008, 6:55 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
But after you become an animagus, the actual turning is easy. McGonagall and Sirius - as well as Peter all did it realitively quickly and like it was nothing. So just becoming one is the hard part I guess. I wonder if there is a way to "undo" the animagus state - like if you don't wish to be one anymore...
Undo the animagus state? I don't understand. Why not just stop transforming?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old November 4th, 2008, 2:43 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily_potter73 View Post
3. Does the wizard or the witch have the chance of choosing what form they'd like or it's got something to do with the one's character like the patronus?.
I'm not sure - but I have a feeling that maybe you can chose. Mainly because Sirius and James were a stag and a great big dog so that they would be big enough to maintain Remus. And Peter was a rat, so he was small enough to press the knob at the base of the Willow. That makes me think that you can chose. There isnt enough inforamtion about James and Sirius' personalties to suggest that they definatly would have transformed into those animals. But that is just my opinion obviously! I think you can chose. As for it being like the patronus, I think you would chose something that is like you wouldnt you? No one would chose a goat if they didnt like goats would they?
Anyway, I dont really think the patronus is actually a part of your character. Harry's is a stag - because his dad was a stag animagus. That doesnt have anything to do with his personality does it?
Snapes was a Doe - because of Lily.
Tonks - a werewolf, cuz of lupin
But I dont know really. Im probably chatting rubbish!

Quote:
4. If you have the choice what form you'd choose? I'd like a snake.
I dont know! I've always wanted to know whats it like to be a cat... Lazing around all day, napping, playing and eating. What more could u want?

Quote:
6. Does it differ transfering to an insect and to an animal, meaning is it another type of transfiguration?
I'd say no, because Rita Skeeter was a fly - an unregistered Animagus. She didnt just transform herself by a different means of transfiguration. She was an animagi. From what I understood, but then again, Hermione could have been wrong couldnt she? But I doubt it. I think Hermione would have known if there were different ways of transforming.

Twitter @potterlalashley // @lalalaley4ev
Old November 4th, 2008, 6:31 pm
Fifth Year

I really wonder about the choosing your form thing; it seems all the examples we have show either a wizard transforming into an animal they like a lot (McGonagall/cat), or a form that would be useful to their purpose. The stag and the large dog controlling the werewolf, the rat sneaking and triggering the Whomping Willow entrance, and of course Rita Skeeter's beetle making it easier for her to snoop. So perhaps choice is a factor, but perhaps also some choices would be impossible to achieve; if it was too far removed from the witch or wizard's inner self, for example.

As to werewolves -- I would think that if a w/w were an animagus before s/he were bitten, they would retain their animagus form, right? And while it says that Remus was always worn out by his transformation, and that it is difficult to become an animagus, there is no indication that it wears people out to shift to their animagus form once they've achieved it and made it part of their regular lives. There is no mention of Sirius or McGonagall being peaky after spending time as dog or cat.

In fact, spending lots of time in dog shape seemed to be what helped Sirius survive at Azkaban. He couldn't have done it if it were exhausting.

I do wonder, though, how a stag would be helpful in containing a werewolf; to a wolf, a deer is prey, so wouldn't another carnivore have been more of a help?

Old November 4th, 2008, 9:36 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraLovegood View Post

I do wonder, though, how a stag would be helpful in containing a werewolf; to a wolf, a deer is prey, so wouldn't another carnivore have been more of a help?
I see your point, but a dog is prey to a werewolf also. But, a stag is huge isnt it? With massive antlers. Im sure even a werewolf would feel the pain...

Twitter @potterlalashley // @lalalaley4ev

Last edited by TheShley; November 4th, 2008 at 9:37 pm. Reason: correcting spelling mistakes :(
Old November 6th, 2008, 1:14 pm
Lycanthrope

You can't choose your animagus form, it represents your personality and soul in the books (POA Moony, Wormtail, etc./Owl Post Again). Can you imagine Peter choosing to be a rat? .

Lupin said that werewolves are only a danger to humans (POA Moony, Wormtail, etc.). He also said that being around other animals actually caused his mind to clear to some degree; it wasn't as wolfish. That is why the two larger animals were able to contain him around humans.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; November 6th, 2008 at 1:28 pm.
Old November 10th, 2008, 8:50 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Can you imagine Peter choosing to be a rat? .
Not really, but I can imagine James and Sirius twisting Peter's arm so that he'd choose a form that could sneak, spy, and most importantly toggle the Whomping Willow to relax & let them in.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:03 pm
Second Year

Patronouses and Animaguses

If one were to have both a patronous and be an animagus, would they be the same animal?

I think yes as they both are indivivual forms unique to the witch/wizard, but what if your patronous were to change? Would also your animagus form?

Discuss!

W.O.M.B.A.T. 3 Scores: Outstanding
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak