Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Old November 17th, 2017, 3:45 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

So the title and first cast picture were released today. Going by the title, I don't get the impression this is going to be as much about Newt's creatures as the last one was; not sure if that's a good thing or not. It is interesting to see that Credence is in the picture--that's a topic I'm interested in seeing more of. I don't know about Jude Law as Dumbledore in the cast picture--he's not nearly flamboyant enough. Dumbledore should be wearing something other than a relatively restrained dark blue, IMHO.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2017, 4:48 pm
First Year

Re: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

As long as the movie is interesting, exciting and lives up to the reputation of a story by JK, I have no problem with it. There has to be a perfect balance of wonderful story telling and eye catching graphics.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours...

RAVENCLAW

Old January 1st, 2018, 5:45 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
I don't know about Jude Law as Dumbledore in the cast picture--he's not nearly flamboyant enough. Dumbledore should be wearing something other than a relatively restrained dark blue, IMHO.
Yeah, like his purple suit in HBP! Also, shouldn't his hair be auburn colored? I suppose I'm being nitpicky. I generally like Jude Law as an actor, but he just seems a lazy choice.

Old January 4th, 2018, 2:05 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrienie View Post
Yeah, like his purple suit in HBP! Also, shouldn't his hair be auburn colored? I suppose I'm being nitpicky. I generally like Jude Law as an actor, but he just seems a lazy choice.
Although, Jude Law is a very good actor, hopefully he won't disappoint.

I have to say that I never warmed up to Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, he didn't convey the same mischievous twinkle in his eye, nor warmth towards Harry. I thought he never quite portrayed the complexity nor gravitas of Dumbledore. Probably the result of never having read any of the HP books.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old January 4th, 2018, 2:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I have to say that I never warmed up to Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, he didn't convey the same mischievous twinkle in his eye, nor warmth towards Harry. I thought he never quite portrayed the complexity nor gravitas of Dumbledore. Probably the result of never having read any of the HP books.
Ah yes. I don't think we as a fandom will ever get over that.

Old January 9th, 2018, 10:54 am
First Year

Speaking of: https://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-p.../#post12300533

Rowling like bowling, Jude. Rowling like bowling.

Old January 30th, 2018, 7:22 pm
Fourth Year

Hilarious how ironic the title of this movie is considering who plays Grindelwald. Maybe JKR is having a Freudian slip?

Old January 31st, 2018, 5:34 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
Hilarious how ironic the title of this movie is considering who plays Grindelwald. Maybe JKR is having a Freudian slip?
I'm sure the title would have been the same no matter who was cast in the role.

Old February 2nd, 2018, 4:29 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrienie View Post
Ah yes. I don't think we as a fandom will ever get over that.
I wasn't a fan of Gambon at first, but I warmed up to him ok. He grew on me. And it was a decision that was out of his hands since the actor who played the first one passed away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensieve_Seeker View Post
I'm sure the title would have been the same no matter who was cast in the role.
Yea probably. Given the character himself and what he did do.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old February 7th, 2018, 6:00 pm
Snidget of Champions

Interesting times in the HP fandom, with a lot of the faithful seemingly losing trust in JKR, after the Johnny Depp casting defense and the Dumbledore "not explicitly gay" in FB2 comment from David Yates. Interesting take by hpboy13 on MuggleNet:

In Jo We Trust...Or Not

Thoughts?

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old February 8th, 2018, 9:18 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Interesting times in the HP fandom, with a lot of the faithful seemingly losing trust in JKR, after the Johnny Depp casting defense and the Dumbledore "not explicitly gay" in FB2 comment from David Yates. Interesting take by hpboy13 on MuggleNet:

In Jo We Trust...Or Not

Thoughts?
I really just kind of skimmed through this article when I first seen it the other day. I was taken aback by it at first, I think I need to read again though. I've kind of lost interest in some of the things that she says nowadays, I do agree on some of what was mentioned in the article about the whole Cursed Child fiasco, but the whole Johhny issue is a touchy subject. What about the issue with Dumbledore? I read somewhere else that there might still be mention of him in the later films maybe not particularly this next one coming out?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old February 16th, 2018, 9:28 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post

In Jo We Trust...Or Not

Thoughts?
I definitely count myself among those who have lost trust in her. After her defense of Depp, I returned my Cursed Child for a full refund and never looked back. I won't be seeing the FB movies either, not that anyone (and least of all Rowling) cares. I wasn't excited about FB to being with, I didn't see the appeal other than nostalgia. But after she showed her true colors in these #metoo times and after the director's ridiculous statements about how more women would have come forward had the accusations been true, I was fed up. Obviously she can believe whatever she wants and she's entitled to her opinion and politics but I can't respect the fact that she pretended to be pro women's rights, super-liberal, and an LGBT ally, etc, and is now acting in the way she is. If you're conservative (or at least more conservative than your audience/readership) that's fine, you don't have to pretend to be anything else. It's the hypocrisy that gets me because that's what I happen to dislike most in people.

So yeah, that casting was the last straw and when the interview about Dumbledore came out I honestly just laughed. Like what did the fans expect really? It's weird that some fans keep coming up with lame excuses like "well DD's sexuality isn't relevant to the plot". Are. you. kidding. me? The infatuation for Grindelwald is a huge part of why Dumbledore acted the way he did during his youth and why he didn't confront the man sooner. This isn't about LGBT representation, it's about not leaving out such an essential piece of information.

Last edited by Sereena; February 16th, 2018 at 9:30 pm.
Old February 26th, 2018, 11:50 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I wasn't a fan of Gambon at first, but I warmed up to him ok. He grew on me. And it was a decision that was out of his hands since the actor who played the first one passed away.
I think the decision of how Dumbledore was portrayed was totally in Gambon's hands. He took the job, has respect as an actor in the UK, and would have been given considerable freedom in his approach. However, the fact that he said in interview that he never read any of the books (nor planned to), and that he just "usually plays himself" in many roles says it all IMO. An actor does have some responsibility to research his character whether a real person or an established character in a book series.

Old March 15th, 2018, 3:41 am
Second Year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEaYB4rLFQ

Old March 17th, 2018, 4:23 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensieve_Seeker View Post
I don't know how I feel about this...

This portrayal of Dumbledore seems off, and I was excited about Jude Law being cast for the role.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old March 17th, 2018, 6:33 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I don't know how I feel about this...

This portrayal of Dumbledore seems off, and I was excited about Jude Law being cast for the role.
Well, none of us has ever seen Dumbledore as anything other than a very old wizard. I'd guess that even our images of him described when he met Grindelwald as a very young man that it's difficult to imagine anything much different than a very young-looking old Dumbledore. We know he was ultra talented, so likely extremely confident (and maybe a bit cocky) and perhaps a bit reckless. Also, not having the benefit of perspective/learning that comes with age, he would be very different than when we meet him in the books.

Perhaps going back to DH and reading what Aberforth, Bathilda and even Dumbledore says about young Dumbledore, it would be easier to judge the portrayal when the film comes out. Also, if Dumbledore's already teaching at Hogwarts, it's after the break with Grindelwald and his sister's death, so he's changed by it. But I think that a Dumbledore who's quite good looking and knows it is feasible. I did like that they seem to have kept Dumbledore's wry sense of humor intact (when he talks about Newt not following instructions in the trailer).

Last edited by HedwigOwl; March 17th, 2018 at 6:36 am.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 3:30 am
Sixth Year

Well, after seeing the second trailer, I am pretty psyched about the movie. Are there problems with it? Yep.

The biggest problem is Johnny Depp. One, because many, many fans are not okay with the actor as a person right now, and two because his appearance in this movie is terrible. I am completely confused on why they have made him look like that. The white make-up on his skin and the bleached hair is weird. I feel like they're trying to make him look like Voldemort or something. A part of what originally made Grindelwald an interesting character is he looked very attractive and had an intelligent and mischievous air about him. The devil is attractive and disguised as everything Dumbledore wanted. That's kind of ruined by Depp's appearance.

But Depp is the only problem I have with the movies. When we heard the news that Dumbledore would not be explicitly gay in this movie, a lot of people took that as it will never be obvious in any of the movies. But this was only the second movie they were talking about, if I remember right. This is a five-part story. If you ask me, they are going to wait until the end of the 5th film to completely go there 100% right before the duel between Grindelwald and Dumbledore, kind of like the Snape/Lily revelation toward the end of the last movie. I believe it will be a part of the grand finale.

But then in the second trailer, just released, we see Albus Dumbledore looking into the Mirror of Erised. And what does he see? He sees Grindelwald looking back at him. And we hear Dumbledore telling Newt that he can't be the one to face Grindelwald. That seems pretty explicit to me.

It's possible the people who don't remember what the Mirror of Erised will not grasp the meaning of it. They might not remember the Mirror of Erised shows one's deepest and most desperate wishes of the heart. So a lot of the non-hardcore fans will not get it. But it's interesting to note that Dumbledore doesn't see Grindelwald locked up or captured. He just sees Grindelwald as is. Aside from the fact that it's hard to believe Dumbledore would ever desire a face like that, that is pretty darn gay.

We also see Newt's boggart, which is adorably funny, and we get to hear Grindelwald giving a speech about his beliefs. Then we hear Dumbledore giving a short counter-statement that disagrees with Grindelwald. I am interested. I just have to train myself to insert my own mental picture of Grindelwald: natural pale skin, wavy-to-curly yellow-blonde hair. Not the bleached pineapple.

If you don't want to see the movie because you don't support a movie franchise that includes Johnny Depp, good for you. I am too weak to resist seeing it, despite its problems.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007

Last edited by Spirit; July 23rd, 2018 at 3:42 pm.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 4:04 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Well, after seeing the second trailer, I am pretty psyched about the movie.
I agree with this, and with the subsequent discussion in your post. I enjoyed the first movie, and I am certainly interested to see the further adventures of Newt and company, despite the issues of Depp's casting.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old August 11th, 2018, 8:15 am
Lycanthrope

Although a persona non grata, I rather like Johnny Depp in the role, I think he is a great character actor, so he pulls it off brilliantly. I don't really mind the way they chose to depict him. I am looking forward to the movie as I enjoyed the first one.