Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (with spoilers)

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the play and book?
Awesome! Both of them. 2 5.26%
The play is great, but the story doesn't work in book format 4 10.53%
I've lots of emotions on core characters that must not be named 11 28.95%
Mwah... meh... 17 44.74%
The book is awesome, can't wait to see the play! 8 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11th, 2016, 2:56 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Well, it's a Potter book (not a novel as some sites have said), probably safest to say its a story in the Potterverse as the series really was about Harry defeat Voldemort and bring balance to the galaxy.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2016, 4:01 pm
Third Year

Well, it IS being called the official '8th story', and it IS in book form. So technically, yeah, it is the 8th book. It's just not a novel. But I honestly don't mind it being in script form, I'm REALLY excited!!

"You said to us once before that there was time to turn
back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
Old February 11th, 2016, 4:21 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I have mixed feelings about all this news. Are we sure we should be calling it an 8th Harry Potter book? It seems to me like we're stretching the truth here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab
Well, it's a Potter book (not a novel as some sites have said), probably safest to say its a story in the Potterverse as the series really was about Harry defeat Voldemort and bring balance to the galaxy.
I have a hard time calling it the "eighth Harry Potter book," but I'm going by what we've been told that it is officially the eight Potter story that will now be published as a script book:
J.K. Rowling TwitterThe story of #CursedChild should be considered canon, though. @jackthorne, John Tiffany (the director) and I developed it together.
5:34 AM - 29 Jun 2015

To be clear! The SCRIPT of #CursedChild is being published. #NotANovel #NotAPrequel ��
4:19 AM - 11 Feb 2016

The script will be in book form, true, but it's still #NotAPrequel because it's set #19YearsLater
4:57 AM - 11 Feb 2016

Pottermore, 23 October 2015, New details on Cursed Child, the ‘eighth Harry Potter story'It’s official. The Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and we have the synopsis to share with you.

Pottermore, 10 February 2016, Exciting publishing programme from J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding WorldBig things are coming this year from the Wizarding World, including the Special Rehearsal Edition of the script book of new stage play ‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II'.
[...]
It is officially the eighth story in Harry Potter canon and a new play by Jack Thorne.

Now, I wouldn't say it's a continuation of the story told in the seven Harry Potter books, which was wrapped up with DH. However, it does seem to be an extension of the world and a glimpse of Harry's life 19+ years later - different story, but still part of the whole story of Harry's life.

I've seen a couple of articles hoping for 10+ loose ends to be tied up with this story, which I think is overly optimistic. I'd rather this play be more standalone instead of relentless cameos and forced explanations for things that happened in years 1-7.

Edit: In related news, the day after the announcement of the publication, Cursed Child topped bestseller charts on Amazon, Amazon UK, Waterstones, and Barnes & Noble (listed as 320 pages, hardcover). No surprise! Are midnight releases imminent?

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; February 11th, 2016 at 4:58 pm.
Old February 11th, 2016, 7:49 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I have mixed feelings about all this news. Are we sure we should be calling it an 8th Harry Potter book? It seems to me like we're stretching the truth here.
Depends. After all, the script to "Death Of A Salesman" is considered as literature (at least in my neck of the woods it is ).

But we could also call it a "companion" book to the original series?

Old February 11th, 2016, 8:06 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

FYI

This is the 'rehearsal' script, meaning there will probably be many changes before the actual performance. According to SnitchSeeker though, eventually there will be a performance script published. I'm waiting for that one!!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old February 11th, 2016, 9:19 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernZel
But we could also call it a "companion" book to the original series?
This is how I view it so far, but the play so far has been billed as the eight Potter story, which separates it from the existing companion books. Cursed Child seems to toe the line between a sequel (books 2-7) and spin-off (Fantastic Beasts). It doesn't seem to be so much a sequel to DH as it is a continuation of Harry's life and the beginning of a new story within that (i.e., Albus Severus).
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
This is the 'rehearsal' script, meaning there will probably be many changes before the actual performance. According to SnitchSeeker though, eventually there will be a performance script published. I'm waiting for that one!!
It does seem the publication of the rehearsal script is to appease those fans who can't see the play in London, but I expect allegations of money grabbing will follow soon after. The rehearsal edition has been billed as a special edition, though, and may be available for only a short time. Regardless, the definitive copy will likely trump the rehearsal script in terms of canon; it will be interesting to see how much they differ. I also wonder how spoilers will be handled: one would expect more leaks with a play being rehearsed than a novel being printed.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old February 12th, 2016, 7:56 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
It does seem the publication of the rehearsal script is to appease those fans who can't see the play in London, but I expect allegations of money grabbing will follow soon after. The rehearsal edition has been billed as a special edition, though, and may be available for only a short time. Regardless, the definitive copy will likely trump the rehearsal script in terms of canon; it will be interesting to see how much they differ. I also wonder how spoilers will be handled: one would expect more leaks with a play being rehearsed than a novel being printed.
It was confirmed in the original press release that the Special Rehearsal Edition will only be available for a limited time and that it will be "replaced" by the Definitive Collector's Edition at a later time.

I'm assuming that the whole play's plot will be available online for anyone who wants to know about it by the end of May, which is when public previews will start. It's gonna be hard to avoid spoilers.

Old February 12th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Quote:
I have a hard time calling it the "eighth Harry Potter book," but I'm going by what we've been told that it is officially the eight Potter story that will now be published as a script book:
There is also the not inconsiderable fact that the play is by a different writer. JKR has been at pains to point out that although she has been closely involved with the project she is not the author.

JKR TwitterJ.K. Rowling ‏@jk_rowling

You win! #CursedChild is a play and while we have worked very closely on it, the wonderful writer is @jackthorne

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old February 12th, 2016, 10:12 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
There is also the not inconsiderable fact that the play is by a different writer. JKR has been at pains to point out that although she has been closely involved with the project she is not the author.

JKR TwitterJ.K. Rowling ‏@jk_rowling

You win! #CursedChild is a play and while we have worked very closely on it, the wonderful writer is @jackthorne
I think that by saying that what she wants to point out is that even though she didn't write the script, it is still true to her vision.

Old February 12th, 2016, 11:01 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhaps View Post
I think that by saying that what she wants to point out is that even though she didn't write the script, it is still true to her vision.
And I expect most fans will be content with this, but I think there will be those who are unsatisfied the script isn't written directly by her. Though since the canon is presumably derived from JKR, it really isn't a huge deal. It reminds me of James Patterson's 'bestseller factory'.

The publication of Cursed Child makes me wonder if the Fantastic Beasts script will be published, too, despite the movie format reaching a larger audience.

WalnutFirebolt138
Old February 13th, 2016, 5:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhaps View Post
I think she was trying to clear up the idea some people had that she wrote the play.

Old February 13th, 2016, 9:33 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
And I expect most fans will be content with this, but I think there will be those who are unsatisfied the script isn't written directly by her. Though since the canon is presumably derived from JKR, it really isn't a huge deal. It reminds me of James Patterson's 'bestseller factory'.
But if it wasn't written by her just approved by her isn't it as canon (or as uncanon?) as the movies are?

Old February 13th, 2016, 7:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
But if it wasn't written by her just approved by her isn't it as canon (or as uncanon?) as the movies are?
There are some fans who don't consider the movies to be canon since they depart so much from the books.

JKR says the play is canon.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old February 13th, 2016, 9:06 pm
Fourth Year

I don't consider the movies canon either so that's why I was asking. Despite them being approved by Rowling. Did she specifically say we should consider the play canon?

Old February 14th, 2016, 6:25 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I don't consider the movies canon either so that's why I was asking. Despite them being approved by Rowling. Did she specifically say we should consider the play canon?
Apparently she did, quoted in this article in The Guardian from this past Friday:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...r-cursed-child

....I miss David Tennant....
Old February 14th, 2016, 7:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Apparently she did, quoted in this article in The Guardian from this past Friday:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...r-cursed-child
Also the Fantastic Beasts movie trilogy because she's writing the screenplays.

And Pottermore . . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old February 15th, 2016, 2:52 am
Snidget of Champions

Which raises the question: can JKR dictate what is canon, particularly with works she didn't write(Cursed Child) and embellish/deviate from her writing (Fantastic Beasts)?

WalnutFirebolt138
Old February 15th, 2016, 5:17 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Which raises the question: can JKR dictate what is canon, particularly with works she didn't write(Cursed Child) and embellish/deviate from her writing (Fantastic Beasts)?
I think she's the only one in a position to say what's canon. The more interesting thing to me is the contract page published in The Guardian -- given certain already existing works were named as exempt from any work by the scriptwriters, so was a rumored book-to-be...hope for the Scottish Book lives on, as it's named specifically.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old March 19th, 2016, 6:11 am
Sixth Year

All I know is that I'm hoping there will be a midnight book release for The Cursed Child. Take me back to 2007! Just to get a little taste of that magic would be nice again.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old March 19th, 2016, 8:53 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
All I know is that I'm hoping there will be a midnight book release for The Cursed Child. Take me back to 2007! Just to get a little taste of that magic would be nice again.
Doubtful since there weren't any for the textbooks or The Tales of Beedle the Bard. It's merely a script, not a full-blown novel.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies