Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Wonderbook: Harry Potter Book of Spells Game

Old June 5th, 2012, 6:20 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Wonderbook: Harry Potter Book of Spells Game

This is a new product by Sony. A Playstation game with a story written by JKR in which you can perform spells. So its actually an advanced version of spell casting in Pottermore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Mugglenet
The first book to be published with the technology will be a Harry Potter book of Spells - an interactive spellbook that will let the reader flip through the pages and learn spells from the magical world of Harry Potter. It's part of a partnership between Sony and Pottermore, Rowling's new online portal for all things Harry Potter. While reading the story and seeing it unfold in front of you, kids can also use a PlayStation Move to cast spells. link

Last edited by Hes; June 5th, 2012 at 6:29 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2012, 8:09 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: Wonderbook Harry Potter Book of Spells Game

What?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old June 5th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Second Year

Please let there not be a line of knock-off video games based on HP.

"When I was about twelve, I used to think I must be a genius, but nobody's noticed. Either I'm a genius or I'm mad, which is it? 'No,' I said, 'I can't be mad because nobody's put me away; therefore I'm a genius.' Genius is a form of madness and we're all that way. But I used to be coy about it, like me guitar playing. But if there's such a thing as genius - I am one. And if there isn't, I don't care." - John Lennon
Old June 5th, 2012, 9:52 pm
Fourth Year

This doesn't look half bad, the 'brand new writing from J.K. Rowling' sounds promising.

Old June 5th, 2012, 9:55 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Not sure this is a good bet for Sony. I know they are wedded to their hardware, but they would probably make a lot more money by creating this sort of product in the Tablet gaming market and creating a 3rd party app for both iOS and Android.

Almost nobody who does not already own (or intend to own) a Playstation is going to enter the Playstation market simply in order to purchase this product (i.e., I don't see the product itself selling a significant number of Playstations).

And by limiting the product to the Playstation, Sony is eliminating a lot of other potential revenue streams.

I'm not sure how this becomes a win for Sony.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:23 pm
Third Year

Sony owns the rights to the Pottermore site, so there may be some kind of exclusivity there. Similar to having Mario be exclusive to Nintendo game systems. I don't think it's necessarily a marketing ploy as much as it is a company simply owning the rights to a brand.

I already own a PS3, so I am really kind of excited. For myself and for my kids...

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:40 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
This doesn't look half bad, the 'brand new writing from J.K. Rowling' sounds promising.
And, just like with Pottermore, I guess that the new content from JKR will be what draws in the majority of users. Unlike Pottermore, though, this product is not as accessible to everyone, and, like ccollinsmith wrote, I do not envision hordes of Potter fans rushing to buy Playstations to have this experience.

I am intrigued, but very wary, of this Book of Spells. I am not familiar with all this new technology by Playstation, so that much is beyond my head already. But I find it interesting to see how JKR is continuing to bring the technological generation into Harry Potter. I knew the partnership with Sony was not limited to the free, online Pottermore, so it is nice to see what the team is envisioning for incorporating Potter into technology (or the other way around).

EDIT: After browsing around a bit more about this, I am even further engaged. To me, the "game" and the Wonderbook itself seem like they would wear on me, but the content does sound exciting. Already I can read about the 1544 wizard Hobart and his invention of Wingardium Leviosa. The content is something no fan should lack, but I do not think I could struggle through the Wonderbook to get it. [Link]

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; June 6th, 2012 at 1:00 am.
Old June 6th, 2012, 1:22 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Almost nobody who does not already own (or intend to own) a Playstation is going to enter the Playstation market simply in order to purchase this product (i.e., I don't see the product itself selling a significant number of Playstations).
Even a person who owns a PS3 isn't necessarily going to buy this, it requires the Move and the Eye and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people on PS3s possess neither of those. Add onto that the fact that you apparently have to buy the book as well, and that's a whole lot of extra things to buy even for somebody who already HAS a PS3. I'm not about to buy three peripherals just to play some Harry Potter licensed game.

As for the game itself. Meh. Interesting technology, but it doesn't really look any fun. The novelty of "OMG I CAN CONTROL BY WAVING THE CONTROLLER" wore off about six years ago.

Old June 6th, 2012, 2:13 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
And by limiting the product to the Playstation, Sony is eliminating a lot of other potential revenue streams.
Exclusivity is a revenue-creating strategy for hardware manufacturers. If it were a third-party software developer, being cross-platform would be vital.

Sony also needs a reason for people to buy the peripherals necessary to play this game. Plus the PS3 is old technology (released in 2006) so this is likely a way to boost sales of the existing units before the next generation is released.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old June 6th, 2012, 4:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Exclusivity is a revenue-creating strategy for hardware manufacturers. If it were a third-party software developer, being cross-platform would be vital.

Sony also needs a reason for people to buy the peripherals necessary to play this game. Plus the PS3 is old technology (released in 2006) so this is likely a way to boost sales of the existing units before the next generation is released.
I understand that, but I think the model is outdated. If they cling that tightly to the old model, they will likely end up like the record companies, trying to hawk CDs. And I don't think this product is likely to provide a big sales boost for the technology - not now, in 2012. Are very many people really going to shell out a minimum of $250 on hardware just to be able to read new content by Rowling and wave a wand around? It's fine for Playstation owners, but imo it's not going to convert very many non-Playstation owners.

I think Sony can make a lot more money by creating a sister product for the tablet market (missing the specific game-controller features that would be peculiar to the Playstation) and thus diversify their game revenue model. That way, there would still be an element of exclusivity to the Playstation, but Sony would also have an eye on the future.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old June 6th, 2012, 5:18 am

Quote:
I understand that, but I think the model is outdated. If they cling that tightly to the old model, they will likely end up like the record companies, trying to hawk CDs.
That's a different model. Record companies don't make hardware, they're in the business of selling the software. (As an asde I still buy CDs because the reproduction from an MP3 is rubbish on any half-way decent stereo.)

Quote:
Are very many people really going to shell out a minimum of $250 on hardware just to be able to read new content by Rowling and wave a wand around?
Based on the number of anoraks who spent far more buying multiple editions of the books, I'd say there's a far chance that there will be a reasonable number.

Corporations don't do things if they don't see a return. They don't always get it right, but they are rarely completely off-base.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old June 6th, 2012, 5:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
That's a different model. Record companies don't make hardware, they're in the business of selling the software.
The analogy was with physical product. Record companies were so wed to physical product that they got caught flat-footed when the paradigm shifted.

Sony btw also makes software, and has done so for years - especially in the consumer music-creation and video-creation markets (Acid and Vegas, in particular).

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; June 6th, 2012 at 6:44 am.
Old June 6th, 2012, 6:39 am
Hogwarts Graduate

So . . . owners of PS3 are going to get HP information unavailable to the rest of us, even those on Pottermore???

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old June 6th, 2012, 7:35 am

Quote:
The analogy was with physical product. Record companies were so wed to physical product that they got caught flat-footed when the paradigm shifted.
The analogy is still inapt. As CDs are not technically hardware they are software.

Quote:
Sony btw also makes software, and has done so for years - especially in the consumer music-creation and video-creation markets (Acid and Vegas, in particular).
I'm well aware of that. And it was Sony's control of software in the form of a large movie library) movies and the release of the PS3 were a major reasons BD won out over HD-DVD.

Old June 6th, 2012, 1:13 pm
Suteki da ne

Re: Wonderbook: Harry Potter Book of Spells Game

This looks good, I think. Although that advert made me laugh, when it said that the images are simulated and they actually appear on the screen. I've already got a PS3 and I think we've got a move and an eye somewhere, so it should be OK- I mean even if we haven't got a eye and a move, they aren't that expensive to buy second hand

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old June 7th, 2012, 10:03 pm
First Year

I got beat to market by this product and the new Warner Brothers game, but I am designing a product that would be platform agnostic and could interface directly to the Pottermore site, assuming all the necessary legal agreements and technical interfaces could be worked out. And I would add additional capabilities beyond what this WonderBook product provides that would make the experience extremely more immersive but challenging at the same time.

Does that interest anyone here? I will keep working on my prototype regardless, but I would like some feedback, positive or negative.

-WormwoodPhoenix212

Old June 8th, 2012, 7:29 am
First Year

I have a PS3 and the Move, but I'm not going to buy another accessory just to play a Potter game that - take out J.K.'s content - looks like it would get boring very quickly. I'm not bashing it - it would be great for kids and see how it would be very enjoyable for them. From the footage I've seen, I can clearly see this aim and how it's only trying to draw in the more older players with the new content. But besides the new content, I'm not interested to buy a game I would forget about in a couple of days.

I'll read about Rowling's content some other way. It'll end up on Pottermore eventually.

Ravenclaw on CoS
Hufflepuff on Pottermore
Old June 8th, 2012, 8:30 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liez View Post
I'll read about Rowling's content some other way. It'll end up on Pottermore eventually.
One can only hope.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:12 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liez View Post
And sooner or later it'll end up on youtube in one way or another.

Old June 8th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadmasterAPWBD View Post
I got beat to market by this product and the new Warner Brothers game, but I am designing a product that would be platform agnostic and could interface directly to the Pottermore site, assuming all the necessary legal agreements and technical interfaces could be worked out.
Ihate to be a wet blanket, but I think it's futile. Sony seems to have a lock on this area.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies