Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Questions about the Harry Potter Movies v.2

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:53 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Questions about the Harry Potter Movies v.2

Ask your "little" questions about the Harry Potter movies here.

Version one

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2012, 6:27 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies v.2

Here's one I've been wondering about.

DH2 - Courtyard Apocalypse scene. The trio have just escaped from the spiders and ran between the giant's legs, and then we see them running. At that point, you here a voice scream, "Crucio!" That voice sounds, to me, just like Madam Trelawney's voice.

Was it her, or am I mistaken?

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old January 26th, 2012, 8:49 pm
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
DH2 - Courtyard Apocalypse scene. The trio have just escaped from the spiders and ran between the giant's legs, and then we see them running. At that point, you here a voice scream, "Crucio!" That voice sounds, to me, just like Madam Trelawney's voice.

I just listened to that part and I can see what you mean
But I'm pretty sure that wasn't her - the voice does sound a little bit different from Thompson's.

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:44 pm
Zonko's Employee

I did hear, "Crucio" as well but I never could make out who it was. I just assumed it was a death eater or one of the defenders of Hogwarts.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old January 29th, 2012, 1:22 am
First Year

perhaps i missed this in the books, but how did snape find harry in the forest of dean to give him the sword of griffindor? was it just thru the mirror? and if he wanted harry to have the sword, why did he make it so difficult to get?

Old January 29th, 2012, 1:27 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by siena_mermaid View Post
perhaps i missed this in the books, but how did snape find harry in the forest of dean to give him the sword of griffindor? was it just thru the mirror? and if he wanted harry to have the sword, why did he make it so difficult to get?
Phineas Nigellus heard Hermione explaining where they were and why, and passed the message on to Snape. The attainment of the sword needed to be under conditions of valor, so Snape made sure the condition was met.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old January 29th, 2012, 8:09 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
Here's one I've been wondering about.

I watched it with the subtitles on (very useful for background remarks!) and it said "Boy: Crucio" so I assume it was a student on one side or the other. It doesn't seem like a spell the Hogwarts kids would have used though, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Phineas Nigellus heard Hermione explaining where they were and why, and passed the message on to Snape. The attainment of the sword needed to be under conditions of valor, so Snape made sure the condition was met.
Did it actually give any indication in the movie how he knew where they were? The whole thing about Phineas' portrait was missed out but I don't remember anything else explaining it.

Question: What did Harry mean when he said "Let's end this like we began it - together" before he dragged Voldemort off the wall?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old January 29th, 2012, 8:17 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I watched it with the subtitles on (very useful for background remarks!) and it said "Boy: Crucio" so I assume it was a student on one side or the other. It doesn't seem like a spell the Hogwarts kids would have used though, does it?
Thanks!

No - it doesn't. And except for perhaps Draco, kids weren't DE's. I'm still convinced it was Trelawney.

Quote:
Question: What did Harry mean when he said "Let's end this like we began it - together" before he dragged Voldemort off the wall?
It began with a piece of Voldy's soul inside Harry. Them falling in a sense made them combined again, since they fell together.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; January 29th, 2012 at 8:20 pm.
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:20 am

Quote:
In the book, the students were forced to learn Crucio and perform it on first years, although I expect it's more likely to be a Slytherin
Quote:
Did it actually give any indication in the movie how he knew where they were? The whole thing about Phineas' portrait was missed out but I don't remember anything else explaining it.
There was no explanation given in the film.

Old January 31st, 2012, 4:13 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
Slytherin

There was no explanation given in the film.

No, no explanation, but Hermione does say they are in the Forest of Dean while the bag is open, or something. Only makes sense to someone who has read the book.

Old January 31st, 2012, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
No, no explanation, but Hermione does say they are in the Forest of Dean while the bag is open, or something. Only makes sense to someone who has read the book.
There was nothing in the bag that could relay that info to Snape - not shown anyway.
There are lots of little things in the films that don't make sense because of more subtle omissions. Really shows how in the books all the smallest of things become very important.

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:04 am
First Year

Quote:
There was nothing in the bag that could relay that info to Snape - not shown anyway.
There are lots of little things in the films that don't make sense because of more subtle omissions. Really shows how in the books all the smallest of things become very important.
She did have the "Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore" book she took from Bathilda's house, which had a picture of Dumbledore on the cover. Maybe that picture was able to overhear her and somehow relay their location to Dumbledore's portrait in the Headmaster's office, who then relayed it to Snape?

Not a perfect explanation, but it could work.

Old March 19th, 2012, 2:11 pm
First Year

Pollyjuice potion and Barty Crouch Jr.

Something I just realized this past weekend, watching the series on ABCFamily.

When Harry, Hermione, and Ron take the PJ potion, they still sound like themselves. Not only in CoS but also in DH1. It's a big plot point that they have to try to sound like the people they are impersonating. This is also true when the decoys take the potion at the beginning of DH1. So it's not that the potion affects underage people one way and adults another.

But during GoF, when Barty Crouch Jr is impersonating Mad Eye Moody via PJ potion, he sounds exactly like Mad Eye Moody. I don't recall if we ever find out exactly when BC Jr takes over MadEye, but the transition is seamless.

Why doesn't BC Jr sound like BC Jr? We hear enough of him in other places to know what he sounds like. And it isn't like MadEye.

Now some might claim that he has learned how to impersonate MadEye's voice, but that is a very difficult thing to do 24/7. And when he meets up with his father after the water event, it's not the voice that gives him away.

Was this just creative license on JKRowling's part? Or the movie makers? This has really started to bug me!

Old March 19th, 2012, 3:08 pm
Sixth Year

Jo always wrote that you receive all the characteristics of the Polyjuiced person/victim. That is movie corruption and obviously not very consistent.

Same thing with the animagus form – you don't lose your clothes and you don't need a wand (in the book). More movie corruption and not consistent here either. (In PoA) The first scene Peter's a rat - he transforms into Peter (wearing clothes) then using a wand [he doesn't need] he transforms back into a rat and leaves his clothes behind. In the book the wand is used to knock out the threatening people not to transform.

But even in the same movie they couldn't be consistent all in one scene or the following scene.

Does that help?

Old March 19th, 2012, 4:12 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebleSue View Post
Something I just realized this past weekend, watching the series on ABCFamily.

When Harry, Hermione, and Ron take the PJ potion, they still sound like themselves. Not only in CoS but also in DH1. It's a big plot point that they have to try to sound like the people they are impersonating. This is also true when the decoys take the potion at the beginning of DH1. So it's not that the potion affects underage people one way and adults another.
It was done that way in the movie so that the audience would remember that even though the people on screen didn't look like Harry/Hermione/Ron that they were Harry/Hermione/Ron in different bodies. Yes, it was necessary as some people are pretty thick and if they haven't read the books or weren't paying attention they might get confused. To me, the voices were changed purely for the sake of the audience and in the "movie world" the polyjuiced people would sound like who they were meant to sound like to the people they conversed with. The reason I think this is because Crabbe and Goyle were meant to be Draco's best friends/cronies. Draco knew what Crabbe's and Goyle's voices sounded like and if they suddenly showed up sounding completely different and, oddly, just like his two worst enemies, Ron and Harry, it would immediately set off alarm bells for Draco. So, IMO in the world of the COS film, PolyjuiceCrabbe (Ron) and PolyjuiceGoyle (Harry) would sound like RegularCrabbe and RegularGoyle but for clarity their voices were dubbed over so the audience would be able to keep straight who was who and what was going on.

Quote:
But during GoF, when Barty Crouch Jr is impersonating Mad Eye Moody via PJ potion, he sounds exactly like Mad Eye Moody. I don't recall if we ever find out exactly when BC Jr takes over MadEye, but the transition is seamless.

Why doesn't BC Jr sound like BC Jr? We hear enough of him in other places to know what he sounds like. And it isn't like MadEye.
Polyjuice does transform the drinker in their (physical) entirety into the person they are meant to be impersonating and because of that Barty Jr.'s voice box would physically undergo changes so that his voice would sound like Moody's whether he wanted to sound like him or not.

Again, as I said above, I think when it was known to the general audience that a person had taken polyjuice in the films their voice was "kept" to remind the audience of who "the person inside" actually was but that they would actually sound like the person they looked like to every other character in the film. We, the audience, didn't know until the end of the film/book that GOFMoody was not the real Moody but Barty Jr. taking polyjuice so his voice was not dubbed over with Barty Jr.'s voice to add to the suspense of the film. If PolyjuiceMoody's voice had been dubbed over with Barty Jr.'s voice the audience would have cottoned on to who Moody really was once we saw the Wizengamot scene where Barty Jr. was sentences and the suspense in the story would be blown way before it was meant to be.

Quote:
Now some might claim that he has learned how to impersonate MadEye's voice, but that is a very difficult thing to do 24/7. And when he meets up with his father after the water event, it's not the voice that gives him away.
I thougtht that tongue flicking thing was really stupid, especially since we only see it twice: the first in the Wizengamot scene where Barty Jr. does it, the second when PolyjuiceMoody does it and gives himself away. I thought the tongue flick needed to be established way ahead of that so that the audience buys into the fact that it's an eccentricity of Moody and not just the thing that gives away that he's not the real Moody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
Same thing with the animagus form you don't lose your clothes and you don't need a wand (in the book). More movie corruption and not consistent here either. (In PoA) The first scene Peter's a rat - he transforms into Peter (wearing clothes) then using a wand [he doesn't need] he transforms back into a rat and leaves his clothes behind. In the book the wand is used to knock out the threatening people not to transform.
I figured with the whole wand thing that Peter used the wand to assist in his transformation because he wasn't very good at doing the transformation wandlessly. I figured that you began learning the animagus transformation using a wand and once that ability was established you began learning to do it without the wand. Well, technically you'd still probably have the wand on you since you wouldn't want to transform into your animagus state, travel somewhere as an animal and then transform back into your human state and find yourself wandless or have to return to where you transformed to retrieve your wand.

And I figured that the clothed or not-clothed issue was just dealt with magically. If you were wearing cloths during your transformation then your cloths tranformed, too. Just like how you'd keep your wand on you while you were transformed. In other words, I don't think it was like Twilight where the werewolves had to tie their cloths to their leg as they were in their wolf forms - Rita would never be able to pull that off, she transforms into a beetle and carrying a wad of cloths on her that's twenty times bigger than her animagus form is unrealistic. If we're talking realistic, here

Old March 20th, 2012, 12:11 am

Well, for CoS the audio was filmed with Crabbe and Goyle, but Columbus decided to use Harry and Ron's voices instead in post production.

With GoF, the 'real' way was used, with Moody's voice.

With DH1/2, I expect the team realised the inconsistency, and saw that they were able to use the trios voices, which would be easier to understand that using other peoples voices.

Yes it does seem silly that no one realises that the voices are different, but I kind of act like only we as the audience notice the voices are the same

Old March 20th, 2012, 3:04 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Well, for CoS the audio was filmed with Crabbe and Goyle, but Columbus decided to use Harry and Ron's voices instead in post production.

With GoF, the 'real' way was used, with Moody's voice.

With DH1/2, I expect the team realised the inconsistency, and saw that they were able to use the trios voices, which would be easier to understand that using other peoples voices.

Yes it does seem silly that no one realises that the voices are different, but I kind of act like only we as the audience notice the voices are the same
That would be ideal but it's ruined by one line in COS.

"We still sound like ourrselves! You need to sound more like Crabbe."

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old March 20th, 2012, 4:49 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
Jo always wrote that you receive all the characteristics of the Polyjuiced person/victim. That is movie corruption and obviously not very consistent.
It's not consistent in the books as Hermione retains the power of human speech as a cat.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 20th, 2012, 5:14 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Watching GOF, just before the champions enter the maze, I saw Karkaroff kiss his ring on his hand. Later, when Dumbledore was explaining about who would be entering first, Karkaroff was running his fingers up and down Krum's back. Odd.

Old March 20th, 2012, 11:16 pm
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
It's not consistent in the books as Hermione retains the power of human speech as a cat.
I always chalked that up to the fact that the polyjuice potion wasn't meant to be used for animal transformations, so its effects like speech change would be different in using cat hair than if Hermione had used human hair as planned. Nothing in canon to support that, of course, but that was my hypothesis, anyway.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies