Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

View Poll Results: Which movie is your favourite?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 10 4.55%
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 5 2.27%
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 51 23.18%
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 7 3.18%
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 14 6.36%
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 16 7.27%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows Part One 27 12.27%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two 90 40.91%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:08 pm
Second Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?For a long time it was PoA. I loved Alfonso's imagery and just the movie as a whole was just beautiful but I really like DH2 and I think it's my favorite. This was such a hard decision to make because I really couldn't choose between PoA and DH2. I just loved that when this movie ended, I was satisfied with how everything turned out. It was sad and it will be forever memorable.
If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it? I think nothing surpasses the battle of Hogwarts at the end of DH2. Just seeing the Hogwarts castle which is something that we, the readers, have grown up with and have such a close connection to suddenly demolished and destroyed was truly heartbreaking.

[b]Directing[B/]

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World? Alfonso Cuaron because he, to me, is a visionary. I liked that he was the one who brought the darkness to the Harry Potter movies first. Even though most of the other movies have darker material, PoA was the only movie that actually felt darker than the rest. I loved his style the best as well.
Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?No, because sometimes two or in this case four heads are better than one

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.
I think that Harry vs Voldemort has been more fleshed out. We really see what Harry is up against in the very first movie. Harry realizes that this is going to be a long journey that he has to go through to defeat Voldemort and Voldemort realizes that Harry isn't an ordinary child that he can finish off with a wave of his wand. It will take lots of effort and hard work for either to defeat the other. Both are strong and similar yet different characters that I love that really developed throughout the series.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?
It's hard to say but I think that Snape probably had the best portrayal. There is no one that I could imagine in my mind to play Snape besides Alan Rickman. He embodies him and his acting is just phenomenal. His voice, his mannerisms, his glare all scream Snape to me. Perfect casting.
Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?
Definitely Alan Rickman as Severus Snape.

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?
It is EVERYTHING. Music sets the mood and creates emotion. Without the proper music, the movie is nothing.
Who is your favourite music composer?
John Williams with Alexandre Desplat coming in second.
Which soundtrack is your favourite?
I can't choose my favorite. Probably a tie between SS, PoA, and DH2.
What is your favourite music track?
I can't choose one. Leaving Hogwarts, Hedwig's Theme, Harry's Wondrous World, Fawkes the Phoenix, Harry in Winter, A Window to the Past, Finale, Buckbeak's Flight,The Oblivation, Snape to Malfoy Manor, Lovegood, Statues, Courtyard Apocalypse, and Lily's Theme.

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?
PoA
Best set design (props etc)?
PoA
Best special effects?
DH2
Best costumes?
GoF

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?
You know, I was very hesitant about how the last movie was going to turn out. I wanted to see a phenomenal ending to the most cherished book series of all time and I did see that. DH2 really wrapped everything together perfectly. SS showed us the beginning of Harry's journey and DH2 showed us the end. Everything overall has been perfect. Yes, there were parts from the books that weren't included in the movies but that's what makes the movies stand out from the books. Now that I really look back, I really wouldn't want the movies to be EXACTLY like the books. It was nice to see new additions to the story that Jo Rowling didn't include. The movies are not and will never be like the books. Both are phenomenal in their own way. I'm very proud to have been a part of the Harry Potter generation. I've grown up as I read the books and as I saw the movies. I'm very satisfied.

©GryffnSoldier
| USE KNOWLEDGE FOR POWER |
PROUD SLYTHERCLAW

HereThere
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2011, 3:20 am
Fourth Year

Re: Which Harry Potter movie is your favourite?

I find myself watching GOF over and over...... love all of them, but this one really was the turning point in the series for me. it catched the essence of innocence from the first 2, and also mixed in the darkness fro m the 3rd movie that caught most people off guard.... So my vote is for Goblet of Fire!!

Old July 22nd, 2011, 3:56 am
Second Year

Deathly Hallows Part 2 without a doubt.

But that being said, I really liked SS and OoTP as well.

Member of Ravenclaw on CoS & Member of Slytherin on Pottermore!

Wand: 13 inches, Blackthorn, Dragon Heartstring, Hard.

Go Falcons & Go Dolphins!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 4:03 am
First Year

This is one of those things where I change my mind. A lot. However I voted for DHP1. I think it has one of the loveliest scores of any film, it's true to the book, and when it's not [like the dance] it still works. It think it was really well done. DHP2 was more exciting, but it was also so heartbreaking that it's almost hard to watch, even though I love it. So yes. I vote for DHP1.

I think my order is as such:

1. DHP1
2. OoTP
3. DHP2
4. COS
5. POA
6. SS
7. HBP
8. GOF

But really besides 1 and 8, the placement changes often.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 7:56 am
Third Year

I loved DH:2 and I think it finally took the place of PoA on the top of my list.

1. DH:2
2. PoA
3. DH:1
4. HBP
5. SS
6. GoF
7. CoS
8. OotP

This discussion is also going on in the DH:2 forum (meaning beware of spoilers) under A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one. I'm actually really glad to see that DH:2 has taken such a strong lead. I know there is some negativity surrounding what was either done incorrectly in the film or left out, but I thought it was an incredibly fitting end to the series.

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 9:20 am
Malum Veneficus

My favourite would have to be Deathly Hallows, both of its parts. I agree with Kings Cross that Deathly Hallows 1 had the best music, it was the most fitting with the events of the film. Part 2 was amazing for the action and the battle scenes. I liked the atmosphere of fear, urgency, unity and grief throughout the final film. Also the end was perfectly done, in my opinion.

So the movies from most to least favourite for me:

1. Deathly Hallows part 2.
2. Deathly Hallows part 1.
3. Prisoner of Azkaban.
4. Philosopher Stone.
5. Chamber of Secrets.
6. Goblet of Fire.
7. Order of the Phoenix.
8. Half Blood Prince.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:23 am
First Year

Now that all the movies are out, I have to say that POA is still my favourite, only because it captures the magic of the books almost perfectly, it still got a little boring at the end, but otherwise a great film. A close second is Deathly Hallows part 2! I loved it simply for the epicness, the emotion was all palpable! beautful film!

Check it out.
Pottermore: QueenJinx40, Slytherin, wand: Hawthorn and unicorn hair, 11 and 3/4 inches, surprisingly swishy
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:13 am
Second Year

Quote:
I find myself watching GOF over and over...... love all of them, but this one really was the turning point in the series for me. it catched the essence of innocence from the first 2, and also mixed in the darkness fro m the 3rd movie that caught most people off guard.... So my vote is for Goblet of Fire!!
Yes, finally, someone else who thinks the same as me!
I love love love GOF.

Here is my order:
GOF / POA
PS / COS
HBP
DH 2
DH 1
OOTP

Of course, this may change once I have watched DH 1 and 2 on dvd. I might put DH 2 in front of HBP. I'll have to see.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:22 am
Zonko's Employee

My inner fangirl says DH2 (twinned with OotP).

My inner film critic says PoA.

So it's PoA for the poll. DH2 will get lots of love so I don't feel too bad.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:50 pm
Third Year

I based my list on how much I enjoyed the films for what they are and which ones I think I'll watch the most often from now on. I think the book nerd in me would rank them a little differently though.

As much I hate to say this, I think GoF is now my favourite. I like how they told a story that made sense, the script was good and they did justice to the death at the end. I think out of 1-6 it's probably the one I'll re-watch the most because its like a stand-alone film to a certain extent. It was my favourite book so that's part of the reason too.

I think I'll put DH 2 in second. Its difficult to rank it alongside films I've been watching for years but I think this is one of those ones I'll like more the more I watch it, especially when I don't compare it to the book. I wouldn't be surprised if it took the top spot from GoF when I see it again though.

I was really undecided with these next three but I decided to rank them like thisThere was really not a lot between them though)

I went back and forth on DH1. As its a part 1, I'll probably not rewatch it as much as some of the other ones but I still liked it. I watched it last week though so its as fresh in my head as the rest of them.

PoA is in fourth. It was my favourite for a long time so I'm gutted its slipped down so much but I think I'm more likely to reach for one of the other ones when I want to watch a HP film again . There was nothing really in particular that makes this one stand out, and the style is quite different from the rest of them. It also doesn't have any Voldemort.

HBP is next. I liked how it showed a lot of the trio but moved on to Draco and Slughorn's memory etc just when I was getting bored. I loved the love potion scene and Harry on the lucky potion though but it was a bit dark in some places. (Not as in scary-dark but I-can't-see-what's-happening-dark).

(small gap)

I'm going to put PS next. I feel sad putting it so low but the other films are better and this one has been out so long the novelty has worn of a bit because I've seen it so many times. I think that's partly why PoA fell a bit too.

I've forgiven CoS for being so disappointing the first time I watched it but I still don't like it as much as PS. I loved Lockhart but some of the other acting is really dodgy so its a bit distracting and I can't read Dobby's Warning without hearing that scene in my head . I like it more than I used to though.

OotP is my least favourite atm but I'm still not really decided on it. The script was really terrible and Americanized in places and I don't enjoy the story as much as some of the others so its easy to find fault with it. I'm probably being too harsh on it though.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 1:53 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Gaunt View Post
OotP is my least favourite atm but I'm still not really decided on it. The script was really terrible and Americanized in places and I don't enjoy the story as much as some of the others so its easy to find fault with it. I'm probably being too harsh on it though.
No offense, but I personally don't see how you could rank GoF first with OoTP being last? I thought the films were similar to one another in the aspect that both films were much too quick when it came to pacing and both missed various things that were present in the books. Of course, this is naturally what happens when one tries to make movies based on some of the longest books in the series. (Pretty sure OoTP was, with GoF not far behind). I would only rank OoTP over GoF because of Luna and the epic Dumbledore vs Voldemort fight at the end. (of course, this is simply a matter of personal preferrence). But I would still rank the two films close to each other because both suffered from (what I thought) were the same downfalls.

Also, where exactly would you say the film was "Americanized"? Just curious!

Member of Ravenclaw on CoS & Member of Slytherin on Pottermore!

Wand: 13 inches, Blackthorn, Dragon Heartstring, Hard.

Go Falcons & Go Dolphins!

Last edited by agilefalcon16; July 22nd, 2011 at 1:58 pm. Reason: typo
Old July 22nd, 2011, 2:00 pm
Third Year

It's between OotP and DH2, but DH2 takes the win only because of the writing and flow of the movie itself. The beginning of OotP seems rushed and most of the scenes seem to be without a definitive end, with the next scene just coming up. I feel that both of the movies tell the story well, even with all of the changes, and both are the only movies to make me cry due to the actors's performances. I felt they got right the mix of action, humor, and general plot.

So for me:
1. DH2
2. OotP
3. DH1
4. SS/PS
5. CoS
6. GoF
7. HBP
8. PoA

Hufflepuff Pride
Old July 22nd, 2011, 2:25 pm
Second Year

Quote:
1. DH2
2. OotP
3. DH1
4. SS/PS
5. CoS
6. GoF
7. HBP
8. PoA
POA last? Can I ask why?

Old July 22nd, 2011, 2:57 pm
Second Year

Here's my list- DH part 2 finally takes the cake!

1. DH:P2
2. PoA
3. DH:P1
4. SS/PS
5. HBP
6. OotP
7. CoS
8. GoF

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old July 22nd, 2011, 3:01 pm
Second Year

My order would probably be:
1. Deathly Hallows Part 2
2. Deathly Hallows Part 1
3. Half-Blood Prince
4. Goblet of Fire (yes, it did miss alot, but I still liked it)
5. Prisoner of Azkaban
6. Chamber of Secrets
7. Philosopher's Stone
8. Order of the Phoenix

Pottermore Username: FireboltPurple63
Old July 22nd, 2011, 5:13 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilefalcon16 View Post
No offense, but I personally don't see how you could rank GoF first with OoTP being last? I thought the films were similar to one another in the aspect that both films were much too quick when it came to pacing and both missed various things that were present in the books. Of course, this is naturally what happens when one tries to make movies based on some of the longest books in the series. (Pretty sure OoTP was, with GoF not far behind). I would only rank OoTP over GoF because of Luna and the epic Dumbledore vs Voldemort fight at the end. (of course, this is simply a matter of personal preferrence). But I would still rank the two films close to each other because both suffered from (what I thought) were the same downfalls.

Also, where exactly would you say the film was "Americanized"? Just curious!
I based my order on personal preference really, i.e which ones I enjoyed watching the most. I didn't take which one did a better job adapting the book into consideration at all really but I'm much more likely to watch GoF again because it has a clearer, more interesting plot (imo).
Some of the inconsistencies in OotP frustrated me, such Harry having a court case for using magic in front of a muggle when the Order just flew through London without consequence straight after and Harry saying Cho was crying when they kissed even though she wasn't etc.
I feel the same way about the books (GoF is my favourite, OotP least favourite) but I go back and forth on what I think of the films quite a bit so I'll probably end up changing my mind again at some stage.

The only bit I can remember right now was the bit about extra credit for joining the Inquisitorial Squad. I only ever hear about extra credit in American shows/films.
I think there was more but I can't remember them right now.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 6:52 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlycherries View Post
POA last? Can I ask why?
It's probably more like a tie between this one and HBP for last place because the reasons are pretty much the same. The humor is excessive and with PoA there is more focus on CGI and special effects than the story and important plot points (such as the Marauders). We have too much "fun" riding around on the Knight Bus, stopping for an old lady but squeezing into the tiny space between two buses. Harry has a totally unnecessary fight with The Monster Book of Monsters. I think these scenes just waste useful movie time.

But mostly this movie bothers me because the story of the Marauders was not properly explained. I actually just watched it yesterday as part of my HP marathon, and, IMO, it would have been pretty easy to give Lupin a few lines explaining that he, Sirius, James, and Peter were the Marauders and why Harry's patronus is a stag. Also, the Shrieking Shack scene is horribly rushed and I greatly dislike the fact that up until the last.possible.second it seems like Sirius is there to kill Harry. It didn't sit well with me especially because the explanation was botched and rushed as well.

While most of the important Voldemort backstory was missing in HBP and it was turned into a rom-com, I still felt like we were pretty well prepared for DH. Initially I wasn't happy that we did not learn of what objects the horcruxes were thought to be, but they handled that well in DH. So it ranks only slightly above PoA.

It's funny, I seem to notice that most people who love OotP dislike PoA and vice versa. I wonder why that is.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old July 22nd, 2011, 8:01 pm
First Year

I can't pick favorites of anything, so I'll just do a quick run-through of stuff, with a lot of babbling.

PS/SS & CoS: Great. Close to the book, love the portrayal of Harry's world. These will always be special for me, haha.
PoA: Great. Yes, they left out a lot of stuff and it had a darker mood, but this is an instance in which changing the book WORKS for the movie.
GoF: They also changed a ton, but overall it is a good finished product. Though I dislike some of the changes, I like the movie as a whole.
OotP: This was going to be a challenge, and I think it worked in general. Not my favorite movie, but they did what they could with such a complicated book.
HBP: AWFUL. My favorite book, and they ruined the movie completely. The whole mood of the book (a bit of a reprieve after a horrid fifth year) is altered, and scenes are distorted beyond belief.
DH1: I liked it more and more as the movie went on, with stunning portrayals of scenes like Godric's Hollow and the Tale of the Three Brothers.
DH2: I still can't make up my mind. I really wanted to like it, and they changed a lot but still followed the plot... some of it was a bit too ridiculous and cinematic for me. I felt bad for laughing at some of the serious scenes which I love in the book. Maybe I'll make up my mind in another month or so...

Directing

Columbus: Good, yes he made the Wizarding World a bit too much of a cheerful place, but the first two books weren't all that dark. I liked him.
Cuaron: Fantastic. Why did he only do one movie?
Newell: I read that he tried to portray the boarding school experience, which led to some enjoyable scenes. Not bad.
Yates: I think I have a bit of a grudge against him after HBP. I guess he wasn't awful, but I didn't like what he did with the last 3 books as a whole.

Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?
Not necessarily, it's good to have different viewpoints.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies?
Not completely sure, but the Trio (and everyone in general) coming of age.

Acting

I basically agree with what everyone's been saying about Alan Rickman, though I absolutely adore Richard Harris's Dumbledore. For the most part, I like the acting, though many characters I picture differently.

Music

SOO IMPORTANT. I am a bit of a music nerd (like, classical music too haha) and music really defines a scene, or even a movie.

Composers
John Williams: My favorite, no doubt. He was amazing, and set the standard really high. (I love most of the PS tracks that can just associate me with the magical world, Fawkes the Phoenix from CoS, and Buckbeak's Flight, and Double Trouble from PoA. Just to name a few.)
Patrick Doyle: I really liked his catchy tunes (Quidditch World Cup, Neville's Waltz, Potter Waltz, Hogwarts' March.)
Nicholas Hooper: A lot of his music seemed to be based off itself, and despite lacking a sense of grandeur, lots of his tracks were completely appropriate with a mysterious, magical feeling. I enjoyed lots (Professor Umbridge, Dumbledore's Army, the Room of Requirement, the Ministry of Magic, Flight of the OotP, Loved Ones and Leaving, In Noctem, Living Death, Journey to the Cave.)
Desplat: I wasn't overly obsessed with his music like past composers, but it did enhance the movies.
BUT I flipped out when they played John Williams for the epilogue.

Can't really say about these, but I am happy with them in general.

Overall verdict
*sigh* no. I'd be lying to myself if I said yes.

the awkward moment when your username is Ravenclaw797 and Pottermore puts you in Gryffindor. but i'm a ravenclaw, through and through

Send me an owl if you want to join the POTTERMORE BATTALION GROUP
http://www.cosforums.com/group.php?groupid=525
and i'll invite you. Everyone who's been posting on the chat threads is basically in the Battalion and therefore needs to join. (Don't be shy!)
Old July 22nd, 2011, 8:34 pm
First Year

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?
Prisoner of Azkaban. I love the director's style and all the little things that can only be noticed upon repeated viewings. The music, the acting, the script, and the breadth of the story were all there. Mostly I just like the seriousness with which Cuaron treated the material. I felt like I was watching the work of someone who was not just adapting a book in a series but making an artistic piece of his own, worthy of the story he was telling.
If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
The battle that takes place at the Ministry of Magic in OOTP. This was eons beyond how this was portrayed in the books. (prolly just my lack of imagination.) I was really impressed from the time they enter the Ministry, to the death of Sirius, to the fight with Voldemort. It was all superbly climactic.
Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?
Tough choice, but I have to go with Cuaron.
No. It needed to evolve to be fresh.
Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.
Harry's frustration, fame, and destiny.
Acting

Alan Rickman as Snape.
Michael Gambon as Dumbledore. I can't imagine now how Harris would have been.
Music

The music is essential
Nicolas Hooper
PoA / Ootp
Posession

DH Part 1
HBP
Best special effects?
To difficult to determine.

Best costumes?
Prisoner of Askaban

Overall verdict
Prisoner of Azkaban
Most certainly yes. Except that I could have watched a four part Deathly Hallows instead of two.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 2:37 am
First Year

[b]The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?
It's a toss up between OotP & DH for me. OotP because of the cinematography of it (I feel like the Wizarding World was captured incredibly well in it) and DH because it's my favorite book of the series and the movies just add to it.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
I have 2: The battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort in OotP. I think it turned out incredible! And the Prince's Tale in DHP2; I think they did that justice.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?

David Yates; the final 3 films are my favorite of the film series and I think he did a great job making the world come alive; However, I want to pay homage to Chris Columbus for being the first to make the world a reality on screen and to Alfonso Cauron for his absolute dedication to the third film.

Honestly it would depend on the director; every director has their own vision, and I think whoever's vision was the most honest to the books should've been chosen.

Storytelling

I feel like they portrayed the Trio and their relationship very well; we literally get to see them grow up together from kids to adults and their relationship throughout the entire film series was never so much that it betrayed the books.

Acting

Definitely Snape! Alan Rickman outdid hismelf playing this role.

Again, Snape. His character had so many levels, that when the truth finally came, it was mindblowing.

Music

Probably one of the most important traits of the films; music moves the story along and makes you literally feel the emotion in the films. "Lily's Theme" in DHP2 gave me goosebumps.

John Williams and Alexandre Desplat

I've never gotten a soundtrack, just pick and chose tracks.

Definitely "Lily's Theme" from DHP2

OotP & DHP2; to me, both movies really made the Wizarding World and the entire concept of magic come alive.

My favorite set is the Ministry of Magic, and I love how we get to see a lot of it in OotP

Best special effects?
Definitely DHP2!

Best costumes?
I love the Death Eater's costumes; very well done!

Overall verdict

Overall, yes. Every time I would go see a movie, I always had the books fresh on my mind, and I would be very critical of what they changed. But I've come to realize that the books and the films are pretty much their own, separate franchises. Yes, the movies come from the books, but there are two different fanbases: the book readers and movies watchers + the only movie watchers. Warner Bros. had to make sure that the people who watched the movies only weren't confused by the many many subplots and information that were in the books. I'll always be biased towards the books, but in all honesty, I think they did a wonderful job on the films and they will always be favorites of mine.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies