Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Old November 24th, 2010, 2:47 am
Second Year

Re: Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
Being that I finally got my raise and can now afford to take my family, I'm going next year, w00t!! I'm not sure if we'll over Easter vacation or summer yet -whichever has the least crowds, I imagine.

I've decided we're going to Florida via train, I'm not putting up with the current TSA nonsense -flying has become too much of a hassle. Train should be cheaper anyway, and I'll just pretend with my son that we're on the Hogwarts Express.

So, if I get this right, you don't actually buy your wand at Ollivanders, but you can get chosen by a wand that you can purchase next door, correct? Are the birthday wands also made of resin, or do they actually make any of them out of real wood, ala Alivans? My son is dying to have the whole experience. I'm going to go all out and buy a ton of stuff there, because I don't know when we'll be able to go again. May as well do it right! I just wish they sold Skelegrow bottles too.. they're cool.

One other question- when you're doing the tour of Hogwarts, (Forbidden Journey) exactly how do Harry, Ron, and Hermione "appear" while you're touring the castle? On a big flat screen? Or a hologram type thing? How does that integrate with the castle tour exactly? I can understand talking portraits.. but..?
Also, is part of the tour on foot? Can you actually walk around DD's office, or are you on a guided track system of some sort? I'd love to just be able to walk around in there.
Woah! Alrighty, well let me start by saying that Ollivanders is an experience that you can not miss! As has been previously stated, you enter
Spoiler: show
Ollivanders and the wand keeper chooses one person out of the crowd (usually saying something witty saying something such as "I sense someone magic is in this room..." and then pointing at an audience member, saying "And I believe it is you!") and that person gets the experience of a wand choosing them. The show is different every time, so you never know exactly what to expect. When the wand finally chooses the person who was chosen for the experience (usually followed by a series of "wrong fit" wands that create havoc in the store), he is asked to exit where he can purchase his wand or buy a different one, and you are "welcome" to follow him and browse the full selection of Ollivander products xD... You can buy any wand you like or you can ask for assistance in finding your birthday wand. All of the wands are made of resin. And if your looking for a Skele Gro Product, I suggest asking a shop keeper in Dervish and Bangs, as they do have a cute little key chain with a skele gro bottle ... Harry, Ron, Hermione (and before them, Dumbledore) appear in front of you as if by magic (no pun intended) via a holgram, albeit a VERY realistic hologram that places them directly in front of you in the scene as if they were there without a screen or anything. They appear in the defense against the dark arts room (I warn you now this is a total spoiler) to help you get out of the castle. As Dumbledore previously explained, they are using the Defense Against the Dark arts room for Professor Binns to give you his lecture, "Hogwarts through the Ages". Harry, Ron, and Hermione come to help you get out of this and go watch a quidditch game, the adventure thus ensuing is a very fun one.
Hope that helped you plan it out and know what to expect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShireMagic View Post
I'm going to the Wizarding World in February! Never been to America before, very excited, though slightly odd as I'm leaving the UK to see something that would be in the UK if it was the real Hogsmeade!

Anyway I wanted to ask about the robes, am I correct in thinking they are about $100? Has anybody bought these? I want to know what the quality is like, the washing instructions, sizing and is it really worth that much money? I need to know as I need to start saving up my money now!

Thanks
The robes are made of a very fine quality material, as are most products in the Wizarding World. It is true that they cost $100, but if you really want them, I think they might be worth the money... But that's up to you, only if you want them. The only reason I would buy robes would be because I can't find any house robes other than Gryffindor... There is plenty of other less expensive merchandise if you think it's just a tad too much for robes, trust me, lots of house merchandise and exclusive merchandise. Have fun!!!

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is now officially open! We can finally enter the world we always dreamed about!

"Of course it's been happening in your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean it's not real?" Albus Dumbledore

"Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love" Albus Dumbledore

"After all, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" Albus Dumbledore

Love Dumbledore's wise quotes, he's definitely got his priorities straight and his heart in the right place.
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:36 pm
Second Year

I just returned from two days at the park. When it first opened, I literally had dreams about going to the park, so I finally gave in and bought a package deal to go over Thanksgiving holidays. I was nervous that the park wouldn't live up to its hype. And while some aspects of the park were disappointing, others completely blew me away.

Favorite parts:
  • Butterbeer! It was so delicious and exactly how I imagined it. It was warming, tasty, and the foam made it extra special. The pumpkin juice was fun, too. I could finally understand why someone would want to drink pumpkin juice! It tasted exactly like a juice version of pumpkin pie. But the frozen butterbeer is not worth it! It tastes like what happens when you freeze soda and let it thaw to an ice state. The frozen butterbeer tasted watered down and full of icy chunks.
  • The Three Broomsticks. We're vegan so we knew we wouldn't be able to eat much, but our vacation package gave us complimentary breakfast at The Three Broomsticks. We arranged to have only roasted potatoes and crescent rolls, neither of which turned out to be vegan in the end. (They were slathered with butter). But anyway, eating in The Three Broomsticks made me feel like I was in the wizarding world more than any other place in the park. The architecture, the food, and the decor set the mood well. We sat on benches that had been varnished to look ancient. We had loads of food just like in the dinner scenes in the books. It just felt right.
  • Honeydukes and Zonkos. I was most looking forward to Honeydukes even though I knew there would be very little I could buy (being vegan). The layout of Zonkos fit the image in my head of all the wizarding shops - loads of shelves piled high with products and narrow aisles. Honeydukes was good, too. They tried hard to recreate many of the sweets mentioned in the books. I think they could still have more. Where were the Chocoballs that Ron mentioned in Book 3, the ones stuffed with clotted cream?
  • The Forbidden Journey. SPOILERS AHEAD. I loved the special effects at the beginning when you are soaring over Hogwarts, later when you join the Quidditch game, and last when you fly over the lake to return to Hogwarts. The flying sequences made me queasy on the first ride (I'm afraid of heights) but on my second ride, I was able to keep my eyes completely open and savor the feeling that I was really flying with them. It was great! I also loved the beginning sequence with Hermione and the floo network.

Least favorite parts:
  • Crowd control. Universal still doesn't have a handle on the crowd issue that was a problem in the opening months. I assumed that they would have figured it out by November, but it was a mess. During our first day at the park, they devised three different ways of letting people into the Wizarding World. First, you just had to line up and wait in the Sindbad and Jurassic parks. A few hours later, you needed to pick up a ticket from someone near Jurassic Park and then line up like before. And at the end of the day, they made people wait in line to get the tickets to wait in line to get into the park through the bridge entrance. It was ridiculous. The next day, we used our early admission pass to get into the park early. (It was STILL crowded. We arrived at 8:10 am in the park and there was already a 90 minute wait for Ollivanders). As we were leaving the park, we noticed they had implemented a fourth system of crowd control! Now they were giving out tickets with times when you could return and enter the wizarding world. They need to organize a single way of letting people enter the park, and to monitor the lines closely to make sure people aren't skipping ahead.
  • Merchandise. A lot of the merch in shops leaned more towards Harry Potter fan. I really wasn't interested in seeing t-shirts with Harry Potter's face on them. I wanted to see more "authentic" merchandise that Hogwarts students would buy.
  • Forbidden Journey. I loved the flying sequences, but the rest of the ride was lackluster. The switch from the flying sequences to real sets was jarring. The transition wasn't smooth. And the special effects with the real sets were disappointing. SPOILERS AHEAD! On our first ride, the dragon appeared and opened his mouth....and we could see red light bulbs in his mouth. The second time, he blew smoke in our faces, which was an improvement. I think this is a timing issue because we heard him blowing smoke the first time, but that was after the bench had moved on. The spiders and dementors weren't scary. In fact, there were skulls hanging around the dementors and I could see these perfectly round "mouth" areas on the dementor dummies. It looked fake, and I was disappointed. It didn't help that the second time through, the ride broke down in the middle of the Quidditch sequence and when it restarted 10 minutes later, the lights stayed on throughout the ride. And the Universal staff didn't offer to let us ride again; they acted like nothing had happened.

I definitely recommend going! I was very sad to leave, but it felt very good to be there.

Old November 29th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Third Year

So, I finally went to The Wizarding World a couple weeks ago. It was absolutely amazing! I wish I knew how to post pictures, or else I would show you all the ones I took, which came out great!

I could see the castle from a far, which got me even more excited and when I finally entered The Wizarding World, I had a employee take a picture of my boyfriend and I with the castle in the background. It came out quite lovely. I even loved more the detail in the front of the castle.

As I walked a bit more, I saw the choir singing with their frogs and even more detail with the buildings in Hogsmeade. There wasn't as many people as I thought there would be, but probably because I had went on a Tuesday.

The Three Broomsticks: The food was great. I got salad and these pastry-type things that had some sort of meat in it (can't remember the name). Butterbeer (frozen) was fantastic as well and also got the mug that you can keep. People that worked there were very-friendly and nice. I also loved the detail.
As I sat down eating, I looked up and saw shadows moving above.

The Forbidden Journey: ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!
The lines weren't too long, probably took me 15-20 minutes to get on the ride. I loved how detailed everything was! From even before you went on the ride. The moving and talking pictures, Dumbledore and the trio talking to you as you moved through the line, etc. I also got a good glimpse of some of the things that were in Dumbledore's office. They also had the place where Dumbledore went to view memories. Now, on to the actual ride...It was such a thrill! You immediately feel like you're flying on a broomstick with Harry, you feel like you are really there with him, as your sitting down, but your feet are dangling down. My favorite parts of the ride were the mechanical dementors and dragon. The dementors got so close to me, that they were in my face, and the dragon as well, as it blew smoke. When the ride was over, I just wanted to go again and again, but couldn't, since I only had 5 hours in the park.

Random: I couldn't get into Ollivander's since it was so packed and I was on a time limit, but I will have to wait until next time I go to get in. Zonko's wasn't as good as I thought but okay, Honeydukes was amazing though and felt happy to be there. I bought my boyfriend and I chocolate frogs which we both loved, but we didn't get the cards we wanted, for I got Hufflepuff and he got Ravenclaw. Again, I loved the detail.
As I was walking to the bathroom, I heard and saw mandrakes in a window and when I entered the bathroom, I could hear Moaning Myrtle talking, telling some people to "Get out!" Haha.

The only thing I would change is some of the employee's. I only heard one person call me a muggle the whole time. The only person that stayed into character was the conductor for The Hogwart's Express. He was cheery and smiling the whole time.

All in all, I had a great time and am looking forward to go again already!

Last edited by MuggleGirl09; November 29th, 2010 at 6:29 pm.
Old November 29th, 2010, 6:44 pm
First Year

I hate, hate HATED The Forbidden Journey. It made me so ill, I spent most of my time with my eyes closed. My other half doesn't usually get motion sickness, but she had to close her eyes too and took about an hour afterward to stop trembling. It was a real shame to have missed most of the special effects (I briefly saw the spiders and the whomping willow), I really wish they'd make it more "oooh" and less "ARGH", we can't be the only people who were put off by it.

The walk there is great, but it was fairly quiet, so the queue moved very fast and we didn't have much time to take it all in! 11-year old son wasn't too keen on Forbidden Journey but he did go on the Hippogriff ride a million times (while we were tucked way in the shade, it was boiling hot that day).

Food-wise, my favourite was the pumpkin juice, although I did try the butterbeer as well (to get the mug!). Had a big salad at the Three Broomsticks, loved the shadowplay on the wall (of an owl delivering a message).

Honeydukes wasn't that special, but that's perhaps because you can get most of the sweets here anyway (we have a little shop called "Humbug's" that looks more like Honeydukes than Honeydukes does!). I did regret not buying a chocolate frog, though.

Quote:
I got salad and these pastry-type things that had some sort of meat in it (can't remember the name).
Sounds like a Cornish pasty?

You're right about the conductor, he was brilliant! He seemed to come from the North-West of England but he wasn't giving anything away. Nobody else seemed to be in character.

Old November 29th, 2010, 6:51 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starling View Post
I hate, hate HATED The Forbidden Journey. It made me so ill, I spent most of my time with my eyes closed. My other half doesn't usually get motion sickness, but she had to close her eyes too and took about an hour afterward to stop trembling. It was a real shame to have missed most of the special effects (I briefly saw the spiders and the whomping willow), I really wish they'd make it more "oooh" and less "ARGH", we can't be the only people who were put off by it.

The walk there is great, but it was fairly quiet, so the queue moved very fast and we didn't have much time to take it all in! 11-year old son wasn't too keen on Forbidden Journey but he did go on the Hippogriff ride a million times (while we were tucked way in the shade, it was boiling hot that day).

Food-wise, my favourite was the pumpkin juice, although I did try the butterbeer as well (to get the mug!). Had a big salad at the Three Broomsticks, loved the shadowplay on the wall (of an owl delivering a message).

Honeydukes wasn't that special, but that's perhaps because you can get most of the sweets here anyway (we have a little shop called "Humbug's" that looks more like Honeydukes than Honeydukes does!). I did regret not buying a chocolate frog, though.

Sounds like a Cornish pasty?

You're right about the conductor, he was brilliant! He seemed to come from the North-West of England but he wasn't giving anything away. Nobody else seemed to be in character.
Did you try taking any Dramamine? It's a motion sickness pill. I took two before I got on anything because I wanted to experience everything without getting sick. It worked quite well for me.

Haha, I tried to get a picture with the conductor, but never seemed to get one since he was always walking around everywhere.

And, yes! cornish pastry. Was very good!

Old November 29th, 2010, 7:55 pm
First Year

Can you buy much merchandise from noble collections?

Old November 29th, 2010, 8:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuggleGirl09 View Post
Did you try taking any Dramamine? It's a motion sickness pill.
Which can make you very sleepy. And since I'm the designated driver, I can't take it. Even when I'm not driving, the stuff makes me so drowsy things aren't much fun anymore.

ETA anyhoo, you shouldn't have to take medication to enjoy a theme park ride, should you? OK, I can imagine needing it on a rollercoaster, but this ride was obviously beautifully designed, it really didn't need the stomach churning action. A little, perhaps (or it would have been like the Nemo ride in Epcot), but this was too much.

I can't remember if I saw anything from the Noble collections, actually!

Last edited by Starling; November 29th, 2010 at 8:22 pm.
Old November 29th, 2010, 8:31 pm
Second Year

I don't think I'll ever go to this park. Quite apart from the fact that I can't afford to go to the US, it sounds like a typical Hollywood ripoff, making money from people's love for something. Sorry >.<

Old December 1st, 2010, 1:18 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starling View Post
Which can make you very sleepy. And since I'm the designated driver, I can't take it. Even when I'm not driving, the stuff makes me so drowsy things aren't much fun anymore.

ETA anyhoo, you shouldn't have to take medication to enjoy a theme park ride, should you? OK, I can imagine needing it on a rollercoaster, but this ride was obviously beautifully designed, it really didn't need the stomach churning action. A little, perhaps (or it would have been like the Nemo ride in Epcot), but this was too much.

I can't remember if I saw anything from the Noble collections, actually!
Aww, i'm sorry about that. Weird though, I took two and didn't make me drowsy or sleepy at all. I was awake and fully aware.

And, no I guess not. I am not sure if I even needed it, but ever since a few years ago had stomach problems so I didn't want to take a chance of being sick on any of the rides you know? Wanted to fully experience everything.

But, still hope you had a good time there though!

Old December 1st, 2010, 2:06 am
Second Year

@gabriele87

Sorry Forbidden Journey wasn't quite what you expected. I too went a couple times over Thanksgiving and the ride was having troubles. Especially with the "real effects" scenes. The spiders, the dragon, the whomping willow were all not working right. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

As for crowd control it was tons better then the first week of opening. Also I am not sure where these "mega lines" were at. I went most days last week and never had to wait to get into HP. Of course everytime I visited the park we hit the other places in IOA first.

I suggest anyone who is visiting the park , especially during poeak time or a holiday, save HP for the end of the day.

Old December 7th, 2010, 2:48 am
First Year

I'm going to the Wizarding World in February, and am really excited! I can imagine I'll spend quite a bit of money there. Any advice you can give me? What's the best time of day to go? Is it very busy in February?

Old December 7th, 2010, 3:04 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I finally had the chance to go, It was pretty awesome, of course I would have enjoyed the experience much if I had had money to spend on the many items I wanted to try, but I was penniless, I made a big effort to take my girls to Disney again and to visit the park but I did not have a penny to spend but nevertheless I can say its pretty neat.

My favorite one was the Forbidden Journey ride, that was the best, it is really freaking awesome , I only got to do it once cause Belen could not ride on it and we had to take turns with my hubby which really sucked cause Belen is a big fan as well but , I understand she was not big enough and therefore not safe enough for her to ride. She did ride the flight of the Hippogriff twice which was fun as well , and we did not do the dragons cause I am not a fan of rollercoastes so...

We did try butterbeer which is simply delicious and my hubby got me a Gryffindor Hoodie, for Xmas . I wanted a cloak but he said paying that much for something I could not wear everyday was simply silly. So , okay , I got the hoodie. which is awesome.

One thing I liked was the detail in the stores, I got to see a mandragora and quaffles on windows displays , it was pretty neat.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old December 11th, 2010, 12:15 am
First Year

I really want to go. :( But I'm a (poor) student living in Europe, I could never afford it anytime soon. I really wish they would build one in the UK as well! Would be closer to home. D:

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:36 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
@gabriele87

Sorry Forbidden Journey wasn't quite what you expected. I too went a couple times over Thanksgiving and the ride was having troubles. Especially with the "real effects" scenes. The spiders, the dragon, the whomping willow were all not working right. Hopefully they will fix it soon.
I still really enjoyed Forbidden Journey, but I just thought the "real" parts of the ride never quite lived up to the flying sequences on the screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
As for crowd control it was tons better then the first week of opening. Also I am not sure where these "mega lines" were at. I went most days last week and never had to wait to get into HP. Of course everytime I visited the park we hit the other places in IOA first.

I suggest anyone who is visiting the park , especially during poeak time or a holiday, save HP for the end of the day.
I know the crowd control was better than opening day, but I would still expect Universal to have learned some lessons from that experience and to have finalized an action plan for when the park gets crowded. Instead their crowd control measures seemed randomized and completely unplanned. Not to mention that I went to the park to enjoy the Wizarding World, not to elbow for space to make it past the fruit stand.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad I went and I wish I had stayed longer. But I was unimpressed with some of Universal's logistics and execution.

Old December 14th, 2010, 6:09 pm
First Year

Was just curious what everyone is hearing about the expansion to the Wizarding World, I was just down at the start of the month and loved it, however sad to say, I didn't get to see and do all I wanted, then when I came home, just heard about the expansion so was just curious about that and what all is being said, thanks in advance.

Old December 14th, 2010, 9:53 pm
Second Year

I really, really, really want to go!

I have a huge crush on Helena Bonham Carter. Who knew mad could look so good?
Old December 19th, 2010, 4:49 pm
First Year

Wizarding World of HP... has this happened to anyone else...??

I went to the wizarding world a few months ago and I bought a wand from Ollivanders. I rarely touch it. it's a collectable that sits in the box and once in a while I take it out to look at it. But when I took it out today... it was cracked! The handle had a small crack going across it so now the top of my wand (the part where u hold it) is really crooked. It looks like rons wand! I have no idea why this happened. I live in a place where we get real winters... so maybe its the cold weather? but its not like i have it outside. but idk if it's because of the compression of the weather conditions or something? but has this ever happened to u? how do i fix it?

I can't hot glue it yet

Last edited by PianoPlaya; December 19th, 2010 at 8:04 pm.
Old December 20th, 2010, 5:57 pm
First Year

Re: Wizarding World of HP... has this happened to anyone else...??

I did visit the WWOHP a month ago but I didn't buy a wand. I'd recommend contacting the park, specifically the memorabilia part to see what they can do for you. Who knows, they may even send you out a new one for free...doubt it, though. Sorry for your luck, the park was amazing though, huh?

"The right man for the job...or something."
Old December 20th, 2010, 7:44 pm
Second Year

Order the same one from the Noble Collection, then send your old broken one back as faulty, get your money back and keep the good one.......... Just kidding.

"A writer who claims to own a character absolutely denies the existence of that character's soul." ~
Old December 20th, 2010, 9:32 pm
Third Year

Just curious... Is the wand you purchased from the "Ollivanders" shop in the WWOHP a resin cast wand or is it real wood?

If it's resin, it does this all the time... I also frequent a message board for scale modelers and there are resin casts of different models. The resin will warp and crack a lot of times too...

If it's wood, then I'd have to see the crack...

That's why I use the real wood in my wands... but so many people want the "fancy" designs that they see in the films... Those are all made of resin as of the third film...

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies