Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Old October 8th, 2010, 5:58 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Re: Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

I think Universal closes at 6pm in the fall. It seems silly to me, but maybe they do it cause they have that Halloween horror nights?

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2010, 6:01 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottriplets View Post
What? The park wasn't open at night? When I was there with Jenn in the summer it was open and Hogwart's was absolutely beautiful!!!
Waah! I think the hours changed drastically in the fall. I'm pretty sure it was closed after 5 or 6 (that's what was posted). At least they started closing off the lines. Olivanders closed around then when we were on line, so I assume the roller coasters started to close too. Not sure about Forbidden Journey. The shops and stuff were open, but we didn't stay long enough to see if they start shooing you out. The third day we were out towards the front of the park at around 5 or 6 and my brother and friend got on The Hulk twice before I saw the security guy rope off the entrance of the ride.

It's possible we didn't realize it stayed open later, but we had made reservations because we thought it was going to close and there were enough indicators that made it seem to be true. Who knows though? We didn't realize Disney was having stuff after hours as well because it wasn't posted anywhere. Maybe the same was true for Universal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl View Post
I think Universal closes at 6pm in the fall. It seems silly to me, but maybe they do it cause they have that Halloween horror nights?
Maybe. Islands is open to 7 on the weekends, I think. Still I wonder if you could have lingered. That's what seemed to happen at Disney. They said the park closed at 7 and didn't have it posted that their Halloween thing was going on at night. People stayed until 12:30!

IMO, it's more worth the price of admission if they stay open a little later. I feel you get less for the same price when they close so early... though Universal had a good deal through the Orlando tourism site. It was buy a 2-park ticket for 2 days and get the third free.

Old October 8th, 2010, 7:03 pm
Queen of Apathy

Great pics boushh! Thanks for sharing.

I should be going next month sometime.

Old October 8th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
Great pics boushh! Thanks for sharing.

I should be going next month sometime.
Have fun and have a frozen butterbeer.

Old October 11th, 2010, 8:16 pm
Second Year

Boush - There was a different conductor when I went! He had a mustache and was a bit chubbier round the middle. He looked like an awesome conductor! Haha, took some pics with him. When I went round June 20 something, it was open till 10:00PM. We stayed till 10:30-11:00 and they didn't do anything. The first night, we were in line to go to the Forbidden Journey at that point, and there was no line at all. We went right through the Herbology Greenhouse into the castle (though we still walked slowly to take in EVERYTHING!!!). Overall, I believe I went on the FJ 7 times, the Flight of the Hippogriff 2-3 times, and the Dragon Challenge 0 times. I'm a wimp when it comes to roller-coasters, so I just walked up as far as I dared, so I still saw the eggs, triwizard cup, etc. Perhaps I will ride it next time...

"It's lucky it's dark. I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs."
Old October 11th, 2010, 8:26 pm
First Year

They won't be open until 10:00 PM when we're going, they've got the horror nights on (brrrr!).

The tips I've had so far were "when you go into Islands of Adventure, turn right, since everybody else goes left, but the problem is that Hogwarts is on your left." Gee, thanks :P

Old October 11th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Dan the Man, I got queasier on FJ than I did on Dragon Challenge, believe it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starling View Post
They won't be open until 10:00 PM when we're going, they've got the horror nights on (brrrr!).

The tips I've had so far were "when you go into Islands of Adventure, turn right, since everybody else goes left, but the problem is that Hogwarts is on your left." Gee, thanks :P
I would go right. I think you get the better entrance into the area that way. If you go left you do see Hogwarts first, but you get a side view before you enter the WW section and see the castle. If you go right and go through the Seuss area and Lost Continent then you enter through Hogsmeade, which just looks amazing. It really feels like one is walking into the WW.

Just my two cents on that.

Old October 11th, 2010, 11:04 pm
Triple Threat in Third Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh View Post
I would go right. I think you get the better entrance into the area that way. If you go left you do see Hogwarts first, but you get a side view before you enter the WW section and see the castle. If you go right and go through the Seuss area and Lost Continent then you enter through Hogsmeade, which just looks amazing. It really feels like one is walking into the WW.

Just my two cents on that.
I envy you being able to go in from the right. When Jenn and I went (on our first day) we initially went to the right through Seussland. When we reached WWoHP we were asked for a "specific ticket" for the WWoHP. Of course we didn't have one, so we were instructed to go all the way back and go to the left (eventually through Jurassic Park). This was the only way you could enter then. I'm sure it was because it was just a few days after the grand opening and they were trying to control the crowds. We could only enter that same way on our second day.

I hope when we go back next year the lines won't be that long.

Old October 13th, 2010, 6:39 pm
Third Year

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Dan_the_Man and Keirstoast, I absolutely loved reading through them pretending it was me . In one hand I love reading people recount the magic they felt when they first saw Hogwarts or their very first taste of Butterbeer, but then on the other hand I just pretty much die when I finish reading bumping straight back into reality . I won't be able to visit the park for at least one whole year, ah well I'll just have to cling onto these boards in them mean time

Oh and yes do continue the story Dan_the_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh View Post
Just thought I'd share some pictures from my trip
to the park.

100 plus photos at this link to flickr.

Hogwarts Castle 4
by boushh2187, on Flickr

Hogwarts Express with conductor 2
by boushh2187, on Flickr

Honeydukes indoor window display 1
by boushh2187, on Flickr
Thanks for the pictures! They were awesome! I didn't go through all of them though as I've decided that the next time I see the Hogwarts castle will be in person!!! (Except for in the promo pictures, TV and internet ads, random videos on YouTube every now and then when I'm bored, the movies themselves and the posters plastered everywhere I go... but other than that!)

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -
Old October 16th, 2010, 6:52 pm
Second Year

If you are going between now and halloween you should be able to see WWOHP after dark. Especially on the weekends. IOA is open on most weekend nights at 9:00pm. If you are going on a week day the park closes at 7 or 6pm dpending on the day. The days are getting shorter everyday so hopefully people visiting will be able to see the park at night even if its only for 30 minutes or so.

Old October 17th, 2010, 6:04 pm
First Year

*jots down "turn right"*

Less than a week to go! Squee!

Does IOA not have the Hallowe'en horror nights, Snuffy?

Old October 17th, 2010, 9:42 pm
First Year

Harry Potter Merchandise at the Wizarding World

Hi All

I will soon be attending the Universal Islands of Aventure Wizarding World.

My mum is a huge Harry Potter fan and I would like to get her something that cannot be bought elsewhere. Does anyone know which pieces of merchanise are "exclusive" to the park? And is there anything particularly rare / of note / expensive? She is a fantastic mother and had a very difficult year and would like to get her something truly fantastic.

Thankyou so much in advance for your help!

Daniel

Old October 17th, 2010, 11:00 pm
Second Year

Re: Harry Potter Merchandise at the Wizarding World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedman View Post
Hi All

I will soon be attending the Universal Islands of Aventure Wizarding World.

My mum is a huge Harry Potter fan and I would like to get her something that cannot be bought elsewhere. Does anyone know which pieces of merchanise are "exclusive" to the park? And is there anything particularly rare / of note / expensive? She is a fantastic mother and had a very difficult year and would like to get her something truly fantastic.

Thankyou so much in advance for your help!

Daniel
Many many things are exclusive to the park. I'd say a wand would be really cool, but if you want something totally unique, perhaps Pumpkin Juice would be appropriate. It serves as both a drink, and a cool bottle (which could be displayed or reused)... Hope that helps!

Quote:
*jots down "turn right"*

There was a time when IoA had Halloween Horror Nights, but it's not scheduled for this year. There may be a time when they bring it back to Islands of Adventure, however, it's not this year. Hope that helps as well

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is now officially open! We can finally enter the world we always dreamed about!

"Of course it's been happening in your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean it's not real?" Albus Dumbledore

"Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love" Albus Dumbledore

"After all, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" Albus Dumbledore

Love Dumbledore's wise quotes, he's definitely got his priorities straight and his heart in the right place.
Old October 18th, 2010, 1:11 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starling View Post
*jots down "turn right"*

Like Frogki said, IOA doesn't do anything for Halloweeen Hs anymore. Though there has been talks about reopening a Halloween event on the IOA for a more family friendly thing which I think would go quite well with a Halloween decorated Hogsmeade and Hogwarts.

But this is actually a good thing. Since Universal Studios side closes early 5:30 on the weekend, this is the only time IOA will be open later (8pm) during off season. So take advantage of it if you can.

I personally hate the early closing. As for me, the only reason I don;t go much during the off season is just because it closes too early. I think if the park wanted to cut down on hours it should do it on both ends. Maybe open the park from noon to 9 pm. But thats just me.

To thedman:

I think Frogki is right. A bottle of Pumpkin Juice can me taken home and its an alright collector's bottle also. Beyond that, I think the Pygmie Puffs are exclusive to Universal and they are now back in stock so that might be a gift.

Also, if your thinking of a Pygmy Puff maybe throw a question to your mother if she had a Pygmy Puff what would SHE name it? Then tape yourself buying one for her and they might do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jakMmc5weis

Old November 21st, 2010, 4:14 pm
Second Year

I'm going to the themepark again I didn't get a chance to do everything last time, because it was crazy crowded opening day. Do any of you have any suggestions regarding the merchandise that I should buy? I want to get something really cool.

AVPS Draco: And when I found out about their evil plot, I stowed away in my father's fanny pack... so that I could stop them.

"Back to wizards and witches, and magical beasts, to goblins and ghosts and to magical feasts. It's all that I love, and it's all that I need at Hogwarts, Hogwarts!!" <3

~Of course this is happening inside your head Harry, but why on earth should it mean that it is not real?~

I've been sorted in Gryffindor!
Old November 21st, 2010, 5:11 pm
Fifth Year

Being that I finally got my raise and can now afford to take my family, I'm going next year, w00t!! I'm not sure if we'll over Easter vacation or summer yet -whichever has the least crowds, I imagine.

I've decided we're going to Florida via train, I'm not putting up with the current TSA nonsense -flying has become too much of a hassle. Train should be cheaper anyway, and I'll just pretend with my son that we're on the Hogwarts Express.

So, if I get this right, you don't actually buy your wand at Ollivanders, but you can get chosen by a wand that you can purchase next door, correct? Are the birthday wands also made of resin, or do they actually make any of them out of real wood, ala Alivans? My son is dying to have the whole experience. I'm going to go all out and buy a ton of stuff there, because I don't know when we'll be able to go again. May as well do it right! I just wish they sold Skelegrow bottles too.. they're cool.

One other question- when you're doing the tour of Hogwarts, (Forbidden Journey) exactly how do Harry, Ron, and Hermione "appear" while you're touring the castle? On a big flat screen? Or a hologram type thing? How does that integrate with the castle tour exactly? I can understand talking portraits.. but..?
Also, is part of the tour on foot? Can you actually walk around DD's office, or are you on a guided track system of some sort? I'd love to just be able to walk around in there.

Old November 21st, 2010, 5:31 pm
First Year

I'm going to the Wizarding World in February! Never been to America before, very excited, though slightly odd as I'm leaving the UK to see something that would be in the UK if it was the real Hogsmeade!

Anyway I wanted to ask about the robes, am I correct in thinking they are about $100? Has anybody bought these? I want to know what the quality is like, the washing instructions, sizing and is it really worth that much money? I need to know as I need to start saving up my money now!

Thanks

Harry Potter... The Boy Who Lived.
Giving it all for the red and gold!
Pottermore: SpiritSnidget3
Old November 21st, 2010, 5:50 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
So, if I get this right, you don't actually buy your wand at Ollivanders, but you can get chosen by a wand that you can purchase next door, correct? Are the birthday wands also made of resin, or do they actually make any of them out of real wood, ala Alivans? My son is dying to have the whole experience. I'm going to go all out and buy a ton of stuff there, because I don't know when we'll be able to go again. May as well do it right! I just wish they sold Skelegrow bottles too.. they're cool.

One other question- when you're doing the tour of Hogwarts, (Forbidden Journey) exactly how do Harry, Ron, and Hermione "appear" while you're touring the castle? On a big flat screen? Or a hologram type thing? How does that integrate with the castle tour exactly? I can understand talking portraits.. but..?
Also, is part of the tour on foot? Can you actually walk around DD's office, or are you on a guided track system of some sort? I'd love to just be able to walk around in there.
One people out of a group of 30 gets chosen by the wand salesman, and helps that person get their wand. Then that person is given the choice to buy that one, or any other of the ones in the adjacent store (Which I believe is Flourish and Blotts).

None of the wands are made of wood, sadly.

The trio (and another character) appear as holograms. VERY realistic. I loved it. And it integrates with the "storyline" presented in the ride itself. The line/tour, is on foot, guided by rails. When you pass through Dumbledore's office, you are on a rail a bit further down from his desk.

Quote:
Anyway I wanted to ask about the robes, am I correct in thinking they are about $100? Has anybody bought these? I want to know what the quality is like, the washing instructions, sizing and is it really worth that much money? I need to know as I need to start saving up my money now!
Yes they cost exactly 100 dollars. I didn't buy one because I'm not someone who likes dressing up, but the quality seemed pretty good. They are definitely quality apparel. They come in all sizes -- although, depending on the season, some might be sold out (I went this July, and they didn't have any Medium sized Ravenclaw robes).

Last edited by dreyesbo; November 21st, 2010 at 5:53 pm.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 2:04 pm
Second Year

we might be going to this theme park in june or july. I told my parents that this is all I want for my birthday....so let's see if they do it. hopefully they do, because I want a wand and a butterbeer.

Old November 24th, 2010, 1:34 am
Second Year

Headed to the AMC theater at Universal tomorrow for HP 7 then off tothe park. Can;t wait, its been over month since I've been there.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies