Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

Old November 1st, 2006, 3:09 am
Fourth Year

Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonibWazley View Post
If Crookshanks is important in Book 7, then he will be reintroduced to the story in Movie 7. Audiences won't care how Crookshanks was portrayed in POA, as it will have no effect on the story of Movie 7.
Not only will they not care, they won't even remember who Crookshanks is by the time Film 7 rolls around anyways.

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2006, 3:14 am
Fifth Year

PoA, because it used to be my favorite book before i saw the movie. i dont like letting movies spoil my books, but PoA did. It was stuff like leaving out who the Mauraders all were that really bugged me, and the stupid little heads making smart remarks, and just things like that. it didnt feel very Harry Potter-ish to me.

Old November 1st, 2006, 6:37 pm
Sixth Year

GoF. There's too much unneeded aggression in the book, f. ex. the twins fighting. I hate how some characters behave as if they weren't them! Take the twins as an example again, they wouldn't fight! Many of characters in GoF movie are shown in a shallow way. Krum as an example.

Check out my fanfiction about Lily, Snape and the Marauders here
It was written shortly after HBP and there are lots of events predicted!
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:40 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonPrincess View Post
PoA!!! They hardly got anything right?? There was NOTHING with Crookshanks in it. What are they going to do if Crookshanks turns out to be important?
Crookshanks was introduced as a character in PoA. We see him chasing Wormtail in the Leaky Cauldron down the hallway when we first see Ron and Hermione.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:01 pm
First Year

I hated the film rendition of the first book. It was alright overall, but for some reason it didn't seem to capture the spirit of the book right...this is just my opinion, and I love the other films

Old November 2nd, 2006, 2:20 am
Fifth Year

Another thing I hate is how they're making Ron into a ridiculous one-dimensional "dumb sidekick" archetype with an annoying catchphrase. True, Ron may come off as a little cowardly, but he's not stupid.

Old November 2nd, 2006, 2:56 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarapsys View Post
PoA, definitely, bc it's my favorite book, and I just hated so many things about that movie...I didn't like the way my favorite character was cast, I didn't like how nobody ever explained about the Marauders, I didn't like how half the movie was watching the Willow eat birds, I hated the whole zen atmosphere thing...the whole movie just drove me nuts.
"Watching the Willow eat birds" - I hated those Willow bits, and I read that and burst out laughing.

I didn't really like the CoS or PoA movies. CoS just lumbered along - it moved so slowly, but I felt like they still skipped half of the plot. It's my favorite of the books, and I thought the movie just fell flat - and took a really long time to do it.

PoA is my least favorite, though. It doesn't even feel like the book to me. That zen atmosphere bugged me too, and the Remus/Sirius/Peter/Harry scene went by at warp speed. The characters talked so fast that I could barely follow, and I wound up having to explain the whole Marauders plotline to my boyfriend afterward. Also, I didn't like that they presented Lupin as more Lily's friend than James'. Harry's dad is a big part of the book PoA, what with being Sirius' best friend, a Marauder and the source of Harry's Patronus, and I felt like he was just lifted out of the story.

Before PoA movie fans kill me, though, I do think that it was the best acted of all of the movies, especially well-acted by the trio. Daniel Radcliffe was much better in PoA and Emma Watson wasn't overdoing it (like in GoF). PoA also had better continuity - time theme, Hogsmeade, danger from Sirius Black all pervaded throughout, which didn't always happen with the first two movies.

And it's all just my opinion! For example, I can't stand Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and my best friend loves it. We have argued about its merits (or lack thereof) for hours, and now we pretty much agree to disagree. We see the same issues differently, and sometimes it drives me crazy, but we respect each other's opinions.

"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have," said Hermione.

Harry's "hand closed automatically around the fake Horcrux, but in spite of everything, in spite of the dark and twisting path he saw stretching ahead for himself, in spite of the final meeting with Voldemort he knew must come, whether in a month, in a year, or in ten, he felt his heart lift at the thought that there was still one last golden day of peace left to enjoy with Ron and Hermione." - HP and the Half-Blood Prince

Last edited by Malindorie; November 5th, 2006 at 6:50 am.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 4:18 am
First Year

I think Goblet of Fire.Seriously the movie earned a lot of money,but it didn't earn satisfaction,I read Goblet of Fire once while watching the film,they missed like over 400 pages from the book.I hope Yates does something better with OOTP,hope he does listen to fan's requests.

My Deathly Hallows Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arm0uDBOF5I
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:48 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBP2008 View Post
I think Goblet of Fire.Seriously the movie earned a lot of money,but it didn't earn satisfaction,I read Goblet of Fire once while watching the film,they missed like over 400 pages from the book.I hope Yates does something better with OOTP,hope he does listen to fan's requests.
But they are not filming the book (which is impossible: a book conveys its meaning via words; a film conveys its meaning via images); they are filming the story.

The difference is absolutely fundamental, and fans failure to grasp this is the root of their discontent.

I still don't understand the original question. Why would a film drive a person mad while they are reading a book????????????????????????????????

The film is better than the book #1: Brokeback Mountain

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience
would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:58 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Beruth View Post
I still don't understand the original question. Why would a film drive a person mad while they are reading a book????????????????????????????????
Obviously it's posing the question to the person's tolerance to outside intereference to their reading of a Harry Potter book while watching the appropriate corresponding film. Perhaps some people are able to watch PoA and read at the same time without any annoyance compared to other people who need more silence to concentrate on reading.

Old November 4th, 2006, 12:56 am
Banned

Well for me, I had seen COS and the gorgeous promo posters for POA beforehand, so when I started reading the books, the established characters like the trio and the Hogwarts staff from the movies were pretty much exactly how I pictured them when reading for the first time--which I don't mind. The rest ofcourse was from my imagination. Yet interestingly, the Dursleys I somehow managed to construct differently in my head. I think they're perfect in the movies, but for some reason I imagine different people when reading the books. Ofcourse I've never cared to reread the books in full, so nothing really drives me mad. I suppose if I did, there would probably be a few instances where I'd think "Oh why didn't they put that line in?".

The only instance I can think of was when Harry threw the button at Ron's head and then told him that if were lucky enough he might even get a scar. I really wished hey had put that in because it was such a brilliant line. In fact, I guess that's the only thing in which I can sympathise with whining fans. On occasion, Jo writes wonderful lines that would be cinematically perfect if left intact and given to the appropriate character, but alas, it is difficult to remember all of those things when typing up the screenplay, I imagine.

My grammar is terrible.

Last edited by psycha; November 4th, 2006 at 1:46 am.
Old November 4th, 2006, 1:42 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycha View Post
Well for me, I had seen COS and the gorgeous promo posters for POA beforehand, so when I started reading the books, the established characters like the trio and the Hogwarts staff from the movies were pretty much exactly how I pictured them when reading for the first time--which I don't mind. The rest ofcourse was from my imagination. Yet interestingly, the Dursleys I somehow managed to construct differently in my head. I think they're perfect in the movies, but for some reason I imagine different people when reading the books. Ofcourse I've never cared to reread the books in full, so nothing really drives me mad. I suppose if I did, there would probably be a few instances where I'd think "Oh why didn't they put that in?".

The only instance I can think of was when Harry threw the button at Ron's head and then told him that if were lucky enough he might even get a scar. I really wished hey had put that in because it was such a brilliant line. In fact, I guess that's the only thing in which I can sympathise with whining fans. On occasion, Jo writes wonderful dialogue that would be cinematically perfect if left intact and given to the appropriate character, but alas, it is difficult to remember all of those things when typing up the screenplay, I imagine.

My grammar is terrible.
Your grammar is fine. I hardly notice your bad speeling.

Old November 4th, 2006, 1:48 am
Banned

Oh yeah, sorry. It's cause I type too fast. And English is actually my second language. I'm Greek Canadian. I wish the spell check option for these forums didn't require downloading some special thingamajig. Oh well.

Old November 5th, 2006, 5:06 am
Second Year

i know that obviously movies cant be as good and cant include everything but far out its that annoying when they cut out scenes vital to the plot and then add things in. for example goblet of fire had many scenes that arnt in the book and the fragon scene went forever. so that makes me mad because far enough its a long bok things need to be cut out but freakin hell why add stuff in when you could have things that are acutally in the book and important (for the following books ie fred and george getting prize monye, rita skeeter, hargrid being a half giant). so in answer to the question probably GOB although i did find it amusing and POA annoys me a lot to for the same reasons.

Old November 5th, 2006, 6:11 am
Fourth Year

Why does everyone think the dragon scene went on for too long? The Quidditch scenes in SS and COS were 4 times as long!

By the way, nothing vital to the plot of GOF was cut from the movie.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:35 pm
Second Year

Quote:

By the way, nothing vital to the plot of GOF was cut from the movie.
i disagree. i beleive that the whole story of how barty crouch jnr escapes Azkaban is vital to the plot and also we dont learn anything about Snapes past as a death eater which obviously proves to be very important. the ending shows nothing of Fudge not listening to the fact that 'you know who' is back so therefore i think they have fraked themselves for the next movies. just my opinion though.

Old November 5th, 2006, 1:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Why does everyone think the dragon scene went on for too long? The Quidditch scenes in SS and COS were 4 times as long!
Maybe because Quidditch is meant to last a while. The whole point of the dragon scene however was that Harry got the egg the fastest and tied with Krum as top scorer on the first task. The ways the first two tasks were set up make them seem irrelevant to the rest of the competition. In the books the winners got points which gave them a headstart in the maze. In the movie everyone started at the same time anyway, so what was the point of the first two tasks.

Last edited by zacz; November 5th, 2006 at 3:09 pm. Reason: spelling
Old November 5th, 2006, 1:49 pm
Second Year

i feel the same about movies 3 and 4, dont get me wrong, they were great and i enjoyed them thoroughly, but there were so many things that were missed out, for example the movie viewers still don't know that rita skeeter is an unregistered animagus.so basically it bothered me that so much was skipped, things that added 'flavor' to the plot.

Old November 5th, 2006, 3:24 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleweasley View Post
i disagree. i beleive that the whole story of how barty crouch jnr escapes Azkaban is vital to the plot and also we dont learn anything about Snapes past as a death eater which obviously proves to be very important. the ending shows nothing of Fudge not listening to the fact that 'you know who' is back so therefore i think they have fraked themselves for the next movies. just my opinion though.
How Barty escaped isn't important. The only important thing is that he is impersonating Moody to "help" Harry win the tournament.

Snape's past isn't important either, at least not in GOF.

And finally, Fudge's disbelief about Voldy's return is the plot of OOTP, not GOF. There is no reason to include it in GOF when OOTP will have to reintroduce that plot anyway.

You have to understand that you cannot use events from movie X as a setup for events in movie X+1. Any relevant parts of movie X will need to be reintroduced in movie X+1 exactly the same way they would be if movie X did not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacz View Post
Maybe because Quidditch is meant to last a while. The whole point of the dragon scene however was that Harry got the egg the fastest and tied with Krum as top scorer on the first task. The ways the first two tasks were set up make them seem irrelevant to the rest of the competition. In the books the winners got points which gave them a headstart in the maze. In the movie everyone started at the same time anyway, so what was the point of the first two tasks.
The point of each task (and indeed the Yule Ball) is to show bravery in the face of extreme peril. That is the story of GOF, after all. The Quidditch scenes in SS and COS had no relevance to the story, and they introduced only one minor plot point (Snape?trying to kill Harry, and Dobby's bludger).

And perhaps you need to watch GOF again. Dumbledore clearly says that Harry and Cedric will be first to enter the maze, followed by Krum and Fleur.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old November 5th, 2006, 5:43 pm
Second Year

My favorite book is POA. It's amazing. That's all there is to it.
The movie on the other hand, well that was a steaming pile of ****. After reading the book I was so excited to see the movie to get a visual on my favorite character, Lupin. Of course I was extremely dissapointed with the outcome of that (to say the very least). Then the whole meet-up between Sirius and Lupin was not near as good as it was in the book. And dont even get me started on the ending!!! Ugh, the whole thing was just a major dissapointment. When the movie ended I was so angry. I remember going, "What!? NO!!!!". I was mad for days.

I know I probably just restated things that many people have already said, but I just had to voice my disgust for the POA movie.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies