Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old November 1st, 2006, 3:09 am
k4r6000's Avatar
k4r6000  Male.gif k4r6000 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4562 days
Location: Canada
Posts: 664
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonibWazley View Post
If Crookshanks is important in Book 7, then he will be reintroduced to the story in Movie 7. Audiences won't care how Crookshanks was portrayed in POA, as it will have no effect on the story of Movie 7.
Not only will they not care, they won't even remember who Crookshanks is by the time Film 7 rolls around anyways.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #82  
Old November 1st, 2006, 3:14 am
merry18's Avatar
merry18  Female.gif merry18 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4691 days
Location: In front of the computer
Age: 27
Posts: 943
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

PoA, because it used to be my favorite book before i saw the movie. i dont like letting movies spoil my books, but PoA did. It was stuff like leaving out who the Mauraders all were that really bugged me, and the stupid little heads making smart remarks, and just things like that. it didnt feel very Harry Potter-ish to me.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old November 1st, 2006, 6:37 pm
allegro's Avatar
allegro  Female.gif allegro is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4692 days
Location: in Snape's mind
Age: 41
Posts: 1,362
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

GoF. There's too much unneeded aggression in the book, f. ex. the twins fighting. I hate how some characters behave as if they weren't them! Take the twins as an example again, they wouldn't fight! Many of characters in GoF movie are shown in a shallow way. Krum as an example.


__________________

Check out my fanfiction about Lily, Snape and the Marauders here
It was written shortly after HBP and there are lots of events predicted!
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:40 pm
ID824's Avatar
ID824  Male.gif ID824 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4829 days
Location: Ravendore common room
Posts: 1,047
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonPrincess View Post
PoA!!! They hardly got anything right?? There was NOTHING with Crookshanks in it. What are they going to do if Crookshanks turns out to be important?
Crookshanks was introduced as a character in PoA. We see him chasing Wormtail in the Leaky Cauldron down the hallway when we first see Ron and Hermione.


__________________
You Say I'm Ravenclaw JKR Says I'm Gryffindor
Does this make me Ravendor?

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:01 pm
Sethosayher  Male.gif Sethosayher is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4237 days
Location: Long Island
Posts: 52
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

I hated the film rendition of the first book. It was alright overall, but for some reason it didn't seem to capture the spirit of the book right...this is just my opinion, and I love the other films


__________________
Praise be Azathoth
He who babbles endlessly in the nuclear chaos
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 2:20 am
SKasparRollins  Male.gif SKasparRollins is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4277 days
Posts: 959
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Another thing I hate is how they're making Ron into a ridiculous one-dimensional "dumb sidekick" archetype with an annoying catchphrase. True, Ron may come off as a little cowardly, but he's not stupid.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 2:56 am
Malindorie  Female.gif Malindorie is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4493 days
Location: United States
Age: 33
Posts: 191
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarapsys View Post
PoA, definitely, bc it's my favorite book, and I just hated so many things about that movie...I didn't like the way my favorite character was cast, I didn't like how nobody ever explained about the Marauders, I didn't like how half the movie was watching the Willow eat birds, I hated the whole zen atmosphere thing...the whole movie just drove me nuts.
"Watching the Willow eat birds" - I hated those Willow bits, and I read that and burst out laughing.

I didn't really like the CoS or PoA movies. CoS just lumbered along - it moved so slowly, but I felt like they still skipped half of the plot. It's my favorite of the books, and I thought the movie just fell flat - and took a really long time to do it.

PoA is my least favorite, though. It doesn't even feel like the book to me. That zen atmosphere bugged me too, and the Remus/Sirius/Peter/Harry scene went by at warp speed. The characters talked so fast that I could barely follow, and I wound up having to explain the whole Marauders plotline to my boyfriend afterward. Also, I didn't like that they presented Lupin as more Lily's friend than James'. Harry's dad is a big part of the book PoA, what with being Sirius' best friend, a Marauder and the source of Harry's Patronus, and I felt like he was just lifted out of the story.

Before PoA movie fans kill me, though, I do think that it was the best acted of all of the movies, especially well-acted by the trio. Daniel Radcliffe was much better in PoA and Emma Watson wasn't overdoing it (like in GoF). PoA also had better continuity - time theme, Hogsmeade, danger from Sirius Black all pervaded throughout, which didn't always happen with the first two movies.

And it's all just my opinion! For example, I can't stand Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and my best friend loves it. We have argued about its merits (or lack thereof) for hours, and now we pretty much agree to disagree. We see the same issues differently, and sometimes it drives me crazy, but we respect each other's opinions.


__________________
Harry: " 'Constant vigilance!' You'd think I walk around with my eyes shut, banging off the walls...."

"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have," said Hermione.

Harry's "hand closed automatically around the fake Horcrux, but in spite of everything, in spite of the dark and twisting path he saw stretching ahead for himself, in spite of the final meeting with Voldemort he knew must come, whether in a month, in a year, or in ten, he felt his heart lift at the thought that there was still one last golden day of peace left to enjoy with Ron and Hermione." - HP and the Half-Blood Prince

Last edited by Malindorie; November 5th, 2006 at 6:50 am.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 4:18 am
HBP2008  Male.gif HBP2008 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4224 days
Location: Pensacola,Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 14
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

I think Goblet of Fire.Seriously the movie earned a lot of money,but it didn't earn satisfaction,I read Goblet of Fire once while watching the film,they missed like over 400 pages from the book.I hope Yates does something better with OOTP,hope he does listen to fan's requests.


__________________

My Deathly Hallows Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arm0uDBOF5I
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:48 pm
Queen_Beruth's Avatar
Queen_Beruth  Female.gif Queen_Beruth is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4864 days
Location: England
Posts: 3,062
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBP2008 View Post
I think Goblet of Fire.Seriously the movie earned a lot of money,but it didn't earn satisfaction,I read Goblet of Fire once while watching the film,they missed like over 400 pages from the book.I hope Yates does something better with OOTP,hope he does listen to fan's requests.
But they are not filming the book (which is impossible: a book conveys its meaning via words; a film conveys its meaning via images); they are filming the story.

The difference is absolutely fundamental, and fans failure to grasp this is the root of their discontent.

I still don't understand the original question. Why would a film drive a person mad while they are reading a book????????????????????????????????


__________________
The film is better than the book #1: Brokeback Mountain

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience
would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.

Alfred Hitchcock
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:58 pm
DarwinMayflower  Male.gif DarwinMayflower is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4326 days
Posts: 561
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Beruth View Post
I still don't understand the original question. Why would a film drive a person mad while they are reading a book????????????????????????????????
Obviously it's posing the question to the person's tolerance to outside intereference to their reading of a Harry Potter book while watching the appropriate corresponding film. Perhaps some people are able to watch PoA and read at the same time without any annoyance compared to other people who need more silence to concentrate on reading.


Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:56 am
psycha  Male.gif psycha is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4673 days
Location: Toronto
Posts: 967
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Well for me, I had seen COS and the gorgeous promo posters for POA beforehand, so when I started reading the books, the established characters like the trio and the Hogwarts staff from the movies were pretty much exactly how I pictured them when reading for the first time--which I don't mind. The rest ofcourse was from my imagination. Yet interestingly, the Dursleys I somehow managed to construct differently in my head. I think they're perfect in the movies, but for some reason I imagine different people when reading the books. Ofcourse I've never cared to reread the books in full, so nothing really drives me mad. I suppose if I did, there would probably be a few instances where I'd think "Oh why didn't they put that line in?".

The only instance I can think of was when Harry threw the button at Ron's head and then told him that if were lucky enough he might even get a scar. I really wished hey had put that in because it was such a brilliant line. In fact, I guess that's the only thing in which I can sympathise with whining fans. On occasion, Jo writes wonderful lines that would be cinematically perfect if left intact and given to the appropriate character, but alas, it is difficult to remember all of those things when typing up the screenplay, I imagine.

My grammar is terrible.



Last edited by psycha; November 4th, 2006 at 1:46 am.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old November 4th, 2006, 1:42 am
DarwinMayflower  Male.gif DarwinMayflower is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4326 days
Posts: 561
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycha View Post
Well for me, I had seen COS and the gorgeous promo posters for POA beforehand, so when I started reading the books, the established characters like the trio and the Hogwarts staff from the movies were pretty much exactly how I pictured them when reading for the first time--which I don't mind. The rest ofcourse was from my imagination. Yet interestingly, the Dursleys I somehow managed to construct differently in my head. I think they're perfect in the movies, but for some reason I imagine different people when reading the books. Ofcourse I've never cared to reread the books in full, so nothing really drives me mad. I suppose if I did, there would probably be a few instances where I'd think "Oh why didn't they put that in?".

The only instance I can think of was when Harry threw the button at Ron's head and then told him that if were lucky enough he might even get a scar. I really wished hey had put that in because it was such a brilliant line. In fact, I guess that's the only thing in which I can sympathise with whining fans. On occasion, Jo writes wonderful dialogue that would be cinematically perfect if left intact and given to the appropriate character, but alas, it is difficult to remember all of those things when typing up the screenplay, I imagine.

My grammar is terrible.
Your grammar is fine. I hardly notice your bad speeling.


Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old November 4th, 2006, 1:48 am
psycha  Male.gif psycha is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4673 days
Location: Toronto
Posts: 967
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Oh yeah, sorry. It's cause I type too fast. And English is actually my second language. I'm Greek Canadian. I wish the spell check option for these forums didn't require downloading some special thingamajig. Oh well.


Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old November 5th, 2006, 5:06 am
Nicoleweasley  Female.gif Nicoleweasley is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4629 days
Location: australia
Age: 29
Posts: 199
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

i know that obviously movies cant be as good and cant include everything but far out its that annoying when they cut out scenes vital to the plot and then add things in. for example goblet of fire had many scenes that arnt in the book and the fragon scene went forever. so that makes me mad because far enough its a long bok things need to be cut out but freakin hell why add stuff in when you could have things that are acutally in the book and important (for the following books ie fred and george getting prize monye, rita skeeter, hargrid being a half giant). so in answer to the question probably GOB although i did find it amusing and POA annoys me a lot to for the same reasons.


__________________
Probably means your going to get eaten by a giant marshmellow
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old November 5th, 2006, 6:11 am
RoonibWazley  Male.gif RoonibWazley is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4595 days
Location: Springfield, OR
Age: 35
Posts: 489
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Why does everyone think the dragon scene went on for too long? The Quidditch scenes in SS and COS were 4 times as long!

By the way, nothing vital to the plot of GOF was cut from the movie.


__________________


Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:35 pm
Nicoleweasley  Female.gif Nicoleweasley is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4629 days
Location: australia
Age: 29
Posts: 199
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonibWazley View Post

By the way, nothing vital to the plot of GOF was cut from the movie.
i disagree. i beleive that the whole story of how barty crouch jnr escapes Azkaban is vital to the plot and also we dont learn anything about Snapes past as a death eater which obviously proves to be very important. the ending shows nothing of Fudge not listening to the fact that 'you know who' is back so therefore i think they have fraked themselves for the next movies. just my opinion though.


__________________
Probably means your going to get eaten by a giant marshmellow
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old November 5th, 2006, 1:43 pm
zacz  Male.gif zacz is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4733 days
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Age: 31
Posts: 72
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonibWazley View Post
Why does everyone think the dragon scene went on for too long? The Quidditch scenes in SS and COS were 4 times as long!
Maybe because Quidditch is meant to last a while. The whole point of the dragon scene however was that Harry got the egg the fastest and tied with Krum as top scorer on the first task. The ways the first two tasks were set up make them seem irrelevant to the rest of the competition. In the books the winners got points which gave them a headstart in the maze. In the movie everyone started at the same time anyway, so what was the point of the first two tasks.



Last edited by zacz; November 5th, 2006 at 3:09 pm. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old November 5th, 2006, 1:49 pm
kh312  Female.gif kh312 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4574 days
Location: anywhere i want to be.
Age: 31
Posts: 272
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

i feel the same about movies 3 and 4, dont get me wrong, they were great and i enjoyed them thoroughly, but there were so many things that were missed out, for example the movie viewers still don't know that rita skeeter is an unregistered animagus.so basically it bothered me that so much was skipped, things that added 'flavor' to the plot.


Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old November 5th, 2006, 3:24 pm
RoonibWazley  Male.gif RoonibWazley is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4595 days
Location: Springfield, OR
Age: 35
Posts: 489
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleweasley View Post
i disagree. i beleive that the whole story of how barty crouch jnr escapes Azkaban is vital to the plot and also we dont learn anything about Snapes past as a death eater which obviously proves to be very important. the ending shows nothing of Fudge not listening to the fact that 'you know who' is back so therefore i think they have fraked themselves for the next movies. just my opinion though.
How Barty escaped isn't important. The only important thing is that he is impersonating Moody to "help" Harry win the tournament.

Snape's past isn't important either, at least not in GOF.

And finally, Fudge's disbelief about Voldy's return is the plot of OOTP, not GOF. There is no reason to include it in GOF when OOTP will have to reintroduce that plot anyway.

You have to understand that you cannot use events from movie X as a setup for events in movie X+1. Any relevant parts of movie X will need to be reintroduced in movie X+1 exactly the same way they would be if movie X did not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacz View Post
Maybe because Quidditch is meant to last a while. The whole point of the dragon scene however was that Harry got the egg the fastest and tied with Krum as top scorer on the first task. The ways the first two tasks were set up make them seem irrelevant to the rest of the competition. In the books the winners got points which gave them a headstart in the maze. In the movie everyone started at the same time anyway, so what was the point of the first two tasks.
The point of each task (and indeed the Yule Ball) is to show bravery in the face of extreme peril. That is the story of GOF, after all. The Quidditch scenes in SS and COS had no relevance to the story, and they introduced only one minor plot point (Snape?trying to kill Harry, and Dobby's bludger).

And perhaps you need to watch GOF again. Dumbledore clearly says that Harry and Cedric will be first to enter the maze, followed by Krum and Fleur.


__________________


Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old November 5th, 2006, 5:43 pm
Jezebel  Female.gif Jezebel is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4238 days
Location: Missouri
Age: 31
Posts: 142
Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

My favorite book is POA. It's amazing. That's all there is to it.
The movie on the other hand, well that was a steaming pile of ****. After reading the book I was so excited to see the movie to get a visual on my favorite character, Lupin. Of course I was extremely dissapointed with the outcome of that (to say the very least). Then the whole meet-up between Sirius and Lupin was not near as good as it was in the book. And dont even get me started on the ending!!! Ugh, the whole thing was just a major dissapointment. When the movie ended I was so angry. I remember going, "What!? NO!!!!". I was mad for days.

I know I probably just restated things that many people have already said, but I just had to voice my disgust for the POA movie.


__________________
Jessie K.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
mistakes


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 6:38 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.