Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

Old October 24th, 2006, 10:11 pm
First Year

Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

All of the movies have missed some crucial points, or annoyed me in some small insignificant way, but the one that annoys me the most was definitely SS/PS. It just seemed to be moving way too fast for the story, and it didn't explain things very well.
Second for me would be GoF. Mostly for the reason that it didn't explain things well, either, but also because of all those moments they missed that should have been put in.

Read Nothing Stays the Same by Bogart!
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:13 pm
First Year

That's true...I agree. It did move a bit too fast really. CoS was done fairly well...

(My MWPP Era fanfic)

Remember 9/11-NEVER forget

United We Stand
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:36 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by folly54 View Post
That is why people complain that the characters are cariacatures or one dimensional and unrealistic and does an injustice to the characters created by Jo. I have to agree.
Indeed it sucks greatly. I wonder if it's because the movies are targeted to a younger audience. Do the film makers think young people won't understand complexity? Not that Ron or Hermione are very complex but still they could have played their foil roles with out being one dimensional. But regardless of Ron and Hermione's characters I still think the movies are pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dta
All of the movies have missed some crucial points, or annoyed me in some small insignificant way, but the one that annoys me the most was definitely SS/PS. It just seemed to be moving way too fast for the story, and it didn't explain things very well.
It probably seemed fast because they tried to cram the entire book into one movie so important scenes were rushed and non-important scenes were non-important and rushed. If they cut out the non-important scenes it would have made a shorter and more understandable movie.

Old October 24th, 2006, 11:33 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHufflepuff View Post
so you're saying they should continue ther mistake and make hermione look so much braver in this movie?
I give up. I know better than to waste my time repeating what's already been said. I'm obviously not going to change your mind at all since you'd rather win the arguement than actually listen to another point of view. Everything you said is 100% completely right.

However if you feel the need to consider another person's point of view in the PoA film, you could just search for some of my earlier posts or any other PoA film fan. It'll be easier for me and probably easier for you since there's over years of information and knowledge about it all.

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; October 24th, 2006 at 11:59 pm.
Old October 25th, 2006, 2:03 am
First Year

oh i agree, poa the movie did not live up the book at all, i hate it when they take things out, or add things that do not need to be added and i would'nt say ruin the movie, but it could have been better. and except for parts in the beginning i though gof was well done as well.

Old October 25th, 2006, 2:13 am
First Year

GoF 5|_|><><0rZ
They totally screwed up that movie, especially by cutting out the quiddich world cup!

Old October 25th, 2006, 3:19 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBBQ View Post
GoF 5|_|><><0rZ
Hem hem
4. Please remember to watch your spelling, grammar and abbreviations. Lazy English and Instant Messaging/phone text lingo is not appreciated by anyone...

Old October 25th, 2006, 9:49 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4r6000 View Post
I hated that too.

Because the first director invented a square wheel, which it turns out didn't work very well.
The first movie, in my book, was by far the best one yet. It may not have been a perfect circle, but definitely better than the rectangle knows as Goblet of Fire. In fact, that movie fell so flat with me it's not even a shape...it's just a line.

Could somebody please give Tim Burton a call and beg and plead for him to do one of these?

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy

Last edited by ID824; October 25th, 2006 at 9:57 pm.
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:07 pm
Fifth Year

I think I almost prefer the film CoS, simply for the fact that its so darn similar...and its easier to just watch it than to read it, honetly. I find when I'm reading books 1 and 2, I can enjoy them, but usually I think "Why am I not reading GoF or OoTP or HBP? Those are much better!")

And I also think the kids are cute and I enjoy watching them.

Old October 25th, 2006, 10:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
The first movie, in my book, was by far the best one yet. It may not have been a perfect circle, but definitely better than the rectangle knows as Goblet of Fire. In fact, that movie fell so flat with me it's not even a shape...it's just a line.

Could somebody please give Tim Burton a call and beg and plead for him to do one of these?
I find it funny that you would suggest something like that considering that Burton would probably deviate from the source material even further than any other director we've seen yet. You think GoF was bad...anything Burton do will be about 1,000x worst for book fans.

I'd like to see Burton do one, just for Burton's sake. But I just find it contradictory that a lot of fans (not spefically you) who seem to value accuracy over good filmmaking would think that Burton could possibly do a more accurate job that other directors.

Old October 25th, 2006, 10:44 pm
Fourth Year

Agreed. This is the same guy who turned The Penguin into an actual penguin.

Old October 25th, 2006, 11:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post
I find it funny that you would suggest something like that considering that Burton would probably deviate from the source material even further than any other director we've seen yet. You think GoF was bad...anything Burton do will be about 1,000x worst for book fans.

I'd like to see Burton do one, just for Burton's sake. But I just find it contradictory that a lot of fans (not spefically you) who seem to value accuracy over good filmmaking would think that Burton could possibly do a more accurate job that other directors.
Actually that's not true. His version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was closer to the book than the original (it was a "xerox" actually, as some of ou guys say) and was a pretty cool adaptation in my opinion.

Old October 25th, 2006, 11:14 pm
Fourth Year

He also remade, erm, reimagined Planet of the Apes, which, well...

Then again, Burton has done some amazing stuff too. It's sort of hit and miss with him.

Old October 25th, 2006, 11:19 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4r6000 View Post
Agreed. This is the same guy who turned The Penguin into an actual penguin.
That's just a slight alteration. They just gave him flipper hands to suggest that he was deformed like a Penguin. Not a far cry from the character's traditional state. Plus Batman and his villains are different because they are such mythological characters.

Last edited by psycha; October 25th, 2006 at 11:57 pm.
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:37 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycha View Post
Actually that's not true. His version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was closer to the book than the original (it was a "xerox" actually, as some of ou guys say) and was a pretty cool adaptation in my opinion.
While that is true, I think it's because the source material was more his taste as opposed to adapting something he doesn't like. As discussed in the other adaption comparison thread, Dahl wrote the screenplay for the original with Gene Wilder. Although I was told that movie was somehow based on an already existing musical version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Still you are right. The Burton adaption of Charlie and the Chocolate factory was more accurate however it doesn't exactly show that Burton is capable of directing Harry Potter in the way that accuratianados would want. Now they might like it as a Burton work, but not as a Harry Potter work. IMHO I think Burton would have difficulty working with the material since it does exhibit some characteristics that he can use his strengths as a director to make wonderful. But there is far too few Burton related characteristics that would probably motivate him to producing a good film.

IMHO Burton works well with simple characters and genuine emotion as opposed to some of the very more complex and typical emotion shown by the characters in Harry Potter. That's why I didn't think Corpse Bride was all that great considering how super-simple the characters seemed to be as well with the storyline.

Basically said Burton probably has more in common with Dahl than with Rowling.

Old October 26th, 2006, 12:00 am
Third Year

I love Burton and I'd like to see his take on the books (regardless if they are not 100% accurate) and can you imagine Danny Elfman doing the score? *dies*

Sorry had a fangirl moment there. It’s a little off topic I think though that it brings up a good about the movies. The directors have changed three times within the first four movies and that has had an effect. They all seem like separate entities because each director has had their own vision (or in Columbus’ case no vision at all) and, if viewed with that in mind, are much better films. Separating them from the books helps a lot too. A lot of accuratianados (to use DarwinMayflower's word) know the books and expect them to follow the plots absolutely so when unimportant subplots are left out they feel cheated. They want to see JKR’s vision on screen and not the directors.

Old October 26th, 2006, 12:22 am
Registered Animagus

PoA easily. I didnt like the book too much but the movie just made me hate it even more.

Old October 26th, 2006, 12:34 am
Fifth Year

Unlike most people, I don't really like PoA as much as the other 3 books. I saw the movie again the other day though, and although I could tell how much they changed from the book, and how much was left unexplained, it was still ten times better than GoF. I might change my mind if I watch it again, but I was very disappointed in GoF.

I thought the opening scene was well done, other than the fact that nobody seems to notice a giant poisonous snake is slithering in the middle of Little Hangleton. Frank Bryce was reasonably well explained as a character (they didn't add some unnecessary line where Voldemort remembers him, which I'd expected) and they made the scene seem as creepy as it was in the books. But once again, the directors make the MONUMENTAL MISTAKE OF ASSUMING THAT THE AUDIENCE IS TOO YOUNG TO UNDERSTAND CONTEXT CLUES AND REMEMBER FACTS. There was no need for Barty Crouch Jr to be there. I mean, it creates a fairly big plothole when nobody seems to notice a sadistic Death Eater breaking out of Azkaban all by himself when the previous year, a supposed notorious mass murderer and traitor had done it, and his picture was all over the place. Yes, I understand that they need to make it so that the audience (read: audience who has not read the book) will remember Crouch, but the Pensieve scene is actually a much more effective way of doing this (closer to the end).

Now, I understand why they had Harry wake up from his dream at the Quidditch World Cup, rather than the Dursleys. This is understandable, and it isn't that much of a change. As disappointed as I was to see one of the most hilarious scenes in all the books cut out, I can understand the decision. No biggie, I thought, as long as I get my "Snape, Moody and Filch pajama party" scene.

As well, I was actually pleasantly surprised that they cut out the Quidditch. Saves ten minutes of tedious action not even remotely related to the plot, but provided a suitable introduction to Krum. Now the Dark Mark scene was certainly disappointing. Barty was supposed to be under the Invisibility Cloak, with the house-elf Winky. Where is the outright ludicrous (seemingly) firing of Winky by Mr Crouch? Where is the mystery surrounding who stole Harry's wand? And where, I ask, are the mysterious Stunning spells? I don't recall one of these being shown.

Having Durmstrang and Beauxbatons arrive on September 1st rather than October 1st was acceptable. Only a small change, one that makes no difference. I HATED the way Harry's name was read from the GoF, though.

They did a good job on the Unforgivable Curses lesson, but what happened to the Imperius curse (and subsequent character development)? Harry resisting the Imperius curse is a huge character moment, and one that ultimately saves his life in the graveyard (in the book, that is).

I understand why they changed the First Task. Makes for better entertainment, if a tad dramatized. But the egg scene..ugh. The "pyjama party" scene with the egg, the Marauder's Map, Snape, Crouch and Filch is one of my favorite scenes in all the books. Perhaps they cut this because Peeves is mentioned so many times in the scene? I'm sure they could have found a way around this...

The Yule Ball scenes were just totally awkward, other than Harry and Ron's conversations. I don't like the way Hermione is presented at all...I despised that "Get to bed, both of you" line...what happened to Harry being the leader? I don't understand why Newell focused so much on comic value, especially since PoA was such a dark film.

Pensieve scene was disappointing, I have to say. Decent job of Karkaroff's back story, but they messed up the one opportunity to expand on the character of Barty Crouch Sr. Where is the ruthlessness? Are we just supposed to assume he's a ruthless, unfair prosecutor because of his Hitler moustache?

Graveyard scene is the only saving grace. I thought it was absolutely brilliant, although it didn't do justice to Cedric (although his death was as abrupt and shocking as it was in the book, I have to say.) Great portrayal of Voldemort, although I wonder why they replaced his high, cold voice with a slightly gravelly, ominous one. "The other arm, Wormtail" was as chilling a line as it was in the book. "I WANT TO SEE THE LIGHT LEAVE YOUR EYES" was a very good addition. The only bad thing about this scene was how they cut out the speech to the Death Eaters...one of the best scenes in all the books, and it proves to be a huge plot point later on. Priori Incantanem was done pretty well, although I still can't believe how they completely cut Bertha Jorkins.

The ending though, was absolutely terrible. It was way too abrupt...and the Crouch confession was terribly done. Like Voldemort's speech, it needed waaay more expansion in order to explain the plot. Why Newell cut out the Dementor's Kiss AND Hospital Wing scene, is beyond me. He didn't care to explain at all that the Ministry doesn't believe Voldemort is back, which was completely careless, seeing as it forms the basis of the main plot in OOTP.

If you ask me, the problem with the movies is that the directors don't understand how dark the books are supposed to be...and they don't understand their target audience sometimes. They cut out all of the best Dark scenes, and replace them with contrived comedy, I've seen. I understand how hard it is to satisfy readers AND explain to outsiders at the same time, but really.

Old October 26th, 2006, 12:52 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post

As much as I'd like to see the movies be more reflective of what actually happens in the books, I have come to grips with reality and know that it's not going to happen. And I would much rather give up accuracy for good film making, but that didn't even happen in GoF. The scenes were short and choppy, and there was not much continuity. It was like they shot 100 scenes and some kid at home spliced them together on his computer. The only thing that made them even remotely cohesive was that they followed a chronological timeline.

I didn't like GoF because it wasn't true to the book (that was part of it) but mostly it was because it just didn't tell even its own story very well.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old October 26th, 2006, 12:54 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post

Oh dear!!! TIM BURTON IS MY FAVORITE EVER IN LIFE!!!!!! Now we MUST beg him to do one LOL! I want him to do the 6th, cause that's my favorite book as well...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies