Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Old March 29th, 2009, 6:06 pm
Knower of things

What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Ta-da *twirls* the latest version of the "what annoyed you most about GOF" thread! Previous version can be found here

The Official Staff Monitor for this thread is hermy_weasley2. If you have any questions about the thread or would like to discuss a specific problem please owl them directly. Please be aware that other staff members will also be monitoring this thread. If you are warned by another staff member, as always contact them directly or contact an Admin.

Last couple of posts

mad_druid:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
In fact, I think most of the twins' lines are lame, particularly when said in unison. Cringe-worthy.
Finally someone else who thinks the same way I do about the twins

Quote:
I don't get why Krum was a jock either. I pictured him as tall and kinda lanky... socially awkward and just... weird I guess
Like the book description

NoeliaCroft:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischeifweasel View Post
What annoyed me the most was how they cut like three characters((winky, bagman,the veela)), got rid of spew((sorry, S.P.E.W.))the corny lines, and plot lines, etc. that got messed up in the screenwriting.

but i get that they couldnt make a 10 hour movie, even though i would have willingly sat through one myself.
I completly I agree.

Yarrow:    

I just don't like how in each movie, Hermione grows less and less nerdy and her hair grows less and less bushy. She's bossy, sure, but it's in a more overpowering way instead of a naggy, annoying way, like in the books. She was great in the first two films, but she starts getting all "tomboy-ish" from the third film, and it just doesn't feel right.  

xhanan315:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarrow View Post
I just don't like how in each movie, Hermione grows less and less nerdy and her hair grows less and less bushy. She's bossy, sure, but it's in a more overpowering way instead of a naggy, annoying way, like in the books. She was great in the first two films, but she starts getting all "tomboy-ish" from the third film, and it just doesn't feel right.
You're absolutely right. I don't like Hermione much anymore either. She's actually getting to a point where you can't stand her. I just hope she isn't as bad in the next film.

Furry Dice:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunXia View Post
Amen Brother!!

Ahem, I wanted them to show the complex character that Viktor Krum was, not this man who constantly runs by the lake, what happeed to all those times in the Library?? They just made him like a Jock!
To be fair, he was a Quidditch player. Plus, we did hear about him diving inot the lake approaching the second task in the book, so there is a basis for the athletic behaviour.

I can accept and understand that cuts have to be made -certain plotlines and characters have to go to leave us with the main story, the important parts. Which is why I wasn't bothered by Peeves, SPEW, Dobby, Winky, Bagman, Bill, Charlie etc. While I admit that fans would have liked to see them, they serve no purpose in furthering the story that couldn't have been done otherwise.

It's the change in characterisation that bothers me - Show-off Harry- "shall I open it? who wants me to open it?" to the entire common room, uber-dim Ron, girly Hermione who isn't at all pushy, at least as pushy as she should be. Get the characters right please.

XHANAX315:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post

I can accept and understand that cuts have to be made -certain plotlines and characters have to go to leave us with the main story, the important parts. Which is why I wasn't bothered by Peeves, SPEW, Dobby, Winky, Bagman, Bill, Charlie etc. While I admit that fans would have liked to see them, they serve no purpose in furthering the story that couldn't have been done otherwise.
Very true. Its just when you don't see something that was supposed to happen, and something else does, its kind of hard ignoring since you know what was to take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
It's the change in characterisation that bothers me - Show-off Harry- "shall I open it? who wants me to open it?" to the entire common room, uber-dim Ron, girly Hermione who isn't at all pushy, at least as pushy as she should be. Get the characters right please.
Right. I didn't like the show-off Harry either; and Ron's "uber-dim"ness was the greates either. And Hermione well......

Dandinigirl13:    

Personally, I think GoF is the best film out of all of them so far. There is only one thing in the entire film that made me uncomfortable: shouty Dumbledore.

It just didn't seem right at all Even as i was sat in the cinema watching it it just felt really horrible and wrong. I just don't think Dumbledore would have a huge outburst like that...

Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:58 am
Fourth Year

Re: What annoyed you most about GOF v3

its a tie for me, between Shouty Dumbledore & eastern european weight-lifter mascarading as Krum

Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:08 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

A lot of things annoyed me..but I agree with mactheknife..Dumbledore yelling at Harry really irritated me. So out of character. The worst mistake they could have done. That scene made me miss Richard Harris as Dumbledore more than ever.

Also.." Everything's going to change now, isn't it?" The last scene is just very forced. The trio look so wooden. That scene doesn't work for me one bit.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old April 2nd, 2009, 4:22 pm
Animaga terpsichore

GoF was really good. I'd have to say though that Dumbledore pretty shouting throughout the entire movie got kind of annoying at times. But honestly, other than that, I loved GoF.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old April 2nd, 2009, 5:17 pm
First Year

Dumbledore shouting.
Apart from that, It was good.

Crazy for Luna.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 3:48 am
First Year

I have to agree with the whole "shouting Dumbledore" thing. I'd also like to add that I think there are a few small things they should have fixed. First of all, they should have kept the flames in the GOF itself the traditional green - instead of the blue. Also, Hermione's dress was supposed to be periwinkle, not pink. Other than that, I enjoyed the movie.

Bone of the father, unwillingly given;
Flesh of the servant, willingly sacrificed;
Blood of the enemy, forcibly taken;
The Dark Lord shall rise again!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 4:01 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles View Post
GoF was really good. I'd have to say though that Dumbledore pretty shouting throughout the entire movie got kind of annoying at times. But honestly, other than that, I loved GoF.
Me too.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 3rd, 2009, 4:50 am
Third Year

Dumbledore shouting at Harry. I wish Richard Harris was still here.

Dan's long, girly hair. In some scenes, he had it up properly and it looked fine, but in others... he just needed a cut. I liked it best in Prisoner of Azkaban.

When did Harry suddenly like attention? "You want me to open it?" Really? And Hermione, much more girly, watching Viktor with batty eyes when she wouldn't in the book. Ron looks like he's not useful for anything but getting jealous. Characters out of character.

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes – glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 6:22 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplova15165 View Post
Dan's long, girly hair. In some scenes, he had it up properly and it looked fine, but in others... he just needed a cut. I liked it best in Prisoner of Azkaban
I agree. His haircut didn't really irk me, but I felt it was better in PoA than GoF. It wasn't distracting at least.

Quote:
When did Harry suddenly like attention? "You want me to open it?"
That was another huge mistake. I cringe every time I see that scene. James Potter would do that, not Harry. He had enough attention as it is, with Rita Skeeter splashing his name around in her articles in GoF. He was already tired of it and certainly wouldn't seek attention yelling "You want me to open it?"

And of course, they made Krum a jock. He's almost never in the library. He's exercising instead.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old April 3rd, 2009, 6:32 am
Seventh Year

A few things annoyed me, and I'll also re-name ones that have already been said.

1. Yelling Dumbledore.
2. Harry's long hair
3. Harry wanting attention: "You want me to open it!?"
4. No appearance of Winky.
5. No appearance of the kitchens with Dobby or Winky.
6. No Blast Ended Skrewts, or Unicorns in the Care of Magical Creatures class.
7. No appearance of S.P.E.W.
8. No scene where Hermione's front teeth grow.
9. No scene where Dobby gives Harry the Gillyweed.

I could go on and on and on. But I won't

Old April 3rd, 2009, 8:27 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

How about the first task? Did anyone else prefer it in the books when it was actually about how well Harry could fly and how clever he was, rather than not being able to stay on his broom and only succeeding through luck?

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:20 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
How about the first task? Did anyone else prefer it in the books when it was actually about how well Harry could fly and how clever he was, rather than not being able to stay on his broom and only succeeding through luck?
The first task annoyed me because it went on for too long. It was meant to be thrilling and action based, but I was bored.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:00 pm
Fifth Year

What annoyed me is how they ruined the Crouch Jr surprise about 30 minutes into the movie. That tongue flicking was a good idea that was ruined through overuse. I would have done it differently. We should have seen Crouch from behind only at the QWC, and we should have first seen Crouch's face and tongue-flick in Dumbledore's pensieve. Then as Moody ushers Harry into the maze we should have seen him flick his tongue, just once, as if he's struggling to control his joy at his mission being completed. Newell's way made it far too obvious who Moody was, as soon as Crouch Sr was murdered it was clear, and it just made Dumbledore look even more stupid when there was a twitch like that staring him in the face for a year, even more so after he mentions he's been searching for 'a small detail' to explain everything. I'd be surprised if anyone in the audience didn't know what was coming when Moody's Polyjuice started to wear off.

Quote:
The first task annoyed me because it went on for too long. It was meant to be thrilling and action based, but I was bored.
It only went on for 2 or 3 minutes. I thought it was quite well done, save for the part in the actual arena. The animation of the dragon and the shots of it clambering over the towers were great IMO. Much better than being cramped into that bland little arena. Plus we got to see Dumbledore do a bit of slapstick when Harry flew over him. Gambon's reaction there was priceless.

Last edited by yoshi2542; April 3rd, 2009 at 12:05 pm.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:10 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
I agree. It really is boring and well, for me, accomplishes nothing. I skip the first task every time I watch GoF on DVD.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old April 3rd, 2009, 2:22 pm
First Year

I would have liked to have seen more of the QWC. That was one of my favorite scenes in the book, and although I know they had time constraints, I think they rushed it. It felt perfunctory, like they were trying to move the plot along as rapidly as they could.

Come to think of it, the whole pace of the movie bothered me.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 3:49 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplova15165 View Post
Dan's long, girly hair. In some scenes, he had it up properly and it looked fine, but in others... he just needed a cut. I liked it best in Prisoner of Azkaban.

When did Harry suddenly like attention? "You want me to open it?" Really? And Hermione, much more girly, watching Viktor with batty eyes when she wouldn't in the book. Ron looks like he's not useful for anything but getting jealous. Characters out of character.
Ron, Harry & The Twins hair in the films are border-line ridiculous!!
and the Harry lovin' the attention thing with the egg was completely out of character!
when it comes to the tasks in the movie, IMO the 2nd task is the only one worth watching! the other 2 are awful!
lastly i agree with yoshi2542 that they made a real mess of the whole Crouch/Crouch Jnr plot line!..however i disagree that the tongue thing was a good idea! i think it makes him look stupid! no need for it IMO!...i also would not have cast david Tennant or Trigger for the Crouch roles!

Old April 6th, 2009, 3:42 am
Fifth Year

What used to annoy me most was that it was an appallingly thought out. The whole point is NOT to reveal Mad-Eye as an imposter until the end, how on Earth could they have squandered it like that?

Now though, after seeing OOTP, it's something quite different. I felt that, over the last two movies, it's been moving away from emotional connection and towards spectacle. GoF is charming enough and has lots of good moments, but it so totally underplayed the emotional aspect of Harry's journey that nothing really felt dangerous anymore.

Voldemort's return was particularly underwhelming; I certainly didn't feel that he was the most dangerous wizard of the age.

Old April 6th, 2009, 4:32 pm
Third Year

Er, other than everything

-Angry!Dumbledore
-Attention-seeking!Harry
-Crouch/Moody's tongue flick. I'm sorry, it just bugged me.
-The creepy Karkaroff at the doors to the front hall.
-The twins fighting

I could go on, but why be negative?

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Old April 6th, 2009, 4:43 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
It only went on for 2 or 3 minutes.
It actually lasted 4 minutes and 58 seconds.

Old April 6th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Third Year

I thought the first task was supposed to be really short and I agree with willfitz, they portrayed Harry as a talentless flyer which moves away from the continuity of Harry standing on his broom in an earlier movie.

And Dumbledore.... The first time Harry saw any real reaction out of him was against Voldemort, so his previous two portrayals really ruined that for me in the fifth movie, becoming a grumpy old man.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies