Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Do Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts have a chance to become movies?

Old September 8th, 2009, 6:30 pm
First Year

Re: Do Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts have a chance to become movies

How exactly would it "make a joke" out of the Harry Potter series?

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2009, 7:39 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Do Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts have a chance to become movies

I don't think so. I mean, if there was a Quidditch movie, what would be the plot?

Old September 8th, 2009, 7:48 pm
Second Year

A Quidditch fantasy league would be so great!

I pick Ginny before anyone else gets the chance

And unafraid of toil

http://got-it-want-it.blogspot.com

drool much?
Old September 8th, 2009, 7:56 pm
First Year

It would be a documentary. This has already been discussed.

Old September 8th, 2009, 8:22 pm
Third Year

I had thoughts go thru my head when I read this of those portions of QttA when it goes thru the different types of invented sports that lead up to the invention of Quidditch. Imagine that one Scottish game (quadpot?) where the levitated rocks fall and the players have to catch them with baskets tied to their heads. A documentary showing the little quirky things like this would only have to be 20-30 minutes long and would be an absolute riot! I started laughing just having scenes from the book like this one go thru my head.

I'd be in for seeing a documentary on these... Great idea!
CMills

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old February 6th, 2010, 9:44 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

No.

Beasts is an encyclopedia, so there is no plot what so ever in that.

Quidditch reads more narrative, but still, it is very short and no real 'plot'.

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old February 8th, 2010, 8:34 pm
First Year

I'm not a huge fan of this idea. These books are essentially text books and I don't really have any interest in seeing them portrayed via visual medium. I agree it would be a little neat to see a documentary style show but I think that if this ever happened it would only be hardcore fans who would pay it any mind as they (or should I say we) are really the only ones who have any idea these books exist. Also on a logistical point of view, the books are way too short to be made into any sort of a film.

"Snape Killed Dumbledore"
"Well he was great at Occlumency"

Old February 9th, 2010, 9:05 am
Third Year

NO no...I don't even know how you could make a decent movie out of them. Let's just leave it to the HP-serie. So many people are interested about Harry Potter and the whole serie but who would want to see a movie about Fantastic Beast and Quiddich... Well maybe if they were made as documents...
But I still think it would be quite a bad idea.

Old February 20th, 2010, 3:17 pm
Second Year

They'd probably be a documentary, and only the hardcore fans would watch it. Also, it would be really expensive (all those creatures in Fantastic Beasts).

Old February 20th, 2010, 4:56 pm
Sixth Year

I can't imagine any way of making a real movie out of them.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old February 20th, 2010, 5:19 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_505 View Post
I love the idea of a Quidditch documentary, and Hagrid presents Fantastic Beasts would be awesome. I wonder if WB or JK even would be willing to allow this, maybe for Comic Relief given that both books were originally released for Comic Relief. Maybe 5 or 10 years down the line this will be a possibility, it'd work very well!
I can imagine a 10-15 minute documentary for comic relief or even children in need but not an actual 2hr film. there's no plot for a start and the CGI would cost a lot for something that might not make a lot of money. i think it would be kind of boring, watching documentary on things that don't even exist - it'd be interesting but pointless because only the hardcore fans would enjoy it (not that that's a bad thing, i just think the majority of fans would get bored of it)

Old February 27th, 2010, 6:12 am
Third Year

I do not think they would be satisfactory of they were made into documentaries. They contain too much CGI to be profitable on the scale they would be sold at, so we end up getting extremely second rate CGI, and they should either go for all or nothing in terms of CGI. Maybe one day when CGI is cheaper and if Harry Potter is still popular.

“But that’s – I’m sorry, but that’s completely ridiculous! How can I possibly prove it doesn’t exist? Do you expect me to get hold of – of all the pebbles in the world and test them? I mean, you could claim that anything’s real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody’s proved it doesn’t exist!” [DH 21]
Old February 27th, 2010, 7:58 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I can see a one-off special; something along the lines of the BBC's Walking with Dinosaurs - done in a very tongue-in-cheek manner - but I doubt that it will happen anytime soon and a film is even less feasible, IMO.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old March 1st, 2010, 8:24 pm
Second Year

No, I don't think there's a chance of that happening and I'm actually kind of glad. I just think that past the 7 books being made into movies would just be too much and might end up feeling forced.
As much as I would love for it to go on forever, all good things must come to an end. It's the harsh and sad truth. :/

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

POTTERMORE SORTED
Old March 1st, 2010, 8:54 pm
Zonko's Employee

These should have been made into documentaries in-between PS/SS and COS or COS and POA or POA and GOF. Now the HP story and world is too dark to have these documentaries air in-between the films.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old March 1st, 2010, 9:15 pm
Third Year

Are those two books published right now or would Jo have to write them cuz i only heard of those in the movies and not about her publishing them. Im just making sure

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old March 1st, 2010, 9:25 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjets4004 View Post
Are those two books published right now or would Jo have to write them cuz i only heard of those in the movies and not about her publishing them. Im just making sure
Both were published as a charity project a couple of years ago. Quite small books, but still a very nice read I think.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:51 am
Third Year

OH MY GOD why dont i ahve the books then i have to get them!

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old March 22nd, 2010, 5:29 am
First Year

I don't see that happening at this point. They may have considered it back when HP was at its peak, but with the books all done and the movies winding down it doesn't seem likely that WB would bother producing a TV special that'll be beaten in ratings by American Idol or something.

Old July 9th, 2011, 1:02 am
Third Year

I know the thread is rather old but I've been digging my way through the dustiest corner of the library lately--gotta go somewhere!

Anyway, as many have said before, I think that these books could easily be made into short documentaries. For the Magical Beasts book, I could see a film with either Hagrid or someone else doing a wildlife show spoof and sneaking up on the various beasts while commentating in whispers. It would work really well as a comedy.

Quidditch Through The Ages could be made into a small storyline clip, something similar to what is already playing in IMAX theaters (Quidditch in 3D!). My guess is that J.K.R. would have some percentage of any proceeds going to charity.

Who knows, if people are desperate enough in a couple of years for more Potter, the above might become reality.

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies