Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Movie mistakes

Old December 20th, 2007, 7:55 am
Third Year

Re: Movie mistakes

I just watched GoF again - during the first task with the dragon, Hermione yells "Harry, your wand!" Wouldn't it have made more sense if she yelled 'your broom', since that's what he needed to get past the dragon?

FGM

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2007, 5:22 pm
Gwen's Auntie

I think it's in the first two movies, but Emma mouths lines along with other people in both movies. It's not very subtle either.

I can't remember which movie, but there's one shot where the trio is going into the gryffindor common room, and the door closes behind them...you can clearly see someone's feet at the bottom of the portrait door, closing it.

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old December 20th, 2007, 5:23 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post
I just watched GoF again - during the first task with the dragon, Hermione yells "Harry, your wand!" Wouldn't it have made more sense if she yelled 'your broom', since that's what he needed to get past the dragon?

FGM
For the illusion of suspense, they couldn't have said that because by this time the audience doesn't know what Harry is going to summon. When he summons the broom, that is supposed to be the "a ha" moment.

Old December 20th, 2007, 5:43 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack View Post
I think it's in the first two movies, but Emma mouths lines along with other people in both movies. It's not very subtle either.
Yes! That irritates me so much! She also does it in PoA in the Shrieking Shack. I don't understand why she feels the need to mouth other people's lines. And surely the directors should have picked up on it and told her to stop...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack View Post
I can't remember which movie, but there's one shot where the trio is going into the gryffindor common room, and the door closes behind them...you can clearly see someone's feet at the bottom of the portrait door, closing it.
Oooh, I haven't ever noticed that. This reminds me of the one often spoken about on MuggleCast - in the Room of Requirement you can see a camera man in focus, in the reflection from the mirrors. I would have thought they'd notice it and edit it out. They didn't even edit it for the DVD.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old December 21st, 2007, 3:25 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
Oooh, I haven't ever noticed that. This reminds me of the one often spoken about on MuggleCast - in the Room of Requirement you can see a camera man in focus, in the reflection from the mirrors. I would have thought they'd notice it and edit it out. They didn't even edit it for the DVD.
I do not understand that. How come they do not cut that part out? I have never noticed hermione mouthing lines, but that part has to be cut out....

I have never noticed harry's scar disappearing or moving, the only time I paid attention was in POA the boggart scene, but that was filmed from a mirror, so the scar would be on the other side.

I do not know if this is a mistake or not... but in PS, when Hagrid tells Harry how Voldemort killed his parents, there is a scene where Lily is holding Harry in her arms, and I could clearly see a lamp hanging from the ceiling... I thought wizards did not use electricity. The house looked too muggle!!! well, maybe the Potters were just modern wizards.....

Old December 21st, 2007, 5:28 pm
Third Year

In CoS, when Harry and Ron were expelled from the Ford Anglia, their trunks, Scabbers' and Hedwig's cages and a bunch of packages were thrown out as well. When Harry and Ron come inside, they have only their trunks and animal cages, no packages.

FGM

Old December 24th, 2007, 7:40 am
Curse Breaker

In OotP, during the film version of Snape's worst memory, James says "impedimenta" to hoist Snape in the air instead of "levicorpus".

....I miss David Tennant....
Old December 24th, 2007, 8:46 am
First Year

In GoF, they say Barty Crouch Jr tortured the Longbottoms, but in OotP they say it was Bellatrix Lestrange.

Of course, we know from the books they were in on it together, but somebody watching both films would not.

This is a legitimate charity, and everything goes to help the poor children of Haiti who have been ignored by the rest of the world. If you can afford to own a computer, you can afford to help these children. Most of these kids will never have lives as good as you, but you can at least help to make sure they don't die needlessly, that they receive education and that one day THEIR children can have lives as good as yours.

One person CAN make a difference!
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:38 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 8th Weasley View Post
In GoF, they say Barty Crouch Jr tortured the Longbottoms, but in OotP they say it was Bellatrix Lestrange.

Of course, we know from the books they were in on it together, but somebody watching both films would not.
Why? Both were Death Eaters, both are said to have tortured the Longbottoms. Is it really a stretch to assume they were both complicit?

Old December 24th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
Why? Both were Death Eaters, both are said to have tortured the Longbottoms. Is it really a stretch to assume they were both complicit?

well it's nto very well explaimed, is it, and often the audeicne don't care enough - jsut think it;s stupid

Old December 24th, 2007, 1:08 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHufflepuff View Post
well it's nto very well explaimed, is it, and often the audeicne don't care enough - jsut think it;s stupid
I agree. The explanation of what exactly went on was poor. It can seem (and this has been the case for some of my friends) to some movie-goers that in GoF one person tortured Neville's parents and then in OotP it was another. It can get confusing. Only people who have read the books will understand.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old December 24th, 2007, 2:34 pm
Third Year

In Ootp, DA meetings. They learn levicorpus, Harry doesn't know this spell yet and it is non-verbal??

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Old December 24th, 2007, 6:32 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard_master View Post
noticing that in gof and ootf that sirrius appearing in the gryfindor fire place was very different
the goblit of fire - his face was the coal
the order of the pheonix - his face was the flame
My theory on this is that the fire was almost out in GoF, but in OotP there is a roaring flame going. Maybe this would have some effect on Sirius' image.

This is a legitimate charity, and everything goes to help the poor children of Haiti who have been ignored by the rest of the world. If you can afford to own a computer, you can afford to help these children. Most of these kids will never have lives as good as you, but you can at least help to make sure they don't die needlessly, that they receive education and that one day THEIR children can have lives as good as yours.

Old December 24th, 2007, 7:20 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsnape17 View Post
In Ootp, DA meetings. They learn levicorpus, Harry doesn't know this spell yet and it is non-verbal??
Yeah, that irked me. Levicorpus is a Prince spell, and it is nonverbal. Harry doesn't know the spell yet, let alone anything about nonverbal spells, seeing as those don't come until sixth year.

They have it in the video game too (I think?). It was in the commercial at least, and it's verbal on that as well.

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.
Old December 24th, 2007, 7:47 pm
Seventh Year

See, here's the thing about Levicorpus: the fact that the OotP movie used it isn't a mistake, just a change from the book. The fact that it's used verbally could be considered as either; however, here's a line from the "Gringotts" chapter of 'Deathly Hallows':

She raised her wand, pointed it at Harry, and whispered, "Levicorpus".

So the mistake is actually Rowling's.

Old December 25th, 2007, 10:56 pm
First Year

My understanding was that any spell could be done verbally or nonverbally, depending on your skill level

Old December 26th, 2007, 2:55 am
Hogwarts Graduate

In the Prince's book, the spell is specifically labelled "nvbl" for non-verbal.

Old December 26th, 2007, 3:28 am
First Year

Maybe Snape just mean it was best to use it non-verbal that way the person didn't know what was coming.

Old December 26th, 2007, 6:46 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 8th Weasley View Post
Maybe Snape just mean it was best to use it non-verbal that way the person didn't know what was coming.
I suspect you're right. In HBP, Snape asks the DADA class what the advantage is of non-verbal spells; Hermione answers "Your adversary has no warning about what kind of magic you're about to perform which gives you a split-second advantage." Which Snape acknowledges is the right answer, then goes on to say that not everyone can do non-verbal magic, that it takes concentration and mind power. Snape seems to be saying that any spell can be non-verbal if the person is skilled enough....so we can assume "levicorpus" would work as a verbal spell also.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old January 1st, 2008, 9:21 pm
Defender of Dogs

Yay, brand new OotP mistake I just caught on DVD: When Harry and the others are sitting at the Gryffindor table talking in the Great Hall, there's this blonde kid with long hair sitting next to Ron. A couple minutes later, at the scene when Trelawney is sacked, the same kid is standing next to them again, but this time he has brown and yellow Hufflepuff robes. I know they only have so many extras to use, but still, can they at least try for some consistency? Maybe he was just sitting at the wrong table, though...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies