Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Old August 6th, 2007, 6:03 am
Second Year

Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Hmm, I like the Yule Ball scene..very beautiful surroundings and I thought Hermione's dress being pink was nice it made more sense because of the background so she can atleast stand out. The acting was I think typical teenage stuff so it fit..maybe a little dramatic, but still it fit. As for the Wyrd Sisters, I thought it was good music especially the Magic Works song.

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 5:30 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Previous Chapter Post
GoF Chp 1: The Riddle House
GoF Chp 2: The Port Key
GoF Chp 3: The Quidditch World Cup
GoF Chp 4: The Dark Mark
GoF Chp 5: The Tri-Wizard Tournament
GoF Chp 6: The Goblet of Fire
GoF Chp 7: The Unforgivable Curses
GoF Chp 8: The Four Champions
GoF Chp 9: Let Events Unfold
GoF Chp 10: Rita Skeeter

GoF Chp 11: Sirius Conversation
GoF Chp 12: The Hungarian Horntail
GoF Chp 13: Transforming Malfoy
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 1)
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 2)
GoF Chp 15: Best Foot Forward
GoF Chp 16: An Unexpected Challenge
GoF Chp 17: The Yule Ball

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 18: The Egg's Clue

From the beginning we get have Harry get a flashback to his dream again. Why it's needed, it's beyond me, in fact it's these sort of things that really sort of bring the movie down as an actual movie and more of an attempt at something...movie-like. What I mean by that is why even bother showing the Riddle Grave having snow (since it's....DUM DUM DUM...WINTER!) when all you are going to do is just repeat the same dream sequence that happened before the beginning of the school year? I mean yeah, it's great that there was some attempt to foreshadow Voldemort's plans for Harry or his motivation to kill him since parallells are being drawn between Harry's planned death with Frank's. However why even bother showing the progression of time in one place only to not show it later in the same scene?

You could argue that "Hey they did show it by showing Voldemort's advancing his plans to anticipate Harry arriving," but that's more symbolic than a linear time progression. It was an attempt to make something meaningful but instead it just looked pretty lame. A good note is that Harry's eyes flashed green for a moment after he woke up from the AK attack.

So we have a shot of the bridge, which is kind of an eye-opener for me because after seeing OoTP; I always consider that film to have a lot of homages/references to previous HP films. In this case you get to see a simliar opening shot of the bridge when Lupin had his talk with Harry all the way back in PoA Chp 12: Talent for Trouble (FYI, Yes my livejournal is updated a bit to include previous chapter posts). I guess in this case they are going to draw parallells with Hermione being the mentor-like Lupin.

GoF on the top, PoA on the bottom

I'm beginning to wonder why I like this movie to begin with. Watson manages to mangle another moment (I likes my alliteration). Aside it from being a semi-sweet H/Hr moment which obviously might lead many people to ship that movie-wise. Watson just destroys this scene for me. It's laughable really but for some reason when she plays relaxed Hermione she's far better than worry. Really I think she has to take acting lessons from Grint on how to do a proper worry face. As much as I do hate how she just eyePLOWs* through this scene. I do like how she acts in the happier times. Radcliffe...does moderately alright. Someone really should remind him that acting poorly does not equate emoting nervousness and tension. And fix that smile, you're grimacing again.

Cedric, awesome yet again but I do have to say that the shot on the bridge with Harry is just composed PERFECTLY. I love this shot. It's just so well balanced a much needed change from the dialogue bombs being blitzkrieged** in this scene.

The actual design of the prefect's bathroom is not what I imagined. In fact it's totally off. I imagined it to be a bit less grandiose or non-functional with taps all around the border of the pool, and not just some huge fountain at the end. It's almost like a return to Columbus' films where they seem very nice but also very plain. I never thought much of it but until the stain merwoman glass window actually moved, I began to think this place more akin to a church than a bathroom. The fountain of different taps just kinda of emphasized the monolithic structures and statues of some churches IMHO.

I don't know what to say about Henderson's bit part in this sequence. Once again apparently ghost physics are uninspired but it's nice to see some bit of consistency of her character is retained from CoS. I really do miss her matter of fact way of talking to Harry about her ventures through the plumbing and far too much sexual innuendo for my taste, not because it's supposed to be a more kid friendly product, but it's just stupid really. Despite the childish and even immature jokes, she did play her part to a tee. I do like the fact that they are so audacious for doing something like that, I love just utter complete nuttery like that.

I should mention one thing. I was always under the assumption that the Golden Egg was far smaller. I mean about the size of a big fist, not the size of Harry's head. I guess it had to represent the size of a dragon's egg, but the goF American Cover has always sort of influenced how I saw the egg as just something that fit right into the palm of Harry's hand.

So we come to the library of which I feel was nearly the most complete waste of a library scene ever in the entire series. I mean it's more ambitious than what Columbus attempted, but even Columbus had some direction with it. Even with his way of shooting, it still looked decent enough. Cuaron would have made it look as dynamic as possible while still maintaining a focus on the trio yet making the background as active as the Trio, but Newall just messes it up IMHO. It's like he's trying to pull a Cuaron but it's composed so poorly, you don't fight to see what's going on with either the Trio or background, you fight have any sort of concentration within the scene. It's like there's an missing X-factor from this scene that would have made it great cinematically but once again (like the previously mentioned dream sequence) it fails and looks like an amateur mess. Why isn't it a complete waste? Because out of all the library scenes I feel the design for the books is the most varied. It's nice to just stare at it when you get a chance here and there, but otherwise between Radcliffe's robotic replies*** and Watson's acting coupled with exposition; you could write this entire scene off. Gleeson's invovlement was completely toned down which I like because by comparison to the Trio, he's a breath of fresh air.

I do have to say that Ron get's no lines in this chapter. No lines. Oh wait he does...it's ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

*Copyright: DarwinMayflower.
**Once again I love my alliteration.
***Holy I did it again, sorry.

Things of Note

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; August 9th, 2007 at 7:36 pm.
Old August 9th, 2007, 4:44 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post
From the beginning we get have Harry get a flashback to his dream again. Why it's needed, it's beyond me, in fact it's these sort of things that really sort of bring the movie down as an actual movie and more of an attempt at something...movie-like. What I mean by that is why even bother showing the Riddle Grave having snow (since it's....DUM DUM DUM...WINTER!) when all you are going to do is just repeat the same dream sequence that happened before the beginning of the school year? I mean yeah, it's great that there was some attempt to foreshadow Voldemort's plans for Harry or his motivation to kill him since parallells are being drawn between Harry's planned death with Frank's. However why even bother showing the progression of time in one place only to not show it later in the same scene?

You could argue that "Hey they did show it by showing Voldemort's advancing his plans to anticipate Harry arriving," but that's more symbolic than a linear time progression. It was an attempt to make something meaningful but instead it just looked pretty lame. A good note is that Harry's eyes flashed green for a moment after he woke up from the AK attack.
I sort of agree with you. I understand why the filmmakers wanted to include a dream sequence here, but I don't understand why they chose to repeat the first dream. They needed to remind the movie audience about the imminent threat of Voldemort and his plan. However, they should have used a different dream instead of rehashing the first. They could have included the one where Harry flies on the owl (is it an owl? I forget) to at least spice it up a little.

I do have to say that I loved Neville's entrance into the dorm. It was very sweet.
Quote:
So we have a shot of the bridge, which is kind of an eye-opener for me because after seeing OoTP; I always consider that film to have a lot of homages/references to previous HP films. In this case you get to see a simliar opening shot of the bridge when Lupin had his talk with Harry all the way back in PoA Chp 12: Talent for Trouble (FYI, Yes my livejournal is updated a bit to include previous chapter posts). I guess in this case they are going to draw parallells with Hermione being the caring person like Lupin.

I'm beginning to wonder why I like this movie to begin with. Watson manages to mangle another moment (I likes my alliteration). Aside it from being a semi-sweet H/Hr moment which obviously might lead many people to ship that movie-wise. Watson just destroys this scene for me. It's laughable really but for some reason when she plays relaxed Hermione she's far better than worry. Really I think she has to take acting lessons from Grint on how to do a proper worry face. As much as I do hate how she just eyePLOWs* through this scene. I do like how she acts in the happier times. Radcliffe...does moderately alright. Someone really should remind him that acting poorly does not equate emoting nervousness and tension. And fix that smile, you're grimacing again.
For me this scene really just reminds me why I don't like this movie. Bad characterization, poor writing, poor directing, and really bad acting. Let's start with the characterization (which ties into the writing). The first few lines are okay. Hermione badgering Harry about the egg is very in character, then it starts to go down hill. "He's not particularly loquacious". Does any 15-year-old girl talk like that? Even Hermione, who speaks more properly than the boys, still talks talks like a normal person (except when she's quoting textbooks). Then we have a huge switch of tone from teasing immediately to mothering. Now Hermione does mother Harry in the books, but she mostly tells him what to do or tells him off. She does worry a lot, but "I'm scared for you" is just a horrible line. It seems too personal for Hermione; she rarely talks about her feelings, especially to Harry. Her feelings are shown much more in her expressions and actions than in her dialog. I would have preferred a worried look and her giving him advice, telling him to go to the library, offering useful suggestions, etc. And the "almost cruel" line just makes me want to hit Kloves (though I often want to hit him ).

All of these bad lines are just made worse by Emma's horrible delivery and Dan's reactions. Emma over-emotes and Dan is wooden. It's like the two opposite sides of bad acting, and we are fortunate enough to witness both in one scene.

The direction is plain and uninspired. Mike Newell also should have told Emma to tone it down. Her acting in GOF is a huge step back from COS and POA, and Newell did nothing to stop her from falling. She was better in OOTP; she still had a few cringe-worthy scenes, but she had a couple of decent deliveries, and the rest was just bearable. I'm hoping her better scenes in OOTP were towards the end of shooting, and that David Yates will continue to push her for a better performance. If not, then I am already dreading the bird-attack scene and any scene where she gets angry at Harry about the potions book. At least Hermione is not worrisome in HBP. Emma seems to be at her worst when she has serious dialog or when she's supposed to be angry.
Quote:
The actual design of the prefect's bathroom is not what I imagined. In fact it's totally off. I imagined it to be a bit less grandiose or non-functional with taps all around the border of the pool, and not just some huge fountain at the end. It's almost like a return to Columbus' films where they seem very nice but also very plain. I never thought much of it but until the stain merwoman glass window actually moved, I began to think this place more akin to a church than a bathroom. The fountain of different taps just kinda of emphasized the monolithic structures and statues of some churches IMHO.
It's funny because the Prefect's bathroom looked very close to how I imagined it. I was happy with this set design. I liked the water spouts in particular.
Quote:
I don't know what to say about Henderson's bit part in this sequence. Once again apparently ghost physics are uninspired but it's nice to see some bit of consistency of her character is retained from CoS. I really do miss her matter of fact way of talking to Harry about her ventures through the plumbing and far too much sexual innuendo for my taste, not because it's supposed to be a more kid friendly product, but it's just stupid really. Despite the childish and even immature jokes, she did play her part to a tee. I do like the fact that they are so audacious for doing something like that, I love just utter complete nuttery like that.

I should mention one thing. I was always under the assumption that the Golden Egg was far smaller. I mean about the size of a big fist, not the size of Harry's head. I guess it had to represent the size of a dragon's egg, but the goF American Cover has always sort of influenced how I saw the egg as just something that fit right into the palm of Harry's hand.
This scene is alright. The time right before the second task is always my least favorite part to read in the book. I don't think that the sexual innuendo is too much. The only thing that kind of makes it creepy is that Henderson is like 40-years-old. There was also some innuendo in the book, not as much, but it's there. I pictured the egg to be that size. It is a dragon's egg, and we did see the size of Norbert's egg in SS/PS.
Quote:
So we come to the library of which I feel was nearly the most complete waste of a library scene ever in the entire series. I mean it's more ambitious than what Columbus attempted, but even Columbus had some direction with it. Even with his way of shooting, it still looked decent enough. Cuaron would have made it look as dynamic as possible while still maintaining a focus on the trio yet making the background as active as the Trio, but Newall just messes it up IMHO. It's like he's trying to pull a Cuaron but it's composed so poorly, you don't fight to see what's going on with either the Trio or background, you fight have any sort of concentration within the scene. It's like there's an missing X-factor from this scene that would have made it great cinematically but once again (like the previously mentioned dream sequence) it fails and looks like an amateur mess. Why isn't it a complete waste? Because out of all the library scenes I feel the design for the books is the most varied. It's nice to just stare at it when you get a chance here and there, but otherwise between Radcliffe's robotic replies*** and Watson's acting coupled with exposition; you could write this entire scene off. Gleeson's invovlement was completely toned down which I like because by comparison to the Trio, he's a breath of fresh air.
I agree with you about everything in the scene. It's essentially pointless. If they were going to include a library scene at least have them doing something other then Hermione saying the mermaid song again. I prefer the look of the library here than in the other movies. However, as you mentioned, they do nothing to make use of the set.
Quote:
I do have to say that Ron get's no lines in this chapter. No lines. Oh wait he does...it's ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
I feel this scene could have benefited from Rupert having lines. Dan and Emma don't play well off each other (while acting). They both act better with Rupert. Had they been talking (all three) while perusing books it would have given more energy to the scene and added something to the non-character that is movie!Ron (OOTP aside, as he was a real character in that film, though underused).

"Of course it is happening inside your head Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real."
~Dumbledore, Deathly Hallows, Chapter 35, King's Cross

Last edited by bumblybee; August 9th, 2007 at 4:50 pm.
Old August 9th, 2007, 6:07 pm
Second Year

I am actually quite happy with GoF. I find the movie much better then PoA. I do agree about Emma's acting in this one, though. It's horrible. Something happened to her in this movie, because she is much better in every other HP-movie, both before and after this one.

I do think Dan is great here, though. He's getting grumpier, almost at the OotP-level. His suspicous "And what is that supposed to mean?" is almost too grumpy. And I really like his grin after Hermione's "he's more of a physical person".

I have no trouble with the dream either. Harry did have several dreams in GoF, so this is just following canon. More or less, at least. You are right, though, about the egg. In the book, Harry holds the egg in one hand - this egg seems too big for that.

My biggest problem with all of these scenes are the erotic undertones from Moaning Myrtle. I would say that Harry - not to mention Dan! - is too young for that. Especially when you know that the woman playing M.M. is over 30-years old.

Old August 9th, 2007, 7:37 pm
Banned

Throughout the day I'll be updating a few posts here and there. The current chapter discussion I added some pictures.

Old August 9th, 2007, 8:16 pm
Banned

Excuse me, but I've been attempting to follow your links to previous chapter discussions, only to come up empty handed. Could you tell me what's wrong?

Old August 9th, 2007, 9:35 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blofeld View Post
Excuse me, but I've been attempting to follow your links to previous chapter discussions, only to come up empty handed. Could you tell me what's wrong?
I have yet to add some of the chapter discussions onto my livejournal because the previous thread has been deleted.

The livejournal with some (not all) of the chapter posts are at http://www.mcpotterdore.livejournal.com. It'll take a while since I'm in the process of moving and therefore some of my chapter archives are on the other computer.

Old August 10th, 2007, 1:31 am
Banned

I'm not getting anything when I click the link.

Old August 11th, 2007, 5:15 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts

Previous Chapter Post

GoF Chp 18: The Egg's Clue

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 19: The Second Task (Part 1)

As we move along to the second task, we once again get to see the high production values put into this film. Once again Newall's strength is emphasized in his scenic shots and makes the bottom of the Black Lake look far more dangerous than potentially tourist friendly. I do like Radcliffe's bit of tense acting, although there were some lines that were pretty poor. Mainly his response to Neville's question of whether he was nervous. It is pretty cool that we do get to see a side of Neville on his knowledge of herbology, but his I killed Harry Potter line wasn't all that funny IMHO.

While the shot of the stands in the lake is beautiful and kinda of continues the theme of magicking seating for the audience, it does make me wonder if it's exactly the best thing to use. Once again it reminds me of the steel statdium of the QWC, while impressive, is really a showing more muggle influence than hinted at in the novels. I guess steampunk is in with this HP film. The only bit of comedy I did like was how Moody kept on nudging Harry into the water although there is a bit of a movie-goof where we see him nudge him in one shot, then he nudges him again in the next shot.

The SFX of Harry changing, it's alright, nothing spectacular especially in comparison to the Black Lake. I basically love all the 3 tasks for their use of wide scenic shots because once again I'd like to emphasize how Newall seems to make the scenary look hard, cold and unforgiving. It's not a place that you'd like to get lost in or even fall lest you want to die. The size of the lake is emphasized by Harry being merely a tadpole of a speck on the screen while the the cliff into the deep just dwarfs him. The forest of seaweed, actually does a good of being much like a forest (complete with oh so scary ninja Grindelows passbys) but still maintaining their own uniqueness of the lake.

The actual merpeople city, although nothing like I imagined, I do like it. I've always wondered what a village on the bottom of the sea would look like, but this IMHO is a bit better since it is a real sort of fantasy feeling to it. It resembles an ancient ruin of a race that wasn't as abundent as before and sort of reflects how magical society itself sort of faces extinction itself compared to the growth of the muggle world. Although it does look far more inhabitable even by merpeople standards, it does look like something more for beasts than a civilization which I guess is acceptable.

The mer-people....well they don't impress like dragons do so I'll leave it at that. I have a personal bias but perhaps someone else doesn't. Other than that I'll leave part 1 just before Harry reaches the abducted and continue part 2 from there. Also just to fix my little problem pointed out by Blofeld, Here is the link to the previous chapters. Not complete yet, but would be maybe by the end of the month when I'm finished with my move.

Things of Note

Old August 14th, 2007, 7:20 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts

Previous Chapter Post

GoF Chp 18: The Egg's Clue
GoF Chp 19: The Second Task (Part 1)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 19: The Second Task (Part 2)

A lot of good things in the second half of the second task but for me it really sort of felt...well not all that well together. I love certain things like how Krum and Cedric just shows up Harry at rescuing those who were taken from them. Cedric just shows how great Hufflepuffs could be and being a great human being with the simple gesture of telling Potter to hurry up. I've never really seen Cedric as a capable person, even in the GoF book because it's always been about Harry. But seeing him in the movie and with recent knowledge of the studies post-4th year, it really makes sense that Cedric is Hogwarts Champion for a reason; he's a good wizard.

The dolls used for the captors looked bad but it worked so well in making them look dead or near death. I do have to say the Cho Chang one looked the fakest of them all. We are introduced to other things which I missed before, such as Fake!Moody pacing around keeping an eye on Potter as instructed by Dumbledore (something that we've all forgotten by now) and keeping an eye on him as intructed by Voldemort.

However there are plenty of things wrong with this scene. Wasteful sequences like telling Crouch to go downstairs with him which IMHO just makes you think why would you need a scene to show someone going down the stairs let alone announce it? Secondly, not really a canon matter but more of a consistency matter; we have Dumbledore who is seemingly acting like a judge along with Crouch Sr. However isn't it just a bit unfair in general to have Dumbledore as a judge when it's clear that the other headmaster and headmistress are not? Kakaroff's expression was cleary of surprise at the decision whereas Dumbledore, once again being super combined with Ludo Bagman announces the results.

Other thing is even though I love the grindelow attack, which was just exciting; what's with Harry's sudden spurt out of the water (which mind you does a great sort of echo of his flipper flip earlier) via magic? Once again it's not a canon thing, but it just seemed more of a plot device to make Harry look more skilled than he really is. There's nothing wrong with that as seen with the First task, but like Hermione said Harry barely got past the first task. Excuse the pun, but Harry shouldn't be shown nearly blowing the competition out of the water.

It certainly ends better than the First Task but once again there are certain elements that kind of make this portion plod along not because of filler but with just poorly conceived scenes.

Things of Note
  • Music used in the scene: Track 15: The Black Lake.
    Music Cue list greatly supplied by The Harry Potter Lexicon

• Draco is seen hitting the kid beside him (mebbe a 1st year) 2 times. Nice to see him up to his evil ways again.

• The Grindelow attack and the following counterattack by Harry really reminds me of how Hermione stopped the pixies in CoS. It certainly had that very same feeling with multiple CGI bodies flying through the air.

• Cedric uses a spell without even speaking It's great in the idea that HBP introduced non-verbal spells in the first place (or at least the ability to learn them). HBP kind of put the film into perspective that you have to be pretty skilled to pull off a non-verbal spell with the same power of a verbally shot one.

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; August 14th, 2007 at 7:47 am.
Old August 14th, 2007, 2:48 pm
Second Year

I haven't got too much to say on this scene. To be honest, I think it's the least interesting one to me. Not because there's anything wrong with it, it's just not my favourite scene - not in the book and not in the movie.

Overall, it's a good scene. I didn't find the "I killed Harry Potter"-comment funny either. And I wasn't too fond of Harry's dolphin jump. A bit too uncanon for my taste.

I found the captors extremley creepy, though. They look dead, and I can't help thinking how kids were going to react to this. I would have found it horrible when I was younger.

Old August 14th, 2007, 5:38 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93 View Post
I found the captors extremley creepy, though. They look dead, and I can't help thinking how kids were going to react to this. I would have found it horrible when I was younger.
ohh me too!! I got scared lol, i guess that was the best thing in this chapter

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 16th, 2007, 4:08 am
Banned

Just to inform people that I'm moving on Friday, so this thread will be dead for about a week or so, or until I get settled into my new place.

Old August 16th, 2007, 3:46 pm
Fourth Year

This is my least favourite part of the movie. It's boring, poorly shot and it kills the pace of the movie (well everything from the latter part of the Yule Ball to finding Crouch dead). If you think about it, this task is not even really needed. It's only there because it needed to be 3 tasks, and it's in the book.

Also, I thought the underwater effects were questionable.

Old August 16th, 2007, 7:36 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
This is my least favourite part of the movie. It's boring, poorly shot and it kills the pace of the movie (well everything from the latter part of the Yule Ball to finding Crouch dead). If you think about it, this task is not even really needed. It's only there because it needed to be 3 tasks, and it's in the book.

Also, I thought the underwater effects were questionable.
I agree. This whole stretch of the film feels crude, from art direction, to acting, the music, it's all so drab and boring. They should have changed this task or cut it all together, because all it does is reinforce that Harry is brave and tends to act the hero, and that Moody wants him to win. It's this sort of loyalty to the book, seemingly because no-one could be bothered/was willing to risk changing the narrative in any drastic way, that stops the films becoming truly great (POA excepted). Alfonso's streamlined approach is sorely needed for this film.

Last edited by yoshi2542; August 16th, 2007 at 7:40 pm.
Old August 19th, 2007, 5:34 am
Banned

Boy - away for 10 days and the thread flies.

Yule Ball
  • pink dress pretty
  • Watson OK
  • Watson best when she is crying at the end
  • grint perfect
  • liked the prom scene very much - real teenagers!
  • dancing too short

Dream in Winter
  • pointless except for bird at window

Scene on Bridge with Watson - pointless - and Radcliffe photoed weird with flat elongated face
Scene on Bridge with Cedric - priceless

Bathroom
  • taps - weird, pool size - weird
  • moaning myrtle - to tigrish for a 13 year old girl
  • egg size - irrelevant - was pretty and I liked the song very much
  • moving stained glass window - lovely

Library
  • moving books - yuck
  • hermione's pants - HOT!!!
  • watson's acting - bleh!! I'm glad she's taken on another project to grow a little with.
  • could have been a good scene for acting, but just everyone is off.
  • neville good again

I liked that they changed it to be Neville providing the clue to Harry (not Dobby). Much more direct and appropriate. (These are the kind of things I hope happen in 6 & 7)

Task 2
  • all the shots getting on and off dock - lack of feeling of continuity
  • underuse of Ginny & Twins
  • scenes with Neville - great
  • big stands in water - pointless since champions all on one
  • underwater OK - started to be creepy
  • the dummies of the sleeping ron hermione & cho were just AWFUL !!!!!!
  • Cedric / Pattison spot on
  • coming out of the water and transforming back ok (I think Watson hated Krum though !)
  • End re judges just hurried and awful -and who gave Karkaroff such teeth - he was sleek in book!
  • Fleur effect - and her character - nicely done - she's also very good - she and pattison avoid all the excesses of... watson again

Last edited by lindaluna; August 19th, 2007 at 5:42 am.
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:44 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Wasteful sequences like telling Crouch to go downstairs with him which IMHO just makes you think why would you need a scene to show someone going down the stairs let alone announce it?

That was what I thought the very first time I watched GoF in the theather.
What's really the point of this scene?!

Old August 19th, 2007, 7:41 pm
Second Year

I though it was an OK scene..I didn't like the whole Dumbledore/Crouch part either there was just no need for that really. It was interesting though to see the under water world, was creepy especially with the background music sounding kind of haunting; the whole dummies part was to obvious of looking fake not a good job there.

I did like the Grindylows part though.

Old August 21st, 2007, 5:09 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
If you think about it, this task is not even really needed. It's only there because it needed to be 3 tasks, and it's in the book.
I really thought these three tasks would be a set up / dry run for the final DH but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinmayflower
GoF on the top, PoA on the bottom (re bridge)
I love that bridge!!! If you look closely, it's the same bridge but the tree line under the diamond shaped arch has changed between the two shots.

Last edited by lindaluna; August 21st, 2007 at 5:14 am.
Old August 21st, 2007, 8:26 pm
Second Year

I really like how the 2nd task was done and the grindylows/mermaids were well done/pretty creepy This scene followed the book pretty well but didn't the giant squid make an appearance? I've always wanted to see it in the films but so far... no squid I thought Hermione pulled off a good French accent and Ron's expression after Fleur kisses him is priceless All in all, a good scene with neat underwater shots and creepy moments.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies