Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter Anime Series

Old August 26th, 2007, 6:12 pm
First Year

Re: Harry Potter Anime Series?

There was a lot of confidence in Cuaron as far as doing a great job with PoA (which he did), stemming from his work in A Little Princess. IMO, the Princess Sarah anime did a better job adapting the original novel.

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2007, 5:39 am
Second Year

Yes, Totoro is awesome too.

But the point is, I think lots of people are thinking that HP in anime will be "asian-ized" and wouldn't seem right as the series is set in England etc.

Miyazaki, for example, had lots of his anime based in European settings and used proper actors to do the voices (some notable ones at that). And for his animations, while they stuck to the 'manga' style of drawing, the overall feeling of his animations were clearly heavily influenced by his experience and love for Europe. What I'm getting at here, is that you can adapt a traditional manga style animation to make it more fitting for the story.

However, with HP, you would want to go a step further.

Nothing in the vein of "Sailor moon", 'Akira', 'Astro Boy', etc (goodness no!)

Something like a moving picture book.

More like cartoons for adults to enjoy too.
You would have (for example) the artist who does the English book covers for HP series to draw up the animation/cartoon.

You could make it based VERY VERY closely on the books, as there would be no time boundaries for the animation like the movies, (2 hours per book) because they would be broken up into series.
(The movies omit so much of the novels, that unless you've read the books, then the movies can seem a bit 'cut and paste'-kind of like OoTP did.)

I know so many people who like Harry, but aren't such fans of reading.
And that's ok. I just wished for them, that they get to experience ALL of the books in the series, like the rest of us lucky people are, -whose eyes don't tire after reading for hours at end.
They get to miss all the little bits that aren't so important to be included in the movies, but all add to the depth, detail, appeal, and entertainment of the books.

I mean, just like BBC did with Pride and Prejudice, the book itself can be for some, really hard to read, but because the series made was very closely following the book, those who saw the series could talk about the book to those who have read the book and there would be little, if any gap in the difference of knowledge of characters, minor plots etc.

So, really, is an animation of HP that detesting?

It doesn't have to be strictly manga style.
It could just have an english cartoon style (more sophisticated using the latest technology of course), using English actors to do the voices and broken up into 1-4 chapters per episode (depending on the length and depth of the chapter) etc etc.

It could satisfy those who missed seeing certain parts omitted in the movies that were in the book, make it visually appalling to those who don't respond well to reading, and add another way of sharing a wonderful story to those who have not yet discovered HP series...

Last edited by elderwand; August 27th, 2007 at 5:44 am. Reason: Spelling errors
Old August 27th, 2007, 5:45 pm
Third Year

I just only hope this doesn't come true. I just can't see an anime of Harry Potter , it would be very anti climatic if it's not well drawn. Let the movies be all in DVD for a while and then we can think about it, but dor now, i hope not.

Old August 27th, 2007, 6:49 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
it would be very anti climatic if it's not well drawn.
Well, that's one of the things anime prides itself on: being well drawn (and animated, for that matter). Especially if it's a particularly ambitious project.

Old August 28th, 2007, 3:33 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marikina View Post
Well, that's one of the things anime prides itself on: being well drawn (and animated, for that matter). Especially if it's a particularly ambitious project.
I agree.
I wonder what is this anti-animation movement is all about?

Didn't any of these people love watching cartoons when they were younger? Or maybe they've not seen any animations worth watching.

Whatever it is, I'm quite concerned at the strong distaste for animation.

I mean, each to their own. But there are some serious apprehensions about it.
lol

Old August 28th, 2007, 3:54 am
Second Year

It all would depend on who created the anime...Some companies do create too cliche and cheesy anime series, but a Harry Potter anime series..I could see that coming out pretty cool, as long as they kept things canon.

I'd imagine any of the duals would look pretty awesome.

Gryffindor Till The End
Old August 28th, 2007, 8:28 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
It all would depend on who created the anime...Some companies do create too cliche and cheesy anime series, but a Harry Potter anime series..I could see that coming out pretty cool, as long as they kept things canon.

I'd imagine any of the duals would look pretty awesome.
Back in the early '90s here in the Philippines, we experienced a deluge of anime adapted from novels, such as Princess Sarah, A Dog of Flanders, and others. And all of them were faithful to the original material and treated it with respect. The Peter Pan anime took some liberties, but even that was fun.

Old August 29th, 2007, 7:12 am
Second Year

I don't want to see any more HP merchandising and milking unless its Jo making new content , I just don't want some lame spinoff or cartoon adaptation ruining the Harry Potter universe.

Old August 29th, 2007, 8:18 am
First Year

Personally, I'm no fan of anime I don't like the style of animation, and it just generally annoys me and gives me a headache, so I hope it doesn't happen !

Old August 29th, 2007, 3:09 pm
First Year

I would probably shoot someone if they made HP into an anime series. I can't stand to look at it and based on all the supposedly "amazing" anime movies I've seen - like Spirited Away and that one about the flying house - they are required to make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Old August 30th, 2007, 2:42 pm
First Year

If a prospective animator were to create a "proof of concept" of a Harry Potter anime to pitch to JKR, using PS/SS as the source material, what part of the book would be most ideal to use to successfully realize and sell the concept?

Old August 30th, 2007, 4:08 pm
First Year

An animated series could be very, very entertaining (well after the last live action movie comes out, anyway). But with a few caveats, at least for me. It needs to be either in a very realistic style (think: Final Fantasy) or in a style closely approximating the UK (youth) book covers. If it was in that hideous, bug-eyed stereotypical "anime" style...I'd have to track down and AK the responsible parties.

I also think it should be made as a serial, with hour-long episodes (not a feature-length film). One of the benefits to an animated version would be the ability to leave out far less of the material in the books. What would be the point of making something as tightly edited as the live action films?

Old August 30th, 2007, 5:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accio_Pint View Post
I also think it should be made as a serial, with hour-long episodes (not a feature-length film).
Like an OVA series?

Old August 30th, 2007, 5:27 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lushesx3 View Post
Personally, I'm no fan of anime I don't like the style of animation, and it just generally annoys me and gives me a headache, so I hope it doesn't happen !
I have to agree. Anime doesn't do much for me.

Old August 30th, 2007, 5:54 pm
First Year

Some of HP's comedic moments would be well-suited for anime's super-deformed side, actually. Ron's futile attempt at getting to the girls' dorm in OotP, Luna's lion hat, Peeves... just to name a few.

Old August 30th, 2007, 10:27 pm
Fifth Year

I would really loved a HP anime series or movies! In anime/cartoons there are no such thing as overacting that some actors does in the live-action movie. Plus, there would be no restriction on the magical scenes and the drawings of characters might probably be closer to how JKR described them in the book rather than what we've got with the actor's make-up and costumes. Harry has a messy hair and the Harry in OOTP looks like Clark Kent especially when he was going to the trials.

Old September 1st, 2007, 7:00 am
First Year

Quote:
Some of HP's comedic moments would be well-suited for anime's super-deformed side, actually. Ron's futile attempt at getting to the girls' dorm in OotP, Luna's lion hat, Peeves... just to name a few.
Maybe, but that's just because anime is really good at making stuff look absolutely rediculous. I was rofl during spirited away when that girl fell down like 100 flights of stairs randomly, but that was the only part of the movie i enjoyed. The rest gave me nightmares...

Old September 1st, 2007, 7:23 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonilWazlib14 View Post
Maybe, but that's just because anime is really good at making stuff look absolutely rediculous.
It's one of their specialties, but by no means is anime limited to that. As I've said before, as someone who's watched a lot of them, I've never watched an anime series based on a novel that didn't treat it seriously and with respect, without the "ridiculousness" of your average shonen or shojo work, which most people hold as the standard of anime. Or maybe it's just the unacceptance of animation as a medium for mature storytelling?

Old September 2nd, 2007, 8:46 am
Second Year

Quote:
Yes! Yes Yes!

The movies miss out on all these really cute, fun things.
And these little things count for fanatic potter fans!

Old September 3rd, 2007, 7:28 am
First Year

I would love it if they made a HP Cartoon, not anime. (no offense to anyone who likes it, but I personally can't stand them. in my opinion (which is just an opinion) they totally killed Saturday mornings) (Yes I grew up in the 80's )

But if it was done with quality by people that actual know the books and characters well. I think there is just so many possibilities that could be done with it and not just in the area of the magic aspect being easier to show in an animation environment. Not a remake of the books per say but following the general outline with ongoing points from the books showing up here and there it the episodes, as a faithful remake of the books would be pointless!

We would get to see so much more of the daily goings on of the school the classes and the magical world with all the little details that didn't make it in to the books. You know cartoon like escapades with run ins with the Slytherens and the interhouse competitions. Stuff like one of the twins trick sweets turns Harry into a hamster and they have to find him and turn him back to normal before the big game. But hopefully not that lame, I'm not very good at coming up with ideas. But you get what I mean.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies