Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Questions about the Harry Potter Movies v.2

Old March 20th, 2012, 11:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
I always chalked that up to the fact that the polyjuice potion wasn't meant to be used for animal transformations, so its effects like speech change would be different in using cat hair than if Hermione had used human hair as planned. Nothing in canon to support that, of course, but that was my hypothesis, anyway.
Harry did notice her voice sounded oddly high-pitched.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2012, 3:02 am
First Year

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the input. I greatly appreciate it.

Old March 21st, 2012, 6:51 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
That would be ideal but it's ruined by one line in COS.

"We still sound like ourrselves! You need to sound more like Crabbe."
I think that was meant to be more in the sense that the way Ron talks is very different from Crabbe rather than the actual voice; the voice itself might have been Crabbe's, but the tone and everything was still Ron's.

Say, for example, you're using the potion to transform into someone who usually speaks very softly, but you generally talk much louder. The potion would give you the other person's actual voice, but it'd be up to you to actually match the mannerisms that person speaks with.

Does that make sense?

Old March 27th, 2012, 2:24 pm
First Year

How DH Part 1 & 2 were split

I have read all the books & watched the movies thru HBP, but I have not seen the DH movies yet. I am waiting for my DS to finish reading the DH book. Did the movies follow the book pretty well & just split the book at one point? Could my DS read DH to a certain point & watch DH part 1? If so, at which point would that be? Or is it better for him to read the whole book 1st, then watch both movies?
I am having a hard time waiting & was hoping we could watch part 1 half way thru the book.

Old March 28th, 2012, 6:20 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I liked reading the book first. I didn't mind the first movie DH-part one, but I was disappointed in DH part two. Other people loved both movies. But read the book first so you can follow the movies. There is more that I want to add, but I don't want you to be disappointed.

Old March 28th, 2012, 12:05 pm
Registered Animagus

The first film ends after Dobby dies and is buried though i would just read the whole book all at once, but if you read to that point you would be where the film ends. I agree with merrymarge though i liked Part 1, i thought Part 2 was confusing and badly written, but it is what it is.

Old March 31st, 2012, 1:51 am
First Year

Okay, good to know. Now I have read DH already. I am waiting for my son to finish the book b4 I will watch DH part 1/2 so I can watch it with him.
I am not surprised part 2 is disappointing. I have already heard the final battle w/Voldemort was changed. I was disappointed in HBP movie. I don't mind how they left out or changed minor details, but it drove me crazy how the major scenes (like Dumbledore's death) were changed.

Last edited by MyHorcrux1990; March 31st, 2012 at 1:59 am.
Old July 8th, 2012, 9:07 am
First Year

The Scripts

I'm an aspiring screenwriter and always find it useful to read the scripts to movies I loved, a large portion of which happen to be Harry Potter. I've managed to find a bunch of them but the two that I cannot find anywhere are the ones for Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix.

Does anyone know if they are online (legally) anywhere? The actual scripts, not just transcripts made by someone else. If someone knew, it would be much appreciated.

Old August 9th, 2012, 10:06 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Phineas Nigellus heard Hermione explaining where they were and why, and passed the message on to Snape. The attainment of the sword needed to be under conditions of valor, so Snape made sure the condition was met.
just to add - this is the scene were Snape gets furious at Phineas on account of Phineas referring to Hermione as the "Mudblood" girl. Why he gets furious is the subject of endless debate. Is it too hurtful to him to be reminded of his own blunder? Does he truthfully renounce the pure blood prejudices?

I can't remember, was Snape calling Lily a Mudblood included in the Prince's Tale in DH Part 2?

Old August 9th, 2012, 6:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinofjim View Post
I can't remember, was Snape calling Lily a Mudblood included in the Prince's Tale in DH Part 2?
No, because it was never filmed in OotP. For that matter, none of SWM is in the Prince's Tale because it wasn't a pensieve memory in OotP.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old August 9th, 2012, 6:48 pm
Sixth Year

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but by doing so they pretty much white-washed Snape's relationship with Lily.

Old August 9th, 2012, 7:06 pm
First Year

ah yes, I remember now. Harry pulls a legimency on Snape in the movie OOtP, which is how he accesses SWM. I thought at the time that was quite a cool adaptation but I guess it created problems down the line in the movie adaptations.

I wouldn't say excluding the "Mudblood" insult totally white-washes Snape's relationship with Lily but it certainly does alter the context and removes a lot of the depth and layers to the scenario and Snape's subsequent actions in helping to protect Harry

Old August 10th, 2012, 2:19 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
No, because it was never filmed in OotP.
It was filmed for OotP, actually, Lily was cast and there have been images of Harry watching his teenage parents.

Although it would have been nice to be in the Prince's Tale (and film!SWM for that matter), the editing of that sequence was so good, I can't imagine it being any different (except perhaps if they included the correct prophecy )

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old August 10th, 2012, 3:12 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
It was filmed for OotP, actually, Lily was cast and there have been images of Harry watching his teenage parents.
Yes, I know. I have all the stills.

By it I meant Sev calling Lily a mudblood, not the pensieve scene. It's too bad Yate's made that change; that's when the movies started going downhill for me. Harry being in so much of it really cut down on the footage they could use. Poor Alec Hopkins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinofjim View Post
ah yes, I remember now. Harry pulls a legimency on Snape in the movie OOtP, which is how he accesses SWM. I thought at the time that was quite a cool adaptation but I guess it created problems down the line in the movie adaptations.

I wouldn't say excluding the "Mudblood" insult totally white-washes Snape's relationship with Lily but it certainly does alter the context and removes a lot of the depth and layers to the scenario and Snape's subsequent actions in helping to protect Harry
Is there any need to whitewash Sev's relationship with Lily in the movies? Without any re-watching of TPT, as I recall they're friends as little kids, separated at Hogwarts by house affiliation, Sev's bullied by two unidentified kids (JP & SB), and when they grow up she's married to James and he's a DE. In fact, it's kind of hard to understand why it's still 'Always' for Snape . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; August 10th, 2012 at 3:21 am.
Old August 10th, 2012, 9:25 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
By it I meant Sev calling Lily a mudblood, not the pensieve scene. It's too bad Yate's made that change; that's when the movies started going downhill for me....

Is there any need to whitewash Sev's relationship with Lily in the movies? Without any re-watching of TPT, as I recall they're friends as little kids, separated at Hogwarts by house affiliation, Sev's bullied by two unidentified kids (JP & SB), and when they grow up she's married to James and he's a DE. In fact, it's kind of hard to understand why it's still 'Always' for Snape . . .
I actually still quite like the change of having Harry Legimens Snape, but I can see where you are coming from.

I disagree that this is where the movies started going downhill. I really like the way Yates bought home the series. I know OOtP is the only movie that wasn't adapted by Kloves, and I thought it did a pretty decent job of streamlining the OOtP book into a tense and exciting movie, making lots of cuts but still managing to touch upon all the themes examined in the books. And then I thought Kloves really upped his game with the next movie (HBP) after the clunkyness of GoF.

From my experience, the two kids bullying Snape in the SWM scene were not unidentified. My wife, who is only now reading the books, picked up the fact that they were James and Sirius straight away, and picked up on the consequences of that for TPT when we were discussing it after having seen DHp2. But, yeah, removing the 'Mudblood' element is a fail

Old September 14th, 2012, 10:47 am
Second Year

What spells does Molly use to freeze and kill Bellatrix?

Old September 15th, 2012, 12:00 am
Second Year

We never find out. Even in the book it simply says something like "Molly's curse swooped underneath Bellatrix's outstretched arm" or something along those lines. It never states exactly what she used.

It was probably something they just made up for the movie because the closest spell I can think of that has that effect in the books is the Petrificus Totalis, but it's not exact.

Even when Hermione uses it against the Death eater in the coffee shop during movie DH, it doesn't have the same effect that it does in the book or on Neville in Philosopher's Stone movie. It seems to more have the effect of the Stupify during that movie scene.

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Old October 4th, 2012, 6:28 am
First Year

---Good question...although shoes on re-constituted Voldy would seem a bit odd in my opinion. I can't imagine a shoe that would seem in character at the point we see him. Imagine -- dress shoes...sneakers...loafers...short boots...slippers... It would ruin the overall look -- pallid complexion, snakey features, and the ethereal quality of that robe; I think shoes would somehow ruin his "look" -- but I don't know why the decision was made. Is it ever mentioned in the books? Maybe they were following book canon?---

In response to someone on the first version. This is the only time other than the fourth film where Voldemort is barefoot. You can see his feet several other times, such as the duel in the fifth film and when he destroys the shield in the last film. He's wearing shoes similar to what Dumbledore wore in the sixth film, some sort of laceless, slipper-like things. They seem practically like socks but with hard soles, lol.

Also, someone on the last version - on a page in the late 60s - asked something about Voldemort not being able to feel the Horcruxes' destructions in the seventh film, part 1. When Harry is having his vision in the last film in the lake, there's a flashback to the locket's destruction, and it shows Voldemort shouting in pain and, like, looking upward. You can see it if you go and look.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies