Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion > Coming Soon

The Stand (2013?)

Old February 3rd, 2011, 8:24 am
Fourth Year

The Stand (2013?)

According to several news outlets there will be a filmadaption of Stephen King's The Stand, wich brought out a kind of fan-girlish reaction. I have to admit I never saw the miniseries, but I have heard it's pretty good. I hope this will be just as good. I just don't hope they will try to get all 1100 pages into one film. I don't think that would work... Since it's LotR epic, they might as well go LotR-style film....

Any ideas on this????

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:52 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: The Stand

Going from the story in The Hollywood Reporter a completed film (if it happens) would be some way off. There's nothing on the official SK page.

Having seen the mini-series I think The Stand can be done in a single movie if the script is disciplined and they get the casting right. For although it is a big book the original edition showed that the same story could be contained. Even the original had a lot of backstory that can be sacrificed.

That said, the failure at Project Blue (which didn't make the original book) should be included.

I'm also curious as to how WB/CBS intend to release this because the next few years may be dominated by the behemoth of The Dark Tower movie and TV cross-over due for release in 2013.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 3rd, 2011, 7:18 pm
Banned

(personal note: i made a thread on this 2 days ago and it wasnt approved *** moving on)

it should be THREE films

Part I: The flu and all the devistation it caused
Part II: THis film's job would be to establish are confliciting forces m other abigail and R.F. we know more obut them their ambations and diffrences as their respective forces gather
culminating in the final showdown in Part III

Old February 4th, 2011, 12:02 am
Third Year

I think the fact that we're getting a series of Dark Tower movies is enough to clench our "King" thirst.

I agree that the Stand can be done in one (long) movie. Won't be the same, but well, it isn't a book. I agree that the Project Blue scene should open the film. I've only read the revised edition (with that chapter in), and I think it sets the mood right.

Old February 4th, 2011, 1:34 am
Banned

no itm ust be three any less will buthcher the novel

three or none

Old February 4th, 2011, 3:31 am

The Captain Trips part of the book can be easily compressed as it is heavy on exposition and establishment. For example Poke and Lloyd's run through Nebraska takes pages and pages and could be dealt with in a few minutes of screen time. We don't need to know all the stuff about their meeting on a prison farm and Gorgeous George.

Same with Nick. We don't need his life story.

Plus the ending isn't a strong enough way to end a film if you want people to come back for a second helping.

On the Border too has a lot of people taking a lot of pages to do not much. Although it does end in a way which would encourage people to come along for a third part.

A lot of the third section is guys walking across a desert which equals dull cinema

The book has a definite three-act structure like a movie and that's how it would be best handled.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old February 4th, 2011, 4:14 am
Banned

yeah thats y the miniseries sucked

oh wait it didnt

Old February 4th, 2011, 7:48 am

A mini-series and a movie are two entirely different beasts.

As it was the mini-series was no great shakes in no small part because it was flabby and miscast.

Old February 4th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Fourth Year

The miniseries does get good reviews though. I've only seen small parts of it and only on youtube.
I think films these days often focus to much on the blood and gore and I really hope this one won't. I don't think this would work as a single film. To many would have to be let out and despite the fact that most of it isn't essential to the story, but I do believe it ads to the story as a whole. In fact, my least favorite part is the thing between good and evil. I really liked reading about how society collapsed and people had to muddle on to get on with life.

On a different note:
I think Angus Turner Jones from Two and a half men would make a good Harold.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

Old February 4th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusandme View Post
The miniseries does get good reviews though. I've only seen small parts of it and only on youtube.
I think films these days often focus to much on the blood and gore and I really hope this one won't.
There is precious little blood and gore in the book.

Quote:
I don't think this would work as a single film. To many would have to be let out and despite the fact that most of it isn't essential to the story, but I do believe it ads to the story as a whole.
To the story in print, yes. But a movie is a different medium. In film it would be dull. Do you really think that every conversation between Frannie and Amy Lauder as depicted in the book would add to a film?

Nor will a depiction of every event in the degeneration of society as depicted in the book.

As for characters, the only essential ones in the Free Zone are the committee, Sue, Dayna, the Judge, Tom and Abigail.

In Vegas, the Dude, Lloyd, Trashy.

And, of course, there's Harold and Nadine.
Quote:
In fact, my least favorite part is the thing between good and evil.
Which, according to King, is the whole point of the book.

Old February 4th, 2011, 6:47 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I know, which is why I hope they don't change that. I'm afraid that, with people fascination with blood and gore, the film would focus to much on that part (no matter how small the part in the book is) and not on everything else.

Quote:
Which, according to King, is the whole point of the book.
Mmmm... I should have made my point clearer, but I was at work so.. It's not so much the battle between good and evil I don't like. It's more the part where it gets "supernatural". If that's the right word. I understand that the "magic" has to be a part of the story because otherwise too many things would be unexplainable. I haven't read the book in a while but I am rereading it now and there's a good chance that part won't bother me as much as it did last time. We'll see..

Quote:
To the story in print, yes. But a movie is a different medium. In film it would be dull. Do you really think that every conversation between Frannie and Amy Lauder as depicted in the book would add to a film?
Nooo.. gosh no. Not every conversation... I do mean the hospital scenes, the scenes between Fran and her mother, the insane soldiers in San Francisco part, things like that. Those are scenes that would work really well in a film because they are very visual. And they show really well how serious the situation is.

Old February 4th, 2011, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
There is, however, a lot of snot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusandme View Post
Nooo.. gosh no. Not every conversation... I do mean the hospital scenes, the scenes between Fran and her mother, the insane soldiers in San Francisco part, things like that. Those are scenes that would work really well in a film because they are very visual. And they show really well how serious the situation is.
The Fran/mother showdown is a must but it can be written as to make the whole preamble with Jesse and her father unnecessary.

One or two sequences of the breakdown (like the soldiers) sure. But it would also be simpler and best if the breakdown is integrated into the stories of the key characters.

Old May 14th, 2011, 4:04 am
Fifth Year

Re: The Stand (2013?)

I don't know... I've yet to see a good theatrical film made from a Stephen King book, but as miniseries they seem to work extremely well. Yes, the miniseries was mostly miscast (Molly Ringwald as Frannie? Seriously?) but sometimes they hit it on the nose -- for my money, Gary Sinise as Stuart Redman and Bill Fagerbakke as Tom Cullen (M-O-O-N that spells Tom Cullen) were beautifully cast. Rob Lowe as Nicky... not so much.

But it seems like King novels fit the miniseries mold better -- most of the explication gets to stay, and the tension builds from night to night, like reading the books builds from reading session to session. I hated Kubrick's version of The Shining, but the miniseries of it was almost perfect (except for the awful sappy ending).

It will be interesting to see if (a) they do make a Stand movie and (b) if it's worth the price of admission...

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Old August 11th, 2011, 4:00 am
Registered Animagus

New information about this! And it has a big Harry Potter connection to it!

David Yates is directing, and Steve Kloves is writing the script for it!

http://www.slashfilm.com/david-yates...ngs-the-stand/

Old August 11th, 2011, 7:25 am
Seventh Year

I don't think this is confirmed, and honestly, I doubt it'll happen. I don't see David Yates going into something this massive and demanding right after Potter, especially as he's said he'll do something much smaller next. I suppose it could be not his next film, but the one after that.

Old August 11th, 2011, 8:27 am

There's nothing about it on the official SK site. In fact the only new movie news is that Universal has pulled out of The Dark Tower movie/TV series.

And King's opinion of the Stand rumour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK
M-O-O-N, that spells “you probably won’t see this anytime soon.” And when you do, Woody Allen won’t be directing it. Or Molly Ringwald.
http://www.slashfilm.com/stephen-kin...ion-the-stand/

Last edited by Wab; August 11th, 2011 at 8:34 am.
Old August 11th, 2011, 9:26 am
Suteki da ne

Really? OK, I admit it, I loved the miniseries. I guess I'm different to a lot of posters in this thread, I really like a lot of the Stephen King films

I think if this is done correctly, then it'll be brilliant. I've only ever read the uncut edition of the book, which adds a lot of extras in, which although interesting to the plot (I've read about which bits are added) aren't strictly necessary to make a good film- there's a bit in the book about how lots of survivors died through accidents and such, which I thought was good because it showed that not just the Captain Trips sufferers were dying, but I can't see it being integral to the plot of the film. Oh, and I loved this quote

Quote:
Molly Ringwald will probably not play the Trashcan Man, either, but Billy Bob Thornton would be cool. Billy Bob’s always cool.

If you change your mind
Old August 11th, 2011, 8:07 pm
First Year

i
dont care who composes as long as they redo this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuAVP44EG0 i bet desplat could do an EPIC version

Old August 12th, 2011, 1:41 am
First Year

The Stand is one of my favourite books.

I really enjoyed the miniseries ( I read it before the book though so that might make a difference) it was a bit cheesy but nothing that really stood out and it inspired me to read the book even though I had sworn off ever reading anything by Stephen King again after the Shining had me sleeping with the light on for about 2 weeks (I was 21.)

I think it would need to be done in parts though I just can't see how they would do it for a normal length film, too much ground to cover. I think if they rush they will ruin it. If done correctly it could be really amazing.

Old August 12th, 2011, 1:54 pm
First Year

i agree with the one at the beginning of this thread whose name i cant read cause its crossed out (does that mean hes banned or something) it should be 3 parts and his outline of how they would play out is pretty good

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion > Coming Soon