Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3



View Poll Results: Did Snape take Lily's concerns about his Slytherin friends seriously?
Yes, he just covered it up because he had no choice. I blame the sorting. 19 6.91%
Partly. He seemed to have been convinced that he was right and Lily wasn't. 68 24.73%
No, his (re)actions show that he did not listen to her. He was too busy being jealous of James. 119 43.27%
He became a Death Eater to impress Lily, which shows that he misjudged her character severely. 36 13.09%
I disagree with all options and will explain my opinion in a post. 13 4.73%
I think this poll should have a pony option. 20 7.27%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:41 am
random_musing's Avatar
random_musing  Female.gif random_musing is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 5412 days
Location: Los Angeles/NYC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,475
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
And I still think Lily broke off with him, because she fell in love with James, I feel that Snape knew that Lily was thinking of James differently; their arguments seem to concentrate as much on James as they did on Avery and Mulciber IMO.
I don't think Lily knew she was in love with James yet but it is clear that Severus was weary of James' ongoing attempts to date Lily. I think Snape knew James as a threat to their friendship which was already slowly deteriorating. And just as Sev saw James as a bigger threat, Lily saw Avery and Mulciber as a bigger threat and frankly it seems clear to me that she was right.


__________________
Vintage LA
Sixties and smog = Match made in heaven
Supporter of the Snape loved Lily theory since 2005|And a Proud Snape/Lily AND James/Lily shipper

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:30 pm
kittling's Avatar
kittling  Female.gif kittling is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4444 days
Location: UK
Posts: 1,071
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_musing View Post
I don't think Lily knew she was in love with James yet but it is clear that Severus was weary of James' ongoing attempts to date Lily. I think Snape knew James as a threat to their friendship which was already slowly deteriorating. And just as Sev saw James as a bigger threat, Lily saw Avery and Mulciber as a bigger threat and frankly it seems clear to me that she was right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_musing View Post
I don't think Lily knew she was in love with James yet but it is clear that Severus was weary of James' ongoing attempts to date Lily. I think Snape knew James as a threat to their friendship which was already slowly deteriorating. And just as Sev saw James as a bigger threat, Lily saw Avery and Mulciber as a bigger threat and frankly it seems clear to me that she was right.
I like what you said about Snape knew James as the threat to their friendship, & that Lily saw Avery and Mulciber as the threat and I think your right about that.

But I donít think it is possible to say that either one was right in thinking their point was the right one. If Sev had given up his friendship with Avery and Mulciber but Lily had continued along the path she was on with James Ė I think it very likely that the friendship would not have survived. I also think the reverse is true had Lily changes things with James and Sev continued with his friendships with Avery and Mulciber I doubt the friendship would have survived.

Both were threats to the friendship and imo equally so, and both would have to have been addressed if the friendship was to flourish.


__________________


My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
  #23  
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:32 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4561 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_musing View Post
I don't think Lily knew she was in love with James yet but it is clear that Severus was weary of James' ongoing attempts to date Lily. I think Snape knew James as a threat to their friendship which was already slowly deteriorating. And just as Sev saw James as a bigger threat, Lily saw Avery and Mulciber as a bigger threat and frankly it seems clear to me that she was right.
Excellently put.

I do not think we can discount Lily's very real, and very serious, concerns about Sev's involvement with people who later would become Death Eaters and who had a vested interest in persecuting people like her. I think it is very clear, from the way Rowling writes it, that this was a big factor in Lily ending her friendship with Severus, irrespective of her feelings about James, and that it had been a problem for some time ... as her final speech to Sev shows.

1. Why do you think Snape was so reluctant to approach Lily? Would he have been interested in her if she had not been magical?

- I doubt it. JKR seems to present him as a lonely and possibly neglected child. He was fascinated by Lily because she was another magical child and that was why he was desperate to make friends with her.

2. Why did Lily accept Snape's friendship? Would she have been as friendly to him if he had not told her about the magical world?

- Possibly not, although she seems to be a kind little girl. She was deeply intrigued by what he told her about her own magic.

3. What role did each of them play in the friendship? Do you think it was a friendship of equals?

- I would like to think so, but Rowling doesn't really write it that way: the friendship seems to have a lot of strain in it, even from the get-go. It's touching to see their innocent interaction as children but even at that age little Sev has clearly imbibed some anti-Muggle prejudice from ... somewhere. He tries to hide it from Lily because he likes her so much but it's the constant dark undercurrent in their relationship.

4. How did Hogwarts effect the friendship? We see that up until fifth year they consider themselves to be "best friends", despite the house system. Do you think they both worked to maintain the friendship?

- They must have done. Lily seems to have had great affection for Severus, otherwise why would she have remained friends with him for so long? For his part, he seems to be quite in love with her, despite the anti-Muggle prejudices of his own pals in Slytherin.

5. How did Gryffindor change Lily? How did Slytherin change Snape? Would each have changed in the same way if they had been sorted into another house? Would the friendship have changed as drastically if they were in the same house?

- Intriguing to ponder. Sev is such a natural Slytherin it's impossible to imagine him Sorted anywhere else. Whereas Lily has her supportive friends in Gryffindor, he only has his dodgy friends in Slytherin and the dubious patronage of Lucius Malfoy, and is being sucked into a terrible movement.

6. What was the death knoll for the friendship? Was it Snape's budding interest in the Dark Arts, the mudblood insult or something else?

- The anti-Muggle prejudice was a problem even before his DE ambitions, IMO.

7. Was there a different choice Snape could have made to save the friendship? Was there a different choice Lily could have made?

- Severus should have listened to Lily earlier and also given up on his obsession with the Marauders (which so annoyed her).
- As for Lily, her final break up with him is pretty brutal, but she seems completely at the end of her tether. The Mudblood insult was the last straw.

8. How would their lives have been different if they had managed to save their friendship? Do you think they might have had a romantic future? A lifelong friendship?

- Rowling doesn't give us enough to go on here, IMO. Severus seems tongue-tied and nervous around Lily very often, revealing that he is the one who is in love and in a way has more to lose than she has.


__________________
  #24  
Old July 8th, 2008, 1:06 pm
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4791 days
Posts: 6,026
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_musing View Post
I don't think Lily knew she was in love with James yet but it is clear that Severus was weary of James' ongoing attempts to date Lily. I think Snape knew James as a threat to their friendship which was already slowly deteriorating. And just as Sev saw James as a bigger threat, Lily saw Avery and Mulciber as a bigger threat and frankly it seems clear to me that she was right.
I think Lily did have a deep attraction which I do think was love; but I also think she fought it hard (that's why IMO she did not go out with James as soon as she broke off with Snape; it took her more than a year and a half or so).

I think kittling made an excellent point about threats on both sides and I agree with her. Because I think Lily would not have been able to give up James and I don't think Snape would have agreed to that and they would have split anyway (assuming Snape turned away from Avery and Co). If Snape was with Avery and Co then Lily would have broken off with him IMO.

I think Lily was in love with James and she used the SWM and her possibly growing concerns to break off with Snape telling him that she knew he would surely become a DE (not the exact words) IMO.

Lily was correct IMO because Snape had no one to guide him, and having lost one thing very near to him, he probably did not want to loose the other too. I am not blaming Lily for breaking off with Snape, I am only trying say why he proved Lily's words right.


__________________
The man who, in my opinion, won the war against Voldemort for Harry Potter and the Light! Severus Snape!

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
  #25  
Old July 8th, 2008, 2:04 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4561 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I think Lily did have a deep attraction which I do think was love;
I would query it was love at the age of 15. She seems to have fancied James, but that's not love. Later on, of course, it did become love.

Quote:
I think kittling made an excellent point about threats on both sides and I agree with her. Because I think Lily would not have been able to give up James and I don't think Snape would have agreed to that and they would have split anyway (assuming Snape turned away from Avery and Co). If Snape was with Avery and Co then Lily would have broken off with him IMO.
Yes, the James factor would have split the Lily/Sev friendship up eventually. That's undeniable. But I cannot agree that Lily broke off with Severus primarily because she fancied James. That is not what canon shows us, IMO. If that were true, Lily would be a very shallow person indeed and I don't think she is written that way.

Quote:
I think Lily was in love with James and she used the SWM and her possibly growing concerns to break off with Snape telling him that she knew he would surely become a DE (not the exact words) IMO.
Her concerns about Sev's DE interests and anti-Muggle feelings were not possibly growing concerns: they were real and genuine concerns, in my opinion, and I think that's how Rowling writes them.


__________________
  #26  
Old July 8th, 2008, 2:17 pm
ComicBookWorm's Avatar
ComicBookWorm  Female.gif ComicBookWorm is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5817 days
Location: Embedded in my sofa
Posts: 16,292
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Yeah, but the threat that Avery and Mulciber represented was very grave. They were Jr. DEs and they all became DEs, including Snape. James was only a potential love interest, not a potential member of a group of bloodthirsty killers.

Avery and Mulciber were only a threat to the friendship because of what they represented. And it wasn't just Avery and Mulciber that were the problem. Snape aspired to join Voldemort. Snape was espousing bigoted ideas. Snape was involved in the Dark Arts. There was a lot more wrong going on than a simple dislike of his friends.


__________________

Sometimes dreams do come true
  #27  
Old July 8th, 2008, 2:23 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 5274 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I would query it was love at the age of 15. She seems to have fancied James, but that's not love. Later on, of course, it did become love.
I agree, and I feel that applied to both James and Lily; however I could imagine that Snape felt that was more than enough. From the other side it was the same according to JKR. James knew Lily didn't fancy Snape, but he was molested by the belief that Snape fancied Lily (Bloomsbury Chat). Arguably it was worse for Snape in that regard because he (correctly) felt that Lily fancied James as well (DH TPT).

Quote:
Yes, the James factor would have split the Lily/Sev friendship up eventually. That's undeniable. But I cannot agree that Lily broke off with Severus primarily because she fancied James. That is not what canon shows us, IMO. If that were true, Lily would be a very shallow person indeed and I don't think she is written that way.
I am not positive about that outcome. I feel it may have caused dissention in both of Lily's friendships, but these things have a crazy way of working out at times in the most miraculous of ways. However, Snape would have had to of let go of his dark interests. I agree with you however that canon shows that James had nothing to do with Lily's primary reason for ending her friendship with Snape.

Quote:
Her concerns about Sev's DE interests and anti-Muggle feelings were not possibly growing concerns: they were real and genuine concerns, in my opinion, and I think that's how Rowling writes them.
I agree.


__________________
  #28  
Old July 8th, 2008, 2:33 pm
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4791 days
Posts: 6,026
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I would query it was love at the age of 15. She seems to have fancied James, but that's not love. Later on, of course, it did become love.
I don't think it's impossible. Hermione loved Ron when she was about that age IMO (in my eyes at least); and in my country, people do fall in love at ages 15 and 16 (severely opposed by their parents though) and do make very successful marriages.


__________________
The man who, in my opinion, won the war against Voldemort for Harry Potter and the Light! Severus Snape!

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
  #29  
Old July 8th, 2008, 2:43 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4561 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I don't think it's impossible. Hermione loved Ron when she was about that age IMO (in my eyes at least); and in my country, people do fall in love at ages 15 and 16 (severely opposed by their parents though) and do make very successful marriages.
Oh, I don't think it's impossible ... especially as JKR tends to marry off her principal characters at very young ages.

But I don't get the impression from canon that 15 year old Lily Evans looked at 15 year old James Potter and said, 'a-ha! There's my soulmate for life!'

As I've said, I think the main reason for Lily breaking off with Snape was because of the direction his life was going in ... hooking in with a genocidal cult.


__________________
  #30  
Old July 8th, 2008, 3:05 pm
Vig's Avatar
Vig  Male.gif Vig is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape/Trapdoor Champion
 
Joined: 5058 days
Location: At Fox River Penitentiary!
Age: 31
Posts: 521
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Oh, I don't think it's impossible ... especially as JKR tends to marry off her principal characters at very young ages.

But I don't get the impression from canon that 15 year old Lily Evans looked at 15 year old James Potter and said, 'a-ha! There's my soulmate for life!'

As I've said, I think the main reason for Lily breaking off with Snape was because of the direction his life was going in ... hooking in with a genocidal cult.
My impression from the books and fanfictions (Which can be sometimes accurate in their presumptions) is that Lily didn't like James till she was in the sixth year (My guess is she started liking him after James saves Severus)..I agree with you when you say that Lily broke connection with Severus because he became a Death-Eater (Or hung out with guys/girls practising dark magic) and her friend Mary suffered because of it (That was the final straw, I think)


__________________
It doesn't End! It never will...I will keep coming back for more. The books will always remain a part of who I am!

I cried, when I saw the "It all ends!" banner!!

But now I know, it never will....
  #31  
Old July 8th, 2008, 3:28 pm
_LoonyLovegood_'s Avatar
_LoonyLovegood_  Female.gif _LoonyLovegood_ is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4499 days
Location: J-Man and Channy's.
Age: 28
Posts: 412
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnimbus View Post
My impression from the books and fanfictions (Which can be sometimes accurate in their presumptions) is that Lily didn't like James till she was in the sixth year (My guess is she started liking him after James saves Severus)..I agree with you when you say that Lily broke connection with Severus because he became a Death-Eater (Or hung out with guys/girls practising dark magic) and her friend Mary suffered because of it (That was the final straw, I think)
Obviously we all have our own way of interpreting the scene, but I believe Lily had already begun to like James during Snape's Worst Memory. In my opinion, she was trying not to like him, because he was still an 'arrogant, bullying toerag,' but she couldn't help having feelings for him. You can tell that Lily had been watching James, the way she talks about him messing up his air and showing off with the snitch. Also, she only reprimands James, when Sirius had been bullying Snape as well. I think once James changed during sixth year, she then stopped trying to repress her feelings for him.

I agree with what you said were the reasons for ending the friendship. I think she friendship had been deteriorating for a long time, and SWM was the final straw; Lily could not make excuses for Severus any longer.

I voted for "No, his (re)actions show that he did not listen to her. He was too busy being jealous of James." In my opinion, it is evident in that scene in TPT that Severus' jealousy of James was more important to him than the feelings of someone who was supposed to be his best friend.


__________________


Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
  #32  
Old July 8th, 2008, 3:57 pm
ignisia's Avatar
ignisia  Female.gif ignisia is offline
Leader of the GLITTELUTION
 
Joined: 5109 days
Location: Sitting in a Tin Can
Age: 31
Posts: 4,418
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

IMO, Lily's attraction to James began even earlier than SWM. In the scene where she and Severus are arguing about the Werewolf Incident, she seems to take James' side on that issue despite evidence to the contrary and implies that the Marauders are somehow better than Mulciber/Avery, despite the fact that their actions are very similar.

IMO, Lily wasn't the only one out of line there. Severus was being foolish and allowing his jealousy of James to distract him, as that is easier than noticing what is wrong with his friends' actions.
However his fear that James might come between them does, IMO, hold a lot of water. He is, on some level, one of the reasons for their argument. Lily wants him to own up to his mistakes, but Severus cannot do so when he sees Lily making similar ones.

(And note that I said "he sees Lily making mistakes". IMO, Severus thinks this. I'm not touching on my own opinion, because I know that will cause WW3...)


__________________
I am incapable of hating someone who, instead of using a spell to guard the Sorcerer's Stone, uses a logic puzzle.
I'm sorry.



VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Avatar by SIP
  #33  
Old July 8th, 2008, 4:18 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4561 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
IMO, Lily's attraction to James began even earlier than SWM. In the scene where she and Severus are arguing about the Werewolf Incident, she seems to take James' side on that issue despite evidence to the contrary and implies that the Marauders are somehow better than Mulciber/Avery, despite the fact that their actions are very similar.

IMO, Lily wasn't the only one out of line there. Severus was being foolish and allowing his jealousy of James to distract him, as that is easier than noticing what is wrong with his friends' actions.
However his fear that James might come between them does, IMO, hold a lot of water. He is, on some level, one of the reasons for their argument. Lily wants him to own up to his mistakes, but Severus cannot do so when he sees Lily making similar ones.
You make some very good points there, Iggy, and I am sympathetic to a lot of them.

But while I don't condone the Marauders' stupidity in the werewolf incident, I still don't think we should lose sight of the fact of the seriousness of Lily's concerns about Mulciber/Avery's influence on Severus and the whole anti-Muggle thing. I do think that the worrisome anti-Muggle thing gets lost sometimes in this debate, i.e. how it impinged on Snape and Lily's friendship. It's a really important point that JKR tends to hammer home.


__________________
  #34  
Old July 8th, 2008, 5:33 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 5274 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
But while I don't condone the Marauders' stupidity in the werewolf incident, I still don't think we should lose sight of the fact of the seriousness of Lily's concerns about Mulciber/Avery's influence on Severus and the whole anti-Muggle thing. I do think that the worrisome anti-Muggle thing gets lost sometimes in this debate, i.e. how it impinged on Snape and Lily's friendship. It's a really important point that JKR tends to hammer home.
I agree; however, I feel it was more than just the sentiment that had Lily concerned; it was the whole Death Eater ideology that went with the idea of blood superiority - supression and even death to Muggles and Muggleborns arising out of the disrespect shown by Mulcider in this instance. The use of dark magic (from Lily's perspective, harmful curses) against others went beyond mere anti-muggle sentiments to the idea of not doing that type of thing to anyone, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
IMO, Lily's attraction to James began even earlier than SWM. In the scene where she and Severus are arguing about the Werewolf Incident, she seems to take James' side on that issue despite evidence to the contrary and implies that the Marauders are somehow better than Mulciber/Avery, despite the fact that their actions are very similar.

IMO, Lily wasn't the only one out of line there.
I respect your view, but I would disagree with the assertion that Lily was out of line. Her point was not that the Marauders were somehow better individuals for pranking people using light magic or delinquent magic - she was against that also as she pointed out to James in SWM. In my opinion, her point was that Dark Magic (harmful curses in her view) were wrong and in that light - and only that light - the activities of the Marauders were better and not comparable to the lengths that Snape's friends were going to in their antics against others. The action being similar (issuing a spell at someone) was completely beside the point, yet Snape was trying to make it the point - he was the one that brought the Marauders into the conversation (DH TPT). Lily was not thinking about James or the Marauders at all, but about Snape, but he appeared to be anxious to bring up the Marauders, specifically James and when you consider that the Marauders were not particular friends of Lily's at that time, it makes little sense for him to have done so, imo. Lily was likely friendly with them as she was all of her housemates, but she was not so friendly as to be influenced by them, imo, as she had not taken up pranking or hex wars to our knowledge as provided in canon.


__________________
  #35  
Old July 9th, 2008, 8:05 am
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4686 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
IMO, Lily's attraction to James began even earlier than SWM. In the scene where she and Severus are arguing about the Werewolf Incident, she seems to take James' side on that issue despite evidence to the contrary and implies that the Marauders are somehow better than Mulciber/Avery, despite the fact that their actions are very similar.

IMO, Lily wasn't the only one out of line there. Severus was being foolish and allowing his jealousy of James to distract him, as that is easier than noticing what is wrong with his friends' actions.
However his fear that James might come between them does, IMO, hold a lot of water. He is, on some level, one of the reasons for their argument. Lily wants him to own up to his mistakes, but Severus cannot do so when he sees Lily making similar ones.

(And note that I said "he sees Lily making mistakes". IMO, Severus thinks this. I'm not touching on my own opinion, because I know that will cause WW3...)

I thought as WWB says that they were talking about Avery and Mulciber and that Snape dragged the Maurauders into the conversation himself. IMO I thought he did it to deflect the conversation away from his friends and housemates to Lily's housemate and boys she was at the very least friendly with. As Lily said, what did they have to do with what she was talking about? She was talking to Snape about people she knew had done wrong and he started talking about a situation she could only surmise about. The werewolf incident had nothing to do with Avery and Mulciber and what they did to Mary.


  #36  
Old July 9th, 2008, 9:17 am
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4561 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I agree; however, I feel it was more than just the sentiment that had Lily concerned; it was the whole Death Eater ideology that went with the idea of blood superiority - supression and even death to Muggles and Muggleborns arising out of the disrespect shown by Mulcider in this instance. The use of dark magic (from Lily's perspective, harmful curses) against others went beyond mere anti-muggle sentiments to the idea of not doing that type of thing to anyone, imo.
Sure, but I thought that was precisely the point I was making.


__________________
  #37  
Old July 9th, 2008, 3:06 pm
ignisia's Avatar
ignisia  Female.gif ignisia is offline
Leader of the GLITTELUTION
 
Joined: 5109 days
Location: Sitting in a Tin Can
Age: 31
Posts: 4,418
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
But while I don't condone the Marauders' stupidity in the werewolf incident, I still don't think we should lose sight of the fact of the seriousness of Lily's concerns about Mulciber/Avery's influence on Severus and the whole anti-Muggle thing. I do think that the worrisome anti-Muggle thing gets lost sometimes in this debate, i.e. how it impinged on Snape and Lily's friendship. It's a really important point that JKR tends to hammer home.
Very true...
I don't, however, think it would have become too much of an issue if the war hadn't been brewing. Maybe a few arguments with Petunia here and there, but on the whole, the ideological difference we saw between the two as small children wasn't that profound, IMO, and Severus' ideas about Muggles could easily have been rectified over the subsequent years if he was frequently exposed to decent ones.

Unfortunately, a war was on, and the beliefs Snape developed as a child made him all the more susceptible to joining a group of kids who would later become DEs. I think those kids only made his prejudice worse. His uses of the word "Mudblood" would be far easier for Lily to spot than if Severus had just continued hating Muggles (since Muggle don't walk into Hogwarts that much...). I can see how that would disturb her...although judging by their argument, I think she was more angry at him and wanted him to see reason rather than worrying about her own safety at that point.

And, as I said earlier, it was easier for Sev to mention where the Marauders were going wrong than to realize where he himself was going wrong. However, the fact is that wrongs were being committed by everyone, and the fact that Lily and Severus both chose only to see one type of wrong and ignore the other was both a huge threat to their friendship and......wrong.


__________________
I am incapable of hating someone who, instead of using a spell to guard the Sorcerer's Stone, uses a logic puzzle.
I'm sorry.



VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Avatar by SIP
  #38  
Old July 9th, 2008, 3:22 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4561 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Very true...
I don't, however, think it would have become too much of an issue if the war hadn't been brewing. Maybe a few arguments with Petunia here and there, but on the whole, the ideological difference we saw between the two as small children wasn't that profound, IMO, and Severus' ideas about Muggles could easily have been rectified over the subsequent years if he was frequently exposed to decent ones.
I think that is very true, Iggy, and I don't think I've seen this point raised before. Sometimes in these discussions I think it is assumed that Severus was prejudiced, end of story. Yes, as a child, he was. He had clearly inherited the anti-Muggle thing from ... somewhere (Rowling never specifies where, but children generally inherit prejudice from their parents and other parental figures). But people can overcome their prejudices. They can change. It is my opinion that in many ways he did, after Lily's death.

Quote:
Unfortunately, a war was on, and the beliefs Snape developed as a child made him all the more susceptible to joining a group of kids who would later become DEs. I think those kids only made his prejudice worse. His uses of the word "Mudblood" would be far easier for Lily to spot than if Severus had just continued hating Muggles (since Muggle don't walk into Hogwarts that much...). I can see how that would disturb her...although judging by their argument, I think she was more angry at him and wanted him to see reason rather than worrying about her own safety at that point.
Again, I agree.

Quote:
And, as I said earlier, it was easier for Sev to mention where the Marauders were going wrong than to realize where he himself was going wrong. However, the fact is that wrongs were being committed by everyone, and the fact that Lily and Severus both chose only to see one type of wrong and ignore the other was both a huge threat to their friendship and......wrong.
It makes for a tragic ending to their friendship.


__________________
  #39  
Old July 9th, 2008, 4:15 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 5274 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Very true...
And, as I said earlier, it was easier for Sev to mention where the Marauders were going wrong than to realize where he himself was going wrong. However, the fact is that wrongs were being committed by everyone, and the fact that Lily and Severus both chose only to see one type of wrong and ignore the other was both a huge threat to their friendship and......wrong.
I would respectfully disagree. In my view, Lily didn't wish to share in Snape's prejudice against werewolves and his suspicions about Remus (which he wasn't supposed to be talking about at all, but brought up - POA). I do not feel that Lily was wrong to become aggravated and miffed at him over that topic. Nor, in my judgment, was Lily willing to share in Snape's wrongful view that there was no difference between dark and light magic. I fail to see where Lily was wrong in that conversation. I believe she had a right to express her view when Snape changed the topic to those points. Those were the only points Snape brought up in that regard.


__________________
  #40  
Old July 9th, 2008, 7:28 pm
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4686 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
And, as I said earlier, it was easier for Sev to mention where the Marauders were going wrong than to realize where he himself was going wrong. However, the fact is that wrongs were being committed by everyone, and the fact that Lily and Severus both chose only to see one type of wrong and ignore the other was both a huge threat to their friendship and......wrong.
I could concede your point except for one thing, their conversation was not about the Maurauders. Snape brought them up IMO to deflect the conversation away from what his friends were doing. I didn't read anything in what Lily was saying to relate to the werewolf episode. Lily didn't want to talk about them, that's true. And she did not want to talk about them because she was trying to talk to Snape about something else. Then Snape dropped the clanger to end all clangers and told her he wouldn't let her...do what? Whatever he was about to say, you could surmise it was going over like a lead balloon. Lily is a strong minded girl, I think she saw through what Snape was doing and his whole attitude was irritating her, but he did not really pay attention to that because by that time he was happy by what she said about James. IMO Lily did not do anything wrong, except she lost her temper when he tried to, well bully is a little strong but it fits the bill in a mild sort of way. IMO the entire scene is a great example of two people having a conversation and hearing entirly different things. Snape did not hear what Lily was saying and Lily did not notice he was not listening.


 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, lily evans potter, severus snape


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:55 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.