Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Which US States have you visited?

Old November 1st, 2007, 8:23 pm
Gwen's Auntie

Which US States have you visited?

I know there is already a thread about which countries we have visited, but I noticed there were a lot of people on that thread, like myself, who haven't been outside of the US. So, if it's ok with the mods, I thought we could start this thread too.

Which states have you visited? Which have you yet to visit? What things did you/ do you want to see there?

To answer my own question:

I have been to: California, Nevada, Utah (obviously), Idaho, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Texas, Illinois, and Tennessee.

I have been to the Four Corners (Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona...you can put your hands and feet out and be in 4 states at once!) but I don't count that as really being there, cause only one extremity was really in two of those places.

I do count Texas and Illinois, though, because even though I was only ever in the airports during layovers, My whole body was in the state.

I think out of all the states, Utah is by far my favorite...but I'm biased. You really have to be an outdoorsy person to fully enjoy everything Utah has to offer. I've gone rafting, hiking, biking, camping, tubing, sledding, horseback riding.

Tennessee was the most interesting vacation, though. I went with my friends for a competition. We stayed in Nashville and saw The Grand Ole Opry, The Hermitage, General Jackson's Showboat, and a lot of the mall! I had read a book that was set in modern day Tennessee, so it was awesome to be able to see the places I had read about.

I also like one small town in Idaho. There are tons of little local art galleries and cool shops. They have this awesome Native American store that sells all kinds of things. When I was little, I bought something from there every time...I ended up with lots of little stones, a rabbit pelt, a necklace, coin purse, magnets, and bracelets.

So what states have you been to? What did you like best? What did you see/do? Where would you recommend to others?

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:25 pm
Rex's Mummy

Re: Which States have you visited?

I've been to Illinois, Wisonsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Nevada, California, and I might be forggeting something. I've also been to D.C.

I really can't choose one that I like most, though I am rather partial to Illinois. Most of them I don't really remember all that well, as I visited them when I was younger. Indiana we just drove through on the way to Ohio, and we may have passed through part of Kentucky one point.

Oh wow, was that a trip!! We were going to Ohio for a family reunion, then after that continued to Pennsylania to visit my aunt. It was my mom, grandpa, and my brother and I, who were around 8 and 10 at the time. It was a really, really long drive, and my brother and I by the end got so incredibly bored an annoying. My grandpa was pretty relieved when he got home, and well, away from us. We did manage to get liscence plates from all 50 states along the way. How we got Alaska and Hawaii I'll never know, but we did!!

I've most recently been to (besides Wisconsin) California, to visit my aunt, uncle, and cousin. We went this past year just after Christmas. I hadn't been out there since I was around 5, so I barely remembered it. It's so beautiful out there, though. The landscape is so incredibly different from what I'm used to here where it's all flat praries and fields, and so incredibly amazing. Where my relatives live you have to drive about an hour to really get anywhere exciting, but it was well worth it, just for the landscapes I got to see.

Another really beautiful drive like that, but different still, is up through Wisconsin into Minnesota. I havve another aunt, uncle, and cousins who live in St. Paul, and since it's really not worth it to fly up there, we usually drive. At some points the roads go straight through rock formations that are so incredible, the colors and everything are amazing. And in some spots, because of where they could build it, one half of the road is actually about 40 feet above the other!!

I'd recommend either of those places, just for the beauty of the landscape, especially if you're used to flat everything like I am!

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old November 2nd, 2007, 2:44 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Have lived in:
- Connecticut
- Nebraska
- Iowa
- California

Have visited:
- New York (when I was little)
- New Jersey (when I was little)
- [Washington D.C.] (when I was little)
- Florida (when I was little)
- Wisconsin
- Minnesota
- Missouri
- Colorado
- Nevada
- Arkansas (the diamond mine is not so fun in sweltering summer heat)
- Illinois

Have passed through and/or stayed the night in during a road trip:
- Arizona
- New Mexico
- Texas
- Oklahoma
- Kansas
- probably a corner of Utah and/or Wyoming

So, not quite half of the 50

...and it's entirely possible that there were others we went to or through when I was little that I don't remember (but flying over them in a plane doesn't count!)

My parents are into doing road trips, and also visiting relatives... and we've had relatives living all over the place

The one that really annoyed me, though, was that when my parents had the choice of taking us to see the Grand Canyon or taking us to see the Hoover Dam, they chose the Hoover Dam I would much rather have seen the Grand Canyon. But we did at least get to see the Grand Canyon Caverns, which were cool -- and really huge -- and had claw-marks on the walls from a giant sloth (extinct Pleistocene/Ice Age creature) that fell in and got trapped...

Last edited by Pox Voldius; November 2nd, 2007 at 3:02 am.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 3:43 am
Fifth Year

Exactly 25.
1. Georgia (this is where I live)
2. Alabama
3. Florida
4.Tennessee
5. Mississippi
6. Arkansas
7. Louisiana
8. Oklahoma
9. Texas
10. New Mexico
11. Arizona
12. Nevada
13. California
14. S. Carolina
15. N. Carolina
16. Hawaii
17. Virginia
18. Maryland
19. Delaware
20. New Jersey
21. New York
22. Pennsylvania
23. W. Virginia
24. Ohio
25. Kentucky

Hopefully, I'll make it to Alaska to visit my older sister next year, so that will be 26!

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old November 3rd, 2007, 3:54 am
First Year

1.Florida (since I live here)
2.Georgia
3.North Carolina
4.Tennesse
5.Indiana
6.Pennsylvania
7.West Virgina
8.Washington D.C.
That's all so far

Insanity is just a state of mind. -- Hawkeye

Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie
if you believe it. --George Costanza
Old November 3rd, 2007, 6:20 am
Student

I've been to:

-Flordia
-North Carolina
-Kentucky
-California
-Colorado
-Missouri
-West Virginia
-Washington, D.C.

And I think that's it. I'd like to go to maybe Hiwaii or Alaska just to see what it's like at those two places. My dad has always wanted to go to Alaska as well.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 6:54 am
Sixth Year

At my age it's easier to list where I haven't been:

Maine, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Oregon, Alaska, and North Dakota. (only 9 states left to see - will probably never get to Alaska -- too cold)

Old November 3rd, 2007, 7:10 am
Sixth Year

Well, let's see. I've been to...

-Arizona (I live here)
- California (right next door to where I live, for the geographically challenged people such as myself)

I don't get out much.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
will probably never get to Alaska -- too cold)
The temperature might be decent if you go there in July

According to Weather.com, the average high for Anchorage in July is 65ºF, and the average high for Fairbanks in July is 73ºF.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 2:35 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius View Post
The temperature might be decent if you go there in July

According to Weather.com, the average high for Anchorage in July is 65ºF, and the average high for Fairbanks in July is 73ºF.
Considering I live in Florida and whip my jacket out when it gets below 70 degrees, I'd rather go back to Hawai'i for my 6th visit. Thanks, anyway.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 6:51 pm
First Year

I've been to Indiana (where I live), Kentucky (live right by the border so I go here all the time. I have a lot of family here and we do most of our shopping here since I live in a small down with two grocery stores and that's it), Florida (have family here too and love going to Disney World!), Georgia (family here and we drive through to get to Florida), Illinois (drive through to get to St. Louis), Missouri (love St. Louis, Branson, and Mansfield. although it was very hard to drive in Branson and we sat in the car forever), North Carolina (visited family), and Tennessee (family and drove through to get to Georgia and Florida).

I've only been on the east side of the US. I want to go California! My sister wants to go to New York. We'll probably go to Washington D.C. sometime because my cousin's moving there. Her (unofficial since he can't afford a ring) fiance got his dream job there.

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old November 3rd, 2007, 8:07 pm
Third Year

I think I've been to just about every state on the east coast...

So, I live in New Jersey, we go to New York and Pennsylvania a lot. We've been to Florida, Maine, Vermont, Virginia, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut...I think we were only passing through W. Virginia, Mass., and Georgia...we've been too North and South Carolina, Delaware, and then Tennessee, Michigan, and Ohio. And I've been to Washington D.C., I think that's it...I can't really remember. We go on vacation some place different every year, so it's hard to remember when we went when I was little.

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)

Last edited by IntricateLogic; November 3rd, 2007 at 8:09 pm.
Old November 4th, 2007, 1:46 am
Sixth Year

I haven't been to alot of places

i've lived in:
Arizona (where i was born, in Casa Grande)
Illinois (grew up in Springfield)
now Wisconsin (menomonie)

i stayed with my granparents a few summers in Utah, where they lived
i think i've been to Florida.
and i've traveled through the states between Arizona and Illinois.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 14th, 2007, 5:01 pm
First Year

I don't even live in the US, but I'll take a go at this anyways

Louisiana (New Orleans)
Georgia
Florida (Disney)
Tennessee (Graceland )
Kentucky (Great Smoky Mountains?)
Maryland (visiting friends)
one of the Virginias (visiting friends)
Delaware (clubbing)
Pennsylvania (work)
New York
New Jersey (Bon Jovi Concert!)
Ohio
Illinois
South Dakota (Badlands National Park I think?)
Utah (Yellowstone National Park?)
Nevada (Reno, Las Vegas)
California (Lake Tahoe, SF, LA)
Arizona (Grand Canyon)
Oklahoma
Texas (6th Floor Museum)

I get my National Parks confused, I don't know if I put them in the right state (not like any of you know which part of Germany the Black Forest is in )

The only place left to see in the US for me is Hawaii.

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old November 14th, 2007, 5:30 pm
Registered Animagus

Iowa (where I currently live)
Illinois
Kansas
Missouri
Arkansas
Colorado
California

and I was on the four corners (Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona) so I don't know if that counts as being at all of them.

Old November 14th, 2007, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbylikesme View Post
I don't even live in the US, but I'll take a go at this anyways

Louisiana (New Orleans)
Georgia
Florida (Disney)
Tennessee (Graceland )
Kentucky (Great Smoky Mountains?)
Maryland (visiting friends)
one of the Virginias (visiting friends)
Delaware (clubbing)
Pennsylvania (work)
New York
New Jersey (Bon Jovi Concert!)
Ohio
Illinois
South Dakota (Badlands National Park I think?)
Utah (Yellowstone National Park?)
Nevada (Reno, Las Vegas)
California (Lake Tahoe, SF, LA)
Arizona (Grand Canyon)
Oklahoma
Texas (6th Floor Museum)

I get my National Parks confused, I don't know if I put them in the right state (not like any of you know which part of Germany the Black Forest is in )

The only place left to see in the US for me is Hawaii.
Mmm... Great Smoky Mountains are in Tennessee (just south of Kentucky) & North Carolina...and Yellowstone is in Wyoming (just north of Utah)...not bad, though!

Black Forest...um...I think it's somewhere in the southern part of Germany?
*goes to look it up*
ooh! I was correct! (though, you're right that I wouldn't have been able to name exactly which German state it was in )

Old November 14th, 2007, 10:37 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius View Post
Mmm... Great Smoky Mountains are in Tennessee (just south of Kentucky) & North Carolina...and Yellowstone is in Wyoming (just north of Utah)...not bad, though!

Black Forest...um...I think it's somewhere in the southern part of Germany?
*goes to look it up*
ooh! I was correct! (though, you're right that I wouldn't have been able to name exactly which German state it was in )
Honestly, I don't even know where exactly the Black Forest is, I'm in the far north, and it's not anywhere around here .
Is Salt Lake City in Utah? I know I drove through all those states, just can't put together the states with the sites I saw. USA in 20 days, you get things mixed up after a while. By the time we reached Grand Canyon, I was like "great, big hole in the ground, can we go now?"

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old November 14th, 2007, 11:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbylikesme View Post
Honestly, I don't even know where exactly the Black Forest is, I'm in the far north, and it's not anywhere around here .
Is Salt Lake City in Utah? I know I drove through all those states, just can't put together the states with the sites I saw. USA in 20 days, you get things mixed up after a while. By the time we reached Grand Canyon, I was like "great, big hole in the ground, can we go now?"
Yes, Salt Lake City is in Utah -- it's the capital city of Utah.

I get what you mean, though. My parents were into doing roadtrips to visit relatives. Like driving from Southern California to Iowa in just 3 days. I'll remember specific places where we stopped, or funny signs that we saw, and I'll remember what general geographic region it was in, but I'll be like "okay, was that sign with the weird street name that was spelled with all Xs, Ys and Zs in Arizona, or was it the next state over?".

edit

Dang, I was a bit off. Zzyzx Road is actually in California, off the I-15 on the way to/from Las Vegas, Nevada. But I did at least remember correctly that it was way out in the desert somewhere. And it is closer to the Nevada & Arizona borders than it is to Los Angeles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzyzx%2C_California

Last edited by Pox Voldius; November 14th, 2007 at 11:40 pm.
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:41 pm
First Year

Mainly North Carolina, Virginia, and Ohio to visit family.

Here I stand before you - brown. Color of the mountains Colossal as the earth Wrapped so deliciously within my own joy and misery Feathers of my wings paralyzed by the distance of my mind Here I stand before you, the color of the night Frozen by the potential of me.

~Will Smith, Afro Angel

"Always" ~Professor Severus Snape

Alan Rickman 2016
Old November 21st, 2007, 5:36 pm
Second Year

Oooh, good - a thread where I can actually name places I've been to, since I've never been out of the U.S.
I have visited the following states: (some of which I don't remember much of, since I was very young)
Maryland (A nice state, parts are very beautiful)

Virginia (Haven't seen much of it, but I like what I have seen)

West Virginia (same as above... mostly just driven through it or visited people there)

DC (not a state obviously, but I'll count it anyway )

Pennsylvania (I've driven all the way through it (north to south) more times than I can count, and it's always beautiful... the people are friendly, too)

New York (Visited relatives there a lot... Lake Ontario is quite nice, and so are the Finger Lakes)

Delaware (Beaches! and farm land!)

New Jersey (More beaches! Cape May and the surrounding area is lovely)

New Hampshire (Cold, but pretty, as I recall)

Vermont (Same as above; the leaves are gorgeous in the autumn.)

Maine (Extremely cold, but lovely. Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island is a wonderful place to visit)

North Carolina (I was about three when I last went there, so I can't remember it at all)

Florida (Beautifully warm in the winter, and the beaches are nice, but it's not one of my favorite places... too humid)

Texas (*cough* I've spent a total of about 4 hours there, in an airport, and none of them were at all pleasant)

New Mexico (Amazing... such wide open spaces.... and huge mountains that seem to pop up out of nowhere...)

Colorado (Absolutely amazingly beautifully wonderfully gorgeous. The American Indian Cliff Dwellings are pretty fascinating, too. It's my favorite state, in case you can't tell. And no, I don't live there, so I'm not biased!)

Arizona (I don't remember much of it, being only two when I was last there, but it's the SW, so it's worth visiting)

Ohio (Only drove through; don't remember much)

Michigan (visited relatives... I remember that I like it, but not much else)

Wisconsin (Cheese! Actually, I don't think I had any there, but I did visit the site of the original "Little House in the Big Woods")

Minnesota (So many mosquitoes! It really is the Minnesota state bird, you know... other than the "birds", I liked it a lot... there are an amazing number of lakes, and the climate is lovely in the summer)

South Dakota (I don't remember much... I was very young)

Wyoming (I remember buffalo, but not much else...)

Montana (Too young to remember)

Idaho (Same)

Iowa (just drove through)

Illinois (same)

Indiana (same)

27... that's more than I thought. I'm over half-way there!

and over our heads will float the Blue Bird, singing of beautiful and impossible things,
of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Last edited by ModernInkling; November 21st, 2007 at 5:58 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall