Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Should prostitution be made legal?



 
 
Thread Tools
  #201  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 8:35 pm
IMissPadfoot's Avatar
IMissPadfoot  Female.gif IMissPadfoot is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4993 days
Location: Away with the fairies
Age: 37
Posts: 1,039
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Agreed that it will be a welcome change from the point of view of a prostitute...but what that would do is lead to drop in the number of er...customers. Why? Because most of them are people who have some kind of not so good background and potential criminals, they wouldn't want to be surveyed. Moreover any general man/woman who goes to them wouldn't want to be caught on camera for certain obvious reasons.
I agree with you, that it might put people off in the sense that they wouldn't want to be caught on camera. However, it isn't just people with dodgy backgrounds that go to prostitues. People from all walks of life do so.


__________________

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Sponsored Links
  #202  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 8:40 pm
mysterious's Avatar
mysterious  Male.gif mysterious is offline
Oracle Octopus
 
Joined: 5223 days
Location: Was right here...
Age: 30
Posts: 4,004
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot View Post
People from all walks of life do so.
That is why I added the obvious reason part at the end, cuz any general man/woman wouldn't want to get his/her pictures/videos being taken whilst they walk into a brothel.


  #203  
Old May 24th, 2007, 3:21 am
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4690 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 34
Posts: 1,974
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Well, that's what I meant about security purposes only - let's say they wipe it every 12 hours or so. If you don't cause trouble, it never gets put onto a hard copy.
I still think that legalizing prostitution would be good for prostitutes because it would give them an address, and should they later choose to get another job, they might have more success because they would have an address. That is one problem a lot of people who live on the streets run across; not getting jobs because they have no address and nowhere to clean themselves up.


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
  #204  
Old May 24th, 2007, 5:52 am
mysterious's Avatar
mysterious  Male.gif mysterious is offline
Oracle Octopus
 
Joined: 5223 days
Location: Was right here...
Age: 30
Posts: 4,004
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
Well, that's what I meant about security purposes only - let's say they wipe it every 12 hours or so. If you don't cause trouble, it never gets put onto a hard copy.
Things are easily misused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I still think that legalizing prostitution would be good for prostitutes because it would give them an address, and should they later choose to get another job, they might have more success because they would have an address. That is one problem a lot of people who live on the streets run across; not getting jobs because they have no address and nowhere to clean themselves up.
I support that from a prostitutes point of view.


  #205  
Old May 24th, 2007, 7:38 am
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4690 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 34
Posts: 1,974
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

The only reason I see to legalize prostitution is to make life better for the prostitutes themselves. I think that it is something that has been going on time out of mind, and people would do well to recognize this and accept it. For any other hazardous job, there are safeguards for the workers. I think that being people, they deserve the same consideration, no matter what drives them in their decision to sell their bodies.


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
  #206  
Old May 24th, 2007, 8:40 am
mysterious's Avatar
mysterious  Male.gif mysterious is offline
Oracle Octopus
 
Joined: 5223 days
Location: Was right here...
Age: 30
Posts: 4,004
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
The only reason I see to legalize prostitution is to make life better for the prostitutes themselves. I think that it is something that has been going on time out of mind, and people would do well to recognize this and accept it. For any other hazardous job, there are safeguards for the workers. I think that being people, they deserve the same consideration, no matter what drives them in their decision to sell their bodies.
Agreed.


  #207  
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:13 am
Kirsten's Avatar
Kirsten  Female.gif Kirsten is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5650 days
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 49
Posts: 1,064
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
An undivided or unbroken completeness or totality with nothing wanting

Moral soundness
That doesn't explain how prostitution destroys a person's integrity.

Decriminalising or even legalising prostitution has to be good for everyone, surely? If prostitution moves off the streets into licensed, well managed brothels, it protects the workers, it protects the people who live in the areas where street prostitution went on, and it protects the public from STDs.


__________________
Member no 4 of AAACCK (Special Protector of MiniEggs) says give blood, carry a donor card
Lots of planets have a North.
When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea...
Do not post "fug/fog" in the mistakes thread. Fug is not a mistake. It's a real word, and the publishers have confirmed it's the correct word.
  #208  
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:52 pm
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 6309 days
Posts: 9,434
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
That doesn't explain how prostitution destroys a person's integrity.
Are you inferring that selling oneself is moral? Unless you're advocating unfettered capitalism, I know of no society or country that would agree with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
Decriminalising or even legalising prostitution has to be good for everyone, surely? If prostitution moves off the streets into licensed, well managed brothels, it protects the workers, it protects the people who live in the areas where street prostitution went on, and it protects the public from STDs.
It would not protect the public from STDs.

To repost:

This website says it best:

Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution is a gift to pimps, traffickers and the sex industry.
Legalization amounts to sanctioning all aspects of the sex industry: the women themselves, the so-called "clients," and the pimps who, under the regime of legalization, are transformed into third party businessmen and legitimate sexual entrepreneurs. Legalization/decriminalization of the sex industry also converts brothels, sex clubs, massage parlors and other sites of prostitution activities into legitimate venues where commercial sexual acts are allowed to flourish legally with few restraints.

Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution and the sex industry promotes sex trafficking.
Legalized or decriminalized prostitution industries are one of the root causes of sex trafficking. One argument for legalizing prostitution in the Netherlands was that legalization would help end the exploitation of desperate immigrant women trafficked for prostitution. A report done for the governmental Budapest Group* stated that 80% of women in the brothels in the Netherlands are trafficked from other countries.
The government of the Netherlands promotes itself as the champion of anti-trafficking policies and programs, yet cynically has removed every legal impediment to pimping, procurement and brothels. In the year 2000, the Dutch Ministry of Justice argued for a legal quota of foreign "sex workers," because the Dutch prostitution market demands a variety of "bodies"

Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not control the sex industry.It expands it.
Contrary to claims that legalization and decriminalization would regulate the expansion of the sex industry and bring it under control, the sex industry now accounts for 5 percent of the Netherlands economy. Over the last decade, as pimping became legalized and then brothels decriminalized in the Netherlands in 2000, the sex industry expanded 25 percent. At any hour of the day, women of all ages and races, dressed in hardly anything, are put on display in the notorious windows of Dutch brothels and sex clubs and offered for sale -- for male consumption. Most of them are women from other countries who have in all likelihood been trafficked into the Netherlands.

Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution increases clandestine, hidden, illegal and street prostitution.
Legalization was supposed to get prostituted women off the street. Many women don't want to register and undergo health checks, as required by law in certain countries legalizing prostitution, so legalization often drives them into street prostitution. And many women choose street prostitution because they want to avoid being controlled and exploited by the new sex "businessmen."

(Basically regulating anything brings out a "black market")

Legalization of prostitution and decriminalization of the sex Industry increases child prostitution.
Another argument for legalizing prostitution in the Netherlands was that it would help end child prostitution. In reality, however, child prostitution in the Netherlands has increased dramatically during the 1990s. The Amsterdam-based ChildRight organization estimates that the number has gone from 4,000 children in 1996 to 15,000 in 2001. The group estimates that at least 5,000 of the children in prostitution are from other countries, with a large segment being Nigerian girls (Tiggeloven: 2001).
Child prostitution has dramatically risen in Victoria compared to other Australian states where prostitution has not been legalized. Of all the states and territories in Australia, the highest number of reported incidences of child prostitution came from Victoria. In a 1998 study undertaken by ECPAT (End Child Prostitution and Trafficking) who conducted research for the Australian National Inquiry on Child Prostitution, there was increased evidence of organized commercial exploitation of children.
(Hey THEY said it!)

Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not protect the women in prostitution.
The Coalition Against Trafficking in Women International (CATW) has conducted 2 major studies on sex trafficking and prostitution, interviewing almost 200 victims of commercial sexual exploitation. In these studies, women in prostitution indicated that prostitution establishments did little to protect them, regardless of whether they were in legal or illegal establishments. "The only time they protect anyone is to protect the customers."

Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution increases the demand for prostitution. It boosts the motivation of men to buy women for sex in a much wider and more permissible range of socially acceptable settings.
With the advent of legalization in countries that have decriminalized the sex industry, many men who would not risk buying women for sex now see prostitution as acceptable. When the legal barriers disappear, so too do the social and ethical barriers to treating women as sexual commodities. Legalization of prostitution sends the message to new generations of men and boys that women are sexual commodities and that prostitution is harmless fun.

Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not promote women's health.
A legalized system of prostitution that mandates health checks and certification only for women and not for clients is blatantly discriminatory to women. "Women only" health checks make no public health sense because monitoring prostituted women does not protect them from HIV/AIDS or STDs, since male "clients" can and do originally transmit disease to the women.

(But I guess we can fix that by mandating blood tests at the brothel? Does anyone think that will work out?)


Legalization/decriminalization of prostitution does not enhance women's choice.
Most women in prostitution did not make a rational choice to enter prostitution. They did not sit down one day and decide that they wanted to be prostitutes. Rather, such "choices" are better termed "survival strategies." Rather than consent, a prostituted woman more accurately complies to the only options available to her. Her compliance is required by the very fact of having to adapt to conditions of inequality that are set by the customer who pays her to do what he wants her to do.


(And here is the big reason...)

Women in systems of Prostitution do not want the sex industry legalized or decriminalized.
In a 5-country study on sex trafficking done by the Coalition Against Trafficking in Women and funded by the Ford Foundation, most of the 146 women interviewed strongly stated that prostitution should not be legalized and considered legitimate work, warning that legalization would create more risks and harm for women from already violent customer and pimps (Raymond et al, 2002). "No way. It's not a profession. It is humiliating and violence from the men's side." Not one woman interviewed wanted her children, family or friends to have to earn money by entering the sex industry. One stated: "Prostitution stripped me of my life, my health, everything."

That website has more info posted. I just gave the highlights.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
  #209  
Old May 24th, 2007, 7:07 pm
Kirsten's Avatar
Kirsten  Female.gif Kirsten is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5650 days
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 49
Posts: 1,064
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Are you inferring that selling oneself is moral? Unless you're advocating unfettered capitalism, I know of no society or country that would agree with that.

It would not protect the public from STDs.
I don't think prostitution is immoral or morally wrong.

If prostitutes are working in licensed brothels, with regular medical testing and mandatory use of condoms, disease is less likely to be passed between them and the punters, and that protects everyone because the people who use prostitutes don't only have sex with prostitutes and prostitutes don't necessarily only have sex with punters.


__________________
Member no 4 of AAACCK (Special Protector of MiniEggs) says give blood, carry a donor card
Lots of planets have a North.
When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea...
Do not post "fug/fog" in the mistakes thread. Fug is not a mistake. It's a real word, and the publishers have confirmed it's the correct word.

Last edited by Kirsten; May 24th, 2007 at 7:08 pm. Reason: typos
  #210  
Old May 24th, 2007, 7:36 pm
OldLupin's Avatar
OldLupin  Male.gif OldLupin is offline
Forum Elephant
 
Joined: 5341 days
Location: Absurdistan
Age: 48
Posts: 2,412
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
I don't think prostitution is immoral or morally wrong.

If prostitutes are working in licensed brothels, with regular medical testing and mandatory use of condoms, disease is less likely to be passed between them and the punters, and that protects everyone because the people who use prostitutes don't only have sex with prostitutes and prostitutes don't necessarily only have sex with punters.
This dismisses the fact that most homeless prostitutes in the U.S. are also drug addicts that won't get licensed or tested anyway. Because the social services system is set up to provide housing, food and support to young unwed mothers and people with no residence, those who choose prostitution are usually suffering from mental illness, drug addiction or both and would not gain anything from this type of legalization except better financed pimps and less likelihood of getting arrested and/or institutionalized. It is not as sterile as is forwarded by proponents.


__________________


Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
  #211  
Old May 24th, 2007, 9:34 pm
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4690 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 34
Posts: 1,974
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLupin View Post
This dismisses the fact that most homeless prostitutes in the U.S. are also drug addicts that won't get licensed or tested anyway. Because the social services system is set up to provide housing, food and support to young unwed mothers and people with no residence, those who choose prostitution are usually suffering from mental illness, drug addiction or both and would not gain anything from this type of legalization except better financed pimps and less likelihood of getting arrested and/or institutionalized. It is not as sterile as is forwarded by proponents.
I just want to mention that it isn't exactly simple to get help if you need it; there are many areas just in the state where I live (California) that it is almost like a joke to be put on a waiting list for things like housing because there are so many people bogging the system already that there isn't really room for new people. I wouldn't lump prostitutes who live on the streets as being a majority of druggies, because I would want to see some sort of proof first. I don't think it is true. Finding services like you describe depends upon the area and state in which you live, as each state tends to have varying laws and unfortunately there is discrimination despite the fact that there shouldn't be.
And I would imagine it would be even more difficult to get help if you are a prostitute because they want to know everything about you, and many people look down on prostitution (and I think that on a personal level that is fine, but it's not okay if you are employed by the state to help people in need) and aren't willing to help them. There are lots of reasons that can be found to make a person not "qualify" for services.


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
  #212  
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:10 pm
canismajoris  Male.gif canismajoris is offline
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star
 
Joined: 5017 days
Location: əɹəɥ
Age: 36
Posts: 2,766
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLupin View Post
This dismisses the fact that most homeless prostitutes in the U.S. are also drug addicts that won't get licensed or tested anyway. Because the social services system is set up to provide housing, food and support to young unwed mothers and people with no residence, those who choose prostitution are usually suffering from mental illness, drug addiction or both and would not gain anything from this type of legalization except better financed pimps and less likelihood of getting arrested and/or institutionalized. It is not as sterile as is forwarded by proponents.
Why? Can you substantiate any of that?


  #213  
Old May 25th, 2007, 2:31 am
Rastaban43's Avatar
Rastaban43  Male.gif Rastaban43 is offline
Representative Homosexual
 
Joined: 5406 days
Location: chaos organisť
Age: 37
Posts: 4,107
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Are you inferring that selling oneself is moral? Unless you're advocating unfettered capitalism, I know of no society or country that would agree with that.
I don't see why it shouldn't be considered moral. OK, I see why people feel that it is, but I don't see why they should. If prostitution is ultimately sex between consenting adults, why is it immoral? Is sex itself immoral? Hmm ... maybe there are some people that think it is, or at least between unmarried partners, so it boils down to a whose-morals-are-right issue. Since we all opporate on different personal morals, I can't be wrong for feeling that prostitution is moral, neither can you be wrong for feeling that it is. However, if people start losing rights over "morals" that don't affect anyone in any clearly adverse way, that process itself should be considered universally immoral.

So sex, eh? People spend weeks and weeks, months and months, even years and years of their lives trying to romance another person into having sex with them. Romance. Is it the same as payment? Sure, why not? People spend lots of money on dinner for another person. Sure, there is more of an attachment, but in the end, that's money spent on another person. Some people just cut out all of the boring in between and skip straight for what they want. If all it is to one of the partners is casual sex, I'd say that leading the other on with gifts and romance is far more immoral (notice I didn't say that it was quite immoral) than prostitution where both parties make a clear agreement of terms up front.


__________________
  #214  
Old May 25th, 2007, 5:26 am
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4690 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 34
Posts: 1,974
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

I agree with that. I think that once personal morals and beliefs that are mostly born out of religious thinking start interfering in how people treat other people in our society, you start running into trouble.
Now, I am very religious and it is my personal belief that people should not sleep around. It is my personal belief that people should be monogamous, and that does not mean having several relationships and only sleeping with that person for the duration of that relationship.
However, I understand that my personal beliefs and convictions are not what should be governing this country. As I said before, prostitution has been around as long as anything else, and anyone who thinks they can stamp it out is probably very delusional. I accept that it happens, and that it keeps happening. So what my concern becomes is making sure that they can have a higher quality of life than they are normally wont to experience. A Federal government that steps in can help do that. Their responsibility is to all citizens, not just some.
Like I said before, for any other hazardous job in this country, precautions are taken for the workers. Just because this isn't a standard job doesn't mean that there aren't people who depend on it for everything they will get.


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
  #215  
Old May 25th, 2007, 9:52 am
DancingMaenid  Undisclosed.gif DancingMaenid is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5251 days
Location: United States
Age: 31
Posts: 2,227
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Personally, I like for sex to be special between two people who care about each other. But morally, I don't see what differentiates between prostitution and picking up random people in bars, having multiple lovers, sleeping with multiple people in a short amount of time, cheating on your spouse or significant other or sleeping with someone because you want their approval.

Ultimately, while not everyone would agree that one or all of the behaviors above are moral, they're all legal because they're personal decisions a person makes that won't necessarily harm anyone (yes, disease is a factor, but disease is also a factor if you travel to remote parts of the world with bad health standards and then fly back on a crowded plane where everyone is breathing the same air as you for several hours. There's no guarentee that having sex, even irresponsible sex, will cause harm).


  #216  
Old May 25th, 2007, 8:50 pm
Kirsten's Avatar
Kirsten  Female.gif Kirsten is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5650 days
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 49
Posts: 1,064
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Many serial killers and rapists have histories of domestic violence, but violence against women is rarely a police priority. In Britain, over 200 women are murdered each year, half of them by a partner or ex-partner. Violent attacks that go unreported or do not result in conviction allow violent men to attack again and again and even go on to murder. The Yorkshire Ripper scandal was followed by Fred and Rosemary West, Ian Huntley, Anthony Hardy and others, all of whom had been reported for violence many times before finally being convicted. Many women and girls would still be alive if their attackers had been prosecuted, convicted and appropriately sentenced the first time they struck.

In 1995 two women brought the first private prosecution for rape in England & Wales when the Crown Prosecution Service refused to prosecute. The vicitms, who had been raped at knifepoint by the same man in almost identical circumstances, had been dismissed as "unreliable witnesses" because they were sex workers. But Christopher Davies was convicted and sentenced to 11 years on the same evidence the CPS had deemed insufficient. The private prosecution set a precedent - it established that prostitute women are entitled to protection, that justice can be done and that prejudices can be overcome if the evidence is properly gathered and presented.

Women who have suffered rape, domestic violence or racist attacks generally get a raw deal from the criminal justice system. The conviction rate for domestic violence is under 5% and 7% for racist attacks. Prostitute women are more vulnerable because of criminalisation - most do not report for fear of being arrested, having their children taken into care, being evicted or deported.

Whatever people think about men paying for sex, surely safety should be the priority?

New Zealand decriminalised prostitution. The NZ Prostitutes Collective says that since decriminalisation, some women have come off the street, there has been no increase in the numbers of women working as prostitutes and decriminalisation has made a big difference to whether women feel able to report rape and other violence.

In the UK, a 2006 review of the prostitution laws reinforced the Government's punitive approach, although there is evidence that zero tolerance and police crackdowns turn women into "undesirables" and push them into isolated areas. The resulting fines and antisocial behaviour orders keeps women working or puts them in jail, separating them from their children.

The Government acknowledges that domestic violence, homelessness, debt and poverty are major factors driving women into prostitution. Roughly 70% of prostitutes are mothers, mostly single mothers. A single mother with 2 children is expected to live on £156 per week and may lose 40% of her benefit if she refuses to name the father of her children, who might well be violent.

On average, women receive 52% of the money that men receive. 30% of children are living in poverty. Housing benefit for young people has been cut. Thousands of asylum seekers have been made deliberately destitute. Is it any wonder people turn to prostitution to survive?

In Britain it is not a crime to be a prostitute - it's a crime to operate a brothel or to solicit for sex, but having sex for money is not a crime. It is 10 x safer for prostitutes to work in brothels rather than on the streets. Surely it makes more sense to decriminalise the brothels and make sure they're licensed and well-managed?

Most sex workers are mothers struggling to support families or young people struggling to survive. Many have been in care or had their children taken from them. Many are in debt. Some choose prostitution as the best of a set of bad choices.

The time and money spent arresting and prosecuting prostitutes should be redirected towards protecting prostitute women from violence. Children who survive by begging and prostitution shouldn't be treated like criminals. Immigrant and refugee women should have the right to seek legal employment. There should be services and viable economic alternatives so that anyone who wants to leave prostitution has help and support to do it.


__________________
Member no 4 of AAACCK (Special Protector of MiniEggs) says give blood, carry a donor card
Lots of planets have a North.
When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea...
Do not post "fug/fog" in the mistakes thread. Fug is not a mistake. It's a real word, and the publishers have confirmed it's the correct word.
  #217  
Old May 26th, 2007, 2:28 pm
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 6309 days
Posts: 9,434
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
I don't think prostitution is immoral or morally wrong.
And I disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
I don't see why it shouldn't be considered moral. OK, I see why people feel that it is, but I don't see why they should. If prostitution is ultimately sex between consenting adults, why is it immoral?
Buying a woman for an hour...and you can't see that as immoral? It isn't just sex you are buying. (I find it disturbing that many of the women posters don't see that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
People spend weeks and weeks, months and months, even years and years of their lives trying to romance another person into having sex with them. Romance. Is it the same as payment? Sure, why not? People spend lots of money on dinner for another person. Sure, there is more of an attachment, but in the end, that's money spent on another person. Some people just cut out all of the boring in between and skip straight for what they want. If all it is to one of the partners is casual sex, I'd say that leading the other on with gifts and romance is far more immoral (notice I didn't say that it was quite immoral) than prostitution where both parties make a clear agreement of terms up front.
I posted something like that earlier and it was not only deleted but I was banned for a while.
A woman will be what she is, no matter the circumstance.
Taking the time to get to know a woman defines a desire for something more than a quick bang in the sack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
However, I understand that my personal beliefs and convictions are not what should be governing this country. As I said before, prostitution has been around as long as anything else, and anyone who thinks they can stamp it out is probably very delusional.
Apparently you ignore not only my posts but history. How many other criminal activities will you condone simply because it has been around a long time and cannot be stamped out?


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
  #218  
Old May 26th, 2007, 4:44 pm
Weazleby  Female.gif Weazleby is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4685 days
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 298
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
So sex, eh? People spend weeks and weeks, months and months, even years and years of their lives trying to romance another person into having sex with them. Romance. Is it the same as payment? Sure, why not? People spend lots of money on dinner for another person. Sure, there is more of an attachment, but in the end, that's money spent on another person. Some people just cut out all of the boring in between and skip straight for what they want.
Maybe I'm sentimental, but I can't see how you can justify prostitution by equaling a loving, intimate relationship with anonymous sex. There's a huge line between prostitution and a romantic relationship. A one-night-stand is similar, but not a relationship. But I don't think the point of legalizing prostitution is to justify its existence, but to acknowlege its existence and to try and clean it up (or get rid of it altogether, depending on how you view the extent to which the government should pry).
Quote:
Personally, I like for sex to be special between two people who care about each other. But morally, I don't see what differentiates between prostitution and picking up random people in bars, having multiple lovers, sleeping with multiple people in a short amount of time, cheating on your spouse or significant other or sleeping with someone because you want their approval.
I agree to some extent.


__________________
[image removed by staff - too many pixels]

UNIQUE: Just because you are unique does not mean you are useful.

MySpace is fun.

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
  #219  
Old May 26th, 2007, 5:49 pm
Rastaban43's Avatar
Rastaban43  Male.gif Rastaban43 is offline
Representative Homosexual
 
Joined: 5406 days
Location: chaos organisť
Age: 37
Posts: 4,107
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Buying a woman for an hour...and you can't see that as immoral? It isn't just sex you are buying. (I find it disturbing that many of the women posters don't see that.)
So considering I wouldn't be buying (or renting) a woman but a man, it'd be OK for me, right?

Seriously, last I checked, prostitution is about sex not servitude. One isn't "buying" a prostitute. One is buying their services. You're trying to make it immoral when it's really just sex. It's shallow, yes, and I can definitely understand why most people feel it's immoral, but really it's just shallow. However, considering the number of perfectly legal shallow things that people do every day, I don't see a great problem with legalising prostitution. Of course, if you think casual sex is immoral, then there's really no reason for you to think that prostitution would be moral.

I'm not trying to convince you personally that it is moral, but I do hope you see that there are plenty of people who feel that it is plenty moral and that it shouldn't be illegal based on that particular moral judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
I posted something like that earlier and it was not only deleted but I was banned for a while.
Are you saying that my comment was inappropriate because if you think so, report me and I'll stand by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazleby View Post
Maybe I'm sentimental, but I can't see how you can justify prostitution by equaling a loving, intimate relationship with anonymous sex. There's a huge line between prostitution and a romantic relationship. A one-night-stand is similar, but not a relationship.
Yes, I agree about the huge line. I said that a little tongue in cheek since a relationship is very meaningful and cannot really be compared to prostitution. But I meant the last sentence of that graph which you left out of my quote:

"If all it is to one of the partners is casual sex, I'd say that leading the other on with gifts and romance is far more immoral ... than prostitution where both parties make a clear agreement of terms up front."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazleby View Post
But I don't think the point of legalizing prostitution is to justify its existence, but to acknowlege its existence and to try and clean it up (or get rid of it altogether, depending on how you view the extent to which the government should pry).
I think it's sad that all we can do is resort to is acknowledging something. Is a problem ever really that bad? Maybe it's just me, but I stand up for morals that I believe in. I respect that there are vast differences of opinion (especially in this thread), but after studying and debating if you sincerely believe that prostitution is immoral and wrong, you should stand firm. The people who want prostitution legalised don't necessarily want mere "acknowledgment". They want acceptance.


__________________
  #220  
Old May 26th, 2007, 5:59 pm
canismajoris  Male.gif canismajoris is offline
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star
 
Joined: 5017 days
Location: əɹəɥ
Age: 36
Posts: 2,766
Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Buying a woman for an hour...and you can't see that as immoral? It isn't just sex you are buying. (I find it disturbing that many of the women posters don't see that.)
Why should everyone have the same morals? You're never going to win an argument in those terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
A woman will be what she is, no matter the circumstance. Taking the time to get to know a woman defines a desire for something more than a quick bang in the sack.
If only that were even somewhat true... plus as Rusty and others have pointed out repeatedly, there are male prostitutes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Apparently you ignore not only my posts but history. How many other criminal activities will you condone simply because it has been around a long time and cannot be stamped out?
You can't use its illegality as a reason to say it should be illegal, that's just nonsense. I haven't ignored any of the lengthy and sometimes irrelevant things you've posted, and I still don't agree with your point. I understand it seems overwhelmingly obvious to you that prostitution is wrong, but if prostitution had never been illegal I guarantee you'd have a different opinion of it. The repeated attempts to equate human trafficking and prostitution have failed, in my opinion (and that's my point about the links you've posted). However strong the connection may be in some parts of the world, even here, the elimination of prostitution would not be the end of human trafficking. You know why? Because the people perpetrating these crimes are going to exploit people no matter what we do short of putting them in jail.



Last edited by canismajoris; May 26th, 2007 at 6:06 pm.
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 3:33 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.